ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books COMIC BOOK PEOPLE (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277123)

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 10-08-2013 04:44 PM

Unfortunately, since I got caught in the government furlough, I had to cancel my trip to NY Comic Con. I was going to be helping a friend out at his table where he's selling his graphic novels as well as his latest novel that just came out. NYCC and SDCC are two intense shows, but as an exhibitor I don't get to see much of them. Mostly I'm working the booth from 9-7 Thursday through Sunday.

I do most of my shopping at conventions these days. Since I have written some short stories based on comic characters, I tend to pick up key issues about specific characters. It helps me get the characterization down pat and it's also a tax write off (research material). I buy more independent comics these days than I do DC or Marvel, but I have picked up some of the big omnibuses in B&N or B-A-M (they're B&W versions using the original pencils), but they're a lot cheaper since they don't have to pay for color.

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 10063599)
If one were to want to get into collecting what would you recommend to start with? Also what trade rags or web sites do you use to value the comics? I haven't touched a comic book in probably 20 years but would like to get back into collecting.

AustinChief 10-08-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10061964)
How about Wolverine vs Spiderman?

I've had this argument with a friends a million times. They all say Wolverine but Spider-Man is stronger, faster and has the range attack with the webs. I think he'd give Wolvey that work.

Spidey couldn't kill Wolverine (who can?) but he could knock him out.

Given that Spiderman beat the entire X-Men team including Wolverine... I'd say your friends are wrong.

http://www.jpj.net/~angel/SvsX/SW3p14.JPG

Aries Walker 10-08-2013 05:03 PM

The new Hawkeye series is outstanding. Same with Fearless Defenders and Superior Foes of Spider-Man. If you want back series, try Captain America: Red, White and Black from a few years ago.

And yes, Marvel is the superior brand. Most of DC's appeal is Batman, and he can only go so far.

Aries Walker 10-08-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 10064694)
Given that Spiderman beat the entire X-Men team including Wolverine... I'd say your friends are wrong.

This is correct. People root for Wolverine because he's popular, but power level wise, he's no match for Spider-Man on any level.

Rausch 10-08-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10064717)
This is correct. People root for Wolverine because he's popular, but power level wise, he's no match for Spider-Man on any level.

Spiderman can't kill wolverine.
Spiderman can't break a bone on wolverine.
Spiderman can't heal.

Not really a fair fight...

Aries Walker 10-08-2013 05:46 PM

Okay, if you really want to do this: Wolverine can't kill Spider-Man either. He's not strong enough, even with the claws. Spider-Man just took an unholy beating from Phoenix-Force powered Colossus - whose weaker 'partner' Emma Frost had just pounded Thor literally into the dirt - and not only lived to talk about it, but arranged the defeat of Colossus and his similarly-overpowered sister Magik to boot. Spider-Man is also much faster, physically stronger, and far more acrobatic than Wolverine, and he has ranged weapons, and is a legitimate scientific genius. He repeatedly surprises other A-list superheroes with the levels of his abilities in combat. In his earlier days, he was a pretty weakling nerd, but over the years they've amped up his power level so he's on par with the strongest there are. Wolverine is strong, but not that strong.

AustinChief 10-08-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10064744)
Spiderman can't kill wolverine.
Spiderman can't break a bone on wolverine.
Spiderman can't heal.

Not really a fair fight...

Spiderman is faster, stronger(10X to be exact) and FAR FAR smarter.

Spiderman could easily knock him out and stuff him in a furnace.

According to everything Marvel has published. Spiderman (if willing) could kill Wolverine in a New York minute.

AustinChief 10-08-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10064874)
Okay, if you really want to do this: Wolverine can't kill Spider-Man either. He's not strong enough, even with the claws. Spider-Man just took an unholy beating from Phoenix-Force powered Colossus - whose weaker 'partner' Emma Frost had just pounded Thor literally into the dirt - and not only lived to talk about it, but arranged the defeat of Colossus and his similarly-overpowered sister Magik to boot. Spider-Man is also much faster, physically stronger, and far more acrobatic than Wolverine, and he has ranged weapons, and is a legitimate scientific genius. He repeatedly surprises other A-list superheroes with the levels of his abilities in combat. In his earlier days, he was a pretty weakling nerd, but over the years they've amped up his power level so he's on par with the strongest there are. Wolverine is strong, but not that strong.

As I stated. Spiderman is 10X stronger according to Marvel. 20 tons vs 2 tons.

He beat the crap out of a herald of Galactus for Chrissake.

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/imag...mazing/270.jpg

Valiant 10-08-2013 07:48 PM

They are correct 99 times out of 100 spidey should win against wolverine. But it depends more on the writer.. Wolverine could do it. Technically depending on wolverine lore, his mutant ability is not just a healing factor, it is surviving factor, he can reheal from being burnt to a crisp, dismembered, ages super slow.. Then add weaponry. But a pissed off spidey would be fun also..

You can debate either way from what writers have put into books..

the only battle that pisses me off is the batman vs. superman... Superman would own almost anyone that was not a magic user. Superman could just go orbital against batman and most others and own them them. Kryptonite, magic and humanity right now is his only real weaknesses.

Sure-Oz 10-08-2013 08:17 PM

The Dark Knight Returns is one of my favorite comics ever. They just came out with the TDKR animated deluxe edition bluray today. Check it out.

Valiant 10-08-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 10065432)
The Dark Knight Returns is one of my favorite comics ever. They just came out with the TDKR animated deluxe edition bluray today. Check it out.

in my que..

I want them to make a animated movie of the red sun..

Fishpicker 10-08-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10060084)

I'm looking forward more to Comic Book Men than Walking Dead. Kevin Smith has some funny friends. Tell 'em Steve Dave! is one of the funniest podcasts I've heard.

salame 10-08-2013 08:55 PM

Anyone going to the freestate con?

Sure-Oz 10-08-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10065447)
in my que..

I want them to make a animated movie of the red sun..

Is that the Soviet Union Supes one?

Jamie 10-08-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10064709)
The new Hawkeye series is outstanding.

Agreed. My favorite series right now are Hawkeye, Saga, and Wonder Woman.