ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Downpayments for home remodeling/repairs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348760)

Jenson71 05-17-2023 10:13 AM

Downpayments for home remodeling/repairs

Is this common, in your experience or your knowledge, to put a down payment on a cosmetic home remodeling project (e.g., windows, roof, siding)? Would you do it?

Why Not? 05-17-2023 10:16 AM

If it’s a well know, reputable company or on recommendation of a trusted person, sure. Some dude off of Facebook or something, no ****ing way.

loochy 05-17-2023 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 16948198)
If it’s a well know, reputable company or on recommendation of a trusted person, sure. Some dude off of Facebook or something, no ****ing way.

This.

Or maybe workout something with smaller interval progress payouts no neither side gets screwed.

Jewish Rabbi 05-17-2023 10:19 AM

I just do my own shit so I don’t have to worry about it.

Bearcat 05-17-2023 10:21 AM

Many times it's either 50% or parts for reputable companies, then you pay the rest/labor when they complete the work.

I'd put it on a credit card if you can (and of course sign a contract), makes it far easier to get back. I had a company go bankrupt between the time I paid the first half and the time they were scheduled, and Chase refunded more quickly than filing paperwork with the contractor's association.

DJJasonp 05-17-2023 10:41 AM

I had to report a contractor to the California board of contractors......

In California, contractors can ask for a deposit of a maximum of 10% of the total cost of the project.

Buehler445 05-17-2023 10:45 AM

Quote:

This. If you know ****all about them tell them to bill you weekly with receipts.

I haven't done it, but I watched Dad do it and got the Tshirt. **** that. With a D9 Cat.

But if it's someone reputable, sure. No problem.

DaFace 05-17-2023 10:47 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't hire the rando on Facebook in the first place, but if I was forced to, I would expect to put at least some money down in advance. It's unlikely that most contractors would front all the money for materials on their own.

Things like windows, in particular, have to be custom built, so it's reasonable that a contractor wouldn't want to take on a bunch of non-refundable materials for someone who might flake out on them.

I think the more important thing here is to fully vet whoever you're hiring to the point that you're not worried about them running away with your money.

Reroka 05-17-2023 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 16948193)
Is this common, in your experience or your knowledge, to put a down payment on a cosmetic home remodeling project (e.g., windows, roof, siding)? Would you do it?

A facebook company? No no in hell. A reputable company that you can confirm and have a written contract, I would have no issue paying up to 40% up front.

PHOG 05-17-2023 11:07 AM

We had our windows replaced, and they required 25% down. Very reputable company, so we had no problem with it, and they custom built the windows. 3 months later they were in.

el borracho 05-17-2023 11:14 AM

Quote:

This... but also, you can sometimes arrange to pay the materials directly.

For example, if the job requires lumber you can have the contractor put together an order at the lumber yard then phone in the payment to the lumber yard. Or perhaps go to the lumber yard with the contractor and pay directly.

tyecopeland 05-17-2023 11:15 AM

Just had a basement finishing done. Contract called for 25% due at signing. Ended up being more like 30% after total costs were calculated. I wouldn't want to be in it for more than that typically. My remodel upstairs, company asked for probably close to 25% the day they showed up to work (but I had bought 90% of the materials for that job)

2bikemike 05-17-2023 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 16948300)
This... but also, you can sometimes arrange to pay the materials directly.

For example, if the job requires lumber you can have the contractor put together an order at the lumber yard then phone in the payment to the lumber yard. Or perhaps go to the lumber yard with the contractor and pay directly.

This right here is how I like to go. I use my credit card that earns rewards. Nothing like a good reno job to earn points for a free flight to Belize!

I would not put more than 25% down, and I would hold the final 25% back until your are satisfied with the job. Keep a running punch list of items you want corrected as the project rolls along.

Communication is key when dealing with contractors. Everything should be spelled out in writing on what is expected, work required, payment schedules etc. Don't ever rely on a verbal promise.

ModSocks 05-17-2023 11:38 AM

Materials only imo.

I can't tell you how many times ive seen people get ****ed over by paying guys for work in advance, at least in the auto industry.

BigRedChief 05-17-2023 11:41 AM

Got the roof replaced and they wanted half up front. I needed my dock rebuilt. Around the same total price, they only asked to buy the wood for the dock up front.