ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Should the Chiefs have drafted Flacco over Dorsey? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197593)

DaneMcCloud 01-04-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11241442)
Bad selection? Sure, in hindsight.

At the time, he was a no-brainer.

I didn't like it then or now. It was just another example of reaching for a defensive tackle like they did in 2001 and 2002.

IMO, it was not a "no brainer" because of his knee. He couldn't have passed a physical for many teams.

O.city 01-04-2015 02:56 PM

At the time, wasn't Dorsey considered to be the best overall player in the draft?

DaneMcCloud 01-04-2015 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11242451)
At the time, wasn't Dorsey considered to be the best overall player in the draft?

By whom? The media? Todd McShay?

Each and every draft in the past ten years has proven that the NFL is privy to information not available to every guy that registers an internet domain.

If Dorsey was the consensus best player, why was he available at #5?

ChiefsCountry 01-04-2015 03:11 PM

2008 consensus was pretty much Jake Long, Chris Long, Matt Ryan, and Glenn Dorsey were all 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d. They were all pretty interchangeable.

O.city 01-04-2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11242489)

Each and every draft in the past ten years has proven that the NFL is privy to information not available to every guy that registers an internet domain.

I dunno, I don't really remember that draft, I was a sophomore in college and didn't follow it to awful close. Thought I remembered it being a surprise he fell that far but that it was due to positional something or another

BigCatDaddy 01-04-2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11242489)

I cant stand the "consensus" bullshit excuse when a player sucks ass. Basically trying to reason a mistake a way by claiming others would have done the same.

O.city 01-04-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11242534)
I cant stand the "consensus" bullshit excuse when a player sucks ass. Basically trying to reason a mistake a way by claiming others would have done the same.

It's hard to judge guys after we know what they are as players in the leagues vs when they were prospects.

Marcellus 01-04-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11242534)

But the consensus pick who doesn't bust is just fine.

LMAO What a dumb statement.

JFC sometimes it is what it is and Dorsey was considered a damn near cant miss.

BigCatDaddy 01-04-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 11242560)
But the consensus pick who doesn't bust is just fine.

LMAO What a dumb statement.

JFC sometimes it is what it is and Dorsey was considered a damn near cant miss.

No. **** consensus all together. Do your own shit and be good at it.

The consensus was everyone giving Dallas shit for taking Martin in the 1st. They nailed that one.

"The Consensus" was Bridgewater wasn't worth a top pick because of one shitty workout. Oops!

"The Consensus" is how you end up with Eric Fisher as your left tackle, because he was one of the top 2 players in the draft.

Tired of hearing the "reaching" shit because of "x", "y", and "z". That's how guys most people know have real talent like Russel Wilson and Justin Houston drop to the third.

Marcellus 01-04-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11242596)

The consensus was everyone giving Dallas shit for taking Martin in the 1st. They nailed that one.

"The Consensus" was Bridgewater wasn't worth a top pick because of one shitty workout. Oops!

"The Consensus" is how you end up with Eric Fisher as your left tackle, because he was one of the top 2 players in the draft.

And Luck, Manning, Manning, Rivers, and on and on and on were all universally regarded as top 5 picks.

You can hate the consensus top 5 picks all you want and pick outside the box. I will take the top 5 guys and kick your ass with them all day long.

Moron.

O.city 01-04-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11242596)

Tired of hearing the "reaching" shit because of "x", "y", and "z". That's how guys most people know have real talent like Russel Wilson and Justin Houston drop to the third.

I agree. Just take good football players.

But i think some of this isn't that the players picked are bad, they just aren't developed very well either.

Deberg_1990 01-04-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 11242648)
I agree. Just take good football players.

But i think some of this isn't that the players picked are bad, they just aren't developed very well either.

No, sometimes players just bust because they are not very good, lazy, etc......a variety of reasons really. Every team has picks who bust. Every single one.

BigCatDaddy 01-04-2015 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 11242629)
And Luck, Manning, Manning, Rivers, and on and on and on were all universally regarded as top 5 picks.

You can hate the consensus top 5 picks all you want and pick outside the box. I will take the top 5 guys and kick your ass with them all day long.

Moron.

I just hate the "term" consensus. The "consensus" was Andy Reid was the best option on the market. You don't always have to go against the grain, but there is nothing wrong with doing your own thing without fear of criticism because "the consensus".

Marcellus 01-04-2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 11242709)
I just hate the "term" consensus. The "consensus" was Andy Reid was the best option on the market. You don't always have to go against the grain, but there is nothing wrong with doing your own thing without fear of criticism because "the consensus".

You don't get to have it both ways. You cant say you are fine with consensus when it works and hate it when it doesn't.

To your example, I wanted Chip Kelley as HC.

Reid was probably the 2nd best option and fact is Clark went after him because wanted to end the circus we had going on and no one should blame him. Fact is it has worked to some degree.

BigCatDaddy 01-04-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 11242743)
You don't get to have it both ways. You cant say you are fine with consensus when it works and hate it when it doesn't.

To your example, I wanted Chip Kelley as HC.

Reid was probably the 2nd best option and fact is Clark went after him because wanted to end the circus we had going on and no one should blame him. Fact is it has worked to some degree.

:facepalm: You aren't getting it. "Consensus" is bullshit and not a valid excuse for a **** up. You ****ed up.. plain and simple. What's the point of having your own guys if you want to blame the "consensus"?

Pioli was the "consensus" top guy. Clark ****ed up. I don't want to hear Clark went out and got the top consensus guy ever