ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Madden 2013 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260011)

jd1020 08-16-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8823475)
You know signing a licensing agreement and a monopoly are not even close to the same thing right? It's bad for football gamers yes but it's not close to a monopoly.

Where is the disconnect between Madden and monopoly?

Mecca 08-16-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8823490)
Where is the disconnect between Madden and monopoly?

The NFL put their game up to be exclusive all companies had the right to bid on it, EA chose to pay the most. It would be like saying the NFL has a monopoly with Directv. All of the exclusive deals make the NFL more money and hurt competition but they also aren't monopolies.

jd1020 08-16-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8823495)
The NFL put their game up to be exclusive all companies had the right to bid on it, EA chose to pay the most. It would be like saying the NFL has a monopoly with Directv. All of the exclusive deals make the NFL more money and hurt competition but they also aren't monopolies.

I guess I don't understand how 1 company has exclusive rights to supply a product isn't a monopoly. That's like the very definition of the word.

Sorter 08-16-2012 03:49 PM

From that video and playing the demo, I'm not impressed. O-Line blocking animation looks shitty, and it took Jaamal almost 4 seconds to run not even 30 yards

Mecca 08-16-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8823499)
I guess I don't understand how 1 company has exclusive rights to supply a product isn't a monopoly. That's like the very definition of the word.

All sports leagues can sign exclusive rights to 1 company if they choose to. Matter of fact 2k just had an exclusive deal for baseball but the reason the show existed is because in those deals the console producer could also make a game.

So start praying for microsoft or sony football I guess. Truth be told if they put it up for exclusive license again, EA will win it again. No company in their right mind is gonna pay huge money to outbid EA and then have to start from scratch on a series they haven't touched in years.

jd1020 08-16-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8823508)
All sports leagues can sign exclusive rights to 1 company if they choose to. Matter of fact 2k just had an exclusive deal for baseball but the reason the show existed is because in those deals the console producer could also make a game.

So start praying for microsoft or sony football I guess. Truth be told if they put it up for exclusive license again, EA will win it again. No company in their right mind is gonna pay huge money to outbid EA and then have to start from scratch on a series they haven't touched in years.

Just because the license is up for auction doesn't make it not a monopoly. In the end only 1 company has the rights to develop and supply the product. Doesn't matter if its EA, Sony, or Microsoft. It's still a monopoly.

Mecca 08-16-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8823518)
Just because the license is up for auction doesn't make it not a monopoly. In the end only 1 company has the rights to develop and supply the product. Doesn't matter if its EA, Sony, or Microsoft. It's still a monopoly.

I believe technically to be considered a monopoly they'd have to make all the video games in the market. So it will never be considered a monopoly because they supply the only football game.

jd1020 08-16-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8823525)
I believe technically to be considered a monopoly they'd have to make all the video games in the market. So it will never be considered a monopoly because they supply the only football game.

What other market is going to go up against a football game other than a football game?

Mecca 08-16-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8823529)
What other market is going to go up against a football game other than a football game?

Ok I'm going to use a comparison to see if you follow. There are however many video games in the industry just because only EA does football doesn't make it a monopoly.

Fore example say in the world of pro wrestling the WWE is the only game in town, they're not considered a monopoly because they are in the world of entertainment. They're the only place you can go for wrestling but not entertainment so it's not a monopoly.

Follow?

jd1020 08-16-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8823539)
Ok I'm going to use a comparison to see if you follow. There are however many video games in the industry just because only EA does football doesn't make it a monopoly.

Fore example say in the world of pro wrestling the WWE is the only game in town, they're not considered a monopoly because they are in the world of entertainment. They're the only place you can go for wrestling but not entertainment so it's not a monopoly.

Follow?

What. The. ****?

Does WWE have EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to people hitting each other?

EA has EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to the NFL franchise. Meaning they are the only company in the business than can produce a NFL game. No other company can do that. They control the market. That is the very definition of the word monopoly.

Mecca 08-16-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8823549)
What. The. ****?

Does WWE have EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS to people hitting each other?

Why the hell is this concept so hard to grasp. For this to ever go up as a monopoly in this country EA would have to literally make every game in the market.

And frankly other companies can still make football games right now they just don't have the NFL license so they'd be no name players on made up teams.

It's bad for football gamers but there is nothing illegal about it.

jd1020 08-16-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8823555)
Why the hell is this concept so hard to grasp. For this to ever go up as a monopoly in this country EA would have to literally make every game in the market.

And frankly other companies can still make football games right now they just don't have the NFL license so they'd be no name players on made up teams.

It's bad for football gamers but there is nothing illegal about it.

Jesus christ. There is no other market for football other than football.

Monopolies aren't 100% illegal.

Mecca 08-16-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8823562)
Jesus christ. There is no other market for football other than football.

Monopolies aren't 100% illegal.

Yet it's not viewed that way, it's viewed as the video game industry, sports gaming is a tiny slice of that pie with football being just a slice of that.

Football gaming is not an exclusive section that isn't part of the video game world.

jd1020 08-16-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8823570)
Yet it's not viewed that way, it's viewed as the video game industry, sports gaming is a tiny slice of that pie with football being just a slice of that.

Football gaming is not an exclusive section that isn't part of the video game world.

So what game are you going to replace Madden with if you are in the market for a NFL football game?

Mecca 08-16-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8823579)
So what game are you going to replace Madden with if you are in the market for a NFL football game?

Nothing that is the same, if you don't like GTA would you like there to be another version of it made by another company or something?

Sports gaming is the only type of gaming where having similar games is good for gamers, but to the world of video gaming they don't give a ****. Matter of fact most of them think sports games suck and have shitty graphics and are paint by numbers etc etc.

We're talking about a small section of gaming aimed at a niche crowd, it's why Madden never changes they basically bank what their profit is before the game ever releases because they know.

jd1020 08-16-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8823591)
Nothing that is the same, if you don't like GTA would you like there to be another version of it made by another company or something?

I can go out an buy plenty of games from a plethora of different companies if I want to kill shit. I can only buy 1 game from 1 company that has exclusive rights to the product if I want to buy a NFL game.

Bump 08-16-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8823508)

fact is, this licensing deal created a monopoly. A monopoly is a monopoly. There used to be others who could make football games, made money doing it and were forced to shut down. It's the definition of monopoly.

Bump 08-16-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 8823539)

Follow?

that's a horrible comparison. Say 3 companies were making football games before this monopoly deal they made with EA. EA, 2K and Sega all made football games and had built a business around these football games. Well this deal forces 2K and Sega to shut down immediately and not allowed to continue to make money so that only one company can make money. That's creating a monopoly.

jd1020 08-16-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8823644)
that's a horrible comparison. Say 3 companies were making football games before this monopoly deal they made with EA. EA, 2K and Sega all made football games and had built a business around these football games. Well this deal forces 2K and Sega to shut down immediately and not allowed to continue to make money so that only one company can make money. That's creating a monopoly.

I'm not quite sure how anyone can say it's not a monopoly. EA just settled a lawsuit to shut people up about their exclusive rights to the NFL.

bowener 08-16-2012 05:08 PM

It isn't a monopoly. Mecca is correct. No, I am not a lawyer, nor do I claim to be. This just simply isn't a monopoly. EA bought the rights to use NFL names/images. 2K can go out and make a football game that looks similar to EA's madden if they wish (just not too similar), they just don't have permission to use any trademarked images/names the NFL owns.

Hell, 2K can probably make a game that is called "Pro Football 2013", which has 32 teams in 31 cities (2 in NYC), each active roster would have 53 men, etc... as long as they don't have a team in Arizona called the "Arizona Cardinals". They can have a team in KC as long as it is something like, "the KC Cherokees" or something. I'm not sure if they could use the same NFL color schemes for each team tho.

I'm surprised somebody like 2K hasn't made this game where the owners of the game are allowed to customize everything, including editing images/rosters/player names, stadium names, etc. I know they wouldn't make much money on it being a yearly release since you could just edit the previous one to play like a new game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8823644)

Sega and 2K can make another pro football simulator if they wish, they just can't use anything trademarked by the NFL.

Do you think Warner Bros. has a monopoly over Batman films? They own the exclusive rights to produce Batman films. I'm sure FOX would love to be able to make a Batman film, but unfortunately they do not have the exclusive rights to do so... much like Sega/2K.

jd1020 08-16-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 8823702)
It isn't a monopoly. Mecca is correct. No, I am not a lawyer, nor do I claim to be. This just simply isn't a monopoly. EA bought the rights to use NFL names/images. 2K can go out and make a football game that looks similar to EA's madden if they wish (just not too similar), they just don't have permission to use any trademarked images/names the NFL owns.

Hell, 2K can probably make a game that is called "Pro Football 2013", which has 32 teams in 31 cities (2 in NYC), each active roster would have 53 men, etc... as long as they don't have a team in Arizona called the "Arizona Cardinals". They can have a team in KC as long as it is something like, "the KC Cherokees" or something. I'm not sure if they could use the same NFL color schemes for each team tho.

I'm surprised somebody like 2K hasn't made this game where the owners of the game are allowed to customize everything, including editing images/rosters/player names, stadium names, etc. I know they wouldn't make much money on it being a yearly release since you could just edit the previous one to play like a new game.

Sega and 2K can make another pro football simulator if they wish, they just can't use anything trademarked by the NFL.

Do you think Warner Bros. has a monopoly over Batman films? They own the exclusive rights to produce Batman films. I'm sure FOX would love to be able to make a Batman film, but unfortunately they do not have the exclusive rights to do so... much like Sega/2K.

Get back to me when a company makes such a game and it actually attracts buyers. EA owns the football genre and everyone knows it. No company is going to make an unofficial sim because they can't compete with the real thing. EA would still control the market and it would still be a monopoly because they have exclusive rights to the product.

Why did EA just settle a lawsuit complaining about their exclusive rights if there wasn't a monopoly? Hell... they are paying back customers who bought the game after 2005 because of this. They also just accepted a ban from exclusive rights to NCAA after 2014 for 5 years. All of this to keep their exclusive rights with the NFL because thats where the money is.

bowener 08-16-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8823728)
Get back to me when a company makes such a game and it actually attracts buyers. EA owns the football genre and everyone knows it. No company is going to make an unofficial sim because they can't compete with the real thing. EA would still control the market and it would still be a monopoly because they have exclusive rights to the product.

Why did EA just settle a lawsuit complaining about their exclusive rights if there wasn't a monopoly? Hell... they are paying back customers who bought the game after 2005 because of this.

You just answered this yourself. It is not a ****ing monopoly. Any other company is free to make a football game. They just can't make one using the NFL's trademarked images/names. It isn't EA's problem if 2K can't make a profit. I am not a fan of this at all, but that is the cut and dry of this. One company has a ton of money and can afford to throw it around to make more money for themselves.

And I do not know anything about the law suit, except for the fact that they settled and did not lose. If they lost then it could have been a monopoly. This just tells me they realized settling would net them more profit in the long term. Plus, if there was a legitimate monopoly suit filed against them it couldn't be settled, it would be handed down by the ****ing US government, not private companies or consumers...

You must agree then that Warner Bros. holds a monopoly on Batman images for film then.

kcxiv 08-16-2012 05:26 PM

It technically isnt a monopoly by law, but in reality it is. There is no other football game that will survive no matter how good it is. If it doesnt have that NFL or NCAA logo on it, its a no go. They are toooo strong of a brand.

APF is still the best playing "Football game" but people dont care, they want to play with their teams. I dont blame them either the NFL is that freaking big.

jd1020 08-16-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 8823738)
You just answered this yourself. It is not a ****ing monopoly. Any other company is free to make a football game. They just can't make one using the NFL's trademarked images/names. It isn't EA's problem if 2K can't make a profit. I am not a fan of this at all, but that is the cut and dry of this. One company has a ton of money and can afford to throw it around to make more money for themselves.

And I do not know anything about the law suit, except for the fact that they settled and did not lose. If they lost then it could have been a monopoly. This just tells me they realized settling would net them more profit in the long term. Plus, if there was a legitimate monopoly suit filed against them it couldn't be settled, it would be handed down by the ****ing US government, not private companies or consumers...

How is it not? 1 company controls the ****ing market.

Next are you going to tell me that Microsoft just stopped making football games because it wasn't profitable enough? Or how that after EA was given exclusive rights the price from NFL 2k went from 19.99 to 49.99 for Madden?

EA controls the market and the pricing. That is a monopoly. Look up the definition.

kcxiv 08-16-2012 05:34 PM

Just say EA has a NCAA and NFL football monopoly and be done.

Kyle DeLexus 08-16-2012 05:37 PM

http://i.qkme.me/36eamv.jpg

Kyle DeLexus 08-16-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8823748)
How is it not? 1 company controls the ****ing market.

Next are you going to tell me that Microsoft just stopped making football games because it wasn't profitable enough? Or how that after EA was given exclusive rights the price from NFL 2k went from 19.99 to 49.99 for Madden?

EA controls the market and the pricing. That is a monopoly. Look up the definition.

When has a new copy of Madden been more than a new copy of most other video games?

kcxiv 08-16-2012 05:48 PM

That 19.99 argument is dumb. 2K did that for one reason and one reason only, to get their name out. They did it for ALL their sports games that year, and they never ever sold anything full game that cheap again. It worked, the problem is the NFL wanted to go exclusive like they do with ALL their licenses. Jerseys, helmets, you name it, its exclusive.

EA just had deeper pockets then 2K, and considering 2K sold a ****ton of assets a few years back thats sitting in the bank collecting interest, they have money to throw at the football license if the NFL doesnt extend it again.

Bump 08-16-2012 05:51 PM

if it's not a monopoly why did EA settle? Shouldn't a judge just throw it out if it's not a monopoly? Granted I haven't looked into this much, lol. But if you shell out the money, you can have a legal monopoly in America. Yankees are another example of that.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/21/ea-s...opoly-lawsuit/

EA settles Madden monopoly lawsuit

A class-action lawsuit claiming EA Sports’ exclusive on the NFL football license constitutes an illegal monopoly has been finalized.

What this means, is that consumers who purchased a Madden product from EA between 2005 and today on PS3, Wii or Xbox 360, they can get $1.95 back as part of the suit. If it’s a Madden game for GameCube, PS2, or Xbox, they can get $6.79.

The lawsuit also puts a five-year ban on an exclusive license between EA Sports and the NCAA once the current contract expires in 2014. The last NCAA football game released by a company other than EA was Sega’s College Football 2K3 10 years ago. EA can sign any non-exclusive deal with the NCAA after 2014.

EA Sports also can’t sign any exclusive licensing contracts with the Arena Football League for five years.

The lawsuit, Pecover vs. Electronic Arts, was filed in July 2008 and claimed the NFL license not only allowed EA to raise game prices by 70%, but killed off the NFL 2K series, and any other football game based on US football based around real teams – forcing consumers to only purchase EA Sports video game products.

EA is setting aside $27 million for the suit.

Thanks, Kotaku.

jd1020 08-16-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 8823801)
That 19.99 argument is dumb. 2K did that for one reason and one reason only, to get their name out. They did it for ALL their sports games that year, and they never ever sold anything full game that cheap again. It worked, the problem is the NFL wanted to go exclusive like they do with ALL their licenses. Jerseys, helmets, you name it, its exclusive.

EA just had deeper pockets then 2K, and considering 2K sold a ****ton of assets a few years back thats sitting in the bank collecting interest, they have money to throw at the football license if the NFL doesnt extend it again.

Even if they didn't keep the 19.99 price there would still be competition to make a quality game at a competitive price. EA had to drop its retail price to 29.95 in 2005 but went right back up to 49.99 the next year after signing exclusive rights.

Personally I think the NFL should be banned from allowing exclusive deals when it comes to video games. It's not the same as uniforms for the teams in your league. It doesn't really benefit the league it just benefits the company holding the rights. The NFL takes a cut off of any sale of a product using their logo, names, blah blah blah. The company with the exclusive rights can sell it for whatever they want and take a cut off of everyone wanting a NFL game because there is no other company out there making one and they have no incentive to improve. They just sell the same shit from the previous year with new players.

lcarus 08-16-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8823854)
Even if they didn't keep the 19.99 price there would still be competition to make a quality game at a competitive price. EA had to drop its retail price to 29.95 in 2005 but went right back up to 49.99 the next year after signing exclusive rights.

Personally I think the NFL should be banned from allowing exclusive deals when it comes to video games. It's not the same as uniforms for the teams in your league. It doesn't really benefit the league it just benefits the company holding the rights. The NFL takes a cut off of any sale of a product using their logo, names, blah blah blah. The company with the exclusive rights can sell it for whatever they want and take a cut off of everyone wanting a NFL game because there is no other company out there making one and they have no incentive to improve. They just sell the same shit from the previous year with new players.

Whats funny is even when EA didn't have exclusive rights there were only a couple other companies that made NFL football games. It isnt like there were dozens of NFL games in 2005 then just one. There was basically Madden and 2K. Blitz wasnt even still around when EA got exclusive were they?

kcxiv 08-16-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8824228)
Whats funny is even when EA didn't have exclusive rights there were only a couple other companies that made NFL football games. It isnt like there were dozens of NFL games in 2005 then just one. There was basically Madden and 2K. Blitz wasnt even still around when EA got exclusive were they?

Well, both games were good, it went from that to just one and the ONE i enjoyed 100x more got the axe. Then the NEXT year was the transition to the next gen and well Madden has been craptastic since. The only one that hurts are the fan, EA or 2K. EA put little effort into improving the game. Putting in ****ing gimmicks that didnt work and took out the next year.

Oh well, i guess i get saved a few bucks a year by not buying a football game.

jd1020 08-16-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8824228)

That's pretty much the case with every sports game. I would imagine Sony would try to jump into the market.

There have been a couple of Blitz games released since the EA deal. Just shows how important those rights are to the market.

Dayze 08-17-2012 07:28 AM

I meant to download this last night; my buddy wasn't impressed and he and I agree on most games. Hmmm.

Aspengc8 08-17-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8823809)
if it's not a monopoly why did EA settle? Shouldn't a judge just throw it out if it's not a monopoly? Granted I haven't looked into this much, lol. But if you shell out the money, you can have a legal monopoly in America. Yankees are another example of that.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/21/ea-s...opoly-lawsuit/

EA settles Madden monopoly lawsuit

A class-action lawsuit claiming EA Sports’ exclusive on the NFL football license constitutes an illegal monopoly has been finalized.

What this means, is that consumers who purchased a Madden product from EA between 2005 and today on PS3, Wii or Xbox 360, they can get $1.95 back as part of the suit. If it’s a Madden game for GameCube, PS2, or Xbox, they can get $6.79.

The lawsuit also puts a five-year ban on an exclusive license between EA Sports and the NCAA once the current contract expires in 2014. The last NCAA football game released by a company other than EA was Sega’s College Football 2K3 10 years ago. EA can sign any non-exclusive deal with the NCAA after 2014.

EA Sports also can’t sign any exclusive licensing contracts with the Arena Football League for five years.

The lawsuit, Pecover vs. Electronic Arts, was filed in July 2008 and claimed the NFL license not only allowed EA to raise game prices by 70%, but killed off the NFL 2K series, and any other football game based on US football based around real teams – forcing consumers to only purchase EA Sports video game products.

EA is setting aside $27 million for the suit.

Thanks, Kotaku.

This is good news. All 2K has to do is update the graphics on APF2k8, and drop NFL rosters on it. Its mind boggling how EA's football games still don't play like the 2K games as far as momentum, animations and just a general football feel to it.

BryanBusby 08-17-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 8823702)
They can have a team in KC as long as it is something like, "the KC Cherokees" or something. I'm not sure if they could use the same NFL color schemes for each team tho.

Sounds like a pretty cool way to get sued.

jd1020 08-17-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8825140)
This is good news. All 2K has to do is update the graphics on APF2k8, and drop NFL rosters on it. Its mind boggling how EA's football games still don't play like the 2K games as far as momentum, animations and just a general football feel to it.

EA still holds exclusive rights to the NFL. Their settlement bans them from extending their exclusive deal with the NCAA. After 2014 there will be a 5 year window where a company could make a licensed NCAA football game. I doubt someone does it though because EA will still own the market.

Dayze 08-17-2012 08:39 AM

I can’t believe how bland Madden/NCAA/EA is. I mean, it’s not a ‘horrible’ game, but it’s certainly not good. I’d say average at best. The thing that irritates me is the price of the games. There changes year to year is so minimal, I’m not sure why they even bother putting out a game year to year.

The changes the ‘do’ make, are virtually all cosmetic, and they don’t fix the actual football part of the game.
It’s not Madden, but I’ve been playing NCAA for a month now as a few RTG players; mostly OLBs. It’s ridiculous.
If you place yourself where you’re supposed to be based on the play, you’ll never make a play. Seriously…never. I played an entire season this way – playing how the play is drawn up – and registered a whopping 6 tackles as a LB. They should take a page out of the NBA2K series where you get points for doing what you're supposed to in the given play. As it is, virtually all points are based on tackles.....which is hard to get unless you're free-lancing.
The only way you stand a chance is to assume the play is going away from you and line up based on your own football knowledge. The play calling is a joke; the same 10 plays over and over and over again. And reeruned situational play calling, such as a 3-4 when the offense has less than a yard to go for the endzone/goaline.

Since these are both made by EA, I’m nearly certain that Madden has a lot of the same issues.

Imon Yourside 08-17-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8825206)
I can’t believe how bland Madden/NCAA/EA is. I mean, it’s not a ‘horrible’ game, but it’s certainly not good. I’d say average at best. The thing that irritates me is the price of the games. There changes year to year is so minimal, I’m not sure why they even bother putting out a game year to year.

The changes the ‘do’ make, are virtually all cosmetic, and they don’t fix the actual football part of the game.
It’s not Madden, but I’ve been playing NCAA for a month now as a few RTG players; mostly OLBs. It’s ridiculous.
If you place yourself where you’re supposed to be based on the play, you’ll never make a play. Seriously…never. I played an entire season this way – playing how the play is drawn up – and registered a whopping 6 tackles as a LB.
The only way you stand a chance is to assume the play is going away from you and line up based on your own football knowledge. The play calling is a joke; the same 10 plays over and over and over again. And reeruned situational play calling, such as a 3-4 when the offense has less than a yard to go for the endzone/goaline.

Since these are both made by EA, I’m nearly certain that Madden has a lot of the same issues.

It's true to life, they employed Paul Hackett as the brains behind the playcalling!

lcarus 08-17-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8825206)

If you place yourself where you’re supposed to be based on the play, you’ll never make a play. Seriously…never. I played an entire season this way – playing how the play is drawn up – and registered a whopping 6 tackles as a LB. They should take a page out of the NBA2K series where you get points for doing what you're supposed to in the given play. As it is, virtually all points are based on tackles.....which is hard to get unless you're free-lancing.

At least this year there is a new engine. I can tell a difference. They made some minor tweaks that I like. I won't be able to truly grade the game until I can see franchise mode. So far, just based on the gameplay, its an improvement over years past.

Dayze 08-17-2012 09:34 AM

hmmm. Good to know. Didn't realize there was a new engine.

lcarus 08-17-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8825302)
hmmm. Good to know. Didn't realize there was a new engine.

Yeah they talked about it for a couple years it seems. I thought last year was supposed to have it, but it didn't. So I thought they were full of shit and would just keep the same engine for a long time. Luckily there's a new engine and I like it better than the previous one.

So far though, I kinda like NCAA 13 better, but I've only played the Madden demo. Once I start a franchise with the Chiefs, I'll be able to tell how much I like it. For the record, I NEVER like NCAA better.

Unsmooth-Moment 08-23-2012 10:18 PM

Just played the demo. I like the new feel of the gameplay.

Wallcrawler 08-24-2012 02:34 AM

Seems like same old Madden to me from the gameplay demo. I saw a couple new animations, and my ball carriers went a bit further after being hit, but I was still able to rape the CPU with the same plays Ive always been able to do it with.

They NEVER catch on to your bread and butter plays. You can still change every receiver's route within 1.5 seconds to literally destroy the defense that lines up in front of you.

They say there's 20 new trajectories for throwing the football, and there might be, but I didnt even need to use them while destroying the computer while playing as both the Giants and 49ers.

Not only that, but the few times I did actually have a challenge (albeit from cheap fumbles forced by the CPU in order to get the football back), I was still able to run up the score ridiculously within the final minutes of the game when the CPU is in full comeback playcalling. For instance, one game I was leading 16-6 with 2 minutes left, and the final score ended up being 34-6 because I took two picks back to the house doing nothing more than calling a dime cover 3 defense over and over and over.

Unless theyve done some massive, epic changes to franchise mode, Ill be skipping this one. Its just another year of Madden with a couple new bells and whistles.

Aspengc8 08-24-2012 09:12 AM

I'll have the season pass in a few hours and my buddy actually has the game already. He bought it off ebay for 70$ sent over night. He said he has played about 15 games so far and its more polished than the demo as far as the physics engine and stuff. Guys still do weird stuff like fall over each other after plays once or twice a game but runs a lot smoother. He's been using the Bill Walsh legendary playbook and said it fits KC good. Can't wait to play later.

MoreLemonPledge 08-24-2012 09:37 AM

The Kinect integration is pretty amazing. It might be the biggest single advance in the core gameplay in five years. There's nothing like yelling out audibles and hot routes. It's faster than the controller, too.

Bump 08-24-2012 10:40 AM

meh, first time I almost got a sack in the demo (and every time I almost get a sack) the QB still does that thing where as you are sacking him, he pops the ball up in the air about 3 feet away and it's just an incomplete pass.

It's one of the most frustrating, annoying things about Madden and it's still there.

This game is gonna suck just like all of the other madden's.

Black Bob 08-24-2012 10:52 AM

I finally broke down and got a PS3 and college football last weekend. Last year was the last time they made Madden for PS2. I am really enjoying the game. I started a dynasty with Arkansas and made Marty Schottenheimer my coach LOL. I just made him up. All of the extra recruiting and stuff is really cool. I think the game looks great but I am not sure it plays as well as the PS2 versions did. I feel the same way about Madden. I played last year's with a friend. It was really hard to get off a play action pass for example. The play calling and everything is cool. maybe it just takes some getting used to?

The thing that really blew me about NCAA away is the flow of the game. For example, I got an interception and there was no pause in the game. The screen just quickly jumped the cornerback and I was already in second gear. That's pretty cool and it must have a helluva engine.

lcarus 08-24-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8847438)
meh, first time I almost got a sack in the demo (and every time I almost get a sack) the QB still does that thing where as you are sacking him, he pops the ball up in the air about 3 feet away and it's just an incomplete pass.

It's one of the most frustrating, annoying things about Madden and it's still there.

This game is gonna suck just like all of the other madden's.

I hate that shit. I also hate how you can never get fumbles off sacks. I played a game where I had like 9 sacks and no fumbles. I can't get my guys to try to strip the QB, even when I always press the strip button.

Mr. Arrowhead 08-24-2012 12:45 PM

Toys R US is selling this game for $44.99 if you pre order it online with free shipping

jd1020 08-24-2012 12:51 PM

Anyone challenge a call yet?

No matter how white the grass the player is standing on when he catches the ball DO NOT CHALLENGE THE PLAY!

Maybe its been too long since I've played Madden and I'm too stupid to realize that the computer always calls those plays "correctly" but I've seen catches where the ball was going to land OB and the guy catches it but his whole foot is OB ruled a catch. If you see green grass kick up on the replay, even if it should be white, you know you are ****ed.

Wallcrawler 08-24-2012 01:41 PM

Its really sad that a PS2/XBOX title from nearly eight years ago still has more features, and better gameplay than the latest edition of Madden.

ESPN 2k football would be blowing our minds right now had EA not cornered the license.

When you challenged in ESPN, the game pulled up a laundry list of every conceivable thing you could possibly challenge to choose from.

It had penalties that Madden has yet to even TRY to implement. Illegal Contact, Defensive Holding, Illegal touching of the pass, ineligible receiver downfield, the list goes on.

Defensive coverage was amazing, and I could post hundreds of videos that compare the defensive gameplay to that of Madden and show how it doesnt even compare.

While not without its flaws and bugs, ESPN 2K5 is still a better football game than Madden 12, and the current demo of Madden 13.

If there was a way to get the current roster onto my 2K5 game with updated commentary, that would be the game I would be playing this season.

Javabean 08-24-2012 01:49 PM

The superstar mode in 2K5 was really good, too.

lcarus 08-24-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 8847920)
Its really sad that a PS2/XBOX title from nearly eight years ago still has more features, and better gameplay than the latest edition of Madden.

ESPN 2k football would be blowing our minds right now had EA not cornered the license.

When you challenged in ESPN, the game pulled up a laundry list of every conceivable thing you could possibly challenge to choose from.

It had penalties that Madden has yet to even TRY to implement. Illegal Contact, Defensive Holding, Illegal touching of the pass, ineligible receiver downfield, the list goes on.

Defensive coverage was amazing, and I could post hundreds of videos that compare the defensive gameplay to that of Madden and show how it doesnt even compare.

While not without its flaws and bugs, ESPN 2K5 is still a better football game than Madden 12, and the current demo of Madden 13.

If there was a way to get the current roster onto my 2K5 game with updated commentary, that would be the game I would be playing this season.

No doubt 2K would likely be making amazing football games now, but I don't think 2K5 was that great. I liked Madden 2005 better. It's still a shame they can't make them now. NBA 2K12 is the best sports game I've ever played. If they made NFL 2K12 and it was anything like their bball game, Madden could suck it.

GordonGekko 08-24-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 8847920)

This, definitely this.

But even is 2k could launch another NFL game, the team that made 2k5 and previous versions have all moved on to other things. 2k5 was a truly special title. If they could graphically overhaul it, it would 'smoke' Madden.

kcxiv 08-24-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 8848174)
This, definitely this.

But even is 2k could launch another NFL game, the team that made 2k5 and previous versions have all moved on to other things. 2k5 was a truly special title. If they could graphically overhaul it, it would 'smoke' Madden.

As of last year when i was in the know, most of the core programmers from their football games still work at Visual Concepts. At least from what i used to know, im not into 2K like i used to be. I mean i still have my contacts, but i dont talk to them much anymore. Im sure i could find out something if i tried.

Anyways, if they are allowed to make a new NFL game, you best believe them guys will be RIGHT back on it. The 2K studio that hosts Visual concepts, is a pretty big building and also has 2K Marin. There's alot of people in that damn building from what i know.

I guess people really enjoy working there. Mike Wang from the Basketball team left them to head over to EA to work on their basketball game and after a year, said **** this, and went back to 2K. lol They welcomed him with open arms and he's now back at his old high level job.

Kyle DeLexus 08-24-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead (Post 8847768)
Toys R US is selling this game for $44.99 if you pre order it online with free shipping

this is where I preordered from. normally I'd go to Walmart and get it on release night and take the toysrus one back to Walmart but I got burned doing that with red dead redemption.

Wallcrawler 08-24-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8847979)
No doubt 2K would likely be making amazing football games now, but I don't think 2K5 was that great. I liked Madden 2005 better. It's still a shame they can't make them now. NBA 2K12 is the best sports game I've ever played. If they made NFL 2K12 and it was anything like their bball game, Madden could suck it.

I had a couple friends that liked Madden 05 also, ESPN wasnt for everyone, but at a 19.99 pricepoint brand new, that value was unbeatable. EA knew their shit was about to get pushed in, and made the move on the license.

Unsmooth-Moment 08-24-2012 09:24 PM

At least with Madden you can draft franchise QB's.

jd1020 08-24-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsmooth-Moment (Post 8850446)
At least with Madden you can draft franchise QB's.

Cassel can be a franchise QB in Madden. It's a game.

KCrockaholic 08-24-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle DeLexus (Post 8848397)
this is where I preordered from. normally I'd go to Walmart and get it on release night and take the toysrus one back to Walmart but I got burned doing that with red dead redemption.

How so?

Unsmooth-Moment 08-24-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8850455)
Cassel can be a franchise QB in Madden. It's a game.

Hasn't it always been just a game?

WhitiE 08-25-2012 11:01 AM

Not really impressed. It's different but I don't like some of the changes. What's with the side view on kickoffs? And why does the play book look like crap?

Bump 08-25-2012 12:21 PM

this looks like it's geared up to be the worst Madden to date.

It's just so depressing, I used to really enjoy playing franchise.

Kyle DeLexus 08-25-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 8850490)
How so?

Red Dead had different UPC codes for different stores so Walmart didn't have the pre-ordered Amazon game in their system.

Gonzo 08-25-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8851625)
this looks like it's geared up to be the worst Madden to date.

It's just so depressing, I used to really enjoy playing franchise.

How you figure?
Everything I've read suggests just the opposite.

Bump 08-25-2012 06:29 PM

OKAY

I did it! Don't ask me why, I think I was being so negative so I could go in like a movie you think is gonna be shitty and then you are like, hey that wasn't that bad.

But downloading now, I had extra M$ points to burn so I was like **** it. May as well get early acccess, lol

the demo actually wasn't that bad, I noticed some improvements

Bump 08-25-2012 06:35 PM

Okay, is there a chiefsplanet online connected careers thing or a franchise?

I want in! I'll be your most active member

Urc Burry 08-25-2012 07:46 PM

Same game different year. Pisses me off.

Why can't they fix the simple shit? The difference between all pro and all madden is stupid. And I know it's pretty pointless but is it that hard to add in the visible mouth pieces? If I remember right they had them in like madden 03

royr17 08-25-2012 11:58 PM

Will be buying this when it releases on the 28th everybody thats played it so far how is it ?

How's the chiefs team on there ?

Bump 08-26-2012 12:44 AM

I just played 1 career game as the Chiefs and started Stanzi, he did well. I'm only on All Pro btw. But JC did ok, a couple of decent runs. On defense, Tamba falls on his ass most of the time and Berry is a stud.

I also played an online game as the Packers vs the Eagles and won with a last second comeback drive to score a TD when I was down by 3. Felt good to win one.

I'm still pretty rusty, but I can tell this Madden is better than any other this gen. The blocking on the online game was putrid for both sides. We both couldn't run, he did get one big run with McCoy though and the pass blocking was pretty shady, lots of insta sacks and the lag was pretty bad too.

The Bad Guy 08-26-2012 01:09 AM

Bump, how'd you get the game early?

KCrockaholic 08-26-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8852452)
Okay, is there a chiefsplanet online connected careers thing or a franchise?

I want in! I'll be your most active member

I'd be all in. But I have PS3.

ZootedGranny 08-26-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8853273)

3 ways:

For $25 you can buy EA Season Ticket that allows you to download EA Sports titles 3 days prior to release, as well as get discounts on DLC. The download does deactivate after the retail release date.

Mom and Pop store breaking the street date.

Download a pirated version.

Unsmooth-Moment 08-26-2012 03:35 AM

I'm curious about the EaSports Season Ticket thing, but sounds like it cost a bit too much. I'll probably just go rent ncaa for a day or two and wait it out until Tuesday.

Bump 08-26-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8853273)

I grabbed the season ticket for 2000 M$ points. I know I know, but I've had all these points sitting there for over a year. I figured may as well get the early access and play the shit out of it until tuesday, if I hate it, I won't buy it, if I like it, which I am liking it, I'll buy it.

lcarus 08-26-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8853261)
I just played 1 career game as the Chiefs and started Stanzi, he did well. I'm only on All Pro btw. But JC did ok, a couple of decent runs. On defense, Tamba falls on his ass most of the time and Berry is a stud.

I also played an online game as the Packers vs the Eagles and won with a last second comeback drive to score a TD when I was down by 3. Felt good to win one.

I'm still pretty rusty, but I can tell this Madden is better than any other this gen. The blocking on the online game was putrid for both sides. We both couldn't run, he did get one big run with McCoy though and the pass blocking was pretty shady, lots of insta sacks and the lag was pretty bad too.

I play on All Pro too. I used to play on All Madden and tear shit up, but the last few years All Madden is just insanely cheap. I need to get some good sliders because All Madden is too ridiculous, and All Pro gets to be too easy after a while. Maybe AM will be better this year?

I see you went ahead and plugged Stanzi in there too lol. Last year I played the first Chiefs season with Cassel because in the game he isn't bad. Good enough until I get to the draft and grab a QB (Pioli should take notes haha).

Kidd Lex 08-26-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8854415)
I play on All Pro too. I used to play on All Madden and tear shit up, but the last few years All Madden is just insanely cheap. I need to get some good sliders because All Madden is too ridiculous, and All Pro gets to be too easy after a while. Maybe AM will be better this year?

I see you went ahead and plugged Stanzi in there too lol. Last year I played the first Chiefs season with Cassel because in the game he isn't bad. Good enough until I get to the draft and grab a QB (Pioli should take notes haha).

Im struggling to find appropriate sliders. As you said its too easy on ap and too cheesy on am.

****ing EA can suck a dick.

Pasta Little Brioni 08-26-2012 05:22 PM

Had a few good seasons on All Madden mode with last year's game. Found a few decent slider sets on Operation Sports. Let someone else do the work without having to play eleventy billion games. Madden's always been tolerable to me with the right slider set. Too bad franchise mode was complete piece of shit.

Bump 08-26-2012 08:57 PM

well I'm not getting this game. At least not for now, maybe later when I can get it for $30. But I decided to splurge and get Windows 7 so that I could play Guild Wars 2. But I would have continued to buy Madden otherwise.

But I played another online game, damn it's hard to play defense. I was Patriots vs Ravens, it was 47-45. I was down by 2 with 30 seconds left and kicked a field goal and that gave him plenty of time to drive 50 yards in 2 plays to kick a field goal to beat me.

defense is pretty hard online, it seems. But I am a noob I guess.

just pass defense. Nobody can run for shit.