ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music My daughter wants to play guitar... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269236)

htismaqe 01-23-2013 07:07 PM

My daughter wants to play guitar...

I have 3 guitars she could use but they're all standard, right-hand configurations and she's left-handed.

My wife thinks I should teach her to play right-handed. Since she's never played before, it won't be like she'd have to unlearn anything.

However, I'm concerned that I could be potentially limiting her later on because she might not ever fully develop the dexterity she might have otherwise developed if I had just gotten her a left-handed guitar to start with.

Brock 01-23-2013 07:13 PM

Jimi played a righty, he just strung it backwards.

Brock 01-23-2013 07:18 PM

I'm kind of curious why guitars are set up this way anyway. I'm right handed and play right handed, so that means I'm doing much more intricate work on my guitar with my left. that has never made sense to me. I bet I would be a lot better forming chords with my right.

LOCOChief 01-23-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9345644)
I have 3 guitars she could use but they're all standard, right-hand configurations and she's left-handed.

My wife thinks I should teach her to play right-handed. Since she's never played before, it won't be like she'd have to unlearn anything.

However, I'm concerned that I could be potentially limiting her later on because she might not ever fully develop the dexterity she might have otherwise developed if I had just gotten her a left-handed guitar to start with.

I'm left handed and play right.

ZepSinger 01-23-2013 07:18 PM

I'm also left-handed, and my guitar teacher insisted on teaching me right-handed.. and I am sooo glad he did! Lefty guitars are rare and more expensive typically than right-handed axes. And being a lefty, most of my dexterity is in my left hand, which is what moves around the fretboard. I would absolutely say to teach her right handed...

Easy 6 01-23-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9345655)
Jimi played a righty, he just strung it backwards.

This, its the easy fix.

LOCOChief 01-23-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9345669)
I'm kind of curious why guitars are set up this way anyway. I'm right handed and play right handed, so that means I'm doing much more intricate work on my guitar with my left. that has never made sense to me. I bet I would be a lot better forming chords with my right.

try fingerpicking and that "intricate work" will be for both hands and you'll be a better player for it.

Brock 01-23-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOCOChief (Post 9345677)
try fingerpicking and that "intricate work" will be for both hands and you'll be a better player for it.

I'm a finger picker. Never took to the pick. I still think I'd be a better player fretting with my right hand.

Nirvana58 01-23-2013 07:23 PM

Get her a left handed guitar. I went that route and tried to learn right handed when I first started. I got really frustrated and gave up. I didn't start playing again for two years when my friend restrung a right handed upside down so I could practice left handed. It still never sounded right and I didn't start to excell until I bought a left handed guitar. So coming from a left handed guitar player I strongly encourage buying her a left handed guitar if she is serious about learning

Mr. Flopnuts 01-23-2013 07:25 PM

Try it. I'm left handed, and play the guitar right handed. Give it a go.

Nirvana58 01-23-2013 07:27 PM

It can be difficult finding good guitars that are left handed. But I hate it when guitar teachers make their students play right handed. Some of the greatest guitar players played left handed

DaneMcCloud 01-23-2013 07:51 PM

Right handed.

Her strongest and dominate hand will be responsible for the most intricate parts, which will be to her advantage, if she sticks with it.

Guitar is super easy: it's just shapes. She'll benefit greatly with a right handed guitar.

In58men 01-23-2013 08:13 PM

Any pics? With pics I can determine what kind of guitar would suit them best.

Garcia Bronco 01-23-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9345669)

Lol...the hard part of playing a right handed guitar is the right hand. The left hand is easier. To be great one must master both in the physical sense. :)

Brock 01-23-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9345835)
Lol...the hard part of playing a right handed guitar is the right hand. The left hand is easier. To be great one must master both in the physical sense. :)

I've played for a lot of years, and I disagree.