ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

DeezNutz 07-25-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9833186)
I'm not sure how much help they can find in FA, though.

Best OF available:

Carlos Beltran (would be cool if he comes back, but he's ancient and probably wants to play for a team that is a lock to contend, rather than a hope)

Jacoby Ellsbury (not gonna happen... too much $$$$ for KC)

Choo (I'd love it, but would KC really go 5/$18 million for a FA OF? And is Choo worth that commitment to KC?)

Nelson Cruz (Maybe you get a discount for the 50 games he'll miss next season?)

Mike Morse (Really can't play RF, but if they're shopping in FA for an OF, he's my favorite option that I think they actually COULD sign)

Jason Kubel (Not a bad mid-tier option, but also not really a RF)

After that, you get to guys like David Murphy, Franklin Gutierrez, David DeJesus, Marlon Steroids, I mean Byrd, etc.

FA SP:
Ervin Santana (too up-and-down for a long-term deal in KC)

Matt Garza (not coming)

Josh Johnson (How's that shoulder, Joshie?)

Ubaldo Jimenez (Yuck)

There's just not much you'd want to commit to long-term on the FA market.

I don't think they're going to find a star RF/2B or SP in FA this offseason. The market is thin, and the only options out there will be expensive and fraught with significant risk.

Minor league outfield depth? Anyone with a fast riser in the system who is blocked?

WhawhaWhat 07-25-2013 08:58 AM

Mike Moustakas is hitting .271 since June 1. However only 3 HRs and 7 RBIs in that time.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-25-2013 09:02 AM

I'm not against making Cain the full time RFer for a couple years... Wait on guys like Eibner, Fletcher to see if they pan out... There are also options like hunter pence or colby rasmus that will be coming into FA... but with Lough and Cain, RF isn't really THAT big of a need when you have that gaping freaking hole at 2B still staring at us... And still need moar pitching.

duncan_idaho 07-25-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9833199)
If they can have a year like Melky Cabrera and Jeff Francoeur had in 2011, I'll take anyone on steroids.

He's having that year right now, I think.

Roiding up for the contract year. Then cycling down once he's got a big, guaranteed deal.

WhawhaWhat 07-25-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9833212)
I'm not against making Cain the full time RFer for a couple years... Wait on guys like Eibner, Fletcher to see if they pan out... There are also options like hunter pence or colby rasmus that will be coming into FA... but with Lough and Cain, RF isn't really THAT big of a need when you have that gaping freaking hole at 2B still staring at us... And still need moar pitching.

David Lough is not an everyday RF. If they can find a power bat in RF, they should do whatever they can to get that person in a Royals jersey because they need both.

WhawhaWhat 07-25-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9833214)
He's having that year right now, I think.

Roiding up for the contract year. Then cycling down once he's got a big, guaranteed deal.

1-year deal then. :thumb:

Prison Bitch 07-25-2013 09:07 AM

The best 1M we could spend this offseason is buying out Dayton's last year.

duncan_idaho 07-25-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9833204)
Minor league outfield depth? Anyone with a fast riser in the system who is blocked?

The Dodgers (Joe Pederson) make some sense, as does Nick Castellanos of the Tigers. The Marlins also have an OF logjam and might be willing to move Justin Ruggiano. The only other team with position player logjam (the Rangers) probably just took care of a big piece of it.

The Royals Brett Eibner also bears watching... since June 1, he is:

.268/.333/.541

with 11 HR, 6 3B and 8 2B

It's the first time he has really succeeded as a hitter. It's possible the light has gone on for a guy with huge upside and RH power. It's also possible it's just a hot streak that doesn't mean anything.

mr. tegu 07-25-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9833215)
David Lough is not an everyday RF. If they can find a power bat in RF, they should do whatever they can to get that person in a Royals jersey because they need both.

The only reason people say that is because the other position players are not producing enough power so they think we need to upgrade over a player who is producing because he plays a position that often holds power hitters. If that is not the case for you, what makes you think he isn't an everyday RF?

DeezNutz 07-25-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9833226)
The Dodgers (Joe Pederson) make some sense, as does Nick Castellanos of the Tigers. The Marlins also have an OF logjam and might be willing to move Justin Ruggiano. The only other team with position player logjam (the Rangers) probably just took care of a big piece of it.

.268/.333/.541

It's the first time he has really succeeded as a hitter. It's possible the light has gone on for a guy with huge upside and RH power. It's also possible it's just a hot streak that doesn't mean anything.

Nice. Thanks. I would imagine that the latter would necessitate Holland, which would be a bit tough in the division.

WhawhaWhat 07-25-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9833227)
The only reason people say that is because the other position players are not producing enough power so they think we need to upgrade over a player who is producing because he plays a position that often holds power hitters. If that is not the case for you, what makes you think he isn't an everyday RF?

The team is loaded with guys that are small and hit singles. They don't need any more of them. If they are going to look for someone to add in the OF, then David Lough is going to be the guy that goes every time. They aren't getting a lot of power from adding a guy at 2B and I don't think Gordon, Moose or Hosmer are going anywhere anytime soon.

Great Expectations 07-25-2013 09:32 AM

Kyle Zimmer is pitching tonight in Springfield.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-25-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9833215)

The options out there that we would have to trade for are not much of an upgrade, but would cost in trade... hence why i would rather stand pat for a year or two.

DeezNutz 07-25-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9833269)
The options out there that we would have to trade for are not much of an upgrade, but would cost in trade... hence why i would rather stand pat for a year or two.

But our self-constructed window closes after next season, thanks to Dayton ****ing Moore.

FML.

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-25-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9833226)

.268/.333/.541

At this point is Eibner going to be a ML Thirdbaseman or is he gonna be making a position switch before he gets here?