ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Blackout Arrowhead: Nov 18 vs Bengals - Reserve Your Gear Today (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265617)

okcchief 11-18-2012 10:09 AM

Today will give us a good indication of what percentage of the fan base has a functioning brain.

NJChiefsFan 11-18-2012 10:11 AM

Come on KC. Step up.

Mizzou_8541 11-18-2012 10:23 AM

Just saw my neighbor leaving for the game, decked out in all red. I asked her if she had her black for the blackout, she said she had no idea what I was talking about. I tried to explain but the concept went right over her head.

Rausch 11-18-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 9128014)
Just saw my neighbor leaving for the game, decked out in all red. I asked her if she had her black for the blackout, she said she had no idea what I was talking about. I tried to explain but the concept went right over her head.

That's why I think this should push on.

This week (for sake of argument) say it's 800.

Just by word of mouth, and people ticked about the season, it could double or triple next game.

HayWire 11-18-2012 12:00 PM

Damn good job to everyone, from what it looks like on tv there is a lot of black there!

In58men 11-18-2012 12:00 PM

@Jason_Madson: Just spoke with a security person at Arrowhead. If you're found with a Fire Pioli sign, you're kicked out. #Chiefs

Jenson71 11-18-2012 12:11 PM

Good job. This was a success, relatively speaking.

Cannibal 11-18-2012 12:13 PM

I'm seeing some black shirts out there, but not as many as I would have hoped for. Although, the stadium really does look half empty

doomy3 11-18-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9128308)
@Jason_Madson: Just spoke with a security person at Arrowhead. If you're found with a Fire Pioli sign, you're kicked out. #Chiefs

Wow.

kcpasco 11-18-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Joseph Pioli

KChiefs1 11-18-2012 12:21 PM

Not much black in the stadium.

KChiefs1 11-18-2012 12:21 PM

More empty seats than people in black.

Brock 11-18-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 9128451)

There's more empty seats than people, period. :drool:

Dave Lane 11-18-2012 12:39 PM

There's a ton of black. at least 30-40%. I thanked everyone of them I saw for wearing black today.

Dave Lane 11-18-2012 12:39 PM

It's WAY WAY bigger than I ever dreamed.

chiefzilla1501 11-18-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

This might be a dumb question... but is that actually legal?

You're a paying customer. Can you get kicked out for exercising free speech? That sounds highly unusual to me.

chiefzilla1501 11-18-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 9128451)

I feel like the empty seats further proves the point. I don't think it was even remotely possible to get a fully blacked out stadium. Think this proves a point that people are no longer going to the stadium. Those that are, are wearing black.

Incidentally... should we just point out that the "true fans" (those who refuse to wear black) are the ones who aren't showing up to this game?

Rasputin 11-18-2012 12:44 PM

I don't know /Romeo

Dave Lane 11-18-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9128670)
This might be a dumb question... but is that actually legal?

You're a paying customer. Can you get kicked out for exercising free speech? That sounds highly unusual to me.

I brought this up repeatedly. I told them I want to see the ordinance that would apply to stopping free speech. I said show it to me and I'll leave.

Dave Lane 11-18-2012 12:45 PM

Pioli's panties are in a bunch for sure!

kcpasco 11-18-2012 12:46 PM

Doesn't Jackson county own the parking lot?

DaneMcCloud 11-18-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9128684)
I brought this up repeatedly. I told them I want to see the ordinance that would apply to stopping free speech. I said show it to me and I'll leave.

It's publicly funded taxpayer owned land and facilities.

The Chiefs have absolutely NO RIGHT to force people to leave due to a sign asking to fire the head man. That's ludicrous.

I hope the national media jumps all over this deal.

TRR 11-18-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9128618)
There's a ton of black. at least 30-40%. I thanked everyone of them I saw for wearing black today.

Black looks very minimal on TV. Wouldn't have even been aware if I weren't posting here. Either way, Clark only sees $$ signs. You want to make an impact? Stop going. Stop buying Chiefs shit.

I love the idiots who wore black to today's game with red underneath lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ebolapox 11-18-2012 01:02 PM

I notice that the tv broadcast doesn't show like ANY crowd shots for the most part.

Brock 11-18-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 9128730)
Black looks very minimal on TV. Wouldn't have even been aware if I weren't posting here. Either way, Clark only sees $$ signs. You want to make an impact? Stop going. Stop buying Chiefs shit.

Posted via Mobile Device

What a freaking dumbass. The tickets are already sold, regardless of whether the stadium is empty or not.

jspchief 11-18-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9128713)
It's publicly funded taxpayer owned land and facilities.

The Chiefs have absolutely NO RIGHT to force people to leave due to a sign asking to fire the head man. That's ludicrous.

I hope the national media jumps all over this deal.

It's a privately owned venue. There is no freedom of speech.

chiefzilla1501 11-18-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

I ****ing hate when people say this.

Not showing up to games and not buying merchandise tells Clark Hunt that this team is angry, but will be happy again when this team wins again. Pioli will hire a new head coach next year. He'll draft a new QB. And the time will be a soft, borderline .500 team. And we're supposed to be happy about that.

**** that. This sends a message that we support our chiefs, but we are not stupid to think that band-aiding the problem is going to make us happy.

I don't think Clark Hunt is stupid. I don't think he doesn't notice why people are wearing black, nor do I think he's oblivious to the idea that there is a Save Our Chiefs movement. The ideas in Save Our Chiefs are 100 times better than simply not showing up and I applaud them for their work.

chiefzilla1501 11-18-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9128811)

I'm not a lawyer, so again... dumb question.

But if you pay for goods and services, shouldn't there be a reasonable expectation of getting that good and service? And if you don't, shouldn't you be able to demand a refund unless there is a very good explanation for why you were not allowed in?

ghak99 11-18-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9128815)
I ****ing hate when people say this.

Not showing up to games and not buying merchandise tells Clark Hunt that this team is angry, but will be happy again when this team wins again. Pioli will hire a new head coach next year. He'll draft a new QB. And the time will be a soft, borderline .500 team. And we're supposed to be happy about that.

**** that. This sends a message that we support our chiefs, but we are not stupid to think that band-aiding the problem is going to make us happy.

I don't think Clark Hunt is stupid. I don't think he doesn't notice why people are wearing black, nor do I think he's oblivious to the idea that there is a Save Our Chiefs movement. The ideas in Save Our Chiefs are 100 times better than simply not showing up and I applaud them for their work.

You can't expect everyone to understand it.

...and the black is very noticeable on tv, as are the empty seats.

DaFace 11-18-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

You may be right, but I have a lot of trouble believing you can take someone's money (for the ticket) and refuse to deliver the service they paid for just because they made you feel poopy in your pants.

siberian khatru 11-18-2012 01:11 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/29/sp...-at-games.html

Bearcat 11-18-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure what some are seeing, but there's plenty of black... it's even noticeable during play when you can only see the first few rows. Lots of empty seats, too, which is even more of a statement. Sure, it's not blacked out by any means, but it was a great effort and I think it exceeded expectations.

chiefzilla1501 11-18-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 9128860)
You can't expect everyone to understand it.

...and the black is very noticeable on tv, as are the empty seats.

Fully agree. It's not rocket science. There are a bunch of empty seats. Those who did show up to the game are mostly in black (keep in mind that there could be some orange within the red). Think the message is clear.

jspchief 11-18-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9128842)
I'm not a lawyer, so again... dumb question.

But if you pay for goods and services, shouldn't there be a reasonable expectation of getting that good and service? And if you don't, shouldn't you be able to demand a refund unless there is a very good explanation for why you were not allowed in?

The Chiefs aren't the only team that dictates what signs are allowed. The entire NFL does it. They may pick their battles, but ultimately they decide what shit they will put up with.

I'm sure they've covered their legal bases on the issue.

You might feel its bullshit. But there is no protected right to express yourself in a private building.

DaFace 11-18-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9128943)
The Chiefs aren't the only team that dictates what signs are allowed. The entire NFL does it. They may pick their battles, but ultimately they decide what shit they will put up with.

You might feel its bullshit. But there is no protected right to express yourself in a private building.

You're probably right, but I do hope this blows up in terms of PR. That's pretty shitty that they're censoring fans now, even if they can technically get away with it legally.

siberian khatru 11-18-2012 01:24 PM

Sam Mellinger ‏@mellinger
If you didn't know any better and just showed up at Arrowhead and looked at the crowd, you'd think the home team's color is black.

chiefzilla1501 11-18-2012 01:29 PM

I think anybody who had a negative experience from security for expressing free speech in a harmless manner should write a respectful letter to Clark Hunt. Every single one of you.

If Hunt is going to claim he's listening to fan letters, even angry ones, time to put his money where his mouth is. If he's going to refund season tickets, he should refund anyone who got booted for expressing free speech.

kcpasco 11-18-2012 01:31 PM

Omaha Omaha
What does it mean?

ghak99 11-18-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 9129086)
Omaha Omaha
What does it mean?

I've always translated it as "I suck, I suck" :shrug:

Cannibal 11-18-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Omaha Omaha
What does it mean?

It means matt cassel sucks gigantic cocks

Dave Lane 11-18-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9129003)
Sam Mellinger ‏@mellinger
If you didn't know any better and just showed up at Arrowhead and looked at the crowd, you'd think the home team's color is black.

****ing awesome. Its what I saw in the parking lots all day when handing out the flyers

Rausch 11-18-2012 01:42 PM

OUR VOICE WILL BE HEARD!

Bugeater 11-18-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

This. I'm surprised at the number of people who do not understand what "freedom of speech" does and does not protect them from.

Rausch 11-18-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9129201)
This. I'm surprised at the number of people who do not understand what "freedom of speech" does and does not protect them from.

Bring litigation against us all...

siberian khatru 11-18-2012 01:51 PM

I guess nobody bothered to read the link I posted. Here's an excerpt:

The debate, like most sports law arguments, is nuanced and complex. Classic public forum free-speech issues, for example, would generally not be applicable at privately owned facilities hosting games, like college basketball games at private universities. Privately owned teams can also contend that a fan’s purchase of a ticket is in fact a contract with the team to conform to a code of conduct, which could include a prohibition on excessive yelling at the officials. But many stadiums and arenas constructed with some public financing, or built on state land or land operated by a municipal authority, could be viewed as public entities. In that setting, a government cannot force citizens to surrender constitutional rights like free speech.

There is some leeway, but where is the line drawn, and on which side does a fan yelling at a referee stand?

“It is an interesting question, and we don’t have an exemplary test case that settles every aspect,” said Scott Rosner, a sports business and law professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School. “But traditionally, courts have come down on the side that free speech at a sporting event has limits. It is a right that is revocable — maybe because the few fans that come before courts have really overdone it.”

But the legal precedents for those interpretations are hard to come by, perhaps for two contrasting reasons, lawyers said. Fans who might have good cases for seemingly unjust ejections are rarely arrested; they are only removed from the event. They may be upset afterward but not aggrieved enough to follow through with a lengthy lawsuit. The other reason is that when a fan does file a civil suit over an ejection, it is almost always settled before a trial because team owners and arena owners fear a landmark case establishing fans’ rights.

“Imagine if a higher court took on such a case?” said Mark Conrad, an associate professor of sports law at Fordham University’s School of Business. “Facility owners would be quaking over anything like that because it could open the floodgates.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/29/sp...l?pagewanted=2

Is there anything written on the back of the tickets, or any signs posted in the parking lot, that prohibit handing out literature or anything like that?

Valiant 11-18-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9128943)

Yes, signs, because they say they will disrupt others viewing..

They cannot kick you out on a tshirt that has no vulgarity.. If they do, you take them to court for your ticket costs, parking and triple damages.. and looking at the other article posted, that is the case across the board for people being unjustly removed that were not disrupting other fans..

DaFace 11-18-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9129234)
I guess nobody bothered to read the link I posted. Here's an excerpt:

The debate, like most sports law arguments, is nuanced and complex. Classic public forum free-speech issues, for example, would generally not be applicable at privately owned facilities hosting games, like college basketball games at private universities. Privately owned teams can also contend that a fan’s purchase of a ticket is in fact a contract with the team to conform to a code of conduct, which could include a prohibition on excessive yelling at the officials. But many stadiums and arenas constructed with some public financing, or built on state land or land operated by a municipal authority, could be viewed as public entities. In that setting, a government cannot force citizens to surrender constitutional rights like free speech.

There is some leeway, but where is the line drawn, and on which side does a fan yelling at a referee stand?

“It is an interesting question, and we don’t have an exemplary test case that settles every aspect,” said Scott Rosner, a sports business and law professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School. “But traditionally, courts have come down on the side that free speech at a sporting event has limits. It is a right that is revocable — maybe because the few fans that come before courts have really overdone it.”

But the legal precedents for those interpretations are hard to come by, perhaps for two contrasting reasons, lawyers said. Fans who might have good cases for seemingly unjust ejections are rarely arrested; they are only removed from the event. They may be upset afterward but not aggrieved enough to follow through with a lengthy lawsuit. The other reason is that when a fan does file a civil suit over an ejection, it is almost always settled before a trial because team owners and arena owners fear a landmark case establishing fans’ rights.

“Imagine if a higher court took on such a case?” said Mark Conrad, an associate professor of sports law at Fordham University’s School of Business. “Facility owners would be quaking over anything like that because it could open the floodgates.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/29/sp...l?pagewanted=2

Is there anything written on the back of the tickets, or any signs posted in the parking lot, that prohibit handing out literature or anything like that?

Good to know, though I doubt anything changes here. I think the best we can hope for is that the media makes a stink about it.

siberian khatru 11-18-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9129364)
Good to know, though I doubt anything changes here. I think the best we can hope for is that the media makes a stink about it.

Agreed

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-18-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9128376)
I'm seeing some black shirts out there, but not as many as I would have hoped for. Although, the stadium really does look half empty

That's what my old man reported as well, from the tv perspective anyway.

Quote:

It's time to ass-rape that worthless, scungilli-eating ****stick.

Chief77 11-18-2012 06:00 PM

If todays blackout Arrowhead day helps to really kick start the end of Pioli, I would love to see one of those Blackout hoodies in one of the stadium glass displays. It was an awesome effort by fans to organize today, and hopefully wake up Mr. Hunt before its too late.

NJChiefsFan 11-18-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Omaha Omaha
What does it mean?

It means run. Eli does it just slightly better than Matty does.