ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports *** Official Youth, High School, College and International Wrestling Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268908)

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-11-2015 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11376633)
Yes. First year. Division I. It just drives me freaking nuts how inconsistent he is.

Maybe throw in a few international style practices this spring/summer. Freestyle and Greco are different enough that he could get that fire going again.

Iowanian 03-11-2015 04:32 PM

watched a couple of their matches, they had a great tournament Rico. Felt pretty bad for the other kid we talked about.

rico 03-11-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11376582)
Any post-season wrestling plans for the bros, Rico?

Starting off with the Mick Pickford Tri-State (IA, IL, MO) tourney in a couple weeks and from then on they will be hitting the freestyle and Greco scene hard. Both of their goals are to be All Americans at Fargo.

For college, I will be following diligently because I am in 2 pools and a fantasy wrestling league.

rico 03-11-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11376560)
Soooooo cool!!!

Thanks man!

rico 03-11-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11376670)
Maybe throw in a few international style practices this spring/summer. Freestyle and Greco are different enough that he could get that fire going again.

This for sure. It will totally diversify your boys style and capabilities for folkstyle due to experiencing different positions that he wouldn't find himself in during folkstyle.

rico 03-11-2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 11376681)
watched a couple of their matches, they had a great tournament Rico. Felt pretty bad for the other kid we talked about.

Thanks man! Brennan wrestled real well on the winner side, but man did he make some bone-headed mistakes that cost him in the consol-semis and for 5th and 6th. Freshman stuff, I hope...he could have very well pushed for 3rd of you take away 1-2 giant mistakes he made.

Shea wrestled pretty solid. He was set on winning it this year, and frankly... The champ dominated him...I felt bad for him for falling short there, but was happy about how he did as a whole. Nothing came easy for him like it did his 3 bros... He had to work his tail off and take baby steps in terms of progression since he was a 1st grader...and he has turned out to be a great little wrestler. I'm proud of my baby bros. :)

Sorter 03-11-2015 05:12 PM

Congrats Rico. Your brothers look good. Hope they can bring home some hardware this summer!

rico 03-11-2015 05:12 PM

If you guys were to select sleeper picks or surprise champs for NCAA Championships for each weight, who would you select to do well? I'm in a pool where the lower a guy is ranked, the more points you get if he does well.

Who are your picks for the champs at each weight?

Sorter 03-11-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11301816)
Thanks. That's awesome!

They haven't really been teaching them that technique. It's been mainly double-leg sprawls, trying to get head control as you sprawl then spin to gain the opponent's back and score, break them down with a chop or ankle pick and run a half. Which tends to work all day with Division I around here, but I imagine isn't going to serve them well in the long run.

I'd definitely try to get your son drilling down blocking quite a bit.

rico 03-11-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11376794)
Congrats Rico. Your brothers look good. Hope they can bring home some hardware this summer!

Thanks man! They need to hit the weights real hard in the offseason and the older one needs to figure something out on bottom... If they do that, I think they will hopefully be on their way.

Sorter 03-11-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11376797)
If you guys were to select sleeper picks or surprise champs for NCAA Championships for each weight, who would you select to do well? I'm in a pool where the lower a guy is ranked, the more points you get if he does well.

My picks aren't very imaginative.

Champs:
125- Waters
133- Clark
141-Steiber
149- Houdashelt
157- Martinez
165- Dieringer
174- Kokesh
184- Dean
197- J'Den
HWT- McMullan

rico 03-11-2015 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11376819)
My picks aren't very imaginative.

Champs:
125- Waters
133- Clark
141-Steiber
149- Houdashelt
157- Martinez
165- Dieringer
174- Kokesh
184- Dean
197- J'Den
HWT- McMullan

My fantasy team consists of a lot of the guys you suggested the day before our draft...if they were available. I'm not winning, but I'm doing good. 3rd out of 12 teams so far!

Sorter 03-11-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11376823)
My fantasy team consists of a lot of the guys you suggested the day before our draft...if they were available. I'm not winning, but I'm doing good. 3rd out of 12 teams so far!

What's your lineup look like?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-11-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11376797)

Guys who didn't wrestle a full season got punished a bit in seeding. Im not sure if your pool is going off ranking or seeds, but if seeds, then Cory Brewer of OU is an obvious pick at 133. He is the 13 seed, but could place top 4. Tough weight though.

Hunter Stieber and Josh Kindig went unseeded at 149, but both are injury concerns. Stieber's elbows are shot and he got rag dolled in the consi-semis against an inferior wrestler at Big Tens. In his previous wins, he asked the ref not to raise his arm after the match. Serious pain.

Storley at 174 is a 6 seed and could easily make the finals.

Nick Dardanes at 141 is a 6 seed and could also make the finals, but there is speculation about his health as well.

Devin Carter at the 4 seed (141) is ridiculous, but the best he will do is 3rd because Stieber is on his side

Zack Beitz (12) at 149 has a good draw but with a limited ceiling (low AA)

Pierce Harger at 165 is a dangerous wrestler as a 7 seed. Avoids Dieringer, Sulzer,and Bo Jordan on the opposite side of the brcket. Tough first round draw though.

Brett Pfarr the 11 seed at 184 could make a run. The bottom side of that bracket is pretty open.

Coon as the 6 seed at 285 is a pretty decent pick.

TLO 03-11-2015 06:49 PM

I always thought this was a parody thread. Huh.