ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ****The Official 2012-2013 Wichita state Repository thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266604)

Mr. Arrowhead 11-13-2012 08:55 PM

****The Official 2012-2013 Wichita state Repository thread****

Great season Shocks!!!!

Mr. Arrowhead 11-20-2012 11:13 PM

Shox go 5-0 and advance to the Championship game in the Cancun Classic as they Play Iowa tomorrow night at 8:30 on CBS sports network

Mr. Arrowhead 11-21-2012 11:01 PM

Shox beat Iowa 75-63 to claim the Cancun Challenge championship. Cleanthony Early is gonna be a force this season, had 25 points and 9 boards. Our defense was relentless, Iowa only had 4 two point fg's the whole game lol.

Buehler445 11-22-2012 12:35 AM

Ron Baker is from Scott City. I watched him play high school ball. Glad his game is translating to college.

LiveSteam 11-22-2012 12:36 AM

Nice start guys. I will root for everyone in the Mo-Vally till conference play starts . Then its all about the Creighton Bluejays.

big nasty kcnut 11-22-2012 02:17 AM

It's shocker fighting time.

Mr. Arrowhead 11-22-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9140810)
Ron Baker is from Scott City. I watched him play high school ball. Glad his game is translating to college.

Yup got 2 kansas boys in our starting line up, Baker and Evan Wessel (who was teammates with KU's Perry Ellis)

Mr. Arrowhead 11-22-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 9140814)
Nice start guys. I will root for everyone in the Mo-Vally till conference play starts . Then its all about the Creighton Bluejays.

Yup im right there with you

Ceej 11-22-2012 09:51 AM

I have only watched their last two games but Cleanthony Early is sure going to be fun to watch for four years.

Mr. Arrowhead 11-22-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9141235)
I have only watched their last two games but Cleanthony Early is sure going to be fun to watch for four years.

Unfortunately its only for 2 years, he was the 2 time Juco national player of the year. But he is a guy that has NBA potential if he keeps developing in his 2 years at Wichita State.

LiveSteam 11-22-2012 01:05 PM

We need a 2012-2013 Mo-Vally thread. For Mo-Vally fans. Im sure CP has plenty of MV fans
This conference is a hoot to watch. & it goes way into the season before you have a clear idea who is in & who is out. Un-like the bigger power conferences. Where you know who is going to win that conference before the season ever starts.

Rausch 11-22-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 9141725)
We need a 2012-2013 Mo-Vally thread.

I was thinking chairs with ass warmers but whatever CP votes on I'm good with...

CoMoChief 11-22-2012 04:50 PM

**** Yeah now we're talkin!!!

Time for a CMS Mules Thread!!!

Mr. Arrowhead 11-22-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 9141725)
We need a 2012-2013 Mo-Vally thread. For Mo-Vally fans. Im sure CP has plenty of MV fans
This conference is a hoot to watch. & it goes way into the season before you have a clear idea who is in & who is out. Un-like the bigger power conferences. Where you know who is going to win that conference before the season ever starts.

ya that sounds good. Go ahead and start it

Mr. Arrowhead 11-26-2012 03:30 PM

Shocks get 99 votes in the latest AP poll which makes them 27th, and 16 votes in the coaches which makes them 33rd. Creighton is 11th in both polls. As long as we take care of business at home vs Tulsa on Wed, and then we play at Air Force on Sunday we should slide in the top 25 come next week. It sure would be nice when we play Creighton on Jan 19 they would be in the top 10 and us in the top 20.

GoShox 11-26-2012 03:39 PM

Coaches poll has never really meant much, laughable that UCLA is still in there. Having Danny Manning in Koch should be fun tomorrow night.

Also, Cleanthony is going to love not only guarding McDermott, but having McDermott guard him as well. Expect some big games from him against Creighton.

ChiefsCountry 11-26-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9142362)
ya that sounds good. Go ahead and start it

Yep I would be for it.

Mr. Arrowhead 11-26-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoShox (Post 9154144)
Coaches poll has never really meant much, laughable that UCLA is still in there. Having Danny Manning in Koch should be fun tomorrow night.

Also, Cleanthony is going to love not only guarding McDermott, but having McDermott guard him as well. Expect some big games from him against Creighton.

Yup last season Carl Hall pretty much shut McDermott down in both games. Young was the one that hurt us, and hes gone, plus Malcom is one of the best defender at the PG position that we have had in long time.

Mr. Arrowhead 11-26-2012 05:58 PM

Well this sucks, EO has been a defensive force

@PaulSuellentrop Ehimen Orukpe in a walking boot on his right ankle today. He said he wasn't sure about playing Wednesday. Seems unlikely to me.

journeyscarab 11-26-2012 11:00 PM

Hey, hey...sorry I'm tardy to the party! Let's Go Shox!

Mr. Arrowhead 11-28-2012 09:47 PM

Shox take down Danny Manning led Tulsa team 86-60, to go to 7-0 and the only remaining unbeaten team in the MVC.

GoShox 11-28-2012 10:10 PM

Nice win! Fred played really well tonight.. actually pretty much everybody did. Lufile got a lot of good minutes. Nice to see Ron get his shooting touch back.

Have I mentioned I really, really love this team? I'm pretty young, I've only been going to games since the 01-02 season so I'm not a veteran fan by any means. Obviously I love every team.. but this team has something special that the other teams just haven't had. Maybe it's just extra toughness? The way this team marched into VCU and took them down without any fear was great.

Also, Creighton lost. Them losing obviously hurts the MVC.. but I can't say it makes me too sad. We're in control of our own future.

journeyscarab 11-29-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9160466)
Shox take down Danny Manning led Tulsa team 86-60, to go to 7-0 and the only remaining unbeaten team in the MVC.

Great game. Marshall has put together a well oiled machine.

Mr. Arrowhead 11-29-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by journeyscarab (Post 9161693)
Great game. Marshall has put together a well oiled machine.

Yes he has!! We dont rebuild, we reload. We play at Air Force sunday afternoon, cannot take them lightly, they are 5-1 on the season and tested Colorado the other night, but if we can take care of business we will be in the AP top 25.

journeyscarab 11-29-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9162384)
Yes he has!! We dont rebuild, we reload.

Exactly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9162384)
We play at Air Force sunday afternoon, cannot take them lightly, they are 5-1 on the season and tested Colorado the other night, but if we can take care of business we will be in the AP top 25.

Awesome. Hopefully they will just keep their nose to the grindstone and keep moving that rock to the basket!

Mr. Arrowhead 12-02-2012 06:57 PM

Shox survive and win at Air Force 72-69 to go to 8-0 and hopefully get in the AP Top 25. Honestly, prolly our sloppiest game of the year with 19 turnover, but good teams overcome stuff like that. A win is a win!!!!

Ceej 12-02-2012 07:35 PM

Obviously I want WSU to keep winning.

But will their non-conference schedule hurt their chances come tourney time if they lose some tough ball games?

Buehler445 12-02-2012 07:37 PM

How is Baker doing?

Mr. Arrowhead 12-02-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9173831)
How is Baker doing?

Inconsistent with his shot at times, but his defense is really solid for a freshmen. He will end up being a outstanding player

journeyscarab 12-02-2012 09:56 PM

Sorry I missed the game. Should of streamed it but glad for the win.

GoShox 12-03-2012 01:01 PM

Ranked #24 in the AP poll today!

Buehler445 12-03-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9174486)
Inconsistent with his shot at times, but his defense is really solid for a freshmen. He will end up being a outstanding player

Cool. Thanks. What kind of minutes is he getting?

Ceej 12-03-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9176434)

He starts.

He was struggling at first, but lately his shots have been falling. Kid has a pretty quick release.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-03-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9176434)

right now averaging 25 minutes per game, which is alot considering we sometimes go 10 or 11 deep. And we have 9 guys averaging 13 minutes or more.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-03-2012 01:13 PM

Shox are ranked #24 in the AP poll and just outside the coaches poll at #27.

journeyscarab 12-03-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9176473)
Shox are ranked #24 in the AP poll and just outside the coaches poll at #27.

Nice! GO SHOX!

Mr. Arrowhead 12-04-2012 12:24 PM

we are currently on the front page of SI website

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/

Mr. Arrowhead 12-04-2012 12:29 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...?sct=cb_t11_a0

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- In the aftermath of a tough, three-point win over homestanding Air Force, the mood in the Spartan visitors' dressing room beneath Clune Arena was buoyant. The small, rectangular quarters were filled not only with the triumphant Wichita State Shockers, but also with a healthy handful of their fans who had made the trip out West. After head coach Gregg Marshall finished glad-handing and proudly noting that the Shockers were now 21-3 in their last 24 road games, he handed center stage over to senior forward Carl Hall, who became the soloist in a celebratory group sing-song.

"Did we get that dub?"

"Yeahhh!"

"Are we movin' up?"

"Yeahhh!"

Then all the players joined together, bellowing a line that underscores both Wichita State's surprise 8-0 start and mounting evidence that this could be a strong season in the Missouri Valley Conference.

"Ohhhhhh, here we go!"

Ever since Doug McDermott confirmed his return to Omaha for his junior season, Creighton was the nearly universal pick to win the league. Despite a surprise home loss to Boise State last week, the Bluejays have provided plenty of evidence that they are worthy of that perch. It seems a bit misguided, though, for anyone to believe at this point that Creighton will walk to the league title. That's a credit to what's been happening elsewhere around the conference in the first month of play.

Illinois State, which received the two first-place votes Creighton didn't nab in the Valley preseason poll, was last seen in Louisville, scaring the Cardinals to death. They have been manhandling lesser foes with one of the nation's most efficient 2-point shooting attacks, thanks in large part to guard Tyler Brown and NBA prospect big man Jackie Carmichael. Preseason third-place choice Northern Iowa was part of the loaded Battle 4 Atlantis field and also nearly toppled the Cardinals, as well as Memphis, in the Bahamas. Despite going 0-3 there, the Panthers remain a top-75 team in Ken Pomeroy's early-season rankings.

However, it's the Shockers, picked fourth in that poll, who are providing the biggest shock so far. After losing their top five scorers from last season's Valley regular-season champs, this was expected to be a bit of a rebuilding campaign. Instead, it appears Marshall and his staff have merely reloaded, with a win at VCU and a victory over Iowa to go with the one at Air Force as proof of intent. The return of the Shockers, to go with some solid rebuilding in the lower half of the conference, is what will make the Valley a really interesting proposition this season.

"I think this year has the look and feel of the mid-2000s," said longtime conference commissioner Doug Elgin of a period highlighted by a four-bid season in 2005-06. "... We may not be quite as balanced at the top, but I think we're just as deep with good teams."

Despite the turnover in personnel, the Shockers appear to be rounding into the kind of resolute, defensive team that Marshall favors. Since he replaced the departed Mark Turgeon before the 2007-08 season, the Shockers' D has improved each season, finishing last season ranked 18th in adjusted defensive efficiency per KenPom.com.

This year's Shockers don't have the size of 7-footer Garrett Stutz to lean on, but they seem to be a more flexible, athletic team with a still-solid frontcourt capable of scoring enough to win. With the postgame singalong as some evidence, they also have come together as a group quicker than expected.

"We say 'brothers' on three every day, man. There's 14 of them," said Hall in the corridor outside the still-noisy locker room. "I think [the camaraderie is] even better this year. So many new faces, you gotta try to gel together."

Marshall has been a master at cobbling cohesive rosters together, leaning heavily on assistants with junior college head coaching experience to mine the two-year player market for stopgap talent. This roster is no exception, with leading scorers Hall (in his second season with the Shockers) and Cleanthony Early both products of that pipeline.

Senior point guard Malcolm Armstead also is a transfer, but from Oregon, where he played two seasons for the Ducks. Throw in two other jucos and two freshmen, and the rotation has six brand new faces in it. It's all part of this Marshall Plan.

"We generally have four- and five-year players," Marshall said. "We have some time to prepare for [personnel losses] and our assistant coaches do a hell of a job restocking the pond. Now we've been able to win some games that maybe we couldn't have won had we not found those guys."

The Shockers' depth may come in handy over what's expected to be an 18-game Valley grind. With coaches like Geno Ford (Bradley) and Barry Hinson (Southern Illinois) elevating teams that were lagging at the bottom of the league, there look to be very few easy nights anywhere in the league. Along with the Ivy League, the Valley is one of only two conferences that hasn't changed membership since 1995. The familiarity (and the double round-robin) also breeds considerable contempt. It's great to bank wins early, and the Shockers have the schedule with which to do that. They get all three other de facto contenders at home first in league play, so come the end of January, the Valley standings could contain a interesting yellow twist, and a no-longer inexperienced team could be staring down a title run.

"[Marshall's] kids are new, but they're veteran players," Elgin said. "He's brilliant at not only recruiting but putting component parts together. We feel Wichita State will contend. They're still unbeaten and they're going to be a load."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2E6ptoA1w

Mr. Arrowhead 12-05-2012 12:00 PM

Koch Arena made the top 10 list on the top 10 home court advantages!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

THIS WEEK'S POLL

Ranking the best home-court advantages in the country (voters: myself, Andy Katz, Dana O'Neil, Fran Fraschilla), ordered by total points with number of first-place votes in parentheses:

1. Allen Fieldhouse, Kansas (3): 39
2. Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke (1): 37
3. Assembly Hall, Indiana: 24
4. Carrier Dome, Syracuse: 23
5. The Kennel, Gonzaga: 18
6. Viejas Arena, San Diego State: 17
7. Rupp Arena, Kentucky: 16
8. The Pit, New Mexico: 14
9. Breslin Center, Michigan State: 8
10. Koch Arena, Wichita State: 6

Also receiving votes: Peterson Events Center, Pittsburgh, 5; Kohl Center, Wisconsin, 4; Bramlage Coliseum, Kansas State, 3; McKale Center, Arizona, 2; Bud Walton Arena, Arkansas, 2; Gallagher-Iba Arena, Oklahoma State, 1; CFSB Center, Murray State, 1.

GoShox 12-05-2012 01:04 PM

Awesome. Although I'm pretty sure our record away from Koch is better than it is at Koch in the past few years, isn't it? I remember some pretty recent losses like Evansville, Northern Iowa, Creighton, VCU, and Missouri State much better than I do losses on the road.

Ceej 12-05-2012 01:17 PM

Two Kansas schools in the top 10 is pretty awesome.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-05-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoShox (Post 9182684)
Awesome. Although I'm pretty sure our record away from Koch is better than it is at Koch in the past few years, isn't it? I remember some pretty recent losses like Evansville, Northern Iowa, Creighton, VCU, and Missouri State much better than I do losses on the road.

Last year we were good at home, but I think the year before that we had 4 or 5 losses at home which pretty much killed our NCAA tourney hopes. Best record in the nation on the road in the last 2+ years at 22-3

Mr. Arrowhead 12-05-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9182729)
Two Kansas schools in the top 10 is pretty awesome.

Yup K state even received votes. Prolly safe to say Kansas is a basketball state.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-09-2012 04:53 PM

[img]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RPyMqiMxH54?list=UUIOAQwS1xS79L9dmaCgQl2Q&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/img]

Mr. Arrowhead 12-13-2012 11:13 AM

Shox will try to remain undefeated tonight as they play at Tenn at 6 pm. its going to be regionally televised on FSN Midwest

journeyscarab 12-13-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9204728)
Shox will try to remain undefeated tonight as they play at Tenn at 6 pm. its going to be regionally televised on FSN Midwest

Sweet! I'll hit the early bus home. GO SHOX!

Mr. Arrowhead 12-13-2012 07:02 PM

shox down at the half 30-28, ill take it with Early in foul trouble and was held scoreless.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-17-2012 01:24 PM

Well dam Carl Hall out for a month with a broken Thumb

Wichita State’s Carl Hall to miss a month after thumb surgery
By Paul Suellentrop
The Wichita Eagle

Wichita State center Carl Hall will miss about a month with a broken right thumb, coach Gregg Marshall said Monday.

Hall, WSU’s leading scorer and rebounder, will undergo surgery Tuesday. He fell on the thumb during practice Saturday. He is the third starter to be sidelined by an injury this season. Guard Evan Wessel is out with a broken pinky finger and center Ehimen Orukpe missed three games before returning, at less than full speed, in Thursday’s loss at Tennessee.

“That’s why you use your scholarships and just don’t sign five guys,” WSU coach Gregg Marshall said.

Hall, a senior, fell on the thumb on his shooting hand while driving to the basket and bumping defender Cleanthony Early. Marshall said the surgeon will insert a screw into Hall’s thumb to hold the bone in place. He will remain in a cast for around two weeks.

“You just hate the timing for Carl,” Marshall said. “He worked so hard and was playing so well. He’s really been playing beautiful basketball.”

Hall averages 13.9 points and 7.6 rebounds. He scored 21 points, with nine rebounds, on 9-of-10 shooting against Tennessee.

Hall’s absence means more playing time for junior center Chadrack Lufile and sophomore forward Jake White. Lufile has played sparingly this season, averaging 2.4 points in 7.9 minutes. White averages 3.5 points.

If Hall missses four weeks, he may be able to return for a Jan. 13 game at Evansville.

WSU plays Charleston Southern on Thursday at Koch Arena, followed by a Saturday game against Southern Mississippi at Intrust Bank Arena. The Shockers then break until the opening of Missouri Valley Conference play on Dec. 30 against Northern Iowa.

Marshall said Wessel, who has missed the past two games, will not play Thursday. Surgery is also possible for him, if he cannot play with the broken finger on his right (shooting) hand.

“That’s our two toughest guys out with injury,” Marshall said.

The Shockers (9-1) fell out of the Associated Press top 25 poll after the 69-60 loss to Tennessee. They received six votes, down from 280 the previous week. WSU spent two weeks in the top 25.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2012/12/17/v-p...#storylink=cpy

journeyscarab 12-17-2012 01:33 PM

Dang it! This quote bothered me "They received six votes, down from 280 the previous week." Wow 274 voters turned on us quickly over losing to the Vols? Tough crowd! Hopefully the guys will heal up and its good we have a deep bench. GO SHOX!

Mr. Arrowhead 12-18-2012 02:24 PM

WTF and it gets worse, Ron Baker is out 6 weeks with stress fracture on his foot.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-18-2012 02:25 PM

We have just lost 3 starters long term in the past week. I have never seen anything like this.

GoShox 12-18-2012 02:46 PM

Reminds me a lot of the 06-07 season, except that year it was team chemistry that was a problem, not injuries.

I have no idea how the team is going to get through this but there's a reason Marshall gets paid the big bucks and he's seemed to have the answers in the past. Here's to hoping he has a few more.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-18-2012 02:46 PM

Wichita State’s Ron Baker will miss six weeks
By Paul Suellentrop
The Wichita Eagle

Wichita State’s basketball injury problems are getting worse.

Guard Ron Baker will miss around six weeks of play with a stress fracture in his foot. He is the third Shocker starter sidelined and the fourth hit by an injury this season.

Baker, a redshirt freshman from Scott City, averages 7.3 points and 2.6 rebounds. He is 16 of 50 from three-point range (32 percent), the most makes and attempts by a Shocker.

On Monday, WSU announced that center Carl Hall will miss four weeks with a broken right thumb. Guard Evan Wessel is out with a broken right pinky for an unknown amount of time. Center Ehimen Orukpe missed three games with a sprained right ankle before playing last week against Tennessee.

The Shockers (9-1) play Charleston Southern on Thursday at Koch Arena.

© 2012 Wichita Eagle and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved. http://www.kansas.com

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2012/12/18/v-p...#storylink=cpy

Ceej 12-18-2012 02:48 PM

Unless the Shox can overcome those two tough injuries -- I smell another NIT bid.

Tough, tough break for both guys.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-18-2012 02:51 PM

Thankfully we have been going 12 deep, im hoping that we can the hold the fort until Carl gets back which will be in mid January. Cle will have to take on a lot more of the scoring. When Carl get back I think we will be fine.

journeyscarab 12-18-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9221608)
WTF and it gets worse, Ron Baker is out 6 weeks with stress fracture on his foot.

Yeah just saw that. We'll have to see what Marshall and the team can do. I was worried they were pushing too hard before the regular season to build up wins.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-20-2012 04:53 PM

Game tonight vs Charleston Southern, cant take these guys lightly, they are picked to win their conference, and 60% of our starting line up is missing. For out of towner, game is being shown on ESPN3

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/upcoming/

Buehler445 12-20-2012 05:15 PM

Sucks about Baker. Stress fractures are a bitch.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-20-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9228002)
Sucks about Baker. Stress fractures are a bitch.

Yea it sucks, it seems like he was just starting to find his shot too. Hopefully he will be back by the start of Feb.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-20-2012 09:42 PM

Shox with the 65-53 win, Cle Early with 20 points 10 rebounds

journeyscarab 12-20-2012 10:18 PM

Listened online...sounds like they held it together. GO SHOX!

HemiEd 12-21-2012 07:27 AM

If there is a silver lining, better to have the injuries now than in February or March.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-21-2012 08:46 AM

Very true, and plus our bench and depth is going to better with all the quality playing time they will get

HemiEd 12-21-2012 08:50 AM

Exactly. It is just so nice to see the program relevant again.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-22-2012 10:12 PM

Shox played Southern Miss at Intrust Bank arena tonight, they were down 12 in the 2nd half, but come back and win 59-51.

Mr. Arrowhead 12-30-2012 08:03 PM

I skipped out on the Chiefs game to go see the Shox take Nothern Iowa to the woodshed in the MVC opening, with a 66-41. It was 30 point lead, until we took the gas off the pedal with a couple minutes left. Now we need this same intensity on the Road at Drake on Wednesday. Go Shox!!!!

Mr. Arrowhead 01-06-2013 08:52 PM

Shox with a big road victory in Bradley tonight 69-63 to stay up with Creighton at 14-1 and 3-0 in the MVC. Now what the hell does it take to get back in the rankings?!?!

journeyscarab 01-06-2013 10:13 PM

Whew...what a win! I didn't expect it to be a nail-biter (too early in the season!) but it definitely had a lot of excitement. My only complaint was the "Bradly Superfan" who kept trying to officiate the game from the stands and act like a jackass in full view of the cameras. Anyone else see that jackass??

Not worried about the standings, just taking care of business on the court and be able to maintain momentum through Arch Madness! The vibe with the team is awesome!

GO SHOCKS!

Mr. Arrowhead 01-07-2013 12:07 PM

Shox ranked at 23, all 3 Kansas teams ranked for the first in who knows how long. 3 kansas schools combined record is 38-4

journeyscarab 01-07-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9291981)
Shox ranked at 23, all 3 Kansas teams ranked for the first in who knows how long. 3 kansas schools combined record is 38-4

Yep...just saw that. Congrats to all of us!

GoShox 01-07-2013 12:22 PM

This team is tough, tough, tough. All the odds against them and they still manage to find ways to win games.

Ceej 01-07-2013 04:04 PM

Losing Baker and Hall..

Marshall has been tremendous.

The dude can coach.

journeyscarab 01-07-2013 04:21 PM

Looks like we missed on the coaches poll. We'll hit both next week. Just keep doing what we do and business will take care of itself.

LiveSteam 01-07-2013 04:25 PM

Blue Jays

http://www.stadiumpanoramics.com/ima...ll_picture.jpg

journeyscarab 01-07-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 9293085)

Meh. Overrated media darling. /sarc

In the words of Bart Scott...."CAN'T WAIT!"

Mr. Arrowhead 01-10-2013 08:09 AM

Cleanthony Early put on a display last night in the come back win against SIU. He scored 39, which is the most points by a shocker player in 28 years.

ChiefMojo 01-10-2013 08:45 AM

Most since the X-Man (Xavier McDaniel) dropped 44 back in the 80's!

Do you Shox fans see this as another Sweet 16 type team?

Mr. Arrowhead 01-10-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9302434)
Most since the X-Man (Xavier McDaniel) dropped 44 back in the 80's!

Do you Shox fans see this as another Sweet 16 type team?

I really do, especially when we get Carl Hall back next week and Ron Baker in about a month. I really think this team at full strength is more talented than the sweet 16 team back in 2006

journeyscarab 01-11-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 9302911)
I really do, especially when we get Carl Hall back next week and Ron Baker in about a month. I really think this team at full strength is more talented than the sweet 16 team back in 2006

Agreed. I'm really pleased where this team is at and where we are headed. We just can't hit the wall at Arch Madness. We ran out of gas there last year. But for now...looking very good for a run! GO SHOX!

journeyscarab 01-11-2013 11:25 AM

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...h-of-the-year/

Cleanthony Early: 39 in comeback win. Gregg Marshall: Coach of the Year?

Rob Dauster

Jan 10, 2013, 10:04 AM EST
Leave a comment
Southern Illinois Wichita St Basketball

You see that picture to the right?

The one right next to this text?

It’s Cleanthony Early, and that’s a picture of him not giving a good gull dern about Wichita State’s injury issues.

The Shockers are missing three starters — that includes their best perimeter shooter, Ron Baker, and Carl Hall, who, at the time of his injury, was the team’s leading scorer and rebounder. Throw in the fact that the Shockers were supposed to be in the midst of a rebuilding year because, you know, they lost their top five scorers from a season ago, and there wouldn’t be a single person that would be surprised if Gregg Marshall’s club was scooting along in the bottom half of the always-crazy Missouri Valley.

But no.

After an 82-76 win over Southern Illinois on Wednesday night, Wichita State is 15-1 on the season, 4-0 in the Valley ranked in the top 25. And Early is the biggest reason why. The 6-foot-8 JuCo transfer and Middletown, NY, native went for 39 points in last night’s win, shooting 13-19 from the floor and 5-9 from three as the Shockers came back from an 11 point halftime deficit to beat the Salukis. This came just one game after Early went for 24 points as the Shockers knocked off Bradley on the road.

Now it would be tough to credit Marshall for Early’s performance the past two games. That’s simply a great player being a great player.

But it is easy to credit Marshall for putting his team and his program in a position where they are not only prepared to weather the departure of their top five scorers, but the injury to three starters the following season as well. Marshall is consistently underrated and forgotten when discussing the best coaches in the country, but there no one has done a better job than he has this season.

With all due respect to Tubby Smith, John Groce, Larry Shyatt and every other coach having a great year, if the season ended today, Gregg Marshall would get my mythical vote for National Coach of the Year.