ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Matt Barkley, Geno Smith out to prove 2013 draft's QBs are franchise players (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270222)

Tribal Warfare 02-20-2013 02:37 PM

Matt Barkley, Geno Smith out to prove 2013 draft's QBs are franchise players

Matt Barkley, Geno Smith out to prove 2013 draft's QBs are franchise players

BRADENTON, Fla. — Matt Barkley, Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson are tired of the (unfavorable) comparisons
from experts who insist the 2013 NFL draft's top quarterback prospects don't stack up with Andrew Luck or
Robert Griffin III as sure-fire, rock-star franchise players.
ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay went so far as to say he doesn't see a first-rounder among a crop he says is
the antithesis of last year's draft -- in which Luck and Griffin established themselves early as the top two picks
to the Indianapolis Colts and Washington Redskins, respectively.
But beneath ready smiles burns a smoldering pride. Smith, a former West Virginia passer, and Barkley, from
University of Southern California, believe they are franchise answers in their own right.
"I feel like I am the best, and (given) what I've done up until this point, I do have a case for being the No. 1 overall pick,'' Smith told USA TODAY Sports
at IMG Academy. "It's up to the GMs and coaches. I have plenty of work to do still as a player and a person. I have to go up to Indianapolis (at the
scouting combine) and impress them there.
"I have the capabilities to be a franchise guy. It's just about exhibiting that.''

The strong-armed Smith (6-3, 220 pounds) will throw on the combine stage Sunday inside Lucas Oil Stadium after declining to play in the Senior Bowl.
Barkley can't begin to prove doubters wrong until his March 27 pro day (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...e-usc/1928257/) when he is expected to be 100% recovered from a season-ending sprained right (throwing) shoulder he
suffered Nov. 17 against UCLA.
"Geno should think he should be the No. 1 pick like I think I should be No. 1,'' said Barkley, who was viewed to own that position last year when he
returned to the Trojans for his senior season. "Just like (Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl MVP) Joe Flacco said, 'I'm the best quarterback in the NFL.' And
then he lived up to it.
"I don't have any doubts in my mind where I want to be. My goal is to go out and prove why I should be.''
Barkley steered USC through its rocky transition from former coach Pete Carroll to Lane Kiffin, a period that included NCAA sanctions including a twoyear bowl ban. Barkley hoped to finally compete for a national championship in 2012 only to struggle along with his 7-6 team.

CrazyPhuD 02-22-2013 12:04 AM

Well to be fair all high QB draft picks are franchise players....they either make the franchise....or break the franchise....

Molitoth 02-22-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9424612)
Well to be fair all high QB draft picks are franchise players....they either make the franchise....or break the franchise....

What if it's already broken?

Ace Gunner 02-22-2013 07:21 AM

I think I am the most amazing man in the world. heh

Fansy the Famous Bard 02-22-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9424760)
What if it's already broken?

you can always make little rocks even smaller.

Bewbies 02-22-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9424612)

If 2-14 isn't already broken I don't know what is...

OnTheWarpath15 02-22-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9424789)
you can always make little rocks even smaller.

This franchise is the finest grade of sand.

Fansy the Famous Bard 02-23-2013 09:37 AM

I don't understand... Why so many people are searching for reasons NOT to draft Geno.

What is it that people are scared of?

Because he's black? Because he's not Luck? Because he's not 6' 5" 240?

Help us understand.

I see nothing but positives with this kid. He's got everything that we are looking for in a QB, and then some... one of the most accurate passers out there... driven... a winner.

htismaqe 02-23-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9427855)
I don't understand... Why so many people are searching for reasons NOT to draft Geno.

What is it that people are scared of?

Because he's black? Because he's not Luck? Because he's not 6' 5" 240?

Help us understand.

I see nothing but positives with this kid. He's got everything that we are looking for in a QB, and then some... one of the most accurate passers out there... driven... a winner.

Because if he's no good, we might be 2-14 again and in position to draft Teddy ****ing Bridgewater.

We need a tackle. We need 9 wins, January BBQ, and a playoff loss!

RealSNR 02-23-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9424815)
This franchise is the finest grade of sand.

I don't know if they grade it.... but "coarse"

Sorter 02-23-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9428014)
I don't know if they grade it.... but "coarse"

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/sla...gle3-large.JPG

melbar 02-23-2013 02:36 PM

That's why we're here right? To break down everyones game to the smallest degree. What translates from college? How many great statistical QB's didn't make it at the next level. The big question I've seen with Geno is why can he nail a throw through a window with touch on one throw, but then miss badly a wide open receiver breaking away from one on one coverage? Still better than anyone we have on roster...

Fansy the Famous Bard 02-23-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 9428613)
That's why we're here right? To break down everyones game to the smallest degree. What translates from college? How many great statistical QB's didn't make it at the next level. The big question I've seen with Geno is why can he nail a throw through a window with touch on one throw, but then miss badly a wide open receiver breaking away from one on one coverage? Still better than anyone we have on roster...

what are you talking about? At one point the guy had more TD's than incompletions... is that some made up notion that you've come up with?

melbar 02-23-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9428652)
what are you talking about? At one point the guy had more TD's than incompletions... is that some made up notion that you've come up with?

Watch the Mayock video on the main page. Didn't say I dont like him, but there's the proof on video. Just saying its odd to make such incredible throws then miss some wide open ones. Obviously not the only one to see it if they felt the need to make a video montage of it.

Dave Lane 02-25-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 9429077)
Watch the Mayock video on the main page. Didn't say I dont like him, but there's the proof on video. Just saying its odd to make such incredible throws then miss some wide open ones. Obviously not the only one to see it if they felt the need to make a video montage of it.

Completely understand, ALL elite QBs never miss a throw. I mean come on...