ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Costas: Redskins 'an insult, a slur' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277422)

A Salt Weapon 10-14-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10084506)
Unpossible!

There are tons of people who know people that are 1/16th Cherokee and they don't care! I read it here on Chiefsplanet.

Easy there, I am 1/16th Cherokee and I don't even care.

Prison Bitch 10-14-2013 09:32 AM

Are we supposed to care what he thinks?

BWillie 10-14-2013 09:32 AM

If there is a racist name out there, Redskins ought to be it. I can see why they want it to be changed, but I don't see why people are up in arms over Chiefs, Illini, Sioux, Indians etc. Those clearly are not racist names, in fact, those teams were named as such to honor native americans. With that said, I don't think a halftime of a game should be used to give political opinions one way or another.

oldandslow 10-14-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris616 (Post 10084542)
What tribe ? My dad's side is Fort Peck Assiniboine . No doubt it needs to go , but this isnt being addressed right now for nothing . Changing the name will change nothing in respects to the global assimilation of all peoples and resources into a one world system. This talk of getting rid of the caricatures is troubling in that its a sure thing to be a smoke screen for something worse going down they dont want the masses to look at. They are running out issues like this to fix in order to give them more time and they are running out of time as well. People are pissed.

I am Choctaw...my wife is Lakotah...We have spent most of married lives around my wife's people in S. Dakota.

I agree that changing the name changes nothing and is basically just an academic exercise.

Still it needs to go.

FringeNC 10-14-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10084493)
That is why the last poll shows 90% of native americans don't think so.

But..but 90% of wealthy white liberals are offended. That's all that matters.

ThaVirus 10-14-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 10084559)
Easy there, I am 1/16th Cherokee and I don't even care.

So that would mean one of your great, great grandparents were Native American? Truthfully, you're so far removed from the culture I don't think you can claim that "even you aren't offended".

MTG#10 10-14-2013 09:38 AM

Im trying to decide if I would be offended by a team calling themselves The Whiteskins...nope wouldn't give a shit.

ThaVirus 10-14-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10084587)
So that would mean one of your great, great grandparents were Native American? Truthfully, you're so far removed from the culture I don't think you can claim that "even you aren't offended".

I should say this biologically speaking. For all I know you live in a teepee.

lcarus 10-14-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10084568)
Are we supposed to care what he thinks?

Yes, because he speaks in a serious tone and articulates his words very well. Someone needs to steal that tools lunch money.

hometeam 10-14-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10084526)
Would you be comfortable calling a native american that you didn't know a redskin to his face?

I wouldn't. Because it is not a word I, or 99.9% of the rest of the world would ever use to describe someone.

Are you advocating for the government to step in and force a private entity to change its name?

If so, that is a whole different issue, albeit one in which the outcome will still be the same.

If not, then bitch about it all you want, but its up to the business owner, and he has already said he is not doing it.

Let it go.

hometeam 10-14-2013 09:43 AM

Westchester Crazy Crackers?

I kind of like it.

Direckshun 10-14-2013 09:54 AM

I really think they should change their name, yes.

It's their call. But it should be done.

hometeam 10-14-2013 09:56 AM

.1% of the population benefits from something? Do it!

I mean ****, works for Wall Street, why not other interest groups?

Bewbies 10-14-2013 09:56 AM

The Chiefs will be renamed as well. Warriors will be out. Global warming will put an end to the Miami Heat.

jspchief 10-14-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10084609)
I wouldn't. Because it is not a word I, or 99.9% of the rest of the world would ever use to describe someone.

Are you advocating for the government to step in and force a private entity to change its name?

If so, that is a whole different issue, albeit one in which the outcome will still be the same.

If not, then bitch about it all you want, but its up to the business owner, and he has already said he is not doing it.

Let it go.

I didn't say shit about the government. And I'm not bitching about it.

But to claim it's not a slur is intellectually dishonest, because it is and everyone knows it is.