ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Walking Dead ***With Comic Spoilers*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230850)

Buck 11-01-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7136913)
As a matter of fact I just found an article on that. These are the 18-49 ratings for the show, compared to the rest of last night. It beat network programs in that demo:

Sundays, Aug. 1 – Oct. 31, 2010

Sunday 18-49 overnights

7.0 NBC Football
3.8 MLB Baseball
3.5 Desperate Housewives
3.3 The Walking Dead
2.9 Undercover Boss
2.6 CSI Miami
2.5 Amazing Race
2.3 Brothers & Sisters

I have a feeling that the ratings will only jump. The word of mouth on this show is going to be batshit crazy. All the review sites and other TV web forums that I have read, everyone loved it. This has the potential to blow up into the biggest Cable TV show since The Sopranos.

keg in kc 11-01-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7136897)
True Blood Debuted to 1.44 million people.

I love the books True Blood is based on. I've watched virtually every episode the night it premiered. So I hope people don't take this as some kind of anti-True Blood bias...

I really hope Walking Dead maintains that audience, because their premeire episode was exponentially better than any episode True Blood has ever had.

Dunit35 11-01-2010 05:41 PM

My favorite part was easily the crawling zombie/sniping incident, it had good music background and made me feel sorry for the zombie.

keg in kc 11-01-2010 05:44 PM

As far as particular elements of the show go, I didn't even notice his accent. And I loved the way they used silence for atmosphere, and used background music sparingly. I thought it was the complete antithesis of hackneyed melodramatic film scoring.

(Which I realize is a characteristic of AMC shows, or rather it's been a characteristic of the ones I've watched)

Buck 11-01-2010 05:47 PM

Yeah, I didn't notice the accent being "bad" at all. I think in the brief 1 minute clips that I saw, I was just not hearing enough to know that it was a good accent. I'm not disappointed at all. The first episode was almost perfect, IMO. The only gripes I had were the CG Blood, and in the tank when he shoots the soldier zombie, the camera angle changes, then changes back to showing the zombie, and the blood spatter is just not there.

keg in kc 11-01-2010 05:50 PM

Oh wow, I didn't realize Bear McCreary did the scoring for The Walking Dead. No wonder I liked the way it was scored. (He did Battlestar Galactica, for people who don't know him).

He has a really sweet run-down on his blog: http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4964

cookster50 11-01-2010 05:53 PM

Can't seem to find this online(and by that I mean, free, legal method of viewing online). That stinks.

Fish 11-01-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7136944)
As far as particular elements of the show go, I didn't even notice his accent. And I loved the way they used silence for atmosphere, and used background music sparingly. I thought it was the complete antithesis of hackneyed melodramatic film scoring.

(Which I realize is a characteristic of AMC shows, or rather it's been a characteristic of the ones I've watched)

Absolutely. When he was in the pitch black stairwell, and only had light between matches, with nothing but quiet...

Man, not a single zombie in that scene, and it was still scary and suspenseful as ****...

Buck 11-01-2010 06:06 PM

Okay, each week after the episode airs, I will update the OP with TV Critic Reviews and AMC videos and pictures about that specific episode.

irishjayhawk 11-01-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7136989)
Absolutely. When he was in the pitch black stairwell, and only had light between matches, with nothing but quiet...

Man, not a single zombie in that scene, and it was still scary and suspenseful as ****...

It's also a choice made in No Country for Old Men which, coincidentally, won best sound editing.

jiveturkey 11-01-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 7136798)
Don't even start with I Am Legend. Epic failure. There has not (to my knowledge) been a worse adaptation ever made.

Did you ever see the original? It's flat terrible.

cookster50 11-01-2010 07:51 PM

Ok, just finished watching it. Can't wait for the next episode, so far so good.

the Talking Can 11-01-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7136965)
Oh wow, I didn't realize Bear McCreary did the scoring for The Walking Dead. No wonder I liked the way it was scored. (He did Battlestar Galactica, for people who don't know him).

He has a really sweet run-down on his blog: http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4964

cool link

and their makeup guy did Evil Dead II, which has been on cable all week....

love it

Jerm 11-01-2010 09:21 PM

Loved it...lived up my expectations and then some.

Already watched it twice...probably will watch it again tonight.

Easily my new favorite show and I can't wait to see where this season goes.

Only a matter of time before we get a Season 2 after those monster ratings.

aturnis 11-01-2010 11:42 PM

The audience will grow after I let a few guys at work how good it was. A couple of them don't even seem to know it ever existed...