ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports The OFFICIAL Division vs Wild Card Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285605)

cmh6476 08-10-2014 06:35 PM

The OFFICIAL Division vs Wild Card Thread

Yeah I know we have quite a few Royals threads trending right now, but I've seen this mentioned enough in various threads throughout the season, I wonder if it doesn't deserve it's own thread.

And this doesn't have to be just a Royals discussion for that matter, because this really applies to any team. I mean it basically happened to the Cards the first year it went into effect, didn't it? So they got to see the results in action right from the get-go.

But the thing is, I think you really can only look at the wild card as an afterthought and if you aren't going to be able to win the division. Your focus has to be on the division, because I really feel the disadvantage is such that it is going to be very very difficult to take out the top team in the league if you are lucky enough to squeak by in the one game playoff. The system is designed so that the team with the best record in the league is favored to head into the league championship series.

If we assume Oakland ends up with the best record, and we would happen to beat LAA in a one game playoff, then what do we have to look forward to?

1. Vargas v Lester
2. Duffy v Gray
3. Shields v Samardzija
4. Ventura v Kazmir
5. Vargas v Lester

?

I think now we have more and more thinking the division is possible, but just a week or two ago I think many were just writing this off and hoping we get the last wild card just so we see something we haven't seen in awhile. I mean it would be a fun season and great to experience that, but is it really worth at any point if there is a chance to just write off the division and hope for a wild card with this setup?

Discuss.

ptlyon 08-10-2014 07:41 PM

Been over an hour since this has been posted and no takers so I'll say in (without reading it)

ChiefsCountry 08-10-2014 07:42 PM

This couldn't go in the Royals thread?

ptlyon 08-10-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10809485)

STFU We're making history

SPchief 08-10-2014 07:50 PM

Division. Always division

cmh6476 08-10-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10809485)

I've seen it go in about 3 or 10 various royals threads

Hootie 08-10-2014 09:00 PM

With the play-in format why would anyone ever shoot for a Wild Card over the Division?

lewdog 08-10-2014 09:09 PM

You dumbasses are going to jinx us.

Just STFU and keep it in the Royals thread.

cmh6476 08-11-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10809672)
You dumbasses are going to jinx us.

Just STFU and keep it in the Royals thread.

not sure what you are talking about dog, this isn't a royals thread ;)

cmh6476 10-12-2014 05:10 PM

fock I'm glad we didn't take the division now.