ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs NFL Combine QB workout thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270341)

RealSNR 02-23-2013 09:52 PM

NFL Combine QB workout thread

Coverage starts at 8 AM Sunday on NFL Network. No idea when QBs will actually throw, but GoWalrus has promised to get clips of Geno's workout. No idea if he'll get any of the others.

Here is what we can expect the throwing drills to look like:

Quote:

Through the combine, they get a good idea about whether the player name is likely to light up the football scoreboards in the future.

They want to see the quarterback’s 3-step drop, 5-step drop, 7-step drop and within those drops the reps want to see the QB go through the route tree. What’s the route tree? The QB is asked to run a slant, an out, a throw in, a corner route (7 route) and the deep route (the go).

Many quarterbacks worry that as they don’t personally know the receiver and have never played with them, they might throw over or under them giving the reps an inaccurate estimate of their skill. However, the reps do not care whether the receiver catches the pass or not. All they are interested in is seeing the quarterback’s footwork while they are running the 3-step drop, the 5-step drop and the 7-step drop.

In the 3-step drop they want to see how the quarterback handles and positions the ball: under-center. This is because most quarterbacks in college have never been under-center; they’re usually all back in the spread. They see and study the footwork, how the QB plants himself and drives the throw.

In the 5-step drop (intermediate route), the QB has to take 3 big steps and 2 small steps, get the ball and throw it out right away. Therefore, their footwork is essential.
In the 7-step drop (a deeper throw) the footwork, again, is very critical. Bill Walsh said that he could tell by looking at the quarterback’s feet (footwork) whether he had a good or a bad game. The second thing they notice is the carriage i.e. how the quarterback carries the football. Is it up towards the shoulder or is it below towards the center of the chest and stomach. However, ever since Philip Rivers no one can positively judge the quarterback through the position of his carriage.

Finally, they look into the arm strength. This is why the quarterbacks are asked to throw the 7 route and the deep route. The reps watch the quarterbacks drop back 5 to 7 yards and throw the football. They want to see how quickly and accurately it comes out of the quarterback’s hands.

KC kid 02-23-2013 09:54 PM

What QBs are not going to throw?

O.city 02-23-2013 09:54 PM

Barkley isn't, think thats it.

CaliforniaChief 02-23-2013 09:54 PM

It's awesome that most of the guys are throwing...makes it much more interesting. And I understand Barkley not being ready or he probably would have thrown too. Should be fun to watch.

AussieChiefsFan 02-23-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9430144)
What QBs are not going to throw?

Think it's just Barkley due to injury.

Shag 02-23-2013 09:56 PM

I'm going to be massively hungover tomorrow, so I hope someone grabs all these...

AussieChiefsFan 02-23-2013 09:56 PM

Thanks in advance to GoWalrus. As usual, an important NFL event falls on a Monday+ for me. Looking forward to the clips.

Hammock Parties 02-23-2013 10:07 PM

I am not going to record any of the others, just Geno.

If Geno does well, he's the pick.

If he doesn't, ****ing goddammit.

AussieChiefsFan 02-23-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9430247)

This

bowener 02-23-2013 10:24 PM

I've been thinking about this, and granted it is stupid, but do you think all the media heads kind of pushed "analysts" to claim there are no worthy QBs this year in an attempt to force the QBs to fully participate in the combine, and thus draw more TV viewers to the combine workouts?

KCrockaholic 02-23-2013 10:34 PM

Better be a Geno cam. We need cameras on him at all times.

BryanBusby 02-23-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9430153)
Think it's just Barkley due to injury.

Him and Dysert I think?

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-23-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 9430427)
Better be a Geno cam. We need cameras on him at all times.

PeniiVision FTW.
Posted via Mobile Device

TribalElder 02-24-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9430247)

Yes. If Geno shits the bed it will be hella disappoint

tk13 02-24-2013 12:04 AM

EVERYTHING IN THE HISTORY OF THE ENTIRE WORLD COMES DOWN TO THIS DAY.