ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto brake line fitting (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268378)

Tylerthigpen!1! 01-03-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9272234)
I'd strongly advise against doing this unless you've done it before. Snipping brake lines and redoing a line is extremely dangerous as the length and diameters of these lines are precisely measured and crafted.

Not true. Done it a couple times.

Exoter175 01-03-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tylerthigpen!1! (Post 9272297)
Not true. Done it a couple times.

Um, what is not true?

The only statement of fact in there is that they are precisely measured and crafted. If you are so much as 1/16th of an inch off on making your own brake lines, your brake balance will be off, period, guaranteed, end of story.

You also said you have done it a couple times, which was the qualifier in my statement that if you hadn't, you probably shouldn't.

Tylerthigpen!1! 01-03-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9272321)
Um, what is not true?

The only statement of fact in there is that they are precisely measured and crafted. If you are so much as 1/16th of an inch off on making your own brake lines, your brake balance will be off, period, guaranteed, end of story.

You also said you have done it a couple times, which was the qualifier in my statement that if you hadn't, you probably shouldn't.

I'd be willing to bet this is a farm truck. I dont think the length matters. The flare tool is a die that makes accurate flares. I think MO is experienced enough with tools to not **** it up. I see where you are coming from and given the fact that i am just a shade tree mechanic you could be right but brake lines are a common fix. Especially on the drums. I think rear brakes supply around 20% of the braking power.

Exoter175 01-03-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tylerthigpen!1! (Post 9272357)
I'd be willing to bet this is a farm truck. I dont think the length matters. The flare tool is a die that makes accurate flares. I think MO is experienced enough with tools to not **** it up. I see where you are coming from and given the fact that i am just a shade tree mechanic you could be right but brake lines are a common fix. Especially on the drums. I think rear brakes supply around 20% of the braking power.

I am an ASE certified mechanic, brake lines are not a common fix, and I assure you that they are length specific on every application with any form of pressurized fluid braking system.

SAUTO 01-03-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9272391)
I am an ASE certified mechanic, brake lines are not a common fix, and I assure you that they are length specific on every application with any form of pressurized fluid braking system.

lol
Posted via Mobile Device

crispystl 01-03-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exoter175 (Post 9272391)

Maybe so but... I'm no mechanic and I've cut out a few brake lines and used those fittings to splice in a new section. This was just for small cars though, but it worked fine.

SAUTO 01-03-2013 07:50 PM

I have fixed probably over five hundred brake lines, I can guarantee a sixteenth of an inch on an eight foot section of isn't hurting a thing.

Dude is crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlaChief58 01-03-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9276453)
I have fixed probably over five hundred brake lines, I can guarantee a sixteenth of an inch on an eight foot section of isn't hurting a thing.

Dude is crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device

But, he's ASE certified!

SAUTO 01-03-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9276628)
But, he's ASE certified!

Don't believe everything you read.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlaChief58 01-03-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9276659)
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL They cant put anything on the internet if it isn't true

SAUTO 01-03-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9276685)
ROFL They cant put anything on the internet if it isn't true

Damn really? Learn something every day
Posted via Mobile Device

Exoter175 01-03-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 9276435)
Maybe so but... I'm no mechanic and I've cut out a few brake lines and used those fittings to splice in a new section. This was just for small cars though, but it worked fine.

I'm not saying you can't use the fittings, I'm saying don't do it if you don't know what you are doing. If you know what you are doing, by all means, have at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9276453)

Dude is crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, a whole 500 brake lines? You must be the best in the business.

Tell me, oh great one, what happens when one brake line is shorter than the other?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9276628)
But, he's ASE certified!

Care to see my certs?:spock:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9276659)
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you ever even worked for a dealership and gone through any form of training? Or are you one of those shadetree "I have a garage" types who opened up a "shop" to run a sidejob repair business out of?

Dayze 01-03-2013 09:32 PM

shit just got real

JoeyChuckles 01-03-2013 09:32 PM

Turn the middle side topwise...topwise!

Exoter175 01-03-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9277136)
shit just got real

I bet all of his tools say Husky or Stanley ROFL