ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones (spoiler-free zone) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244344)

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8526736)
Political machinations of Deadwood (lots of Swearingen types) with the family based loyalties of Sopranos all set in a low-fantasy medieval realm.

I've never seen Deadwood. I've planned to for a while, though.

NewChief 04-08-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526737)

You're in for a treat with either series. Just watch the first episode of Game of Thrones. After you've watched it and you're going :eek: at the end, know that you're just starting to scrape the tip of the iceberg.

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8526740)
You're in for a treat with either series. Just watch the first episode of Game of Thrones. After you've watched it and you're going :eek: at the end, know that you're just starting to scrape the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, I'm already caught up in GoT. It's awesome and I plan to read the books when I can. But I might go for Deadwood next if I find the time.

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526737)

Same here. But like Icarus... I have season one.

petegz28 04-08-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526659)
I'm rooting for Jon Snow. Although Tyrion is the most interesting character on the show.

Tyrion is one of the most interesting characters in all the books

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:24 PM

What's different about GoT compared to most other shows is that there are just so many fascinating characters (and so many narratives that they are involved in). It reminds me a bit of The Wire in that way, but there are perhaps even more in this world.

No scene is also ever a throwaway...everything matters. It never gets boring because of that. The writing, direction, and locations are also fantastic, you can tell the producers put a lot of effort into it.

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526771)
What's different about GoT compared to most other shows is that there are just so many fascinating characters (and so many narratives that they are involved in). It reminds me a bit of The Wire in that way, but there are perhaps even more in this world.

No scene is also ever a throwaway...everything matters. It never gets boring because of that. The writing, direction, and locations are also fantastic, you can tell the producers put a lot of effort into it.

They really have done a fantastic job with it. Amazing casting, directing, writing, and acting.

It's the only "Event TV" for me right now.

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8526784)
They really have done a fantastic job with it. Amazing casting, directing, writing, and acting.

It's the only "Event TV" for me right now.

Yes, the acting is notably good too. They picked some proven ones, but the child actors, particularly the kid who plays the eminently hateable Joffrey, do a great job (which you rarely see on television). Of course, I don't know how closely they are to how they seem in the book, though.

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526796)
Yes, the acting is notably good too. They picked some proven ones, but the child actors, particularly the kid who plays the eminently hateable Joffrey, do a great job (which you rarely see on television). Of course, I don't know how closely they are to how they seem in the book, though.

I've read them. The young actors are perfect, IMO. Doing an amazing job.

That's rare. Young Anakin, for example.

KC_Connection 04-08-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8526803)
I've read them. The young actors are perfect, IMO. Doing an amazing job.

That's rare. Young Anakin, for example.

Yeah, that was awful. Or the kid that plays Carl in The Walking Dead (which stands out most recently in my mind).

KcMizzou 04-08-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8526811)
Yeah, that was awful. Or the kid that plays Carl in The Walking Dead (which stands out most recently in my mind).

Ugh... exactly.

lcarus 04-08-2012 09:33 PM

I saw the very beginning of the very first episode of Deadwood. Seemed kinda boring. Incredibly small sample size though. I'll give it a chance.

Baby Lee 04-08-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 8526606)
I'm rooting for the midget dude.

Read somewhere from someone in the media who's seen the screeners that they're going to have to come up with something BIGGER than an Emmy for Dinklage this year.

JIMP

Baby Lee 04-08-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 8526708)
I don't wanna read any of this thread in case it spoils something, but I have season 1 and am contemplating watching it tonight. How good is it? Like on a scale of 1-10? What would you compare it to?

If fantasy puts you off, don't be in this case. It is a fantasy setting, with long past magic and dragons simmering the 'background,' but it is essentially a saga of human nature. It's all about how personalities and personal creeds, ethos, ambitions and appetites seal fates.

The appeal of GoT/SoIaF is investing in people who think like you, or appeal to your better angels, and anguishing through their setbacks or applauding their accomplishments.

Soapish? Maybe. But GRRM has crafted characters so intricate and intimate that you get utterly swept up.

Baby Lee 04-08-2012 09:59 PM

For all those with Deadwood 'in queue' without having seen it, I am . . . jealous.

I would love nothing more than the opportunity to see Deadwood for the first time again.

There were a couple of scenes towards the end of season one, where I whooped and hollered like I hadn't since Montana/Horseface '94.

Milch, with Deadwood, is modern day Shakespeare.