ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals ****Official Royals Home Opener 4/8/2013**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271866)

gblowfish 04-08-2013 10:45 AM

Here's an opening day story for you:

Back in the Royals Glory Days, Right Field and Left Field GA operated just like any other day. There were about 5,000 total seats available, and people would line up and camp out the day before, in order to be in line to get seats.

Me and my buddies would stake out a place in right field usually around 9am the day before, and take shifts holding down the spot. We had sleeping bags, and a cooler, and drank and drank and played poker and drank and drank. Usually the home opener back then was a 1pm start, so you'd get into the ballpark around 11:30am or so, rush down to claim your seat in the GA, then the rest of the day was gravy.

In 1985, for opening day we tried a "good karma" ploy. Each person in line could buy either four or six tickets then (I think it was four). Anyway, we would buy four extra tickets. They were relatively cheap, like, $5 each. Then, when a couple of our friends went down to save our seats down close, me and my friend Gary would walk to the very end of the line for GA.

It was for sure that if you were at the end of the line, the tickets would be long gone before you got to the window. So, we went to the last place in line, and the last four people, or two and two, we sold them seats at face value as an act of good will to the baseball gods.

The people who got the tickets were thrilled. We told them why we were doing it, for good luck.

The first year we did it in 85, the Royals won it all.

Here's to good luck at home this year!

SPchief 04-08-2013 10:45 AM

I'm off to the game. Lets do this!

BlackHelicopters 04-08-2013 10:46 AM

Damn squareheads!

BlackHelicopters 04-08-2013 10:46 AM

See everyone at the K!

alpha_omega 04-08-2013 10:55 AM

On our way shortly!

cabletech94 04-08-2013 10:57 AM

on my way too!

let's go blue!!!!!

RedDread 04-08-2013 11:02 AM

Testing new sig.

BlackHelicopters 04-08-2013 11:04 AM

On the way now......

Nzoner 04-08-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9567890)

Back in the Royals Glory Days, Right Field and Left Field GA operated just like any other day. There were about 5,000 total seats available, and people would line up and camp out the day before, in order to be in line to get seats.

Me and my buddies would stake out a place in right field usually around 9am the day before, and take shifts holding down the spot. We had sleeping bags, and a cooler, and drank and drank and played poker and drank and drank. Usually the home opener back then was a 1pm start, so you'd get into the ballpark around 11:30am or so, rush down to claim your seat in the GA, then the rest of the day was gravy.

In 1985, for opening day we tried a "good karma" ploy. Each person in line could buy either four or six tickets then (I think it was four). Anyway, we would buy four extra tickets. They were relatively cheap, like, $5 each. Then, when a couple of our friends went down to save our seats down close, me and my friend Gary would walk to the very end of the line for GA.

It was for sure that if you were at the end of the line, the tickets would be long gone before you got to the window. So, we went to the last place in line, and the last four people, or two and two, we sold them seats at face value as an act of good will to the baseball gods.

The people who got the tickets were thrilled. We told them why we were doing it, for good luck.

Good story,man do I miss those days in RF GA.

RedDread 04-08-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Nice man, stuff like this makes me want to meet people from here in person.

Canofbier 04-08-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDread (Post 9567934)
Testing new sig.

Fantastic! I could watch that on loop forever.

BlackHelicopters 04-08-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Nice. Would like to buy you a beer. No homo.

BlackHelicopters 04-08-2013 11:40 AM

First beer opened.

mr. tegu 04-08-2013 11:55 AM

Sucks I didn't get to go this year. I will be watching it on the internet at least though.

kcjayhawks5 04-08-2013 12:00 PM

What time is the game?