ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

DaneMcCloud 06-24-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9772890)
You're depressing me. :sulk:

Sorry, Man.

Game of Thrones is produced overseas, where it's far less expensive to film, no unions, etc. and it still costs $3.5 to $4 million per episode to produce. So if you do the simple math, you're looking at $48 to $52 million per season.

To do a new version of Star Trek, you're easily looking at $5-6 million per episode because it would be filmed in Los Angeles on the Paramount with tons of VFX.

For comparison, TNG cost nearly $3 million per when it went off the air in 1994 and Paramount could no longer afford it.

Frazod 06-24-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9772936)
Sorry, Man.

Game of Thrones is produced overseas, where it's far less expensive to film, no unions, etc. and it still costs $3.5 to $4 million per episode to produce. So if you do the simple math, you're looking at $48 to $52 million per season.

To do a new version of Star Trek, you're easily looking at $5-6 million per episode because it would be filmed in Los Angeles on the Paramount with tons of VFX.

For comparison, TNG cost nearly $3 million per when it went off the air in 1994.

Would it have to film in LA? Couldn't they farm it out somewhere else to cut costs?

DaneMcCloud 06-24-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9772942)
Would it have to film in LA? Couldn't they farm it out somewhere else to cut costs?

I doubt that Paramount would do that because it's one of their highest profile properties. Then of course, you're looking at the added expense of housing actors and a crew six months out of the year, which becomes very expensive rather quickly.

That's especially difficult for a show with a limited audience on what would most likely be a syndicated or non-premium cable network.

Red Brooklyn 06-24-2013 03:13 PM

Does anyone know what BSG cost per episode?

Frazod 06-24-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9772963)
I doubt that Paramount would do that because it's one of their highest profile properties. Then of course, you're looking at the added expense of housing actors and a crew six months out of the year, which becomes very expensive rather quickly.

That's especially difficult for a show with a limited audience on what would most likely be a syndicated or non-premium cable network.

You make it sound impossible. How did they do the new Battlestar Galatica so well? Great stories and the special effects about as close to real as most movies, a talented cast and you'd actually heard of a couple of them. That show didn't have a fraction of the following Star Trek does.

mr. tegu 06-24-2013 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9772976)
You make it sound impossible. How did they do the new Battlestar Galatica so well? Great stories and the special effects about as close to real as most movies, a talented cast and you'd actually heard of a couple of them. That show didn't have a fraction of the following Star Trek does.

DaneMcCloud 06-24-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9772976)

It cost nearly $2 million per episode when it went off the air. I don't think that SyFy has attempted anything as ambitious since.

With Star Trek, you're going to pay at least $2 million in salary alone given the sheer number of cast mates and necessary star power in order to pull off Kirk, Spock and Bones.

If the show is successful, those salaries will double in no time.

Frazod 06-24-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9773029)
It cost nearly $2 million per episode when it went off the air. I don't think that SyFy has attempted anything as ambitious since.

With Star Trek, you're going to pay at least $2 million in salary alone given the sheer number of cast mates and necessary star power in order to pull off Kirk, Spock and Bones.

If the show is successful, those salaries will double in no time.

Ironically, the last time Battlestar Galactica was on SyFy was the last time I watched SyFy.

Deberg_1990 06-24-2013 07:09 PM

SyFy channel is soo cheap. So much potential wasted.

Frazod 06-24-2013 07:13 PM

I know I'm missing out by not seeing Mega Shark v. Giant Octopus VIII.

WhiteWhale 06-24-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9772702)
More reliant? Nah, not really. I think the fact that Into Darkness has doubled its overseas earnings is more of a pleasant surprise (if not outright shock) than something Paramount was expecting to happen.

Overseas earnings rarely play into the reasoning behind producing and funding a Hollywood movie. Banking on non-Americans to get behind American films and concepts, especially in the wake of a non-movie star type of film such as Star Trek, is not the type of gamble that studios and producers like to make.

I don't know.

SFX extravaganzas seem to consistently draw big overseas. I mean even 2012 made a ton of money didn't it?

People don't need a translator to understand a spectacle. Obviously you know more first hand than I, but even still it seems surprising that very wealthy and intelligent people overseeing these enormous investments would overlook this.

Bowser 06-25-2013 11:12 AM

By the way, did anyone read the Playboy interview with Abrams last month? He was asked about the direction he would take the universe, and he wouldn't really give an answer, but it was implied that he didn't like the storytelling or "ideas" of the original movies. After the discussion on him in regards to what he's done with Star Trek, chew on that for a bit thinking about him and Star Wars.

patteeu 06-25-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9774388)
By the way, did anyone read the Playboy interview with Abrams last month? He was asked about the direction he would take the universe, and he wouldn't really give an answer, but it was implied that he didn't like the storytelling or "ideas" of the original movies. After the discussion on him in regards to what he's done with Star Trek, chew on that for a bit thinking about him and Star Wars.

Maybe it just means he didn't like the Ewoks. I know I didn't really care for them.

Bowser 06-25-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9774410)
Maybe it just means he didn't like the Ewoks. I know I didn't really care for them.

You might be on to something, but could we the moviegoer really be so lucky?

patteeu 06-25-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9774429)
You might be on to something, but could we the moviegoer really be so lucky?

Probably not.