ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life ****Official 2013 Weight Loss Challenge**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268338)

Great Expectations 01-09-2013 01:53 PM

I'm down 3 lbs to 226. I've been spinning at the gym, I'm ready for Daylight Savings time and warm weather so I can start riding outside.

phisherman 01-09-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9300137)
Eventually, you'll hit a point where that is virtually impossible. Generally, that's about the time you can run 6+ miles without walking. If you find your pace, you'll get to six...seven...eight...and feel like you can just keep going forever...and that's because you can. You don't have to feel like trash afterwards in order to have a great workout, IMO.

Very true on all counts. Pacing is the key with running. The first few months, when I had trouble doing 2 miles at a time, every run was death and I felt totally gassed after every run.

Now I can hit a 9 minute per mile pace and run pretty much forever. I ran my first 5k in September of last year and I'm signed up for a half marathon already this year. Being 50 pounds lighter than I was last year definitely helps this, but dogged persistence is the key to getting used to running distances.

The key for speed, once you're acclimated to running, is to integrate speed workouts into your running/workout regimen. I power walk once a week and also try to swim once a week to change up the same old, same old routine, along with some speed/interval routines.

Your times will get better, but it's like losing weight; just fight through the plateaus.

luv 01-09-2013 02:22 PM

Went to the doctor yesterday. I weighed one pound less than I did on my original weigh in. And that was fully clothed including tennis shoes.

Saul Good 01-09-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9300342)
Went to the doctor yesterday. I weighed one pound less than I did on my original weigh in. And that was fully clothed including tennis shoes.

Now, you just need to wear less and less every time you visit the doctor.

keg in kc 01-09-2013 02:35 PM

This may seem counter-productive but it's worked for me: the best way to improve my speed has always been to stop worrying about it and focus on the distance instead. Once I get to a certain point (right now I'm just under 3.5 miles, it's that time for me...) I lose my watch, and work on running a little further every day. The watch is great when I'm doing interval work, but once I finally get into long distances, it can really **** me up. Sort of the same way that getting on the scale every day can. I focus too much on what kind of time I'm running, get discouraged if I feel like I'm going slower than I want, or push too hard early and gas out late, even just stare at the watch for a half hour. Which is like torture. So I take it out of the equation. It lets me just focus on the running itself, and I can lose myself in it. Every so often I'll time the run just so I have a general idea, but it seems to help me to focus on where I'm running, and not how long I'm running.

Now, I run outdoors. Can't do that so much on a treadmill, so people's mileage will vary (I can't run on a treadmill at all; I'd rather be waterboarded). But this approach got me from @13 down to @9 last year.

Buck 01-09-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9300126)
Never looked at or posted in this thread.

Bet the wife for a big screen and a piece of furniture in the BR that I'd lose 35 lbs in 3 weeks.

FAHK ME.

I'm not 16 and in wrestling shape.

This should be fun...

3 weeks?

You already lost.

phisherman 01-09-2013 02:46 PM

I only wear my watch to track my distance. I could care less about the speed. My goal is still to be burning calories, and I'm better off running 10 minute miles for an hour than running 8 minute miles for 40 minutes or so.

Organized races are the only time that I really track my pace/speed during the actual run.

Buck 01-09-2013 05:07 PM

Holy ****.

Percoset is about 1000 times better than Vicodin.

keg in kc 01-09-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9300888)
Holy ****.

Usually a comment I'd follow with "this is going to end well."

KCUnited 01-09-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Holy ****.

I'd eat some prunes.

Buck 01-09-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9300913)
Usually a comment I'd follow with "this is going to end well."

It's going great for me so far. I'm on the moooooooooooooooooooooooooooon.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9300916)
I'd eat some prunes.

I eat a lot of almonds and asparagus. Pooping is not an issue with me.

Nightfyre 01-09-2013 05:25 PM

I'll get in on this action. Starting weight at 206. Hope to be down to 185 by May. The trick for me will be keeping it off when I get back down there.

31PriestWay 01-09-2013 10:03 PM

Long time lurker rarely post but I would like in. Started last Wednesday at 210 and want to get down to 190. Weighed in today and down to 209. On my second week of insanity and it is tough but I like it.

luv 01-09-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9300359)
Now, you just need to wear less and less every time you visit the doctor.

Well, I weighed nude on my original weigh in. I figured clothes and tennis shoes add a few pounds.

The Franchise 01-09-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Holy ****.

Percoset does nothing for me. Morphine on the other hand.....holy ****.