ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Healthy food substitutes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290645)

In58men 02-15-2015 10:16 PM

Healthy food substitutes

I'm hoping this thread can help those who are trying to better themselves. Please share some healthy food substitutions if you have any. Thank you.

1. Replace mayo and sour cream with plain Greek yogurt. Use Greek yogurt with your tuna, egg salads and chicken salads.

2. Use cauliflower instead of potatoes when wanting mashed potatoes. Steam the cauliflower and blend with a pinch of salt and pepper. Be careful with the butter. Also cauliflower makes a great pizza crust.

3. Try to use jelly instead of syrup and butter when eating pancakes.

4. Use oatmeal as binder instead of breadcrumbs when making meatloaf, hamburgers, meat balls etc etc.

5. Use unsweetened applesauce for a GREAT substitute for butter. Don't knock it until you've tried it. It has the exact same consistency and texture as butter.

Lonewolf Ed 02-15-2015 10:19 PM

I can't do these things.

Buehler445 02-15-2015 10:23 PM

Salsa as opposed to dressing on salads.

In58men 02-15-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11328630)
Salsa as opposed to dressing on salads.

Interesting. Thank you sir.

Simply Red 02-15-2015 10:29 PM

Spaghetti squash versus potatoes, sugar free yogurt, not fat free - SUGAR free. Also bananas - keep healthy non bullshit cereal on hand - I keep lean cutlets of turkey - red onion - yogurt based Caesar dressing, arugula - Spring Mountain Farms chicken breasts, thin 90-cal Sargento sharp cheddar. Umm Greek yogurt 80 calorie dannon. Water all of the ****ing time. Oats, not any other bread items (IMO) - ground sirloin a decent barbque sauce a decent hot sauce - frozen tilapia - fresh tilapia. Strawberries, cherries, plums, oranges.

Just shop that way inmen - and you'll eat better automatically.

Simply Red 02-15-2015 10:30 PM

Green apples and nat peanut butter.

Saulbadguy 02-15-2015 10:32 PM

I like to dissect girls.

BucEyedPea 02-15-2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 11328622)

5. Use unsweetened applesauce for a GREAT substitute for butter. Don't knock it until you've tried it. It has the exact same consistency and texture as butter.

Yes I use this myself.

In58men 02-15-2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11328638)
Spaghetti squash versus potatoes, sugar free yogurt, not fat free - SUGAR free. Also bananas - keep healthy non bullshit cereal on hand - I keep lean cutlets of turkey - red onion - yogurt based Caesar dressing, arugula - Spring Mountain Farms chicken breasts, thin 90-cal Sargento sharp cheddar. Umm Greek yogurt 80 calorie dannon. Water all of the ****ing time. Oats, not any other bread items (IMO) - ground sirloin a decent barbque sauce a decent hot sauce - frozen tilapia - fresh tilapia. Strawberries, cherries, plums, oranges.

Just shop that way inmen - and you'll eat better automatically.

I definitely need to try spaghetti squash, not sure why I keep putting it off.

TribalElder 02-15-2015 10:39 PM

But why are bamboo pillows so hawt

Ming the Merciless 02-15-2015 10:40 PM

Spaghetti squash to replace pasta

It's Damn good if you roast it

I honestly think it's almost as good and makes me feel good too

Bugeater 02-15-2015 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 11328622)

2. Use cauliflower in stead of potatoes when wanting mashed potatoes. Steam the cauliflower and blend with a pinch of salt and pepper. Be careful with the butter.

We've done this before and it's ****ing awful. I'd rather just do without potatoes.

BucEyedPea 02-15-2015 10:43 PM

If you want wheat substitutes or gluten free:

I use millet flour for crispy crusts if I need to fry something like fish. It's very mild. Could also use cornmeal even coarse grained.

In fact my bread is a millet bread with flax and no yeast. It's really good. It looks like a light rye.

Arrowroot instead of corn starch. Or even Xanthan gum which works in hot or cold recipes. Great for thickening up a smoothie.

Spelt flour is another good substitute for wheat but is not gluten free. Rudy's spelt tortilla's come in whole grain and white. Taste like the real thing but is even better for baked goods and pastries because it's lighter due to lower gluten. It is used in pastries in Europe for this reason and gives better rise. Vita Spelt sells spaghetti, angel hair pasta, elbows, spirals and lasagne noodles in white and whole grain. I use it extensively. But there is also rice flour whole and white for those who want no gluten at all. I haven't used that much though.

http://www.molecularrecipes.com/hydr...e/xanthan-gum/

Stevia for calorie free sweetner.

I'll think of more later. I've experimented with lots of substitutes.

BucEyedPea 02-15-2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 11328660)
We've done this before and it's ****ing awful. I'd rather just do without potatoes.

I agree. Tried it. It only looks white and fluffy.

Man I hate cauliflower until I tried it roasted and then smashed for a creamy soup. Only the browning from the roasting saved it for me.

BucEyedPea 02-15-2015 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 11328655)
But why are bamboo pillows so hawt

Beats me. I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

Best pillow is the My Pillow. It never flattens. I even have a travel one.