ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

gblowfish 04-24-2012 04:15 PM

Duncan, do you think Chen will have a winning record this year?

duncan_idaho 04-24-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8563250)
Duncan, do you think Chen will have a winning record this year?

Honestly?

I don't give a flying f*** what his record is.

I care what type of ERA and ERA+ he posts, whether his BABIP and BAA stats stay the same as they have the past two years.

I care about his walk ratios.

Those are the true indicators of a pitcher's value. Plenty of pitchers have put up crappy W totals while pitching on great teams. Plenty have put up gaudy W totals while pitching on shitty teams.

Wins are the most worthless stat in baseball. Worse even than saves, in my opinion.

Shogun 04-24-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8563105)
Where is he in wins?
How many All Star Appearances?

He has one opening day start.
One.

You guys sure know how to polish a turd, I'll say that!

Hey, I like Chen. He's one of the positives we've had in this crap fest month. Will he keep it up? His history says no. He's a journeyman, and he's been injury prone. He's just not the kind of guy you can build a contender on, and he certainly shouldn't be your #1. That should be Hoch, but Hoch is way too inconsistent.

lol are you ****ing serious

duncan_idaho 04-24-2012 04:24 PM

Here's how much I hate Ws as a stat...

I think Quality Starts is about the dumbest statistical invention in baseball, especially considering it is a new stat and makes no adjustment for year-to-year trends (i.e., it would be much better if the pitcher had to have an ERA for the game equal to or lower than the league average ERA for that year to count it as a quality start).

And I would still place more value in it over Ws.

Something I'd add...

George, you're too much of a baseball fan to limit yourself to a 1980s way of thinking about it. Statistics don't replace everything, but they can add a lot of targeted insight to your enjoyment of the game.

lewdog 04-24-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8563255)

Wins are the most worthless stat in baseball. Worse even than saves, in my opinion.

Yup, this says it perfectly. Great post.

siberian khatru 04-24-2012 04:32 PM

Bruce Chen > Storm Davis

tk13 04-24-2012 05:16 PM

Chen is really terribly underrated. Now whether he'd be doing the same thing in the Yankees rotation, I don't know. But he's been rocking it pretty solid for a couple years now. The guy posted a 3.77 ERA in the American League last year. That's pretty tough. Especially when you don't strike anyone out.

But on the flipside, if he even posted a 4 ERA for the Yankees, he'd probably have a winning record... so there's that.

alnorth 04-24-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8563255)

Hmmm, here's a question: which stat is more worthless, Wins or RBI?

Ready....... go.

Mama Hip Rockets 04-24-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8562765)
Chen currently has a 2.52 ERA, but that won't last. He'll be up in the low to mid 4's before the AS Break.

And he's O-2.

He's had a couple of good starts lately, but he's a career journeyman. The Royals are his 11th different team. He's a slighly over .500 pitcher in the NL and a below .500 pitcher in the AL with a career ERA around 5.

If you think he'd start for St. Louis, or the Yanks, or the Dodgers, or the Giants, or the Nats, or Philly, or a host of other teams, than you're the one that is an idiot.

Dude is a poor man's Jamie Moyer at best. He's OK as a #5 starter, but not much more than that.

A) His ERA was 3.77 last year and 4.17 the year before, and he's looked better than ever so far this year. Not sure how that guarantees low-to-mid 4's by the All-Star Break
B) His career ERA is 4.48. That is not really around 5 at all, actually.
C) He is 0-2? Is that a serious complaint? Do you know anything about baseball at all?
D) You named six teams out of thirty. That is 1/5 of the teams, not 3/4. Continue...

Mama Hip Rockets 04-24-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8563105)
Where is he in wins?
How many All Star Appearances?

He has one opening day start.
One.

You guys sure know how to polish a turd, I'll say that!

Okay, I take back my comment asking if you know anything about baseball. You've answered clear as a bell.

Mama Hip Rockets 04-24-2012 07:59 PM

Drew Hutchinson is 1-0 with an 8.44 ERA. He is so awesome.

gblowfish 04-24-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 8563839)
Okay, I take back my comment asking if you know anything about baseball. You've answered clear as a bell.

His career won loss is 60-60 for eleven different teams.
HOSANA!!!

Mama Hip Rockets 04-24-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8563157)
Hey man, I'm just sayin Bruce Chen ain't Justin Verlander.

I think everybody knows that, ace, but that's not all you're saying. You said he would be a number 5 on 3/4 of major league teams, which is arguably the dumbest thing anyone has ever said in the history of this board.

Mama Hip Rockets 04-24-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8563853)
His career won loss is 60-60 for eleven different teams.
HOSANA!!!

Felix Hernandez sucks.

Mama Hip Rockets 04-24-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8563527)
Hmmm, here's a question: which stat is more worthless, Wins or RBI?

Ready....... go.

Definitely wins.