ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Pastor refuses to tip "I give GOD 10% why do you get 18%" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269489)

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 10:43 AM

Pastor refuses to tip "I give GOD 10% why do you get 18%"

http://gawker.com/5980177/pastor-ref...r-tip-than-god
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18d3...jpg/xlarge.jpg

Quote:

Unhappy with having to pay a restaurant's auto-gratuity of 18% for parties of eight or more, a pissed-off pastor used his receipt to express his indignation.

"I give God 10% — why do you get 18?," the man wrote above the autograt line before crossing out the pre-printed tip and signing the receipt "pastor."

The St. Louis-area server who posted a pic of the receipt on Reddit said the pastor was dining with a party of 20, and asked to have the $200+ bill broken up into smaller increments in a failed attempt to avoid paying the 18% tip.

"They had no problem with my service, and told me I was great," the server said. "They just didn't want to pay when the time came."

Redditors have been trying to track down the less-than-charitable Christian, but have so far been unable to identify the culprit.

At least one pastor was forced to issue a response denying responsibility, and the server herself has asked fellow Redditors to stop posting personal information of random people "who don't deserve a Reddit mob banging down their Internet door."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

Edit: Pastor has now apologized -- waitress fired.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...logizes-687234

loochy 01-30-2013 10:47 AM

EDIT: I DON'T READ CAREFULLY

Reaper16 01-30-2013 10:48 AM

18% is getting off light. If you can't afford to tip 20% then you can't afford to dine out.

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364324)
Why write anything?

Also, who cares?

A tip isn't mandatory - it's a tip. If you want 10% or however much, add it to the bill.

A party of 20?? Yes, you can expect the restaurant to add gratuity.. Doesn't matter what cult you belong to.

loochy 01-30-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9364332)
A party of 20?? Yes, you can expect the restaurant to add gratuity.. Doesn't matter what cult you belong to.

OK I admit i didn't read the OP, I just glanced at the title and the picture.

Yeah, if it's in the bill, pay it dammit. Religion has nothing to do with it.

htismaqe 01-30-2013 10:52 AM

Two things we know:

This pastor is a ****head.

This waiter is going to get fired.

Mr. Laz 01-30-2013 10:52 AM

Tips are excuse for Restaurants to underpay their help and add hidden cost to customers.

Pitt Gorilla 01-30-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Why write anything?

Also, who cares?

A tip isn't mandatory - it's a tip. If you want 10% or however much, add it to the bill.

Many restaurants define it as mandatory with a large group (and rightfully so). This guy is likely stealing.

Predarat 01-30-2013 10:53 AM

When faced with a watier wanting a tip, I simply write this link down where the tip portion is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

PaulAllen 01-30-2013 10:53 AM

Wow, a whole $6.29... what a dipshit

kepp 01-30-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9364330)
18% is getting off light. If you can't afford to tip 20% then you can't afford to dine out.

I only tip 20% if the service is top-notch. 15% is my usual.

KCUnited 01-30-2013 10:55 AM

An unmolested dinner for a party of 20 deserves a tip.

Mother****erJones 01-30-2013 10:56 AM

**** church and pastors. Theyre all BS. This pisses me off. Cheap ass pastor cant give any kind of tip. Here's a tip for the pastor GFY

King_Chief_Fan 01-30-2013 10:56 AM

much to do about nothing.

a % of bill never made sense to me.
An expensive restarurant would create more tip for the server than the one working at IHOP.
Other than carrying a more expensive plate of food what does the high priced server do that the lower priced server doesn't?
So those of you who are in the food service business, please help me out.
I would rather tip on effort vs. the price of the meal.

Lono 01-30-2013 10:56 AM

Why should a restaurant be allowed to make you pay a tip? I tip pretty generously if my server is good but I don't like the "you have to tip this amount". That usually means, my drink stays unfilled and they don't give you near as much service as the guy next door who they have to suck up to so they get a tip.

loochy 01-30-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9364343)
Many restaurants define it as mandatory with a large group (and rightfully so). This guy is likely stealing.

I know and I agree - i didn't thoroughly examine the OP.

Rasputin 01-30-2013 10:57 AM

I am going to give the waiter a tip. I like it when they put a lemmon slice in my tea, makes the tea better. Thank you iav.

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lono (Post 9364361)
Why should a restaurant be allowed to make you pay a tip? I tip pretty generously if my server is good but I don't like the "you have to tip this amount". That usually means, my drink stays unfilled and they don't give you near as much service as the guy next door who they have to suck up to so they get a tip.

Usually the tip gratuity added to a party over 8 is meant to include the additional support from the wait staff and kitchen in ensuring the large party's needs are met. As a former waiter, once the guest number is over 5 or 6, it becomes very difficult to get everything done by yourself. Not to mention the additional busing staff.

loochy 01-30-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

It's part of the bill, that's why. They can charge whatever they want. It's the price you pay for overloading them with a large group.

If it's added into the bill, then pay it. If it's not, then I definitely agree with not tipping if you don't want to.

Fire Me Boy! 01-30-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 9364348)
I only tip 20% if the service is top-notch. 15% is my usual.

Yep. I start at 15 and go up or down depending on service. And I'm jist as apt to talk to a manager to praise outstanding service as I am to complain about really poor service. And the few times I've complained, I've paid the bill first - I'm not trying to get a free meal.

KC_Lee 01-30-2013 11:00 AM

I'm sure God is really happy with this "pastor" for invoking His name in order to bitch about paying a bill.

As it says in the Bible "..God loves a cheerful giver...", anyone know what is says about a whinny tipper?

BigMeatballDave 01-30-2013 11:00 AM

Chincy bastard

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9364373)
Yep. I start at 15 and go up or down depending on service. And I'm jist as apt to talk to a manager to praise outstanding service as I am to complain about really poor service. And the few times I've complained, I've paid the bill first - I'm not trying to get a free meal.

But you do gladly accept the gift card to use on your next visit :)

WhiteWhale 01-30-2013 11:02 AM

WWJD? :D

gblowfish 01-30-2013 11:02 AM

Jesus at The Last Supper:
"OK, who had the roast beef? You, John? Who had the veal? Thomas? Who had the three glasses of wine? Judas? We're going to need separate checks!"

Deberg_1990 01-30-2013 11:02 AM

I live by Mr. Pinks rules

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z-qV9wVGb38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCUnited 01-30-2013 11:02 AM

Our father always preached 20%, but 15% seems to be the standard.

KC_Lee 01-30-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9364387)
Jesus at The Last Supper:
"OK, who had the roast beef? You, John? Who had the veal? Thomas? Who had the three glasses of wine? Judas? We're going to need separate checks!"

LMAO ROFL LMAO ROFL

The Franchise 01-30-2013 11:04 AM

Next time I go to church....I'll make sure and drop a note in the collection basket that reads:

"God is free....why should I have to give you 10%?"

FlaChief58 01-30-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Why write anything?

Also, who cares?

The tip would have ammounted around $2 a head. It sounds like she did her job well and since she probably could'nt tend to any other tables (wich cost her $ ) I don't think that $2 a person is asking too much. I assume she's making less than minimum wage but, puts up with assholes like that guy all day with a smile on her face.

It's not her fault the food service industry is set up this way, she's just trying to put food on her own table. It's customary in America to tip for good service, like it or not

milkman 01-30-2013 11:05 AM

A group of 8 or more ate in this restaurant for less than $35?

KC_Lee 01-30-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9364398)
Next time I go to church....I'll make sure and drop a note in the collection basket that reads:

I was thinking this myself. Wonder how many members of this congregation are members of the food service industry?

Fishpicker 01-30-2013 11:07 AM

Hmm, I think the person that signed that receipt is fibbing. lay people tithe 10%, Pastors take their salary from that. or maybe he has to kick 10% up the ladder. Either way, God doesn't have to make rent on $2/hr.

The Franchise 01-30-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9364401)

Quote:

The St. Louis-area server who posted a pic of the receipt on Reddit said the pastor was dining with a party of 20, and asked to have the $200+ bill broken up into smaller increments in a failed attempt to avoid paying the 18% tip.
He tried to have the bill split up to get out of it.

Rain Man 01-30-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

That's the most important issue here. Where is this place and what do they serve?

I guess it could be a Denny's Grand Slam or something, but I don't think I've had a meal with my wife that cost less than $35 in the past several years.

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Separate checks...

Rain Man 01-30-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9364415)

He tried to have the bill split up to get out of it.

Oh. I withdraw my wonderment.

FlaChief58 01-30-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Because while she is taking care of 20 people in your group, she is not taking care of the other tables she normaly would be. It protects servers from assholes like those in the op.

luv 01-30-2013 11:09 AM

I know you all assume it's a guy, but that is sooo a female's handwriting.

tooge 01-30-2013 11:10 AM

Pastor is a dumbass and should stick to church spagetti dinners.

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9364426)
I know you all assume it's a guy, but that is sooo a female's handwriting.

That would actually make more sense.

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:12 AM

Doing acts out of fear and not genuine generosity is definitely something lots of church-goers should have experience with.

htismaqe 01-30-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

The total check was over $200. In an effort to get out of the automatic 18% tip, he had them split it up.

His portion was $35.

Lono 01-30-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364371)
It's part of the bill, that's why. They can charge whatever they want. It's the price you pay for overloading them with a large group.

If it's added into the bill, then pay it. If it's not, then I definitely agree with not tipping if you don't want to.

Over loading them with a large group.... Lol you're telling me they would rather not have a large group? They make money by the amount of people coming into the restaurant ordering food. I have taken 40-50 kids to eat during season and they don't ever charge us gratuity. If they did we wouldn't go there. I do however make each kid leave $2 which equals a pretty good pay day for the waiters.

milkman 01-30-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9364442)
The total check was over $200. In an effort to get out of the automatic 18% tip, he had them split it up.

His portion was $35.

Reading fail on my part.

htismaqe 01-30-2013 11:15 AM

I really can't believe how many cheap bastards we have here.

If you can't be bothered to leave a tip, don't eat out.

If you're too poor to leave a tip, you should be at home eating anyway.

Pitt Gorilla 01-30-2013 11:15 AM

They really need to publish the name of the pastor and the church. I'd be interested to know who actually thinks this way.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-30-2013 11:15 AM

Hi! I'm tax exempt (for no apparent reason), enjoy the skull-****ing I gave you!

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-30-2013 11:15 AM

People like this infuriate me.
Posted via Mobile Device

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lono (Post 9364446)
Over loading them with a large group.... Lol you're telling me they would rather not have a large group? They make money by the amount of people coming into the restaurant ordering food. I have taken 40-50 kids to eat during season and they don't ever charge us gratuity. If they did we wouldn't go there. I do however make each kid leave $2 which equals a pretty good pay day for the waiters.

Are you serious? Of course they'd rather have multiple tables with different cook times as opposed to a table with 40 ****ing kids...

okoye35chiefs 01-30-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9364442)

His portion was $35.

His bar tab was separate from the 35 he owed

htismaqe 01-30-2013 11:17 AM

ROFL

HayWire 01-30-2013 11:17 AM

I tip most of the time I eat out, but isn't it considered "optional"? Shitty service=nothing, good service=big tip. The restraunt should pay employees more and the guy shouldn't use religion to get out of paying a tip.

loochy 01-30-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9364400)
The tip would have ammounted around $2 a head. It sounds like she did her job well and since she probably could'nt tend to any other tables (wich cost her $ ) I don't think that $2 a person is asking too much. I assume she's making less than minimum wage but, puts up with assholes like that guy all day with a smile on her face.

It's not her fault the food service industry is set up this way, she's just trying to put food on her own table. It's customary in America to tip for good service, like it or not

1.) I didn't read the OP thoroughly...the tip was part of the bill, so yeah, he needs to pay that.

2.) In the case of a normal tip, nobody is required to tip anything. Should they tip? In my opinion, sure, if the service was good. However, if they choose not to then that is their choice.

3.) It's customary, but not a law.

The Franchise 01-30-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJKid (Post 9364463)
I tip most of the time I eat out, but isn't it considered "optional"? Shitty service=nothing, good service=big tip. The restraunt should pay employees more and the guy shouldn't use religion to get out of paying a tip.

You're getting a tip confused with a gratuity.

loochy 01-30-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9364451)
They really need to publish the name of the pastor and the church. I'd be interested to know who actually thinks this way.

Probably just that guy. Don't get his profession confused with his personality. He's probably just a tightwad. Pastors are just as faulty as the rest of us - they've just studied the Bible more.

FlaChief58 01-30-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJKid (Post 9364463)

They work on a very small profit margin as it it. Restaurant owners rely on tips as much as servers do. If they payed $10 an hour, your $40 dollar bill would be $100 for the same food.

But yeah, I tip based on service too. I start at 15% and based on the quality of service, it goes up or down

Swanman 01-30-2013 11:26 AM

A waiter that has to serve a dickhead pastor and most likely 19 bible thumpers should be given a 5,000% tip and a new car.

HayWire 01-30-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9364470)
You're getting a tip confused with a gratuity.

Pic of receipt shows "tip".......What am I missing?

Definition of GRATUITY

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially: tip

See gratuity defined for English-language learners »

See gratuity defined for kids »

Examples of GRATUITY

A 15 percent gratuity is automatically added to the restaurant bill.

tip
noun

Definition of TIP

: a gift or a sum of money tendered for a service performed or anticipated : gratuity

The Franchise 01-30-2013 11:29 AM

Most restaurants add an automatic 18% gratuity for parties over a certain amount. Just because it says tip on there.....doesn't mean it was an actual tip. Hence why they have the "other tip" section below it.

Ceej 01-30-2013 11:29 AM

I'm going to hold off until I hear what PizzaManHootiePeytonsPrincess has to say about this!

Chief Roundup 01-30-2013 11:29 AM

It is amazing to me how many people old and young that do not know that the wait staff normally doesn't make but 3 to 5 dollars an hour and tips are suppose to make up the difference plus some. A lot of people also don't know that if a person is paid in this manner and it doesn't come out to minimum wage the employer has to pay the difference at the end of the year.

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJKid (Post 9364504)
Pic of receipt shows "tip".......What am I missing?

Definition of GRATUITY

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially: tip

See gratuity defined for English-language learners »

See gratuity defined for kids »

Examples of GRATUITY

A 15 percent gratuity is automatically added to the restaurant bill.

tip
noun

Definition of TIP

: a gift or a sum of money tendered for a service performed or anticipated : gratuity

A 18% gratuity was added to the TIP once the patrons were over a party of 8.

Marco Polo 01-30-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9364398)

/thread

Swanman 01-30-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9364512)
Most restaurants add an automatic 18% gratuity for parties over a certain amount. Just because it says tip on there.....doesn't mean it was an actual tip. Hence why they have the "other tip" section below it.

It's more of an additional service fee and some restaurants will call it that to avoid confusion.

arrwheader 01-30-2013 11:31 AM

Because god doesn't pay rent dumb ****

notorious 01-30-2013 11:33 AM

There are a few cheap ****s on here.

Fish 01-30-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

They probably groan and curse every time they see you enter with your 40 little heathen brats.

Johnny Vegas 01-30-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

where at pizza hut?

HayWire 01-30-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9364515)
A 18% gratuity was added to the TIP once the patrons were over a party of 8.

I agree with you that he should have paid the tip, just thought the idea of tipping was dependant upon the patron

Fire Me Boy! 01-30-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9364383)
But you do gladly accept the gift card to use on your next visit :)

I actually refuse them unless the food itself was bad.

BWillie 01-30-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9364330)

If you have to afford being tipped to make a living, you can't afford working as a waiter. Is 20% the new 10%? I always tip around 15% and I thought it was higher than most. Still, I think tipping is stupid. I think of all the times I have tipped in my life and think back on if I never tipped in my entire life how much better it would be and how much more money I would have.

mr. tegu 01-30-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9364548)
If you have to afford being tipped to make a living, you can't afford working as a waiter. Is 20% the new 10%? I always tip around 15% and I thought it was higher than most. Still, I think tipping is stupid. I think of all the times I have tipped in my life and think back on if I never tipped in my entire life how much better it would be and how much more money I would have.

That makes about as much sense as a screen door on a battleship.

Johnny Vegas 01-30-2013 11:41 AM

I had dinner at Prime in the Bellagio. Food was excellent and the dinner experience was classy and relaxing. I tipped 20% which came out to $300 and everyone shit a brick. I remind them how their dinner experience was compared to other places and they'd come back in a heart beat. I remind them that this tip assures their service stays consistent for future visits. Hell when I went back we got a complimentary bottle of wine and a great spot in the restaurant to view the strip. They remember those that tip well.

Chief Roundup 01-30-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

So you want waiters to make less than minimum wage?

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

:spock:

And yes, 20% is the new 15%. I start at 20% and go up or down depending on the service.

Lono 01-30-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9364530)
They probably groan and curse every time they see you enter with your 40 little heathen brats.

Actually, they offered us a better price than normal and I was complimented multiple times on how well behaved of a group I had. Even had another customer stop at my table to compliment them. I'm fortunate to have some well behaved "heathens".

Reaper16 01-30-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

You're insufferable.

FlaChief58 01-30-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

If it were not for servers, you would'nt be able to take your spouse out to a fancy restaurant to wine & dine her. You'd be in line at McDonalds

Lono 01-30-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 9364532)
where at pizza hut?

It was actually a Chinese place.