ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Is this 'Pistol'/Option Read offense a gimmick or .... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268952)

Chiefshrink 01-16-2013 12:36 AM

Is this 'Pistol'/Option Read offense a gimmick or ....

here to stay? It is exciting to watch and no the defenses have not caught up to figure out how to defense it, YET. But when they do with that being said, whether the QB fakes the hand off or decides to run or pulls up to pass after a fake handoff he is getting hit a helluva a lot more than your standard pocket passer. And you can bet the defense will be instructed to hit the QB hard regardless. Vick's injury history and now RGIII's injuries makes you wander how often a team will use these type of plays during a game. This is far more legit than the 'wildcat' which IMO is a gimmick but the 'pistol' is very legit because it is consistently effective but a helluva a lot more dangerous for the QB over time as well.

Your thoughts.

DTLB58 01-16-2013 01:04 AM

Only if you can keep finding the talent to run it.

Are there more RG3, Russell Wilson and Kap's out there? Not only with the running skills but remember what is setting these guys apart is that they can throw successfully in the NFL also.

Plus, now that there is a good season or so of tape on these guys it will give DC's some tape and time to devise new plans against them and their skills and what their OC's are doing.

Plus, the other factor of over exposing the Franchise QB to injury, may temper this "new wave" of talent type just as fast as it came in.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-16-2013 01:53 AM

If your DEs stay at home and chew up blockers the QB is forced to hand off inside, which limits its explosiveness.

Ironically, Crennel's D is a perfect style to counter it.

Mecca 01-16-2013 02:17 AM

I think it's a fad just like many other things that have come on gone. I also think it could very easily end when all these teams watch their QB's get hurt. I think it's a fine play to have in your gameplan but I wouldn't run it more than a few times a game.

cdcox 01-16-2013 02:29 AM

I think it allows you to win with an inexperienced but athletic QB sooner than if you played a conventional offense. Does anyone really think any of these guys are going to be running the ball on 5 or more designed plays per game in three years? They are going to have to transition to a more traditional passing attack in the next few years. They will always have scrambling ability, but think Steve Young not JC Watts who can pass.

Chiefshrink 01-16-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9323364)
If your DEs stay at home and chew up blockers the QB is forced to hand off inside, which limits its explosiveness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 9323375)
I also think it could very easily end when all these teams watch their QB's get hurt. I think it's a fine play to have in your gameplan but I wouldn't run it more than a few times a game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9323383)
I think it allows you to win with an inexperienced but athletic QB sooner than if you played a conventional offense. They will always have scrambling ability, but think Steve Young not JC Watts who can pass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9323339)
Only if you can keep finding the talent to run it.
what is setting these guys apart is that they can throw successfully in the NFL.

Plus, now that there is a good season or so of tape on these guys it will give DC's some tape and time to devise new plans against them.

Great points guys and I thoroughly agree.:thumb:

Thig Lyfe 01-16-2013 09:35 AM

Thigpen pioneered it. We could have had RGIII before RGIII.

Deberg_1990 01-16-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9323771)

Sure i guess.....Thigpen wasnt an accurate enough thrower though. Same goes for Tebow and Vince Young.

Cdcox and Mecca nailed it above.

rabblerouser 01-16-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9323771)

ROFL

milkman 01-16-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9323364)

It's about maintaining discipline.

The Falcons, who were something like the 17th rated run defense, did an outstanding job of staying in their lanes and sealing the outside against the Seahawks last weekend.

Pete Carrol and Daryl Bevelle adjusted in the second half, and we got a great look at what Russel Wilson is capable of from the pocket.

okoye35chiefs 01-16-2013 09:56 AM

it only works if you have the qb to run it like most stated above..

Rausch 01-16-2013 09:57 AM

RGIII is not Panther Cam.

He's very intelligent and as his career progresses they'll go more pocket passer and less trickeration.

He was a rookie that helmed a very average team to the playoffs...

Chris Meck 01-16-2013 09:58 AM

I say fad, because I don't think you can keep your QB healthy for long with it. I think Mecca's got it right with the idea that keeping it as a wrinkle is one thing, but RG3 will be done in a couple of years if they keep it up.

keg in kc 01-16-2013 10:01 AM

It's a fad, and the older and more experienced these guys get the more they'll stay in the pocket and the more complicated the playbook will get, but elements of it will remain. The NFL has been implementing college ideas for years, even if some of the older coaches are resistant to change.

Rausch 01-16-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9323832)
I say fad, because I don't think you can keep your QB healthy for long with it. I think Mecca's got it right with the idea that keeping it as a wrinkle is one thing, but RG3 will be done in a couple of years if they keep it up.

He probably will.

He was vulnerable to injury anyway and his coaches act like he's ****ing McNair.

Why Shanny didn't just run the same offense he did with an idiot like Plummer and stress the importance of getting rid of the ball is beyond me.