ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Who has a tankless hot water heater? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251182)

crossbow 10-11-2011 04:46 PM

I like having hot water stored in a tank when we lose power to the house for a day or two. So when my old tank died i got another one.

chris 10-11-2011 05:04 PM

I've had 3 gas Titan's. Love them. endless HOT water. More expensive to install. Have to vent fumes outside.

Well worth the $$.

ChiefEd 10-11-2011 08:47 PM

Replaced our tank with a Noritz Gas unit about 5 years ago. Absolutely love it. They had to run larger gas lines to the garage, so it cost a few extra bucks, but well worth it. Haven't had any maintenance on it at all.

We have two kids that shower for days. All four us can take showers back to back (not together so no need to reply with Arkansas jokes) and the hot water just keeps coming.

Gas bill went down a little bit as well. Only negative whatsoever is that if you're the first person taking a shower it takes a slight bit longer for the water to get hot. About 30 seconds, as opposed to about 10 with the tank. Once it gets there it's plenty hot.

I'll never have a tank again, God willing...

Buehler445 10-11-2011 09:00 PM

The one we have hasn't ever put out "tepid" water.

The Bad Guy 10-11-2011 10:01 PM

I think I'm going to just get a 50 gallon tank. The HVAC guy I had a contract with basically just closed up shop and he was giving me a great deal on a Rinnai.

The other installers in the area aren't nearly as good as his prices.

I can go out and buy my own, but it's going to cost me a good penny to have the new HVAC guy install it.

At this point, a 50 gallon tank seems like the way to go. At most, I'm going to be a family of 5 one day and that should be good enough.

FRCDFED 10-12-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 7988005)
I think I'm going to just get a 50 gallon tank. The HVAC guy I had a contract with basically just closed up shop and he was giving me a great deal on a Rinnai.

The other installers in the area aren't nearly as good as his prices.

I can go out and buy my own, but it's going to cost me a good penny to have the new HVAC guy install it.

At this point, a 50 gallon tank seems like the way to go. At most, I'm going to be a family of 5 one day and that should be good enough.

You should reconsider. I have a "gas" tankless system and would NEVER go back to a tank. Since it heats on demand it can sometimes take a moment to heat up when the demand is low such as a bath room sink. However, a shower or tub increases the demand and it heats up as quick as a normal tank. Plus you have ENDLESS hot water. My daughter used to use all the hot water taking showers (as girls do) but now I never run out. It is one of the finer pleasures in life. Anyway, I've heard many complaints about the electric versions but you can't go wrong with a gas unit. It heats up fast and maintains the temp. Mine even has an electronic control where I adjust the temp of the water coming in. I've had mine for three years and have no maintenance yet.

2bikemike 10-12-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 7987311)
With a couple of kids in the house I want the hot water to run out when their showers are way too long.

When my kids were at home we had one boy that would take long showers using up all the hot water. I put a quick end to it. I would give him about 10 minutes then I would close the hot water valve on the water heater.
Yeah I was a dick of a father, but none of my kids stayed living at home after high school. And none of them want to come back home to live.

Rooster 10-12-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 7988525)
When my kids were at home we had one boy that would take long showers using up all the hot water. I put a quick end to it. I would give him about 10 minutes then I would close the hot water valve on the water heater.
Yeah I was a dick of a father, but none of my kids stayed living at home after high school. And none of them want to come back home to live.

Not only is that a great idea, it sounds really fun too. :D

listopencil 10-12-2011 12:56 PM

I do. I haven't gotten it to work yet, though.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/...9acbfe9b99.jpg

listopencil 10-12-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 7988525)

I did the same thing. Only now my 20-somethings will take a shower in room temp water without it bothering them. They'll also eat anything and don't really give a shit about fashion.

notorious 10-12-2011 01:13 PM

I called Rinnai about their outdoor tankless system, since i didn't want to install intake + exhaust pipes. I told the rep I lived in SW Kansas where we can get -30 with the wind chill.

He proceeded to tell me it would not be a problem. I told my plumber friend about it and he laughed his ass off.

Stay away from the outdoor units unless you live south of Dallas. I am just going to have to install the ****ing exhaust and intakes. BTW, gas is a LOT more powerful then the electric. Just check the manuals for how many gallons per minute they can heat, even a mid line gas kicks the shit out of a beast electric heater.

The Bad Guy 10-12-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 7988340)
You should reconsider. I have a "gas" tankless system and would NEVER go back to a tank. Since it heats on demand it can sometimes take a moment to heat up when the demand is low such as a bath room sink. However, a shower or tub increases the demand and it heats up as quick as a normal tank. Plus you have ENDLESS hot water. My daughter used to use all the hot water taking showers (as girls do) but now I never run out. It is one of the finer pleasures in life. Anyway, I've heard many complaints about the electric versions but you can't go wrong with a gas unit. It heats up fast and maintains the temp. Mine even has an electronic control where I adjust the temp of the water coming in. I've had mine for three years and have no maintenance yet.

It's basically just running into a cost thing now. The old contracted installer was going to vent it and included the installation kit for around 950.

All of the other installers now want about 1900 for the unit and to do an install. I just can't justify that right now.

TimeForWasp 10-30-2012 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just put a propane (Marey) brand 3.1 gpm unit in my travel trailer. I absolutely love this thing. So tired of walking across the park to use their bathroom. I picked it up on Ebay (new) for $219. I have been doing hillbilly mods to this old travel trailer big time. really love this tankless water heater. I also put a used pellet stove in. Love that too. I put my skirting on and I'm ready for a North Idaho winter. I know . "Who gives a shit" but I guess I'm easily amused.

Rain Man 10-30-2012 06:27 PM

I'm going to sound like a nut job when I say this, but remember that I'm a child of the Cold War.

I kind of like having a tank in the house, because if there's some sort of major emergency it's a good water supply for a couple of days.

WV 10-30-2012 06:29 PM

The expense of Propane turned me from installing one. If I had Natural gas I would have been all over a tankless gas water heater.