ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Slimmed-down Chiefs safety Eric Berry starred in 2015, setting up next payday Read m (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=298515)

O.city 02-27-2016 04:40 PM

Slimmed-down Chiefs safety Eric Berry starred in 2015, setting up next payday Read m

Terez A. Paylor ‏@TerezPaylor 5m5 minutes ago Indianapolis, IN

Slimmed-down #Chiefs safety Eric Berry starred in 2015, setting up next payday: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...#storylink=cpy

So, kind of puts to rest the box safety only talk and whether he's worth it, if you follow Louis Riddick.

BigChiefFan 02-27-2016 05:34 PM

Does these players not understand that if they don't sign before FA, it hurts our chances to improve the team? Berry is a great player, but $12 million a year for him is crazy.

beach tribe 02-27-2016 05:41 PM

The fact that there are people on this board who would part ways with Berry says volumes about your average football fan.

Shaid 02-27-2016 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 12102887)
The fact that there are people on this board who would part ways with Berry says volumes about your average football fan.

Smart people would part with any player if the price isn't right. The only position you substantially overpay for is QB. That said, I have no idea on Berry's market value.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 02-27-2016 06:18 PM

We are better off spending that money on a versatile linebacker like Irvin and the leftover to put towards Howard.

Berry is money driven and complicating things going into the draft. If we tag him and he throws a fit I wonder what people's opinion on here will be...

SAUTO 02-27-2016 06:19 PM

Like Houston, right Bob?

O.city 02-27-2016 06:49 PM

All around LB like Irvin? Really?

kccrow 02-27-2016 06:51 PM

Eric Berry is worth money, but he isn't as good as Earl Thomas. Why should he get a much bigger contract? Doesn't compute. I wouldn't do it. He's about on par with Devin McCourty. If he doesn't sign for something between those two players, let him walk.

The Franchise 02-27-2016 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12102943)
We are better off spending that money on a versatile linebacker like Irvin and the leftover to put towards Howard.

Berry is money driven and complicating things going into the draft. If we tag him and he throws a fit I wonder what people's opinion on here will be...

Irvin is versatile? You mouth breathing reerun.

O.city 02-27-2016 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 12102976)
Eric Berry is worth money, but he isn't as good as Earl Thomas. Why should he get a much bigger contract? Doesn't compute. I wouldn't do it. He's about on par with Devin McCourty. If he doesn't sign for something between those two players, let him walk.

Berry just came off his best season as a pro, in which he slimmed down and went from being an in the box safety to a deep safety.

It's all in the article.

His first year in said position, he was an all pro and with more time and reps in that position, is likely to improve.

milkman 02-27-2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 12102976)

I can't agree.

Berry is more versatile and physical, which really hurt his production as a pass defender because Crennell and Sutton were lining him up in the box.

There's no way that Thomas would have produced at the level he has with Seattle in Kansas City, and he could not have played Berry's role in this defense.

Berry, on the other hand, almost certainly would have matched, if not exceeded, Thomas' production in Seattle.

kccrow 02-27-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12102979)
Berry just came off his best season as a pro, in which he slimmed down and went from being an in the box safety to a deep safety.

It's all in the article.

His first year in said position, he was an all pro and with more time and reps in that position, is likely to improve.

Don't care, he isn't worth more than 10 million per. No safety in my mind is worth that kind of money. The top safety in the NFL makes 10 million per. The 2nd best makes 9.5 million per. Berry is close to #2, but he isn't #1. That and safeties of late are vastly overrated compared to in the past. I've seen far better than any of these guys play so call me unimpressed.

The Chiefs secondary wasn't worse without him. I'd much rather the Chiefs re-sign Smith and Branch if Berry is going to cost anything more than 10 million per. I've been expecting 9.6 for Berry. That's based on expectation that the Chiefs will re-sign him.

If I were the GM, I'd tag him and trade him to the highest bidder. Teams just don't need to lock up that kind of money in a safety. I'd rather roll with Branch at SS and sign Quddus away from Detroit to be the nickle defender.

The Franchise 02-27-2016 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 12102983)
I can't agree.

Berry is more versatile and physical, which really hurt his production as a pass defender because Crennell and Sutton were lining him up in the box.

There's no way that Thomas would have produced at the level he has with Seattle in Kansas City, and he could not have played Berry's role in this defense.

Berry, on the other hand, almost certainly would have matched, if not exceeded, Thomas' production in Seattle.

All of this.

kccrow 02-27-2016 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 12102983)
I can't agree.

When Berry becomes a play-maker, I'll agree with you. At this point, he's a good tackler on the back end. Maybe if he were playing FS full-time it would help some, but Berry hasn't shown the knack for making many big plays thus far. He's solid, I wont' disagree. He's not a guy I'm putting 12 million per on the line for though.

O.city 02-27-2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 12102984)
Don't care, he isn't worth more than 10 million per. No safety in my mind is worth that kind of money. The top safety in the NFL makes 10 million per. The 2nd best makes 9.5 million per. Berry is close to #2, but he isn't #1. That and safeties of late are vastly overrated compared to in the past. I've seen far better than any of these guys play so call me unimpressed.

The Chiefs secondary wasn't worse without him. I'd much rather the Chiefs re-sign Smith and Branch if Berry is going to cost anything more than 10 million per. I've been expecting 9.6 for Berry. That's based on expectation that the Chiefs will re-sign him.

If I were the GM, I'd tag him and trade him to the highest bidder. Teams just don't need to lock up that kind of money in a safety. I'd rather roll with Branch at SS and sign Quddus away from Detroit to be the nickle defender.

The secondary wasn't worse without him? How do you figure that?

Again, Berry is still an ascending player at a new position, one in which everyone here has wanted the chiefs to put in him which will and does allow him to be more of a game changing player.

I don't understand the fascination around here to get rid of/not resign the best drafted and developed players. It was the same thing with Houston.