ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Low Hot Water Pressure; Cold Water Fine (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269899)

R8RFAN 04-09-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Seahawk (Post 9393122)
Go Tankless.. You will not regret it..

electric or gas?

A Salt Weapon 04-09-2013 03:17 PM

Gas, without question.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 04-09-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9571856)
I started draining and flushing mine once a year and it seemed to help a lot. It's going on 10 years on the current tank, despite our really hard water.

Interesting, thanks!

The first hot water heater was defective (GE). GE offered to pay for the parts but not the labor and since it was not working too well anyway, I chose to replace it for not much more than the cost of the labor.

This last summer, we noticed that the hot water wasn't lasting as long, so I turned up the heat and it's been fine since. But my contractor of ten years believes it's just a quick fix due to sediment buildup since replacing it in 2007.

I'll look into a flush, although it may not be feasible to due to the drain emptying onto a flagstone patio with a polyurethane finish. I'd be concerned the sediment and whatever might stain or remove that finish.

DaneMcCloud 04-09-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9571897)
electric or gas?

Are they better now? I looked into having a couple installed back in 2007 and everyone I spoke to advised against it.

Ming the Merciless 04-09-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9571909)
Interesting, thanks!

The first hot water heater was defective (GE). GE offered to pay for the parts but not the labor and since it was not working too well anyway, I chose to replace it for not much more than the cost of the labor.

This last summer, we noticed that the hot water wasn't lasting as long, so I turned up the heat and it's been fine since. But my contractor of ten years believes it's just a quick fix due to sediment buildup since replacing it in 2007.

I'll look into a flush, although it may not be feasible to due to the drain emptying onto a flagstone patio with a polyurethane finish. I'd be concerned the sediment and whatever might stain or remove that finish.

drain it straight into a clean out, using a garden hose

Frosty 04-09-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9571909)

I hook a garden hose to the drain and run it out into the yard. I look for the place with the most weeds to dump the scalding water on. :)

R8RFAN 04-09-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9571914)
Are they better now? I looked into having a couple installed back in 2007 and everyone I spoke to advised against it.

My HWH went out in 2011 I bought another tank, I wanted an electric tankless but the guy who installed advised against it... I am wondering the same thing... Sure would love to claim that closet space in the laundry room

A Salt Weapon 04-09-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9571914)

I've put in over 100 over the last 4yrs without a complaint yet. My boss and predecessor have put in multiple hundreds going back 10 years, in 4 years I've maybe worked on 15 of them probably less. That's in a pretty harsh climate as well. All Rinnais. I've repaired a shitload of bosch/poloma/myson/rheems/etc and there's not many of them sold here and none by us.

If you go Rinnai, you'll be very happy, another brand who knows.
Posted via Mobile Device

A Salt Weapon 04-09-2013 03:37 PM

Also pay a bit more to purchase from an authorized retailer, the extra hundred is worth it to make sure you're not getting a refurb or one that was reported "destroyed".
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 04-09-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 9571955)
I've put in over 100 over the last 4yrs without a complaint yet. My boss and predecessor have put in multiple hundreds going back 10 years, in 4 years I've maybe worked on 15 of them probably less. That's in a pretty harsh climate as well. All Rinnais. I've repaired a shitload of bosch/poloma/myson/rheems/etc and there's not many of them sold here and none by us.

If you go Rinnai, you'll be very happy, another brand who knows.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the info!

:thumb:

FlaChief58 04-09-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9571799)
Any list of trouble shooting (before calling a plumber) on a Water Heater that goes cold quickly?

If the heater is over 8 years old, you may as well buy a new one since it's at the end of it's life expectancy. Otherwise, buy a rebuild kit that includes both elements and T-stats, TURN THE POWER OFF, drain the heater and swap out the parts, re-fill the heater then (and only then) turn the power back on. Done deal...

NewChief 04-09-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9393172)
ok, it still could be sediment that came from the tank and now is blocking each outlet. Easy check for that is to just remove the shower head (super easy) and see if the pressure returns at that one spot. Assuming it doesn't, my next step would be to shut off the cold water into the tank, disconnect it and put it in a pitcher, turn it back on and see if the cold water coming in to the tank has pressure. If so, you pretty much know the problem is in the tank.

OH, one last thing. When you flush the tank just connect a hose to the tank then run it to a drain/sink but I would recommend putting a fine strainer in the sink so that if there is sediment you can see exactly what it is. Will make the next steps much easier if you know.

And of course you should shut off the gas to the heater to be safe.

This. Also if you have older pipes, they could be blocked with sediment. I had this exact problem. Replaced my lines under the sink with new ones and put a new faucet in. That was 5 years ago, and I'm still on the same hot water heater without problems.

Frankie 04-09-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9572011)
If the heater is over 8 years old, you may as well buy a new one since it's at the end of it's life expectancy. Otherwise, buy a rebuild kit that includes both elements and T-stats, TURN THE POWER OFF, drain the heater and swap out the parts, re-fill the heater then (and only then) turn the power back on. Done deal...

It's about 11 months old.

FlaChief58 04-09-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9572022)
It's about 11 months old.

What's the temp set at? Have you had any power surges lately?

FlaChief58 04-09-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9572018)
This. Also if you have older pipes, they could be blocked with sediment. I had this exact problem. Replaced my lines under the sink with new ones and put a new faucet in. That was 5 years ago, and I'm still on the same hot water heater without problems.

Typically the hot side has rusted shut when this happens and is first noticed @ the shower since it has the most draw. Disconnect the hot pipe and use a screwdriver to break free any rust in the hot opening on the heater