ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto brake line fitting (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268378)

TimeForWasp 01-02-2013 06:48 PM

brake lines are made to be broken.

Buehler445 01-02-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9270337)
I use these in plumbing, but I don't see why it wouldn't work here

Eh. Brakes have a LOT of pressure on them. Would not try.

Radar Chief 01-02-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9270312)
I don't know of any way to do this. The flair fitting is done by machine and it has to be precise.

I've got a line flare press, they're not expensive or hard to use. It wouldn't surprise me if O'Reilly's has one for rent.

Tough situation MO, about the only way I've gotten out of it is to either soak the fitting with some good penetrating oil then work it back and forth with a wrench while continuing to hose it down with the penetrating oil, or like you mentioned cut it out and splice around it.

Buehler445 01-02-2013 07:02 PM

Have you tried fuel line wrenches?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...CPGsXHAcFvH_we

I know you can't do a goddamn thing with a fuel line without it.

If it were me, I'd get a small pair of channel lock pliers, **** it up getting it loose and replace the fitting when it goes back together.

Radar Chief 01-02-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9270413)

Besides, there's special compression fittings just for brake lines, no sense in trying to make a plumbing fitting work.

KCSPORTSNUT 01-02-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 9269625)
Busted the line at the fitting on the rear passenger side today. I can't get the fitting off, it seems really soft on both ends. Box wrench and socket wanted to round the edges with the slightest amount of torque. Special tool of tricks?

Orielly didn't know the diameter of.the line either. My chiltons didn't have specs that I seen. I assumed its 3/16.

year make and model need more info and i can help you

SAUTO 01-02-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9270413)

They sell brass compression fitting for brake lines. I use them sometimes.

Or rent oreilly's flaring tool.

Or pinch that ****er off and drive up here and I'll fix it
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace Gunner 01-02-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9270420)
I've got a line flare press, they're not expensive or hard to use. It wouldn't surprise me if O'Reilly's has one for rent.

Tough situation MO, about the only way I've gotten out of it is to either soak the fitting with some good penetrating oil then work it back and forth with a wrench while continuing to hose it down with the penetrating oil, or like you mentioned cut it out and splice around it.

well then send it to him :D He's going to want to use it with the line connected in place, so I hope the damn thing is small enough to use under the vehicle.

Ace Gunner 01-02-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9270456)
They sell brass compression fitting for brake lines. I use them sometimes.

Or rent oreilly's flaring tool.

Or pinch that ****er off and drive up here and I'll fix it
Posted via Mobile Device

or... ya. **** brakes. especially drums:#

SAUTO 01-02-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9271685)
or... ya. **** brakes. especially drums:#

Dude don't come at me like that. Especially after your post saying a flaring press couldn't fit under his truck.

Guarandamtee mo could drove that truck to me with one brake lone pinched off to the rear.

I wouldn't recommend it on the front though
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 01-02-2013 10:11 PM

My flaring tool , that will do up to 1/2" line, is hand held
Posted via Mobile Device

Exoter175 01-02-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9270423)
Have you tried fuel line wrenches?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...CPGsXHAcFvH_we

I know you can't do a goddamn thing with a fuel line without it.

If it were me, I'd get a small pair of channel lock pliers, **** it up getting it loose and replace the fitting when it goes back together.

This, although they are technically just generally called "line" wrenches, as they work for specifically brake and fuel lines due to the nature of the fitting.

Don't **** with brake lines without the proper tools. Probably the one area where the Risk really isn't worth the reward, and 9 times out of 10 it leads to a massive headache.

lostcause 01-02-2013 11:56 PM

PB Blaster and/or a torch?

Tylerthigpen!1! 01-03-2013 12:11 AM

If you cant get it off, say **** it and clip the line. A new brake cylinder is ten bucks. Thats what the brake line is screwing into. You can buy a new length of brake line for 10-15 doll hairs. Rent the flair tool and buy a mini pipe cutter. Easy as pie. The flair tool tells you when to stop. Also do not let the master go dry. I have a feeling you know but you never know who is reading this.

Exoter175 01-03-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tylerthigpen!1! (Post 9272222)
If you cant get it off, say **** it and clip the line. A new brake cylinder is ten bucks. Thats what the brake line is screwing into. You can buy a new length of brake line for 10-15 doll hairs. Rent the flair tool and buy a mini pipe cutter. Easy as pie. The flair tool tells you when to stop. Also do not let the master go dry. I have a feeling you know but you never know who is reading this.

I'd strongly advise against doing this unless you've done it before. Snipping brake lines and redoing a line is extremely dangerous as the length and diameters of these lines are precisely measured and crafted.