ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV "Flight" (Washington). (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261809)

Micjones 07-27-2012 06:48 AM

"Flight" (Washington).

Zel and Goodman team up again...

Quote:

The "Flight" trailer has crash landed online.

Robert Zemeckis' first live-action film since 2000 harkens back to his last one, "Cast Away," as it focuses on a plane crash and its aftermath. Only instead of Tom Hanks being stranded on a deserted island with Wilson, "Flight" features Denzel Washington as a Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger-type pilot who crash lands a crumbling plane and saves everyone onboard. He's a real hero! Except for the fact that Denzel's Captain Whitaker was drunk.

That's the dramatic hook of "Flight," which seems to combine aspects of the 1992 Dustin Hoffman film "Hero" with the Miracle on the Hudson, Tony Soprano's bowling shirt (seemingly worn in "Flight" by John Goodman) and Martin Scorsese's favorite music cue ("Gimme Shelter"). The result is interesting, if only because "Flight" looks like the kind of movie that studios long ago stopped making.

Can Zemeckis, who has spent the better part of a decade trying to hack his way out of the uncanny valley with films like "The Polar Express," pull off the unthinkable and land an adult-themed drama with ticket buyers? Don't bet against him -- especially with Washington at the controls. Also, the plane flies upside down and all. Who doesn't want to see how Denzel gets everyone out of that?

Starring Washington, Goodman, Bruce Greenwood, Melissa Leo and Don Cheadle ("Devil in a Blue Dress" reunion!), "Flight" arrives in theaters on Nov. 2. Head over to Apple to watch the trailer in HD.

Jump to the site.

Deberg_1990 07-27-2012 07:17 AM

Looks great!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...hlight=trailer

Micjones 07-27-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8770967)

I know, I posted in that thread. /hangshead

I posted a thread I intended for the Thunderdome so I had to work quickly to edit the post. Couldn't think of anything else.

Brock 07-27-2012 12:27 PM

Knowing hollywood's luck lately, there will be a poorly timed air disaster.

DBOSHO 07-27-2012 04:15 PM

I got tickets to see that in advance this past wed at the dark knight rises premiere but i couldnt go.

Deberg_1990 07-27-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 8772513)
I got tickets to see that in advance this past wed at the dark knight rises premiere but i couldnt go.

Whoa, that's way in advance. I don't think it opens until November?

DBOSHO 07-28-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8772614)
Whoa, that's way in advance. I don't think it opens until November?

Yeah thats what the guy told us. He also said the director would be there to answer questions. No shit.

Deberg_1990 07-28-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 8773880)
Yeah thats what the guy told us. He also said the director would be there to answer questions. No shit.

Sounds like a test screening. They are looking for feedback on how it plays with an audience. To see if they need to cut anything or change a scene or two.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990 10-16-2012 10:45 AM

Getting strong reviews so far...

"Flight" represents exactly the sort of smart, direct adult filmmaking that we frequently complain Hollywood is incapable of producing anymore.

It has been too long since we've seen Robert Zemeckis swing for the fences, and his return to live-action turns out to be one of the most heartfelt and human movies of his career.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...nexpected-trip

Micjones 10-17-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9020234)
Getting strong reviews so far...

"Flight" represents exactly the sort of smart, direct adult filmmaking that we frequently complain Hollywood is incapable of producing anymore.

It has been too long since we've seen Robert Zemeckis swing for the fences, and his return to live-action turns out to be one of the most heartfelt and human movies of his career.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...nexpected-trip

This drops next month, right?

Deberg_1990 10-17-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9023607)
This drops next month, right?

yea, in about 3 weeks.

the Talking Can 10-17-2012 02:06 PM

great trailer, and i love denzel...

Micjones 10-17-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9024191)
yea, in about 3 weeks.

Can't wait. Hopefully I'll get a screening pass to see it.
Got one for "Paranormal Activity 4" tomorrow.

Brock 11-02-2012 03:08 PM

Sounds like crap.

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2012/11/...nes#more-77556

In58men 11-02-2012 07:57 PM

I'm in the theaters now, fixing to start in 15 minuets.

I'll give a review.

-King- 11-02-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9078609)
I'm in the theaters now, fixing to start in 15 minuets.

I'll give a review.

ROFL Really?

007 11-03-2012 02:23 AM

some review man.

In58men 11-03-2012 02:10 PM

My bad fellas.

Overall movie was pretty damn good. I give it 3 out of 4 stars. You should definitely see this in the theaters. It'll be worth the money. John Goodman is still a badass, wish they gave him more roles. Denzel is always good, you don't have to worry about his acting much. Great movie, I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD as well. It'll make you cringe, laugh and you might teary eyed from time to time. Go see it.

Fire Me Boy! 11-04-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9079944)
My bad fellas.

Overall movie was pretty damn good. I give it 3 out of 4 stars. You should definitely see this in the theaters. It'll be worth the money. John Goodman is still a badass, wish they gave him more roles. Denzel is always good, you don't have to worry about his acting much. Great movie, I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD as well. It'll make you cringe, laugh and you might teary eyed from time to time. Go see it.

I saw yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it. Agree with this review. Denzel was good, Goodman was a riot, and it's nice to see a straight-up drama.

Swanman 11-05-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9082443)
I saw yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it. Agree with this review. Denzel was good, Goodman was a riot, and it's nice to see a straight-up drama.

The trailer made it seem like a completely different movie. I really enjoyed it but I bet if the tone of the trailer was more in line with the actual movie it could turn off a lot of people. Goodman was pure gold. He was Walter Sobchak and the Dude's love child.

Sure-Oz 11-05-2012 05:48 PM

Saw it and enjoyed it. the opening scene is epic eye candy on the big screen, good lord

Micjones 11-06-2012 12:57 PM

I'm sorry that I wasted a thread on this turd.
This film was a complete and utter waste.
Had an absolutely epic start.
Unfortunately, Zemeckis did everything in his power to make me hate it the rest of the way.

Denzel was...well...Denzel. Excellent performance. One of the most nuanced portrayals in his filmography. He ought to make a serious run at a third Oscar. His film choices have failed me repeatedly the last 5 years though.

durtyrute 11-07-2012 10:56 AM

How can an Oscar worthy performance happen in a film that is "a complete and utter waste?"

Swanman 11-08-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9087819)
Saw it and enjoyed it. the opening scene is epic eye candy on the big screen, good lord

Going in, I didn't know if the movie was PG-13 or R, and that got answered in the first 4 seconds of the film.

Micjones 11-08-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9095112)
How can an Oscar worthy performance happen in a film that is "a complete and utter waste?"

An actor can give an Oscar-worthy performance in a bad movie.

durtyrute 11-08-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9099689)
An actor can give an Oscar-worthy performance in a bad movie.

Wouldn't the performance alone be enough to pull the movie from the depths of hell to at least being bareable?

Micjones 11-09-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9099703)
Wouldn't the performance alone be enough to pull the movie from the depths of hell to at least being bareable?

Nope.

I think performances like his often standout because of how bad the film is overall.

Deberg_1990 11-09-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9102086)
Nope.

I think performances like his often standout because of how bad the film is overall.

Why was it bad Mic? You keep saying it was bad....but why?

Sure-Oz 11-09-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 9098943)
Going in, I didn't know if the movie was PG-13 or R, and that got answered in the first 4 seconds of the film.

First 4 seconds were worth the admission alone.

durtyrute 11-11-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9102086)
Nope.

That sucks, I thought the movie was going to be good.

Fire Me Boy! 11-11-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9105717)
That sucks, I thought the movie was going to be good.

It was good. Don't let micjones sway you. It is worth noting, however, the movie is nothing like the trailers make it seem.

durtyrute 11-11-2012 04:12 PM

Just like the rest of em, we'll see when it gets to Netflix.

Micjones 11-15-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9105924)
It was good. Don't let micjones sway you. It is worth noting, however, the movie is nothing like the trailers make it seem.

I wasn't trying to sway anybody necessarily, but you can't tell me that movie didn't take a SERIOUS dive after the plane crash... That movie had an epic start and wobbled over the finish line.

ZepSinger 11-15-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9122237)
I wasn't trying to sway anybody necessarily, but you can't tell me that movie didn't take a SERIOUS dive after the plane crash... That movie had an epic start and wobbled over the finish line.

Well, it really wasn' t about the plane crash- rather, it was about a man's denial of his substance abuse issues. As such, I thought it was very good...

Fire Me Boy! 11-16-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepSinger (Post 9122395)
Well, it really wasn' t about the plane crash- rather, it was about a man's denial of his substance abuse issues. As such, I thought it was very good...

Yep.

In58men 11-30-2012 04:52 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YvUQonFG3os" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROFL

ThaVirus 12-23-2012 01:51 AM

Had some good laughs from John Goodman and a great performance from Denzel, as usual.

The movie had a tense vibe throughout that fit perfectly. I was honestly "on the edge of my seat" during the final NTSB hearing.

Good movie, for sure.

Dayze 12-23-2012 08:38 AM

that you tube clip was awesome.

Micjones 12-23-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9102138)
Why was it bad Mic? You keep saying it was bad....but why?

Denzel's an incorrigible drunk on one hand, but an elite high-functioning pilot on the other. Zemeckis' desperate attempt to redeem him at the end of the film didn't help. This selfish man who had never been able overcome his demons for the people closest to him somehow "came to Jesus" for a co-worker he was only sleeping with? :rolleyes:

Kelly Reilly's character was underdeveloped and completely superfluous to the plot.

I would like to have seen more of Don Cheadle and his work to keep Denzel out of prison. The situation with the toxicology report deserved more attention.

In fairness, this is still one of Denzel's finest performances and I'll be shocked if it doesn't net him his third Oscar.

In58men 12-23-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9233862)
that you tube clip was awesome.

Okay alright, alright and okay.

Fire Me Boy! 12-23-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9234260)
Denzel's an incorrigible drunk on one hand, but an elite high-functioning pilot on the other. Zemeckis' desperate attempt to redeem him at the end of the film didn't help. This selfish man who had never been able overcome his demons for the people closest to him somehow "came to Jesus" for a co-worker he was only sleeping with? :rolleyes:

Kelly Reilly's character was underdeveloped and completely superfluous to the plot.

I would like to have seen more of Don Cheadle and his work to keep Denzel out of prison. The situation with the toxicology report deserved more attention.

In fairness, this is still one of Denzel's finest performances and I'll be shocked if it doesn't net him his third Oscar.

He'll have some tough, tough competition this year. I think he might get a nom, but I'll be really surprised if he walks away with the statue.

keg in kc 12-23-2012 06:43 PM

Completely unrelated, but I watched Safe House yesterday, and was shocked to find it didn't suck. Maybe I'll catch Flight when it's on HBO in 2 months.

keg in kc 12-23-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

I'll be similarly shocked if Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't win for Lincoln.

Fire Me Boy! 12-23-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9236839)
I'll be similarly shocked if Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't win for Lincoln.

Agreed. I think DDL is the safe bet. I think Ben Affleck for Argo wouldn't be out of the question either.

ThaVirus 12-23-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9236828)
Completely unrelated, but I watched Safe House yesterday, and was shocked to find it didn't suck. Maybe I'll catch Flight when it's on HBO in 2 months.

****ing LOVED Safe House.

I thought Ryan Reynolds was exceptional in that one, as was Denzel.

-King- 12-25-2012 09:49 AM

Good movie but not anywhere good enough to win an Oscar. It's still Denzel acting as....Denzel, only this time he's a alcoholic pilot.

Denzel is one of my favorite actors but he's the same guy in every movie. Just with a new job and different clothes.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaveNull 12-26-2012 09:54 AM

Not sure if that was a commercial for AA or for cocaine.

007 02-17-2013 10:52 PM

Watching this with my oldest right now. He just said "am I mistaken or did he die" when John Goodman came in. LMAO

Deberg_1990 11-07-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9090769)
I'm sorry that I wasted a thread on this turd.
This film was a complete and utter waste.
Had an absolutely epic start.
Unfortunately, Zemeckis did everything in his power to make me hate it the rest of the way.

Denzel was...well...Denzel. Excellent performance. One of the most nuanced portrayals in his filmography. He ought to make a serious run at a third Oscar. His film choices have failed me repeatedly the last 5 years though.

Wtf dude? Just watched it on Netflix finally. Great flick.

ThaVirus 11-07-2013 10:01 PM

Denzel's never made a bad movie. Some are just "less good" than others.

I really liked this one when I watched it. I'm sure I'll give it another look now that it's on Netflix.

Deberg_1990 11-07-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Ah ok...didn't see this initially. Yea, I would have liked to have seen more debate about his high functioning alcoholic behavior. Would he haved been able to make that move sober or not? The movie hints that he was only able to perform the maneuver and save lives because he was drunk. That's an interesting debate.