ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ****Official Golf Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290478)

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-07-2015 10:08 PM

****Official Golf Thread****

The original Bushwood thread is overflowing like Craig Stadler's FUPA.

Use this thread to discuss tournaments, swing thoughts, equipment, and golf deals.

I thought we could also use the OP to create a WITB for ChiefsPlanet members. I'll list a poster's name and put their sticks in a spoiler tag, so you can see what everyone is carrying.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-07-2015 10:10 PM

And for the first reply, Billy Casper, maybe the best putter of all-time, is dead at 83.

Also, Tiger Woods is now a brokedick and Phil Mickelson is fading into Bolivian.

mr. tegu 02-07-2015 10:26 PM

Surely, I can't be the only person playing tomorrow.

Bufkin 02-07-2015 10:28 PM

Is Craig Stadler still alive? I used to use him on the old PGA Tour video games back in the late 90's because he looked like Mike Holmgren.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-07-2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 11316031)

I went out and chipped and pitched this afternoon. Course wouldn't open up the range b/c they said it was too wet.

I was toying around with chipping and tried something that worked somewhat well, as I have a tendency to keep my weight too far on my rear foot. If you pick your trail heel off the ground about a half inch or so, almost all of the weight goes on your left side, ensuring a downward strike. If you have an upslope, just do the opposite.

TribalElder 02-07-2015 10:38 PM

I need to play

Haven't played since I walked off the course mid round LMAO

mr. tegu 02-07-2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11316038)
I went out and chipped and pitched this afternoon. Course wouldn't open up the range b/c they said it was too wet.

I was toying around with chipping and tried something that worked somewhat well, as I have a tendency to keep my weight too far on my rear foot. If you pick your trail heel off the ground about a half inch or so, almost all of the weight goes on your left side, ensuring a downward strike. If you have an upslope, just do the opposite.

I'm not a fan of hitting off the mats but that's what I was relegated to yesterday and they still didn't have the grass open today.

That seems like it would be pretty effective for anyone with that issue. Especially for making it a part of your stance to eliminate having to think about staying forward at all. I do that well but I do have to actively think about it.

Miles 02-07-2015 10:45 PM

My swing is not great now but I'm a smarter player. Wish my swing were like it was back in high school a long ass time ago when I was dumbass.

Prison Bitch 02-07-2015 10:47 PM

See my signature

Discuss Thrower 02-07-2015 10:48 PM

Hamas fail. Not enough Bushwood in threadtitle

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-07-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11316048)
Hamas fail. Not enough Bushwood in threadtitle

Smitty's been gone, bruh.

Discuss Thrower 02-07-2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11316139)
Smitty's been gone, bruh.

Do you know what 'nemesis' means?

In58men 02-08-2015 12:01 AM

Golf = Dumb

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-08-2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11316151)
Do you know what 'nemesis' means?

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case, by a 'orrible ****. Me.

Discuss Thrower 02-08-2015 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11316193)
A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case, by a 'orrible ****. Me.

I'll be the Erroll to your Bricktop any day.

On the subject of golf itself.. It's been a while since I've played a full 18 and I'm not as disappointed with this fact as I should be.

bdj23 02-08-2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Woke up to a text from a friend about a 9 am tee time. Asshole won't answer his phone now

Hoopsdoc 02-08-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Still to wet here in Indiana. And I'm DYING to try out my new Cobra S3 irons. :mad:

Maybe I'll try to do some chipping this afternoon if I can find a dry spot in the yard.

Hoopsdoc 02-08-2015 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11316010)
And for the first reply, Billy Casper, maybe the best putter of all-time, is dead at 83.

Also, Tiger Woods is now a brokedick and Phil Mickelson is fading into Bolivian.

Word on Casper. Rip.

Also, it's startling how bad Tiger is these days.

Phil looks to me like he's coasting right now, he'll pick it up when we get closer to Augusta.

Dartgod 02-08-2015 01:50 PM

Man, I wish I could get out and play today. I have pretty much a new set of clubs and I've only been able to hit them at the range once.

I had an old set of Palm Springs cavity back clubs that I bought about 25 years ago. I replaced the driver with a TaylorMade Burner 9.5º about 3 years ago, and just recently replaced the irons with TaylorMade Rocketbladez irons (4-AW) and the 3W with a Rocketballz Stage 2 Tour 3W. My wife also bought me an Odyssey White Ice #9 putter for Christmas. I still need to replace my 5W, which I never used anyway. Never could hit that damn thing. I'll probably look into some sort of hybrid club.

Anyway, can't wait to get out to play.

OnTheWarpath15 02-08-2015 02:53 PM

Had a helluva season last year. Dropped my handicap index 8 strokes. Played today and had my worst round by far since June.

WITB:

Ping G25 Driver

Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 3-wood
Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 3H
Tour Egde Exotics XCG6 4H

Bridgestone J40 DPC 5-PW

Scratch 8620 Wedges 50/54/58

Scotty Cameron Futura X

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-08-2015 02:57 PM

I picked up an XCG-7 4 wood last summer for a song, but the head was just way too light. I ended up flipping it on GolfWRX for a small profit and went back to my XCG-4.

This year I'm really focusing on fixing the two major flaws with my swing:

1) My backswing gets way, way too long
2) My shoulders are way too steep on the downswing and I get stuck like you wouldn't believe.

OnTheWarpath15 02-08-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11316881)
I picked up an XCG-7 4 wood last summer for a song, but the head was just way too light. I ended up flipping it on GolfWRX for a small profit and went back to my XCG-4.

This year I'm really focusing on fixing the two major flaws with my swing:

1) My backswing gets way, way too long
2) My shoulders are way too steep on the downswing and I get stuck like you wouldn't believe.

Same here.

Simply Red 02-08-2015 03:11 PM

How are Yonex these days? they still make a decent product?

KC_Connection 02-08-2015 05:32 PM

Can't believe JB Holmes just decided to lay up there.

O.city 02-08-2015 05:42 PM

day will get therr in 2.

ptlyon 02-08-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 11316904)
Same here.

The both of you need to get fatter

KC_Connection 02-08-2015 06:36 PM

And that decision may have cost him the win. Day won the playoff.

Hootie 02-09-2015 12:49 AM

the Tiger Woods shit is just sad

he's done

it hurts golf

OnTheWarpath15 02-09-2015 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11317576)

he's done

it hurts golf

Yep. Tiger and Phil missing cuts every week is going to kill the ratings.

I watched the Waste Management anyway, mainly due to the 16th hole.

Watched about 10 minutes this weekend.

Simply Red 02-09-2015 07:05 AM

So out of curiosity - who's #1 in the PGA rankings right now, Rory M.?

MahiMike 02-09-2015 07:45 AM

75 degrees and sunny this weekend. I'm sunburnt. Lotta golf. Spring is here!

Simply Red 02-09-2015 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 11317660)
75 degrees and sunny this weekend. I'm sunburnt. Lotta golf. Spring is here!

we still have about 5 weeks :/

Simply Red 02-09-2015 08:37 AM

I don't ask much of you golfers on CP - but two things here! - Is Rory #1 in the world and do Yonex make good drivers? Thanks!!

scho63 02-09-2015 09:33 AM

The last time Tiger Woods was "swinging" good or "playing" great was when he was banging all those chicks!

He has really lost his mojo-karma is a bitch

frankotank 02-09-2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

No you're not....and please don't call me Shirley.
second time out this year and had the round of my life Saturday. popped an 80! now I know that may very likely be the norm or below for some of you.....but as for me.....YIPPEE KIE YAY!

frankotank 02-09-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 11316190)
Golf = Dumb

I used to feel this way.
1 - beer sports rule.
2 - golf may arguably be the greatest beer sport EVER! (I can see around the corner to maybe putting bowling #1 if nothing else for the fact you can do it in bad weathe)
3 - if you suck....you just drink more beer and all is well.
4 - beer sports rule

frankotank 02-09-2015 09:58 AM

- X-18 callaway irons (dated now but still fine by me)
- Rocketballz RBZ driver and 3 wood - 2 years old now and the two best clubs in my bag. getting that driver changed things a bit. getting the 3 wood changed things a LOT.
- Stage 2 RBZ 4 hybrid - nice club...very nice
- Odyssey White Hot putter - one of my best golf purchases as far as dropping strokes. never underestimate the power of the putter! :thumb:
- oddball club - Cougar sand wedge - it's copper and I'd rather lose any club in my bag over this old bastard. gotta be from the 70's man. just love the stupid thing.

mr. tegu 02-09-2015 12:01 PM

It was great weather yesterday. I absolutely stunk up the joint the first time playing my Callaway x2 hot 3 wood though. I just couldn't get any lift for some reason. I had hit it at the range on Friday (off the mats though) and did okay even though I wasn't hitting it that straight.

I had swung someone's x hot 4 wood a couple weeks ago on the course really well so I opted for the new model and in a 3 wood. I can't believe it would make that much difference, but so far it was a huge difference. I will need to practice more with it. I really don't want to have to switch it out.

I hate hitting off the mats. I think that jacked up my iron play as well. I am going to buy this hitting net: http://www.edwinwattsgolf.com/Edwin-...057973/Product

That is a great deal that is too good to pass up.

KCTitus 02-09-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 11317782)
I used to feel this way.
1 - beer sports rule.
2 - golf may arguably be the greatest beer sport EVER! (I can see around the corner to maybe putting bowling #1 if nothing else for the fact you can do it in bad weathe)
3 - if you suck....you just drink more beer and all is well.
4 - beer sports rule

#1 is clearly Darts...

KC_Connection 02-09-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

he's done

it hurts golf

Yeah, he's well into his decline. We may never see another golfer as exciting and dynamic as prime Tiger Woods was in our lifetimes, though I hope we do.

McIlroy is looking like an all-time great himself obviously, but he won't draw the same way Tiger did. Golf will take a serious hit.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-09-2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11317700)
I don't ask much of you golfers on CP - but two things here! - Is Rory #1 in the world and do Yonex make good drivers? Thanks!!

Yonex makes fantastic clubs, as good as anyone, but it's somewhat dependent upon model. What are you looking at?

Rory is #1 in the World right now, yes.

Simply Red 02-09-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11318724)
Yonex makes fantastic clubs, as good as anyone, but it's somewhat dependent upon model. What are you looking at?

Rory is #1 in the World right now, yes.

I wasn't really in the market - I was just curious since I used Yonex tennis rackets for years. Thanks for the info.

TribalElder 02-09-2015 06:02 PM

Rory is #1 because he is going old school tiger woods up in the Perkins waitresses breaking glass tables banging sluts.

Never swung a Yonnex so I can't speak on that

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-09-2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

he's done

it hurts golf

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 11318548)
Yeah, he's well into his decline. We may never see another golfer as exciting and dynamic as prime Tiger Woods was in our lifetimes, though I hope we do.

McIlroy is looking like an all-time great himself obviously, but he won't draw the same way Tiger did. Golf will take a serious hit.

Woods is likely done, but there have been numerous golfers whose careers were dead and buried for nearly a decade before they came back and played better than they ever had. Steve Stricker is the most recent example.

Now, Tiger won't ever be as good as he was in 2000, but if he regains his short game he could be as good as he was in 2006.

No one will ever draw like Tiger because he was a Jackie Robinson-type figure and a Jordan-type figure simultaneously. I don't think he will or should go down as the GOAT, but he's certainly #2.

It will be interesting to see how Rory's short game ages. He still hasn't won a major at a course that wasn't spongy. Ultimately, his luck in majors will normalize somewhat. To this point, he's been fantastically fortunate, but he will still likely end up with 10-12, which is too bad, because I ****ing despise that douche pig-nosed Mick mother****er.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-09-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11318728)
I wasn't really in the market - I was just curious since I used Yonex tennis rackets for years. Thanks for the info.

Yonex was one of the companies most responsible for increasing the predominance of graphite shafts on the PGA Tour. In the mid-1990s they actually debuted clubs that were made entirely of graphite, the ADX line. I had an ADX 200i that had a steel insert in the face. It was the best fairway wood I've ever had, and I still can't ****ing believe I traded it.

Callaway tried to steal their tech about a decade later with a club called the C4.

Phil Mickelson played Yonex from 1992-99ish, and Scott Hoch played them too. Colin Montgomerie played Yonex in the second half of the 2000s, but as a Japanese company, their presence has always dominated the Asian Tour.

Pablo 02-09-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11318738)
Woods is likely done, but there have been numerous golfers whose careers were dead and buried for nearly a decade before they came back and played better than they ever had. Steve Stricker is the most recent example.

Now, Tiger won't ever be as good as he was in 2000, but if he regains his short game he could be as good as he was in 2006.

No one will ever draw like Tiger because he was a Jackie Robinson-type figure and a Jordan-type figure simultaneously. I don't think he will or should go down as the GOAT, but he's certainly #2.

It will be interesting to see how Rory's short game ages. He still hasn't won a major at a course that wasn't spongy. Ultimately, his luck in majors will normalize somewhat. To this point, he's been fantastically fortunate, but he will still likely end up with 10-12, which is too bad, because I ****ing despise that douche pig-nosed Mick mother****er.

Ugh. I just can't bring myself to root for this guy. I suspect I'll just stick to watching Majors and call it good if that's the star I'm going to have forced upon me.

philfree 02-09-2015 10:43 PM

My Mizuno MP 15s will be in this week. I'm pretty excited about it. I tried three different heads and went with the 15s on the KBS shaft. My grouping was much better with the KBS then it was with the True Temper S300. I've been playing the True Temper shafts for the last 20 years and before that It was Hogan #4 shafts. In the end I never liked the True Temper's as much as the Hogan's.

I've never played anything but blades my whole life and while the MP 15s are a forged blade its not a true blade and it has a titanium insert forged into the head. So after many years this old dog has made a slight change.

Mizuno MP 15s 3-PW
Cleveland Classic Driver(with the brown head and gold face.)
Taylor Made RBZ 3 & 5 wood
I guess I'll keep using my MP 14 sw and I picked up a Mizuno 52 degree T-5 back in the fall but I've never been a 3 wedge type of guy. I like manipulating my pw and I can use it from any distance up to 125-130 yards. So we'll see what shakes out with my wedges as the year goes on.

KC native 02-09-2015 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 11319396)
My Mizuno MP 15s will be in this week.

I swing those. I love them. I had an ancient set of T-Zoids that I learned on and when I updated them, I went with those.

Simply Red 02-10-2015 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11318746)
Yonex was one of the companies most responsible for increasing the predominance of graphite shafts on the PGA Tour. In the mid-1990s they actually debuted clubs that were made entirely of graphite, the ADX line. I had an ADX 200i that had a steel insert in the face. It was the best fairway wood I've ever had, and I still can't ****ing believe I traded it.

Callaway tried to steal their tech about a decade later with a club called the C4.

Phil Mickelson played Yonex from 1992-99ish, and Scott Hoch played them too. Colin Montgomerie played Yonex in the second half of the 2000s, but as a Japanese company, their presence has always dominated the Asian Tour.

not surprising - basically ditto'd w/ regards to their tennis gear - even when mentioning pros who use their equipment - good shit there - thanks.

philfree 02-10-2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11319519)
I swing those. I love them. I had an ancient set of T-Zoids that I learned on and when I updated them, I went with those.

When I purchased my old set of MP-14s I also go the T-Zoid Driver and fairway woods with the steel shafts. Still have them.

philfree 02-12-2015 09:15 AM

I got a good deal with the irons I purchased but I was just looking at the TaylorMade drivers on their website and I'm insulted that they think $500.00 is an O.K. price for a single club. I can't believe that anyone would pay that. They can **** off!

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-12-2015 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 11323417)
I got a good deal with the irons I purchased but I was just looking at the TaylorMade drivers on their website and I'm insulted that they think $500.00 is an O.K. price for a single club. I can't believe that anyone would pay that. They can **** off!

Wait two months and you can get the same club for 60% off.

No one should ever buy a new TM club. Their constant product churn has really hurt the golf industry, especially smaller shops that are left holding the ball with devalued inventory that they end up moving at a loss.

King_Chief_Fan 02-12-2015 09:23 AM

Going to Golf Galaxy today to swing Callaway XR driver, Taylor Made Burner Aero and Cleveland Black CG.
I play with a Cleveland today but it is a little older version...Launch 290. I really like that club.
Now that I am retired...I plan on playing a lot more and could use a little more distance with the driver. Getting old sucks and does sap some of your swing speed.
Not sure what to look at with irons...I play with Cobra's today and don't see much need in changing those as I still hit them well.
I use a RBZ hybrid and a cleveland wedge.
I putt with a Ping

Dartgod 02-12-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11323432)

No one should ever buy a new TM club. Their constant product churn has really hurt the golf industry, especially smaller shops that are left holding the ball with devalued inventory that they end up moving at a loss.

Doesn't bother me any. I got a set of 4-AW Rocketbladez irons for $299 and a Rocketballz Stage 2 Tour 3W for $69.99 recently.

EDIT: I know I proved your point. I'm just excited to play these if I ever get the ****ing chance.

philfree 02-12-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11323432)

I guess so. Think I'll stick with my Cleveland Classic for a while longer.

mr. tegu 02-12-2015 10:00 AM

If anyone is interested, the Callaway certified used site is having a really good deal on things right now. I just bought a x hot 5 wood and hybrid 4 for $80. They are last years model but they are half the price of the x2 hot clubs. This is just like what Hamas said a few posts up with getting really good deals when the new model comes out.

Protip: make the purchase through their ebay store and things are even cheaper. Usually a difference of $10 to $20.

RockChalk 02-20-2015 10:00 AM

Question...actually kind of 3.

Thinking about following the Royals out on the road for a weekend this year and want to make it kind of a golf trip, as well. Right now I'm looking at Boston (Aug 20-23), Tampa (Aug 28-30), and Baltimore (Sep 11-13). Obviously Tampa will have plenty of nice courses, but I'd be more interested in some historic courses in the area of Boston or Baltimore that the general public would be allowed to play. I don't mind having to drive a little ways.

Any of you guys have some suggestions? Thanks in advance

KC native 02-20-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 11323441)
Doesn't bother me any. I got a set of 4-AW Rocketbladez irons for $299 and a Rocketballz Stage 2 Tour 3W for $69.99 recently.

EDIT: I know I proved your point. I'm just excited to play these if I ever get the ****ing chance.

My dad bought a set of Rocketballs irons just under 2 years ago. He loves them.

I swung them a couple times and they are super easy to get distance and keep reasonably straight.

MahiMike 02-20-2015 11:22 AM

My son is a 4 handicap and plays competitively. He won his last tournament and I promised I'd get him fitted for a new driver. Has anyone used GolfTec? Are they in your area? They do a 90 minute evaluation of your swing and recommend clubs, shafts that fit you.

$125 for the evaluation is free if you buy the club through them. They carry all major brands other than Titleist and Cobra. Thinking of getting a Ping driver for him. He currently plays Taylor Made.

philfree 02-20-2015 11:28 AM

I go pick up my MP-15s today at 1:00. I was hoping that the pair of Puma spikeless golf shoes I ordered are dropped off so I can wear them when I hit my new clubs on the trackman. I was going to buy a new pair of MY Joys but they were $320.00 so I went shopping and I found a pair of Foot Joy Icons for $130.00. So I ended up buying three pairs of shoes for the amount I could have paid for one. I got the Icons a pair FJ M Projects and the spikeless Pumas. I thought I done good.

I've also been bargain shopping for some golf duds. I picked up some Izod golf pants and a couple shark shirts from Macy's all on sale and with the wifes coupons it all became dirt cheap. I'm pretty much geared up for the 2015 golf year. Now if I could find a discount on some nice weather.

Meatloaf 02-20-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 11338176)
I go pick up my MP-15s today at 1:00. I was hoping that the pair of Puma spikeless golf shoes I ordered are dropped off so I can wear them when I hit my new clubs on the trackman. I was going to buy a new pair of MY Joys but they were $320.00 so I went shopping and I found a pair of Foot Joy Icons for $130.00. So I ended up buying three pairs of shoes for the amount I could have paid for one. I got the Icons a pair FJ M Projects and the spikeless Pumas. I thought I done good.

I've also been bargain shopping for some golf duds. I picked up some Izod golf pants and a couple shark shirts from Macy's all on sale and with the wifes coupons it all became dirt cheap. I'm pretty much geared up for the 2015 golf year. Now if I could find a discount on some nice weather.

You're gonna love those KBS shafts. I had them installed in my Adams CB3s and they are soooo smooth. Great shafts. Good luck!

philfree 02-20-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatloaf (Post 11338195)
You're gonna love those KBS shafts. I had them installed in my Adams CB3s and they are soooo smooth. Great shafts. Good luck!

I got the KBS C Taper shafts. They blew the True Tempers away when I was trying them out. I've been playing True Temper shafts for 20 years and I never liked them as much as I did the old Hogan 4 shafts I had before that. I'm pumped!

The Pumas have arrived.

Meatloaf 02-20-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 11338212)
I got the KBS C Taper shafts. They blew the True Tempers away when I was trying them out. I've been playing True Temper shafts for 20 years and I never liked them as much as I did the old Hogan 4 shafts I had before that. I'm pumped!

The Pumas have arrived.

Yup, I have the c-tapers too. Slightly lower trajectory than S300s. You're gonna love em!

stevieray 02-20-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 11316810)
Man, I wish I could get out and play today. I have pretty much a new set of clubs and I've only been able to hit them at the range once.

I had an old set of Palm Springs cavity back clubs that I bought about 25 years ago. I replaced the driver with a TaylorMade Burner 9.5º about 3 years ago, and just recently replaced the irons with TaylorMade Rocketbladez irons (4-AW) and the 3W with a Rocketballz Stage 2 Tour 3W. My wife also bought me an Odyssey White Ice #9 putter for Christmas. I still need to replace my 5W, which I never used anyway. Never could hit that damn thing. I'll probably look into some sort of hybrid club.

Anyway, can't wait to get out to play.

I'm your huckleberry...played Ping Eye 2's for years..might pick up another set...Woods too...I found some at ten bucks a club.

...aquired Adams Drivers this summer for dirt cheap...love those clubs.

I've got to pick a putter..I have a Greg Norman Tiger Shark, PingZing, Hog1005D and an AXIS1

edit: Forgot I bought an ALL Hickory putter St Andrews The "Davie" but haven't tried it.

Dartgod 02-20-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 11338403)
I'm your huckleberry...played Ping Eye 2's for years..might pick up another set...Woods too...I found some at ten bucks a club.

...aquired Adams Drivers this summer for dirt cheap...love those clubs.

I've got to pick a putter..I have a Greg Norman Tiger Shark, PingZing, Hog1005D and an AXIS1

edit: Forgot I bought an ALL Hickory putter St Andrews The "Davie" but haven't tried it.

Yeah, we'll definitely have to get out and hit some this year. Does the Mrs. play? Mine does occasionally. She struggles quite a bit but we'd have a good time.

Dartgod 02-20-2015 01:45 PM

The nice thing about replacing clubs every 20 years or so, is that you can buy new clubs that are a year or two old (technology wise) for a great price and significantly upgrade.

philfree 03-08-2015 01:47 PM

So how's Terradyne CC and Crestview CC? Ironhorse and Deer Creek GC?

philfree 03-14-2015 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 11368323)
So how's Terradyne CC and Crestview CC? Ironhorse and Deer Creek GC?

No feed back on these courses. Are they worth me driving to play?

I'm pumped for golf this year and I'm almost totally retooled. Just ordered a new Sun Mountain C-130S golf bag in black. Has the 14 slots, one for each club and although it's a cart bag it has a stand. I've had the same cart bag for 15 years so I was due.

New set of Mizuno MP-15s complete with a 56* SW and I picked a 52* late last fall. For the first time in my life I'm going to carry 3 wedges.
New pair of Foot Joy Icons as well as a pair of M Projects both at about half price.

I also picked some new duds at Macy's. With the sales and the wife's discounts I've been buying shirts and pants for a little over $20.00 per. Hell I even got new socks.

Now I'm ready!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...u08nKs_XjIWR_Q

KCTitus 03-14-2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 11337922)
Question...actually kind of 3.

Thinking about following the Royals out on the road for a weekend this year and want to make it kind of a golf trip, as well. Right now I'm looking at Boston (Aug 20-23), Tampa (Aug 28-30), and Baltimore (Sep 11-13). Obviously Tampa will have plenty of nice courses, but I'd be more interested in some historic courses in the area of Boston or Baltimore that the general public would be allowed to play. I don't mind having to drive a little ways.

Any of you guys have some suggestions? Thanks in advance

For Baltimore, the biggest two would be TPC Avenel and Congressional. The TPC is open to public. I dont think Congressional is, but I really dont know.

TPC was the site for the Kemper Open until the mid late 90's and Congressional has a regular tour stop and was the site of the US Open in 2011.

philfree 03-18-2015 07:15 PM

So I'm going to play a few golf tournaments this year in Kansas. Deer Creek(Overland Pk), Ironhorse(Leawood), Willow Bend(Wichita), Quail Ridge(Winfield) and Alvamar. I'm pretty sure these are all good tracks but if any of you all have opinions on these courses I would love to hear it.

Old Dog 03-22-2015 03:51 PM

I have decided (again) that I hate this game. Shot a decent round for me today (86....I'm a 14.8 handicap) but not only did I miss THREE putts inside of two feet (don't even know how at that distance) I couldn't find the fairway off of the tee if you gave me a dadgum roadmap.

It's the 8th round I've played this year and outside of the driver I'm pretty happy with the way I'm playing. I have no off the wall notion that I'm going to suddenly start shooting low 80s every time out, but if I could get the big stick working correctly I do think I could shoot 85-89 consistently.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-22-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 11397771)
I have decided (again) that I hate this game. Shot a decent round for me today (86....I'm a 14.8 handicap) but not only did I miss THREE putts inside of two feet (don't even know how at that distance) I couldn't find the fairway off of the tee if you gave me a dadgum roadmap.

It's the 8th round I've played this year and outside of the driver I'm pretty happy with the way I'm playing. I have no off the wall notion that I'm going to suddenly start shooting low 80s every time out, but if I could get the big stick working correctly I do think I could shoot 85-89 consistently.

Consider looking at one of the mini drivers/deep faced three woods. It's a lot easier to control a club with a 43" shaft, and a lot of guys hit them almost as long as their driver.

Something like this, for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tour-Edg...item35e6f83199

Old Dog 03-22-2015 04:01 PM

may do that if things keep up this way, thank you

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-22-2015 04:01 PM

What's your setup right now, OD?

Old Dog 03-22-2015 04:09 PM

Meaning how do I set up to the ball?
With the driver, with the ball about the left heel, and the right foot dropped back about 3". The issue is I'll push the dang thing one time and then pull it the next, hit one 4 miles high the next time, and every 6th or 7th time hit a baby draw that is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. It's like Forrest Gumps box of chocolates.

If you were meaning what clubs am I using....I have old bats.
Nike Sumo2 driver, 3W, and 2 hybrid
Nike Slingshot 3-7
Nike SQ Sumo 8,9,PW,AW,SW
Odyssey 2 ball putter

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-22-2015 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 11397836)
Meaning how do I set up to the ball?
With the driver, with the ball about the left heel, and the right foot dropped back about 3". The issue is I'll push the dang thing one time and then pull it the next, hit one 4 miles high the next time, and every 6th or 7th time hit a baby draw that is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. It's like Forrest Gumps box of chocolates.

If you were meaning what clubs am I using....I have old bats.
Nike Sumo2 driver, 3W, and 2 hybrid
Nike Slingshot 3-7
Nike SQ Sumo 8,9,PW,AW,SW
Odyssey 2 ball putter

I was wondering more about the physical length of your driver shaft. I wasn't clear. Apologies.

You might be able to find a club like the X-Hot 3 Deep at 14.5, which is a deep faced 3-wood, to work as a driver. I wouldn't try it off the deck too often (unless you play on zoysia).

Honestly, the best thing you can do is find a good pro who offers reasonably-priced lessons. Make sure that he uses video. If he does, he can connect it to a laptop and you can download it onto a flash drive so you can view your swings (good and bad) so you know what to do.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-22-2015 06:09 PM

Conversely, you could just try this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lg0ef3VN3DA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-26-2015 04:38 PM

I made a pretty radical tweak this afternoon. I have a tendency for my LH to get way, way too strong on the club (like four knuckles at address). It affects the consistency of every shot I play because I have to play with a shut face and hold off the release.

I weakened my grip to 1.5 knuckles, first starting with chips and pitches. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I hit the ball significantly more consistently. It also made a difference in my full swings as well. It much easier to feel like you can go after the ball w/o fear of it going left.

Also, I tried hitting the X2 Hot 3 Deep, as I was considering a safe driver/two-wood.

Didn't care for it at all. My 15* TEE was longer off the tee and deck and easier to elevate.

O.city 03-26-2015 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11405196)
I made a pretty radical tweak this afternoon. I have a tendency for my LH to get way, way too strong on the club (like four knuckles at address). It affects the consistency of every shot I play because I have to play with a shut face and hold off the release.

I weakened my grip to 1.5 knuckles, first starting with chips and pitches. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I hit the ball significantly more consistently. It also made a difference in my full swings as well. It much easier to feel like you can go after the ball w/o fear of it going left.

Also, I tried hitting the X2 Hot 3 Deep, as I was considering a safe driver/two-wood.

Didn't care for it at all. My 15* TEE was longer off the tee and deck and easier to elevate.

In the end it will make it easier on your body and easier to repeat. I think it's a pretty smart move.

same reason I'm not a big fan of dust in Johnsons swing

OnTheWarpath15 03-26-2015 04:57 PM

I was just getting ready to bump this thread.

Just spent 4 days in Alabama playing all three courses at RTJ Capitol Hill and the two at RTJ Grand National.

Capitol Hill is a must-play, IMO. Three courses on property, all very different.

The Judge is the course they are known for, and it's a beast. Played about as well as I'm capable of playing and still shot a 93. Hard, hard golf course. You could hit the middle of the fairway or a green and still roll into a hazard. Tee shot on #1 is incredible - 200 foot drop with the Mongomery skyline in the distance, trees left and water right.

The Senator is a links style course that hosts the LPGA Yokohama Classic. Tons of blind shots and HUGE greens - if you're on the wrong level, forget it. Above the hole, forget it. Best round there was an 83 with FIVE three-putts.

The Legislator was a tree-lined course and according to the course rating and slope is the hardest - I'd completely disagree. Keep the ball in play and it's nowhere near as penal as the Judge. Great shotmaker's course.

I'd heard great things about Grand National near Auburn, so we drove over and played 36. The Lakes course is hosting the PGA's Barbasol Championship this summer - they have a TON of work to do, or the pros are going to grumble. Conditioning was pretty poor. Pros should carve that place up.

7 rounds of golf in 4 days and a 9 hour drive each way - I feel like a bag of smashed assholes today.