ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Market for Alex Smith will be strong, Ian Rapoport says (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313075)

RealSNR 01-17-2018 09:17 PM

I will watch zero football at all next year if Alex Smith is still the QB of this team. The only way I will be tempted to tune back in is if he goes down with a season ending injury and Mahomes takes the reins permanently. Yes, it has to be a season ending injury. Any case where the team views it still as Alex's job is unacceptable. So if Alex goes down for two games, I'm not watching Mahomes play just so the team can take it away and give the job back to Alex. That doesn't hold my interest at all.

It's no longer Alex's team. He lost it. It's time for him to leave. Get the **** off the team, Alex.

DRM08 01-17-2018 09:18 PM

If they do bring Alex back, Andy needs to give Mahomes a fair shot in training camp. In 2017 there was no fair competition. He outright named Alex the starter without even giving Mahomes a chance to do anything. That's not right. The kid can play his ass off. Give him a chance.

Chief Roundup 01-17-2018 09:19 PM

The server for this place will be on constant shut down for weeks if/when Smith comes back next season.
I am sure the Chiefs are looking at $3.6M in dead money and $6-7M to get a good backup in FA and looking for other places that they can recoup that +/- $7M in cap space if they don't get a very nice return in a trade. I bet they want a 1st or a 2cd plus or they will keep Smith.

RunKC 01-17-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13367653)
If the guy needs 2 years on the bench before he's ready to start, he ain't gonna be a franchise QB.

Yeah, blah blah Rogers did it. Fine.

The guys who have sat that long and them went on to be franchise guys are the outliers.

He sat for a year, learned the ropes. It's time to take the ****ing training wheels off and sink or swim.

I agree. If Andy keeps Alex, I think it’s because he feels like he has to have a good year and win a playoff game because his seat would be getting warm.

Fortunately I don’t think that’s the case here.

notorious 01-17-2018 09:20 PM

You guys do realize what franchise we are talking about here......

Alex will be here next year.

notorious 01-17-2018 09:20 PM

You guys do realize what franchise we are talking about here......

Alex will be here next year.

NJChiefsFan 01-17-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13367677)
The server for this place will be on constant shut down for weeks if/when Smith comes back next season.
I am sure the Chiefs are looking at $3.6M in dead money and $6-7M to get a good backup in FA and looking for other places that they can recoup that +/- $7M in cap space if they don't get a very nice return in a trade. I bet they want a 1st or a 2cd plus or they will keep Smith.

It's been mentioned a little but if they do trade Smith they will need to find a backup QB.

Bewbies 01-17-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13367643)
Again, Terez says he thinks the trade happens. If you can get a 2nd for Alex, you trade him.

Bingo.

I’d take a 3 if it was the best you can get cause a 3 now is better than a 3 next year.

They’re going to get more than that though. He’ll bring a 2 and something else.

O.city 01-17-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13367663)
What if he is ready to be a franchise QB and the Chiefs just don't take him off the leash?

The reason Rodgers sat was because somebody held him back. If the Chiefs don't start Mahomes that doesn't necessarily mean anything about his talent. They could very well just be making the wrong decision in holding him back.

Correlation does not always mean causation.

What reason would they have for holding him back at this point?

NJChiefsFan 01-17-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13367707)
What reason would they have for holding him back at this point?

I agree with you there isn't one. But if they did make that mistake, that could be a reflection more on the staff more so than Mahomes talent.

BigCatDaddy 01-17-2018 09:51 PM

0% chance Shitty is back. Don't be silly.

jaa1025 01-17-2018 09:53 PM

There is no way that Alex is a Chief next year. He solves 2 very important issues with being traded.

1) Draft picks. The Chiefs have 4 next year which is horrible. He bring back at least a 2nd round pick but probably a 2nd and 3rd/4th rounder.
2) Cap Space. The Chiefs are in a big bind cap wise but it's very easily fixed. Trading Smith will get them out of cap hell and add a few more easy cuts then they will have a big surplus.

No way is he a Chief next year.

Now...it is the Chiefs and a very Chief thing to do to spite their fanbase would be to Trade Mahomes for the Browns 1st and 4th pick and restructure and extend Alex Smith. I would cease being a Chiefs fan at this point.

OKchiefs 01-17-2018 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13367754)
There is no way that Alex is a Chief next year. He solves 2 very important issues with being traded.

1) Draft picks. The Chiefs have 4 next year which is horrible. He bring back at least a 2nd round pick but probably a 2nd and 3rd/4th rounder.
2) Cap Space. The Chiefs are in a big bind cap wise but it's very easily fixed. Trading Smith will get them out of cap hell and add a few more easy cuts then they will have a big surplus.

No way is he a Chief next year.

Now...it is the Chiefs and a very Chief thing to do to spite their fanbase would be to Trade Mahomes for the Browns 1st and 4th pick and restructure and extend Alex Smith. I would cease being a Chiefs fan at this point.

I cease being a Chiefs fan if Alex is brought back until he is gone.

Buckweath 01-17-2018 10:35 PM

I don't see how Smith can be back. If you can't get more than a 3rd round pick, well that's his value. You take it and clear the cap space.

If Alex would stay, Mahomes would surely have a chance to beat him out in camp and if Smith gets beaten out, that is not good for his next contract so staying is probably not the best thing for Smith either.

The only way that Smith would be back is if Reid thinks Mahomes is not ready and frankly Id be shocked if it was the case, especially that you are surrounding him with arguably an all star offense. Just make sure you are giving him the best Oline you can give him. So maybe a new LG and better depth. A new WR maybe but for a QB starting for the first time I think the Oline is the most important.

BryanBusby 01-17-2018 10:38 PM

If you can get a 4th round pick or better, ship him out.