ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life The Crud (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268611)

luv 01-08-2013 09:09 AM

The Crud

I'm on round two. I never get sick this much! Missed work today, but, thankfully, my doc can fit me in this afternoon. I've got derby practice starting tonight. First bout is in a month. I cannot be sick!

Misery loves company. Anyone else sharing in my misery?

Renegade 01-08-2013 09:21 AM

Cheer up, it could always be worse

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268142

KurtCobain 01-08-2013 09:23 AM

Round one hospitalized me. Cost me out the ass. Round two could do me in, so no thank you.

luv 01-08-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 9295831)

Ha! I didn't even think to look. I figured only I would start something like this. My bad.

frankotank 01-08-2013 09:26 AM

so I'm curious....did you get a flu shot this year? I know it isn't a full proof preventative, but just wondering. my wife nagged me into getting one. taking a multi vitamin and a vitamin C every day. I get sick if someone looks at me the wrong way....but so far so good!

Imon Yourside 01-08-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9295814)
I'm on round two. I never get sick this much! Missed work today, but, thankfully, my doc can fit me in this afternoon. I've got derby practice starting tonight. First bout is in a month. I cannot be sick!

Misery loves company. Anyone else sharing in my misery?

My wife is halfway around the world and has a chest infection, probably more miserable in her 70 degree climate than she would here in the 30's.

KurtCobain 01-08-2013 09:27 AM

I couldn't even go in the sneeze/sharting thread. I like this one better.

luv 01-08-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9295840)
so I'm curious....did you get a flu shot this year? I know it isn't a full proof preventative, but just wondering. my wife nagged me into getting one. taking a multi vitamin and a vitamin C every day. I get sick if someone looks at me the wrong way....but so far so good!

I usually do, but I haven't the last couple of years.

frankotank 01-08-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9295850)
I usually do, but I haven't the last couple of years.

interestingly enough, the last few years I've blown thru several sick days in the first weeks of January. got a flu shot in December and so for so good.
coincidence? maybe.

J Diddy 01-08-2013 09:34 AM

First my kid got some funk and then I did. About done with my antibiotics and starting to feel better, just in time to start classes again.

This ****ing winter break sucked big balls.

crossbow 01-08-2013 09:40 AM

Slam down at least a quart of grape juice, lay flat on your back and pee as much as you can (yeah, you have to get up for this part). Something in the grapes is a killer antioxidant. Laying flat helps get the juice into your kidneys and pissing flushes the germs out.

phisherman 01-08-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9295840)

Flu shots are a money grab. I'm not going to go all anti-vax wingnut here, but honestly, flu shots protect you from very few of the various flu strains and their protection against those is moderate at best.

Exercise, wash your hands regularly, and eat right and your chances of avoiding the flu are pretty comparable.

alnorth 01-08-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 9295878)
Flu shots are a money grab. I'm not going to go all anti-vax wingnut here, but honestly, flu shots protect you from very few of the various flu strains and their protection against those is moderate at best.

Exercise, wash your hands regularly, and eat right and your chances of avoiding the flu are pretty comparable.

Many people don't have to pay for the flu shot. I got mine for free at work.

For those who do, you are talking about a few measley little bucks. The flu is such a terrible inconvenience, its worth it.

ChiTown 01-08-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9295914)
Many people don't have to pay for the flu shot. I got mine for free at work.

For those who do, you are talking about a few measley little bucks. The flu is such a terrible inconvenience, its worth it.

I've never had a flu shot. I'm not sure why I haven't taken the time to do it, other than I generally don't get sick.

alnorth 01-08-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9295917)
I've never had a flu shot. I'm not sure why I haven't taken the time to do it, other than I generally don't get sick.

Generally, if you don't get a flu shot, you can expect to get the flu maybe once every 5 or 6 years. Maybe as seldom as 8. So, 4 or 5 times out of 6 years, its a complete waste. (Then of course, for those years when you may be exposed to the flu and it could help, sometimes they guess wrong on which flu to immunize against that year)

So really, getting flu shots may only prevent the flu once a decade or so. Since the flu shot is so cheap, and the flu is so awful (the real flu, not a cold, a lot of people get a cold and think "the flu isn't so bad"), its still worth it.

Just because you don't get sick often doesn't mean you have some magical super-protection against the flu, unless your immune system is shot, you aren't supposed to get sick very often.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 01-08-2013 10:23 AM

I don't think I've ever had the flu. I am all that is man

luv 01-08-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9295943)
Generally, if you don't get a flu shot, you can expect to get the flu maybe once every 5 or 6 years. Maybe as seldom as 8. So, 4 or 5 times out of 6 years, its a complete waste. (Then of course, for those years when you may be exposed to the flu and it could help, sometimes they guess wrong on which flu to immunize against that year)

So really, getting flu shots may only prevent the flu once a decade or so. Since the flu shot is so cheap, and the flu is so awful (the real flu, not a cold, a lot of people get a cold and think "the flu isn't so bad"), its still worth it.

Just because you don't get sick often doesn't mean you have some magical super-protection against the flu, unless your immune system is shot, you aren't supposed to get sick very often.

I don't think I have the flu. I'm not chilling and don't really have any aches. This time, it's a deep, croupy cough. Started having a slightly runny nose this morning. And just a slight headache. I was running a slight ever when I woke up, but I think that has subsided. I'm making sure to get in to see the doctor this time. I had this late November/early December, only my throat didn't get this sore, and it was more in my head. This time, I can feel the heaviness in the top of my chest, and coughing hurts.

Graystoke 01-08-2013 10:42 AM

This crap/crud is all around at work here. ACHES but not the flu. Just Crud...sorta like 2012 Chiefs

BigOlChiefsfan 01-08-2013 10:55 AM

Metabolism boosting dinners

strengthen your immune system

natural cold remedies I know, colds are not the flu - but the info on building up the immune system is worth having. Eat more home made sauerkraut, kimchee, yogurt, kefir and so on. Get those bugs to working for you instead of against you.

bevischief 01-08-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9295854)
interestingly enough, the last few years I've blown thru several sick days in the first weeks of January. got a flu shot in December and so for so good.
coincidence? maybe.

Go watch "The Explosion Of Autoimmune Viruses" by Dr Trent On youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8FCJ...ayer_embedded#!

frankotank 01-08-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan (Post 9296030)

"Malnutrition impairs immune function. French fries, soft drinks and bourbon don’t build strong white blood cells either."

Welp....I'm ****ed.....

ptlyon 01-08-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9296229)
"Malnutrition impairs immune function. French fries, soft drinks and bourbon don’t build strong white blood cells either."

Welp....I'm ****ed.....

Don't believe everything you read on the internet!!!

Mr. Laz 01-08-2013 12:23 PM

stuff seems to be long lasting this winter ... weeks instead of days.

:(

Carlota69 01-08-2013 12:25 PM

Everyone around me has the crud or is getting over it. Im 3 days in with a weird sore throat, mild feverishness here and there, chills, but not alot and now some congestion in my sinuses. Im drowning in ginger tea, emergen c and airnborne! This will be the 2nd time Ive rescheduled my knee surgery due to illness. BLOWS!!!!

listopencil 01-08-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9296229)

Welp....I'm ****ed.....

I am going to operate under the following assumptions:

1) Tequila is a disinfectant

2) If I drink too much of it I could die

3) If I drink enough to kill the germs, but not enough to kill me, I win

4) If the germs can survive more tequila than I can, I'm kind of ****ed anyway and I will probably need medical attention regardless of what I do

luv 01-08-2013 12:36 PM

I'm feeling progressively worse as the day continues. I don't want to take anything until after I see the doctor though. :( [/whiny misery]

Fire Me Boy! 01-08-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9295987)
I don't think I have the flu. I'm not chilling and don't really have any aches. This time, it's a deep, croupy cough. Started having a slightly runny nose this morning. And just a slight headache. I was running a slight ever when I woke up, but I think that has subsided. I'm making sure to get in to see the doctor this time. I had this late November/early December, only my throat didn't get this sore, and it was more in my head. This time, I can feel the heaviness in the top of my chest, and coughing hurts.

Sounds like bronchitis. Antibiotics will clear you right up.

frankotank 01-08-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9296284)
I am going to operate under the following assumptions:

1) Tequila is a disinfectant

2) If I drink too much of it I could die

3) If I drink enough to kill the germs, but not enough to kill me, I win

4) If the germs can survive more tequila than I can, I'm kind of ****ed anyway and I will probably need medical attention regardless of what I do

holy crap! I think you're onto something here! :thumb:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...9PUKL54nH2mTM4

Phobia 01-08-2013 03:50 PM

You do not have practice tonight. Your teammates will thank you not to bring that crap to them.

Brock 01-08-2013 03:54 PM

You could have pneumonia, for chrissake. Go to the doctor.

Imon Yourside 01-09-2013 09:04 AM

Any updates?

tomahawk kid 01-09-2013 09:13 AM

Had to take the wife to the ER last night with severe flu symptoms.

We're both just getting over the chest infection / cough stuff.

Brutal.

luv 01-14-2013 12:01 PM

1/8 - Stay home from work to get into doctor's office; get prescription for cough syrup with codeine filled; get progressively worse as the night goes on

1/9 - Have mom go get another script for an antibiotic filled; spend the day in and out of consciousness feeling lousy

1/10 - Wake up with fever of 101.5; spend morning breaking fever; get fever back at 5pm; finally break fever at 2am following morning

1/11 - Spend the morning laundry done, washing sheets, blankets, etc; spray basement down with Lysol; spend evening with headache and watching movies

1/12 - Get out for the first time since 1/8 to go to grocery store; get worn out from running errand and spend afternoon and evening watching football, movies, and Firefly episodes

1/13 - Spend day actually eating again, watching football, movies, and more tv shows; go to sleep laying down in my bed for the first time since the night of 1/7

1/14 - Still have the cough, and still have the worn out feeling, but return to work.

Talk about a lousy week! Hope it's gone for good this time.

okoye35chiefs 01-14-2013 12:06 PM

just got over chest infection and the flu..

never had a flu shot and until this year never had the flu..

i can only agree now that it is the worse thing ever!

no, I won't get a flu shot next year...

Bump 01-14-2013 12:18 PM

I'm avoiding the public until this shit is under control.

Imon Yourside 01-14-2013 12:39 PM

Thanks for the updates, The wife is returning from halfway around the world tonight. Should have already been here if not for a big **** YOU to United Airlines. She is feeling much better after traveling for going on 51 hours now. She has had maybe 6 hours sleep total in the time period so I guess we won't be playing tonight.

luv 01-14-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9317220)
just got over chest infection and the flu..

never had a flu shot and until this year never had the flu..

i can only agree now that it is the worse thing ever!

no, I won't get a flu shot next year...

I've gotten the flu every year up until last year. Been sick twice this year. I'm getting it again next year.

loochy 01-14-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9317204)
1/8 - Stay home from work to get into doctor's office; get prescription for cough syrup with codeine filled; get progressively worse as the night goes on

1/9 - Have mom go get another script for an antibiotic filled; spend the day in and out of consciousness feeling lousy

1/10 - Wake up with fever of 101.5; spend morning breaking fever; get fever back at 5pm; finally break fever at 2am following morning

1/11 - Spend the morning laundry done, washing sheets, blankets, etc; spray basement down with Lysol; spend evening with headache and watching movies

1/12 - Get out for the first time since 1/8 to go to grocery store; get worn out from running errand and spend afternoon and evening watching football, movies, and Firefly episodes

1/13 - Spend day actually eating again, watching football, movies, and more tv shows; go to sleep laying down in my bed for the first time since the night of 1/7

1/14 - Still have the cough, and still have the worn out feeling, but return to work.

Talk about a lousy week! Hope it's gone for good this time.

Why?

luv 01-14-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9317454)
Why?

Because I felt like shit. Doctor gave me a script to have just in case. She said if I wasn't better in a couple of days to go ahead and get it filled. I got it filled a day early.

Or are you asking why I sent my mom? That would be because I was hardly able to walk upstairs, let alone make it to a pharmacy.

ptlyon 01-14-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9317317)
Thanks for the updates, The wife is returning from halfway around the world tonight. Should have already been here if not for a big **** YOU to United Airlines. She is feeling much better after traveling for going on 51 hours now. She has had maybe 6 hours sleep total in the time period so I guess we won't be playing tonight.

No clowning around tonite?

Imon Yourside 01-14-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9317487)
No clowning around tonite?

I wouldn't dare put the misses through that after her last 50+ hours. I will have to watch the KU game alone I guess, there are worse fates to suffer. ;)

loochy 01-14-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9317485)
Because I felt like shit. Doctor gave me a script to have just in case. She said if I wasn't better in a couple of days to go ahead and get it filled. I got it filled a day early.

Or are you asking why I sent my mom? That would be because I was hardly able to walk upstairs, let alone make it to a pharmacy.

No, I was asking about the doctor. I wouldn't think there's anything a doctor could do. They'll just tell you to rest and they'll give you a script for antibiotics (for a virus) to make you feel like it was worth a trip.

luv 01-14-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9317499)
No, I was asking about the doctor. I wouldn't think there's anything a doctor could do. They'll just tell you to rest and they'll give you a script for antibiotics (for a virus) to make you feel like it was worth a trip.

She gave me a cough syrup with codeine for the trip. She heard me cough, and thought there was a slight chance it might not be viral, hence the antibiotics. I wasn't going to worry about them until I started feeling worse. She also prescribed an inhaler, but insurance didn't cover much of the cost, so I never got it.

Imon Yourside 01-14-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9317507)
She gave me a cough syrup with codeine for the trip. She heard me cough, and thought there was a slight chance it might not be viral, hence the antibiotics. I wasn't going to worry about them until I started feeling worse. She also prescribed an inhaler, but insurance didn't cover much of the cost, so I never got it.

Do you by chance have Asthma?

luv 01-14-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9317511)
Do you by chance have Asthma?

Nope.

Pitt Gorilla 01-14-2013 02:13 PM

I don't get ill. I imagine that the flu shot helps.

loochy 01-14-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9317610)

YOU WILL DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH AND YOU WILL BE AUTISTIC BECAUSE YOU GOT A FLU SHOT

Hog's Gone Fishin 01-14-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9295867)
Slam down at least a quart of grape juice, lay flat on your back and pee as much as you can (yeah, you have to get up for this part). Something in the grapes is a killer antioxidant. Laying flat helps get the juice into your kidneys and pissing flushes the germs out.

ROFL You know she'll be mixin the Juice with Vodka. Then she'll start some stuped thread that she has a hangover.

scho63 01-14-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9317610)

I don't get ill. I imagine that the vodka shots help.

Carlota69 01-25-2013 02:30 PM

So I have had the 'crud" for over a month now. On and off. Ill have it, then feel fine, then it comes back. Anyone else having this problem? And of course its just enough to get in the way, but not knock me out. People at my work are having the problem as well. And for good measure, It has officially postponed my knee surgery once again.:shake:

CrazyPhuD 01-25-2013 02:37 PM

The crud is caused by too much blood in your alcohol stream. If you're feeling sick drink more.

Beer nature's body disinfectant!

Carlota69 01-25-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9350797)
The crud is caused by too much blood in your alcohol stream. If you're feeling sick drink more.

Beer nature's body disinfectant!

Thats funny because I wasnt drinking for the last month trying to get healthy so I could kick this cold out and have surgery. The other day when my surgeon postponed my surgery, I promptly went out and had a cocktail:thumb:

CrazyPhuD 01-25-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9350804)
Thats funny because I wasnt drinking for the last month trying to get healthy so I could kick this cold out and have surgery. The other day when my surgeon postponed my surgery, I promptly went out and had a cocktail:thumb:

:thumb:

The key is to drink enough to kill the germs, without drinking so much to pickle yourself. That's the balance some people fail to meet!:doh!: