ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger | Chiefs discover new way to fail (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266560)

Tribal Warfare 11-13-2012 12:38 AM

Mellinger | Chiefs discover new way to fail

Mellinger | Chiefs discover new way to fail
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star
The Chiefs’ best game of the year ended in the most appropriate way possible: a turnover and a loss. Now comes the part where they push and pull about what it means. Everything up to the jobs of the head coach and general manager may hang in the balance.

That we’re now into the second half of the season with the Chiefs having one win and talking about their best game ending in a loss would be sadder if we weren’t well past the point of worrying about such signs of ineptitude.

The Chiefs played tough, and fearless. And even though they blew what turned out to be a 16-13 loss in overtime here on Monday night, as long as the men in charge are still in charge they have a chance to stay in charge.

Hey, if nothing else, they finally ended that ridiculous season-long streak of never leading while the clock was running. They looked, mostly, like a real NFL team. Like they practice and everything.

“The guys played their hearts out,” coach Romeo Crennel said. “If the guys keep playing that way, we’ll get this turned.”

It remains virtually impossible to imagine them doing it, but in a season of such historical and thorough failure you can hear quarterback Matt Cassel say this was “without a doubt” the Chiefs’ best game of the year and nod your head with understanding.

But looked at from other angles, the Chiefs found new ways to embarrass themselves. So we picked up a few more anecdotes to rehash if and when owner Clark Hunt decides to make major changes.

He already had all the reasoning he needs, but an unforgettably creative one came in the third quarter when the Chiefs did the Chiefs-est thing of the season: a “group celebration” penalty for a touchdown that didn’t count on their way to 1-8. The refs called back the score on a penalty, but did enforce the penalty.

So to review: the guys tied for the worst record in the league got flagged for celebrating a touchdown that never happened. This is officially the cockiest terrible team in NFL history.

Every once in a while, a dirty mop bucket of a season breaks for comedy.

Starting today, the Chiefs will publicly try to spin this as a positive turning point. They will talk about how hard they played and how they took a Super Bowl contender into overtime on the road, but they’re just as likely to have peaked as continue to ascend.

Because how much longer will the defense continue to play this hard when the quarterback goes 11 for 26 with the game-ending interception?

How much longer will Jamaal Charles continue to run so hard for a team going nowhere, each hit taking a bit off the already perilous career of an NFL running back?

The Chiefs very clearly took this matchup against their old coach on their sport’s biggest stage personally, and part of how this season ends up will depend on how Hunt interprets it.

He can be impressed with the effort, or frustrated that personal vendettas are required to bring it out.

He can think about taking one of the NFL’s model franchises to the wire, or he can think of the stupid mistakes and embarrassing moments that made it end in another disappointment.

A missed field goal, a kickoff out of bounds, a kick return fumbled and picked up twice, continued problems covering the tight end, a hole at left guard, more dropped passes, the knucklehead star receiver taunting Pittsburgh’s defense on a touchdown that got called back, and this list could keep going.

Remember, a miniature meltdown in New York served as the final sin that allowed Scott Pioli to fire Todd Haley last year.

In strictly football terms, the Chiefs just played their best game for a coach and GM who will need more of it to stick around long-term. There’s a banner scheduled to fly above Kansas City rush hour traffic Friday morning that represents a vocal segment of the fan base rooting against that.

The Chiefs’ future depends in part on whether the buttoned-down owner cares more about a team playing hard, or the embarrassing moments that did them in.

T-post Tom 11-13-2012 12:41 AM

If only creating new and inventive ways to fail counted towards making the playoffs.

007 11-13-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

“The guys played their hearts out,” coach Romeo Crennel said. “If the guys keep playing that way, we’ll get this turned.”
This quote just makes me feel RAGE.

Hammock Parties 11-13-2012 02:09 AM

Romeo keeps blaming the players in backhanded ways. He's such a fake nice guy...huge dick, just like all the other Patriot Way leaders.

ChiefMojo 11-13-2012 06:08 AM

We just need to keep the pressure up, don't let scumbags like Pioli try to spin anything into success. We need to let Clark know a three point loss in OT is still NOT acceptable. A good team (franchise) would have beat the Steelers by 20+ points last night easily!

BlackHelicopters 11-13-2012 06:46 AM

This was a new way to lose? A turnover in a critical situation. Same story, different day. No news here Sam.

the Talking Can 11-13-2012 06:55 AM

it's amazing how little concern anyone in this franchise has about the fact we are 1-8 and ****ing embarrassing....

as long as everyone feels like they're trying, it's ok by pioli...as long as Cassel means well, it is ok that he has stolen every single penny of his contract...no accountability from Clark means no accountability for anyone (except stanford routt, who was i guess our only problem)

Pasta Little Brioni 11-13-2012 06:57 AM

Team got some Jack in the Box and got high as **** after the game.

siberian khatru 11-13-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9114449)
it's amazing how little concern anyone in this franchise has about the fact we are 1-8 and ****ing embarrassing....

as long as everyone feels like they're trying, it's ok by pioli...as long as Cassel means well, it is ok that he has stolen every single penny of his contract...no accountability from Clark means no accountability for anyone (except stanford routt, who was i guess our only problem)

I hope they took the entire team out for ice cream afterward.

FAX 11-13-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9114373)
Romeo keeps blaming the players in backhanded ways. He's such a fake nice guy...huge dick, just like all the other Patriot Way leaders.

Roleo is a survivor.

You simply don't achieve his status in the NFL without cutting some throats along the way. Nor, of course, do you achieve his girth without stealing other people's food. I am certain that, when Pioli has him over, the kitchen cabinets and fridge are padlocked.

FAX

Coogs 11-13-2012 07:12 AM

I thought we played like it was our Super Bowl last night. I kept thinking... "Who are these guys in white, and what did they do with our Chiefs?"

Pasta Little Brioni 11-13-2012 07:16 AM

It's amazing what a semi early score and not turning the ball over 5 times will do.

HemiEd 11-13-2012 07:21 AM

Well it was entertaining. I just don't get the mentality of taunting and celebrating with this level of fail.

the Talking Can 11-13-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9114488)
I thought we played like it was our Super Bowl last night. I kept thinking... "Who are these guys in white, and what did they do with our Chiefs?"

i kept thinking, "Who are these guys with clown noses and clown shoes doing clown dances?"

htismaqe 11-13-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9114514)
Well it was entertaining. I just don't get the mentality of taunting and celebrating with this level of fail.

You don't approve or you don't get it?

Because I ABSOLUTELY get it - the inmates are running the asylum, just like most of us knew would happen.

Romeo is the worst head coach we've ever had.

el borracho 11-13-2012 07:49 AM

Horrible coaching and horrible QB play is not new; it's been killing us all season.

Romeo's Pants 11-13-2012 08:26 AM

The lack of discipline in this Chiefs team is just unprecedented.

http://www.abload.de/img/untitled-3abi1h.gif

The defense fiddles while Rome burns.

Woodchuck 11-13-2012 08:31 AM

Was the Hali/Houston dance a traditional African dance? I'm just curious what that was?

I watched Nigeria win the gold at the 1996 Olympics in Athens and they were dancing similar to that.

headsnap 11-13-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsponge Chuckpants (Post 9114702)
Was the Hali/Houston dance a traditional African dance? I'm just curious what that was?

I watched Nigeria win the gold at the 1996 Olympics in Athens and they were dancing similar to that.

ROFL

FAX 11-13-2012 08:33 AM

Yes. It is a variation of the traditional African fire god dance in which the natives are known to engage when attempting to prevent a volcano from erupting and covering their village with 90 feet of molten lava.

FAX

loochy 11-13-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

THIS.

All of you that are complaining, along with the NFL refs, are RACIST and INSENSITIVE of their culture.

headsnap 11-13-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9114449)
no accountability from Clark means no accountability for anyone (except stanford routt, who was i guess our only problem)

it's only a problem when you show up late for a meeting without bringing donuts...

ARROW2 11-13-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9114711)
THIS.

All of you that are complaining, along with the NFL refs, are RACIST and INSENSITIVE of their culture.

The criticism of the dancing is tinged with racism. That is not why they lost, none of that led to points for Pitt. Cassell is THE issue point blank....Let's talk about THAT!!!

ARROW2 11-13-2012 08:38 AM

Stop blaming the dancing

ARROW2 11-13-2012 08:39 AM

Herm's teams didn't dance. What did they win. Denver was doing the Cam Superman thing after every sack....So what?

headsnap 11-13-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 9114720)
The criticism of the dancing is tinged with racism.

:shake:

ARROW2 11-13-2012 08:40 AM

Cassell, was and is the issue and the fraudulent GM that stuck with him

FAX 11-13-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 9114728)

And he cannot dance.

I'm beginning to see your point here, Mr. ARROW2.

FAX

rabblerouser 11-13-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romeo's Pants (Post 9114690)

Shaka-zulu, bitches!!! One and eight...twenty-twelve, unh!!

loochy 11-13-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

The criticism of the dancing is tinged with racism. That is not why they lost, none of that led to points for Pitt. Cassell is THE issue point blank....Let's talk about THAT!!!

NO DANCING IS CLEARLY THE REASON THE CHIEFS LOST

IF YOU DANCE THEN IT MAKES YOUR QB SUCK AND YOUR PLAYCALLING WORTHLESS

ITS A FACT

DEAL WITH IT

Donger 11-13-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Wow, that looks like the Camp Town Ladies scene from Blazing Saddles.

TimeForWasp 11-13-2012 09:11 AM

They had to know this would be a penalty and just didn't give a shit. Neither do I. **** it. I hope they do that shit once in every ****ing game left this year.

loochy 11-13-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touchdown Kansas City !!! (Post 9114787)
They had to know this would be a penalty and just didn't give a shit. Neither do I. **** it. I hope they do that shit once in every ****ing game left this year.

This.

Who cares anymore? It doesn't matter. Dance away.

ARROW2 11-13-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9114749)
NO DANCING IS CLEARLY THE REASON THE CHIEFS LOST

IF YOU DANCE THEN IT MAKES YOUR QB SUCK AND YOUR PLAYCALLING WORTHLESS

ITS A FACT

DEAL WITH IT

LMAOLMAOLMAO Good one!!!

Frosty 11-13-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Wasn't that the drive that led to the go ahead FG for Pitt? Without the dancing penalty, the Steelers punt after the refs reviewed the play. Instead, it was 15 yards and a first down near mid-field.

loochy 11-13-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9114851)
Wasn't that the drive that led to the go ahead FG for Pitt? Without the dancing penalty, the Steelers punt after the refs reviewed the play. Instead, it was 15 yards and a first down near mid-field.

But we wanted to lose the game, right?

Frosty 11-13-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9114870)
But we wanted to lose the game, right?

Of course.

loochy 11-13-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9114875)
Of course.

I can't even remember what side I'm rooting for anymore.

I had my wife really confused last night when I told her that the Chiefs were "going to screw around and win this game."

Chiefs Pantalones 11-13-2012 09:58 AM

On Sirius radio this morning they were talking about how this was good for the Chiefs. Meaning that the whole nation sees what the problem is now (QB, GM and coach) so now the ball is in Clark's court.

Reaper16 11-13-2012 10:24 AM

Fact: everyone who is upset with the celebration dances last night voted for Romney.

gochiefss 11-13-2012 10:25 AM

yepper

Dayze 11-13-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9114914)
On Sirius radio this morning they were talking about how this was good for the Chiefs. Meaning that the whole nation sees what the problem is now (QB, GM and coach) so now the soccer ball is in Clark's court.

FYP

TimeForWasp 11-13-2012 10:27 AM

They were doing the Save Our Chiefs dance.

Kidd Lex 11-13-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9114991)
Fact: everyone who is upset with the celebration dances last night voted for Romney.

I was upset witht the dance and I voted for Romney. :hmmm:

Reaper16 11-13-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 9115028)
I was upset witht the dance and I voted for Romney. :hmmm:

I don't even mean it judgmentally. I think certain Americans of a certain demographic believe there is a correct way that a man should carry himself. And those people are right in the GOP wheelhouse.

Not to send this to D.C. or anything.

loochy 11-13-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9115036)
I don't even mean it judgmentally. I think certain Americans of a certain demographic believe there is a correct way that a man should carry himself. And those people are right in the GOP wheelhouse.

Not to send this to D.C. or anything.

GTFO with that crap.

Can't we unite on the Chiefs' suckage?

Fat Elvis 11-13-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Not fact. I wasn't a fan of the dances and I voted for Obama.

loochy 11-13-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9115044)

I don't give a damn about the dancing AND I voted for Romney only because I felt he was the lesser of 2 evils.

Reaper16 11-13-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Ace Gunner 11-13-2012 10:47 AM

I don't mind dancing on the field etc, but it was an obvious blunderful penalty and well, that is stupid shit.

DTLB58 11-13-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's a way of them saying "Nobody is controlling us. This is a joke! Please help!"

GloryDayz 11-13-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9114461)
I hope they took the entire team out for ice cream afterward.

http://dustinstockton.com/wp-content...tion-award.png

Dayze 11-13-2012 12:00 PM

the thing that is funn about that gif, is how it seems like player after player after player arrives to do the 'dance' or whatever the **** you call it.

GloryDayz 11-13-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9115294)
the thing that is funn about that gif, is how it seems like player after player after player arrives to do the 'dance' or whatever the **** you call it.

http://videotodvd.homestead.com/HHHH...HHHHHHHHHH.gif http://www.animationplayhouse.com/hillbilly.gif

Ebolapox 11-13-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

holy shit. you've officially said the dumbest shit ever said on the interwebs. there are some dumb mother****ers out there, but you make them look like goddamned einsteins, every one of them. it's remarkable that you can even function. you should be ****ing studied by science as an anomoly--the first human who was less intelligent than a fruit fly.

Titty Meat 11-13-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Yeah because only a certain Demographic is upset with getting penalized for dancing over an incomplete pass which resulted in a first down in a close game.

Sorter 11-13-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h5n1 (Post 9115389)
holy shit. you've officially said the dumbest shit ever said on the interwebs. there are some dumb mother****ers out there, but you make them look like goddamned einsteins, every one of them. it's remarkable that you can even function. you should be ****ing studied by science as an anomoly--the first human who was less intelligent than a fruit fly.

repLMAO

ARROW2 11-13-2012 02:11 PM

No, the Chiefs held. Try again

ARROW2 11-13-2012 02:12 PM

Real talk

Sorter 11-13-2012 02:13 PM

****. Romeo really did work on that "Remember the Titans" bullshit last week.

ARROW2 11-13-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9114851)

No, Chiefs held. Try again

ARROW2 11-13-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Real talk

Sorter 11-13-2012 02:25 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...52/749/e44.gif
Quote:

ARROW2 11-13-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9115809)

The watermelon? Really?

ARROW2 11-13-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Good thing I have a sense of humor......OK, that is some racist shit but I did laugh at the shit

the Talking Can 11-13-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

[speechless]

it is un-possible to be as dumb as you are...

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO BE THIS ****ING STUPID

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??????????!

Sorter 11-13-2012 02:29 PM

What about it?

ARROW2 11-13-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Sadly, this is how people see the dancing....Herm didn't tolerate dancing, how did that turn out?

Sorter 11-13-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 9115822)
Good thing I have a sense of humor......OK, that is some racist shit but I did laugh at the shit

:)

frankotank 11-13-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

wow.
this gif is just mesmerizing. I watch it over and over and over and keep seeing something new each time. it's simply HILARIOUS!
the ONLY way this could be better is if a white dude was in there too trying to get his shizzle rolling.
best play of the game. awesome! GO CHIEFS! ROFL

Sorter 11-13-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9115830)
wow.
this gif is just mesmerizing. I watch it over and over and over and keep seeing something new each time. it's simply HILARIOUS!
the ONLY way this could be better is if a white dude was in there too trying to get his shizzle rolling.
best play of the game. awesome! GO CHIEFS! ROFL

Bring back McGraw/Sabby?

frankotank 11-13-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 9114728)

you're just saying that cause he's white! ROFL

frankotank 11-13-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

:hmmm:
you may be on to something here....

frankotank 11-13-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

yeah but the only reason you "wasn't a fan of the dances" is because YOU CAN'T DANCE! :evil:

Dayze 11-13-2012 02:44 PM

WTF is Hali doing..

frankotank 11-13-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9115868)
WTF is Hali doing..

it looks like the kinda dance you do with a stripper bent over in front of you....

Sorter 11-13-2012 03:07 PM

Colquitt, Eachus, and Hillis dancing.

http://i54.tinypic.com/n6w1uu.gif

ARROW2 11-13-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9115836)
you're just saying that cause he's white! ROFL

No, they ****in suck

Sorter 11-13-2012 03:12 PM

At least nobody on the team danced like this

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/...ggonewrong.gif

frankotank 11-13-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9115919)
Colquitt, Eachus, and Hillis dancing.

http://i54.tinypic.com/n6w1uu.gif

an interesting gif to be sure. whilst the dancer is intriguing, my eye is drawn to the open shirted freak in the background. his bulbous gut on display and sporting a frigging surgical mask.