ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books Stephen King's next... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=242297)

keg in kc 03-03-2011 05:02 PM

Stephen King's next...

This seems odd. Which for King is saying something.
Quote:

11/22/63

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

Okie_Apparition 03-03-2011 09:42 PM

Last couple of King books I bought, I never finished. Sadness.

KurtCobain 03-03-2011 10:08 PM

cool.

bowener 03-03-2011 10:11 PM

I would go back and **** so many 50s women. Just sayin'.

Bowser 03-04-2011 11:36 AM

That IS odd. Most of his stories take place in Castle Rock. :)

KurtCobain 03-05-2011 12:21 AM

I am so stoked.

Frazod 03-05-2011 02:14 AM

Interesting premise. I haven't read a Stephen King book since the ending of It offended the hell out of me, but if this gets good reviews I might give it a shot.

Does King still take a great 500 page book and make it 1,000 pages long?

keg in kc 03-05-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7467782)
Interesting premise. I haven't read a Stephen King book since the ending of It offended the hell out of me, but if this gets good reviews I might give it a shot.

Pretty much.

His last that I read was Under the Dome, which was his best book in years until he completely ruined it in the last hundred pages.

Otter 03-05-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7467782)

Yep, most of his books end somewhere along the lines of "and the bad guy was hit by a car that fell from the sky with the family haunted by his memories. The End".

It''s like he gets sick of writing and all of a sudden says "**** it, I'm done writing this bitch!". He's the reason I haven't read fiction in 10+ years. Well, that and there's a whole lot of cool true stories out there to be read.

Bowser 03-05-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7467833)
Pretty much.

His last that I read was Under the Dome, which was his best book in years until he completely ruined it in the last hundred pages.

A pretty good summary, actually.

Frazod 03-05-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 7467902)
Yep, most of his books end somewhere along the lines of "and the bad guy was hit by a car that fell from the sky with the family haunted by his memories. The End".

It''s like he gets sick of writing and all of a sudden says "**** it, I'm done writing this bitch!". He's the reason I haven't read fiction in 10+ years. Well, that and there's a whole lot of cool true stories out there to be read.

So many of his books tend to focus on a group of regular guys taking on something so evil and powerful that they shouldn't have a change in hell of defeating it, yet somehow they do. Sometimes the ending makes sense and works; sometimes it doesn't. I liked Needful Things, until the end where the hero won by doing.... magic tricks. Really? MAGIC TRICKS? Give me a ****ing break. And the end of IT - seriously, gangbanging an 11 year old girl? Dude..... :shake:

His endgame sucks about as bad as mine does when I'm playing chess.

Deberg_1990 03-05-2011 12:40 PM

I like his short stories better than when he tries to go Epic.

Frazod 03-05-2011 12:42 PM

King is sort of like George Lucas - they both need their crazy ideas tempered by sane people, and both have long since grown beyond the point where anybody else has the power to tell them what to do or how to do it.

There's a reason both did their best work back in the 70s and 80s.

Halfcan 03-05-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7468236)
King is sort of like George Lucas - they both need their crazy ideas tempered by sane people, and both have long since grown beyond the point where anybody else has the power to tell them what to do or how to do it.

:thumb:

Sannyasi 03-05-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7468236)

Exactly this. King's recent outwork desperately needs an editor with balls able to say no to some of his batshit. But no one will say anything to the guy because now he is "Stephen King". It's a shame, because he really is an excellent writer.