ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Tomb Raider - 2013 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270826)

Gonzo 03-06-2013 09:06 PM

Tomb Raider - 2013

Go buy this game... ASAP

I've been playing it for a day and a half and its just ****ing awesome. I've been really quite impressed with it. The graphics, gameplay and extras are just incredible.

Trust me... It's different. It's kind of like Uncharted but with a lot of gore.

This will get me through to The Last of Us.
Check it out.

Gravedigger 03-06-2013 09:36 PM

It's on my list, I just beat Dead Space 2 and since SimCity's servers are shit atm this or Dead Space 3 will be the next one. Tired of all my friends saying that, "It's Tomb Raider..." as a reason to not get this game. This game looks badass and theres a reason everyone seems to have high reviews for it other than three metacritic user tards who bitch about the size of her breasts as a reason they gave it a three.

KChiefer 03-06-2013 10:26 PM

Yeah, after some guy stabbed me in the neck, I thought, woah, those graphics are graphic!

It's almost worth it to die on purpose just to see how they off you.

I prefer puzzle games more than shooters, but the combat gets your heart going occasionally so that's good. I'm not very far along, but I hope the tombs/puzzles get bigger/harder.

My rig isn't the best so turning on TressFX for her hair causes low FPS but it does look kinda cool although it still doesn't sit on her shoulders right which distracts enough for me to just turn it off.

Gonzo 03-06-2013 10:37 PM

I'm playing via my PS3 a d it's just a gorgeous game. The scenery, gore and flawless integration of the cutscenes are very impressive. It's nothing like the old school TR games. There's a few puzzles, dont get me wrong but its a lot more action. The storyline itself has kept me going.
So far I give it a solid 'A' for everything.
Graphics
Replayability
Storyline

Just an all around solid game. I'm about 6 hours in now and it just keeps getting more interesting.

QuikSsurfer 03-06-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9472666)
I'm playing via my PS3 a d it's just a gorgeous game. The scenery, gore and flawless integration of the cutscenes are very impressive. It's nothing like the old school TR games. There's a few puzzles, dont get me wrong but its a lot more action. The storyline itself has kept me going.
So far I give it a solid 'A' for everything.
Graphics
Replayability
Storyline

Just an all around solid game. I'm about 6 hours in now and it just keeps getting more interesting.

I'm planning on picking it up for PS3. Let me know if the combat is getting stale quick.

Gonzo 03-06-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9472672)
I'm planning on picking it up for PS3. Let me know if the combat is getting stale quick.

I don't think it will. It's not very repetitive at all. They come at you in several different ways and there are several different options regarding how to deal with adverse situations.

The Franchise 03-06-2013 10:58 PM

How does it get an A for replayability?

QuikSsurfer 03-06-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9472673)
I don't think it will. It's not very repetitive at all. They come at you in several different ways and there are several different options regarding how to deal with adverse situations.

I was going to say that I'd redbox this one for sure... but with the DLC costumes already out... I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy it.

this shot is not from a cutscene

http://i.minus.com/ibdMJ6gjTw4ig2.png

mmmm

http://i.minus.com/iBVaMU41d3WSY.png

Gonzo 03-06-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9472706)
How does it get an A for replayability?

I'm just playing through the storyline now. I haven't even really touched any of the extra shit you can do. IE raiding tombs, etc.

lcarus 03-06-2013 11:13 PM

I second everything Gonzo is saying. I'm about 80% through with the story mode, and it's quite good. The combat doesn't get stale. You keep getting weapons and weapon upgrades and combat upgrades that keep it interesting. The graphics and controls are great. I've been a long time Tomb Raider fan since the original one I played on PS1.

The only complaints I have, is that it doesn't have very many puzzles, and the ones it does have are just incredibly easy. The "tombs" in the game are little optional rooms or caves that are just one little puzzle or platforming area where you get a treasure for a skill point. They're very small, very easy, and very few and far between. Another thing I'd like to see is more isolation. There is too much human interaction for my tastes. I'd really love to see less human enemies and more deadly animal enemies, like in the old games. There are some wolves in this game, but that's about it as far as threatening animals. There are some other birds and mammals you can shoot for experience but aren't a threat to you.

That said, this IS the origin story. Lara Croft is not yet the adventurer we all know her as. I am assuming in the sequel, and let's face it, there will be a sequel, that she will start off as an adventurer and set off to get treasure in some ancient tombs or whatever. If they use this formula and apply it to raiding some ancient tombs like in the classic games, IT WILL BE FOCKING AMAZING.

Anyone else here an old school TR fan? With all it's flaws (and there were plenty) I cherish the old games on PS1. It wasn't until PS2 generation that I lost interest in the direction of the series. Glad it's back.

Gravedigger 03-06-2013 11:55 PM

I love in that picture where she's covered in blood, her hair is still flowing perfectly.

Lumpy 03-07-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9472738)
Anyone else here an old school TR fan? With all it's flaws (and there were plenty) I cherish the old games on PS1. It wasn't until PS2 generation that I lost interest in the direction of the series. Glad it's back.

I really liked playing the TR's for PS1. The graphics were crap compared to this new one and TR Underworld, but they were more my "style" of play. I like games that make you think and enjoyed solving the puzzles. A little comedy is good, too. I can't remember which TR it was, but I would deliberately run into the butler multiple times to hear him fart. LMAO

This new one looks cool, but I can't play games that make my heart race. I'll stick to my tame Wii games, (Mario, Donkey Kong, etc.).

lcarus 03-07-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumpy (Post 9472926)
I really liked playing the TR's for PS1. The graphics were crap compared to this new one and TR Underworld, but they were more my "style" of play. I like games that make you think and enjoyed solving the puzzles. A little comedy is good, too. I can't remember which TR it was, but I would deliberately run into the butler multiple times to hear him fart. LMAO

This new one looks cool, but I can't play games that make my heart race. I'll stick to my tame Wii games, (Mario, Donkey Kong, etc.).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mCx5svoyeYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lumpy 03-07-2013 12:58 AM

ROFL

QuikSsurfer 03-07-2013 08:28 AM

I played the original Tomb Raider on Sega Saturn -- absolutely loved it. I'll never forget coming out of the opening cave and running into a T-Rex... So awesome.