ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The one thing we can look forward to: the league's best OL. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272750)

Direckshun 05-03-2013 02:02 PM

The one thing we can look forward to: the league's best OL.

Last year, PFF gave the Chiefs the 12th best line.

That's even with Albert missing games, Ryan Lilja playing center, Jeff Allen playing poorly, and Stephenson having to play left tackle for five games.

12th best line.

Now, the Chiefs are better. If you're a fan of the trenches, and I know most of us on this site are not, but I unapologetically am:

Albert's healthy. Hudson's back. Allen's getting competition from Geoff Schwartz, and we're replacing Winston with Eric ****ing Fisher.

LT: Albert
LG: Allen/Schwartz
C: Hudson
RG: Asamoah
RT: Fisher

Here are last year's top 5 OLs:

1st: 49ers

LT: Joe Staley
LG: Mike Iupati
C: Jonathan Goodwin
RG: Alex Boone
RT: Anthony Davis

2nd: Patriots

LT: Nate Solder
LG: Logan Mankins
C: Ryan Wendell
RG: Dan Connelly
RT: Sebastian Vollmer

3rd: Jets

LT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
LG: Willie Colon
C: Nick Mangold
RG: Matt Slausen
RT: Austin Howard

4th: Broncos

LT: Ryan Clady
LG: Zane Beadles
C: JD Walton
RG: Louis Vasquez
RT: Orlando Franklin

5th: Cleveland Browns

LT: Joe Thomas
LG: Jason Pinkston
C: Alex Mack
RG: Shaun Lauvao
RT: Mitchell Schwartz

I think we can make a run at this group in 2013.

Mr_Tomahawk 05-03-2013 02:06 PM

TRUE FAN GIF

notorious 05-03-2013 02:07 PM

3 of the top 5 have something in common.......

SuperChief 05-03-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9655275)
TRUE FAN GIF

Please. Teach us all how to be so cool.

Canofbier 05-03-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9655276)

I see what you're getting at (and agree, for the most part), but I'm not sure that this is the data set you should be using to try and make that point. Three out of five isn't that convincing.

AdumbGuy 05-03-2013 02:17 PM

So are we shooting to replace the jets or the browns?

FWIW, I used to be a huge O-line homer as well, back in the Roaf days.

notorious 05-03-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9655298)
I see what you're getting at (and agree, for the most part), but I'm not sure that this is the data set you should be using to try and make that point. Three out of five isn't that convincing.

Elite QB's can mask some O-Line deficiencies. That's pretty much it.

Hammock Parties 05-03-2013 02:20 PM

Can't wait for "the best line in the league" to give up 40 sacks thanks to Alex Myth.

Halfcan 05-03-2013 02:20 PM

Not to mention we will have a blocking TE and a new Fullback to block. Our running game should lead the NFL again.

Mr. Laz 05-03-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9655276)

and 2 of the 5 don't

dam close to 50/50 for all the bitching that goes on about it

Buckweath 05-03-2013 02:36 PM

We should definitly have a top 10 oline this year. But a good oline won't make a qb look that much better as we saw with Cassell. Granted its Cassell but still...

the Talking Can 05-03-2013 02:44 PM

yeah, the Chiefs have won their superbowl...BEST OL EVAR

Mike in SW-MO 05-03-2013 02:46 PM

I also like the fact we have a backup plan for center. Still cannot believe we had NO plan if Hudson sucked or got hurt.

I guess it should not surprise me since we never had a plan B at QB either

Mr. Laz 05-03-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 9655326)
We should definitly have a top 10 oline this year. But a good oline won't make a qb look that much better as we saw with Cassell. Granted its Cassell but still...

I am hoping that the combination of good Coaching/Oline/Running game will though.

I think next year Reid will make a more focused attempt at drafting a QB.

Unless Bray or Smith really surprise

Molitoth 05-03-2013 02:56 PM

Eric Fisher hasn't proven shit. He may be absolute garbage for all we know.
No point in grading lines yet.

BlackHelicopters 05-03-2013 03:08 PM

, and we're replacing Winston with Eric ****ing Fisher.

How do we now Fisher will be an upgrade? Pure garbage speculation.

Direckshun 05-03-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9655380)
How do we now Fisher will be an upgrade? Pure garbage speculation.

It's the view of basically everybody in the NFL that Fisher should be better.

Fisher is a mother****ing stud, people. You can get on the train early, or you can throw a fit.

Nightfyre 05-03-2013 03:22 PM

It will be nice to see our offense operating in space as opposed to trying to ram it up the guard's ass over and over again. Hudson will be a monster as a pulling center, imo.

Strongside 05-03-2013 03:22 PM

Wait for it....

http://i.imgur.com/xIQATuF.gif

philfree 05-03-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

That's even with Albert missing games, Ryan Lilja playing center, Jeff Allen playing poorly, and Stephenson having to play left tackle for five games
Did Allen really play that poorly? Or are the same people who say that the same ones who thought Geno Smith was going top 5 in the draft? Some of the same people who said Sanchex had the "it" factor? I'm not saying he played well but the talent evaluators around here just aren't that good.

Beef Supreme 05-03-2013 03:25 PM

That gif should be the header for this page.

notorious 05-03-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9655415)
Wait for it....

Damn you. Damn you to hell.

BigCatDaddy 05-03-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9655415)

Too Sweeeet

WhawhaWhat 05-03-2013 03:32 PM

I love your enthusiasm but none of those teams drafted a LT in the first round and none of them made the playoffs. You cannot go to the Super Bowl with a LT and RT that were drafted in the 1st round.

RunKC 05-03-2013 03:41 PM

I like your optimism Direckshun but I think we have a lot to prove. Hudson and Fisher haven't proven anything yet and Asamoah is decent.

However, Hudson and Fisher were very good prospects with a ton of upside. On paper we look solid, but we all saw what that thinking can do when we looked good "on paper" this time last year.

ChiefsCountry 05-03-2013 03:43 PM

And we Dave Kreig, Jr as our quarterback.

Fat Elvis 05-03-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9655444)
I love your enthusiasm but none of those teams drafted a LT in the first round and none of them made the playoffs. You cannot go to the Super Bowl with a LT and RT that were drafted in the 1st round.

Unless you happen to be the Ravens and 49ers....

McKinnie: pick 7
Oher: pick 23

Staley: pick 28
Davis: pick 7

Beerthirty 05-03-2013 03:46 PM

Has to be one of the youngest lines doesnt it?

MTG#10 05-03-2013 03:46 PM

Everyone said the same thing when we signed Winston.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-03-2013 04:08 PM

DON'T FORGET OUR NEW FBs AND TE!

AdumbGuy 05-03-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9655382)
It's the view of basically everybody in the NFL that Fisher should be better.

Fisher is a mother****ing stud, people. You can get on the train early, or you can throw a fit.

I like fisher, but "basically everybody in the NFL" means less than crap. Ryan Leaf, Robert Gallery, russell wilson, kapernick, etc. etc. etc.

Hell, "basically everybody" expected us to win the AFC west before the season last year.

I want to be excited about our O-line, but 2 of the 5 teams with the best O-lines were garbage and the worst team in the league, us, had a line in the top 3rd. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the need for a beastly offensive line, even before we know that a beastly offensive line is indeed what we have.

Fairplay 05-03-2013 04:20 PM

Plus we have Tommie Draheim now, hes our new amish center.

KCUnited 05-03-2013 04:26 PM

Hell yeah! Road grading Oline, wood laying D, those super cold, wide mouth aluminum Coors Light bottles in the lot. Do this.

beach tribe 05-03-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9655467)

Total ownage.

Rasputin 05-03-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9655526)
Hell yeah! Road grading Oline, wood laying D, those super cold, wide mouth aluminum Coors Light bottles in the lot. Do this.

How do you know they are super cold? Are the mountains blue?

bevischief 05-03-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9655541)
How do you know they are super cold? Are the mountains blue?

They are pink.

saphojunkie 05-03-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Yeah but what ****ing good team picks a tackle from the MAC?!?! Or Central ****ing Michigan??!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides (Post 9655499)
DON'T FORGET OUR NEW FBs AND TE!

yEAH! wHAT TEAM WOULD HAVE A ****ING FULLBACK!!

aND WHO NEEDS GOOD TIGHT ENDS!?!

saphojunkie 05-03-2013 05:20 PM

So much butthurt.

tk13 05-03-2013 05:26 PM

The Niners have 3 first round picks on their line. They can flat maul you, and Mike Solari is coaching them up. Tough to beat that combo.

Psyko Tek 05-03-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 9655326)

if Cassel had a moving force field, he still would have sucked ass

OrtonsPiercedTaint 05-03-2013 06:49 PM

3 and outs must be great for O-line grades.

Chiefaholic 05-03-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdumbGuy (Post 9655299)
So are we shooting to replace the jets or the browns?

FWIW, I used to be a huge O-line homer as well, back in the Roaf days.

Despite how "boring" the pick is, the game STILL starts in the trenches. If your line is getting pushed around like a bunch of b******, then you're not doing squat in the postseason.

the Talking Can 05-03-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefaholic (Post 9655784)
Despite how "boring" the pick is, the game STILL starts in the trenches. If your line is getting pushed around like a bunch of b******, then you're not doing squat in the postseason.

which is complete nonsense

Rodgers and Eli have both won with trash OLs....

Peyton's OL looked like shit the moment he wasn't behind center

Rothlessburger has routinely got the shit beat out of him and won

good QBs routinely make OLs look better than they are, and good OLs with shit QBs accomplish nothing

but we've got to believe OL is the most important thing....because we're Chiefs fans

no one advocated drafting a RT with the #1 pick at the end of the season - literally no one - and everyone claiming to like it now is a ****ing liar

Chiefaholic 05-03-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9655793)

good QBs routinely make OLs look better than they are, and good OLs with shit QBs accomplish nothing

but we've got to believe OL is the most important thing....because we're Chiefs fans

no one advocated drafting a RT with the #1 pick at the end of the season - literally no one - and everyone claiming to like it now is a ****ing liar

And once again...You're a ******* moron.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-03-2013 07:34 PM

Man, I can't wait for the season to start !

Again for the thirtieth ****ing time!

Cannibal 05-03-2013 07:35 PM

Let's not forget the way the Raiders DL has raped our OL the last few years. It sucks ass, we used to dominate those assholes. It used to be a given that we beat the Raiders twice a year.

Is that going to stop this season?

Cannibal 05-03-2013 07:36 PM

Hopefully Fisher will start to put an end to that shit.

Sfeihc 05-03-2013 07:37 PM

A good OL is essential to playing winning football with Alex Smith at the helm. Reid knows this team will have to play good D, run the **** out of the football and limit Smith's throws to win games consistently.

Tombstone RJ 05-03-2013 07:44 PM

kc's oline should be very good this coming season, top 5.

Mav 05-03-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9655793)

Riggght. You could have a point. If the Giants didnt draft oline in the first round this year, if the Packers dont draft o line, or d line every year first round.

In the past three years, the packers have drafted Derrick Sherrod, and Bryan Bulaga first round. So uh, yeah,

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-03-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9655807)
Let's not forget the way the Raiders DL has raped our OL the last few years. It sucks ass, we used to dominate those assholes. It used to be a given that we beat the Raiders twice a year.

Is that going to stop this season?

Unfortunately yes, It will stop. The Raiders will be picking #1 overall and Johnny Football will be destroying the AFCW for the next 15 years.

SPATCH 05-03-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdumbGuy (Post 9655507)
I like fisher, but "basically everybody in the NFL" means less than crap. Ryan Leaf, Robert Gallery, russell wilson, kapernick, etc. etc. etc.

Hell, "basically everybody" expected us to win the AFC west before the season last year.

I want to be excited about our O-line, but 2 of the 5 teams with the best O-lines were garbage and the worst team in the league, us, had a line in the top 3rd. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the need for a beastly offensive line, even before we know that a beastly offensive line is indeed what we have.

You seem like... a dumb guy.

Cannibal 05-03-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9655838)
Unfortunately yes, It will stop. The Raiders will be picking #1 overall and Johnny Football will be destroying the AFCW for the next 15 years.

So you want the Raiders DL to continue to rape our OL?

RealSNR 05-03-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9655836)
Riggght. You could have a point. If the Giants didnt draft oline in the first round this year, if the Packers dont draft o line, or d line every year first round.

In the past three years, the packers have drafted Derrick Sherrod, and Bryan Bulaga first round. So uh, yeah,

Bryan Bulaga was a rookie on that Super Bowl team. The only reason he got a chance to play was because Mark Tauscher was sent to IR by Game 5, and even then Bulaga struggled at RT.

Otherwise the highest draft pick spent on that offensive line was Chad Clifton, a former 2nd rounder who was as old as Methuselah by that point.

Buckweath 05-03-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 9655815)
A good OL is essential to playing winning football with Alex Smith at the helm. Reid knows this team will have to play good D, run the **** out of the football and limit Smith's throws to win games consistently.

Lol limit Smith's throws to win consistently? Have you followed football lately? How good this team will be will be determined in great part by how well Alex smith plays, simple as that.

the Talking Can 05-03-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9655836)

god you are ****ing stupid

Eli manning won a superbowl with an abomination of an OL, and the worst running game in the league

pretty much the same for Rodgers

maybe actually watching football, as opposed to being an Alex Smith fanboi would help you out?

when we have a franchise QB, then we can draft OL, punter, hot dog vendor, I don't give a shit...until then, drafting a RT at #1 is a sick ****ing joke

QBs make OLs...not the other way around...

Kiimo 05-03-2013 08:15 PM

Here's something else we can look forward to...

REAL OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE COORDINATORS

It is my opinion that all last year was just as much the fault of the offensive coordinator as Cassel.

Cannibal 05-03-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 9655863)

It is my opinion that all last year was just as much the fault of the offensive coordinator as Cassel.

Cassell eats giant dick, but yeah, he wasn't helped by the play calling.

Jerm 05-03-2013 08:19 PM

If he stays healthy, JC will push for 2k this year behind this line and Fasano...

Cannibal 05-03-2013 08:20 PM

Charlie Weis is a badass play caller BTW. I wish he'd stick to what he does best, which is coordinating an offense, in lieu of trying to be a shitty college head coach.

Sfeihc 05-03-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 9655857)
Lol limit Smith's throws to win consistently? Have you followed football lately? How good this team will be will be determined in great part by how well Alex smith plays, simple as that.

First trolling by a frog. Sweet. LMAO

Hammock Parties 05-03-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 9655863)

Our defensive coordinator is a big bag of nothing.

Mav 05-03-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9655859)
god you are ****ing stupid

Eli manning won a superbowl with an abomination of an OL, and the worst running game in the league

pretty much the same for Rodgers

maybe actually watching football, as opposed to being an Alex Smith fanboi would help you out?

when we have a franchise QB, then we can draft OL, punter, hot dog vendor, I don't give a shit...until then, drafting a RT at #1 is a sick ****ing joke

QBs make OLs...not the other way around...

now, try to make sense of this. Bryan Bulaga, was drafted as the Left Tackle of the future, and then they drafted DERRICK SHERROD IN THE FIRST ROUND.....Or did you miss that part? So that would make your lame attempt to own me with your chad clifton garbage?

And as far as FRANCHISE QBS go, i dont know, but when a head coach, says, WE ARE GOING TO GET ALEX SMITH INTO THE HALL OF FAME, that makes one think that your head coach is either dumb as shit, or truly believes at the very least you have a franchise qb. Your choice boss.....

Mav 05-03-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9655929)
Our defensive coordinator is a big bag of nothing.

and you know this how?

Mr. Laz 05-03-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9655444)

Quote:

owning dumbass n00bs ... it's a talent

Mr. Laz 05-03-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9655869)
Charlie Weis is a badass play caller BTW. I wish he'd stick to what he does best, which is coordinating an offense, in lieu of trying to be a shitty college head coach.

Thanks, Todd!!

Hammock Parties 05-03-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith Fan (Post 9655933)
and you know this how?

Well, look at his career.

It's not rocket science, homer.

Mav 05-03-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9655945)
Well, look at his career.

It's not rocket science, homer.

how am i a homer, commenting on a former jets defensive coach? lol

All im saying is that you have to give the guy a chance to run his own scheme before you bang on him.

mcaj22 05-03-2013 09:16 PM

when you invest

2 first round picks
2 second round picks
2 third round picks

i hope ****ing so you have the best line in the NFL, because it's pathetic if you dont. But hey that's the Chiefs, wasting high picks on shitty players

in 6 picks we passed on a lot of good talent over the years for this oline.

AussieChiefsFan 05-03-2013 09:17 PM

Just. Wait. For. Charles. BEAST MODE.

Cannibal 05-03-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9655976)
Just. Wait. For. Charles. BEAST MODE.

Gonna be fun to watch. With Reid, I expect some insane screen passes involving Jamaal Charles. I'm talking, 40-50+ yarders multiple times during the year.

mcaj22 05-03-2013 09:26 PM

id pretty much rather any of the players picked after any of these oline ****s we drafted.

Instead of Albert could have had Flacco
instead of Asamoah could have Navarro Bowman, Jimmy Graham, Emmanuel Sanders, etc
instead of Hudson could have had Randall Cobb, Torrey Smith
instead of Jeff Allen could have had Kendell Reyes, Bobby Wagner, Zach Brown, Mychael Kendricks, ****ing anybody really
instead of Donald Stephenson could have had Russel ****ing Wilson
instead of Eric Fisher could have had... anyone worth a shit

you couldnt **** these picks up more really

dont counter with hindsight, for every one of these o-lineman there have been more really good players picked right after all them than shitty, and even then its like 60-70% chance a good player than a crappy one with the players picked after them in the same round. I'd take that chance if it lands me a good QB, WR, LB, DL player over an OL any day of the week, and in this case, it proves it for ALL OF THEM

the point stands, we missed out on a lot of good players that could have impacted this franchise a hell of a lot more than any of these o-lineman ever can or will.

Mr. Laz 05-03-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9655987)
Gonna be fun to watch. With Reid, I expect some insane screen passes involving Jamaal Charles. I'm talking, 40-50+ yarders multiple times during the year.

When is the last time we had an offense that could even run a screen properly?

must of been Vermeil ... that's pretty sad.

Mr. Laz 05-03-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9656010)
id pretty much rather any of the players picked after any of these oline ****s we drafted.

Instead of Albert could have had Flacco
instead of Asamoah could have Navarro Bowman, Jimmy Graham, Emmanuel Sanders, etc
instead of Hudson could have had Randall Cobb, Torrey Smith
instead of Jeff Allen could have had Kendell Reyes, Bobby Wagner, Zach Brown, Mychael Kendricks, ****ing anybody really
instead of Donald Stephenson could have had Russel ****ing Wilson
instead of Eric Fisher could have had... anyone worth a shit

you couldnt **** these picks up more really

dont counter with hindsight, for every one of these o-lineman there have been more really good players picked right after all them than shitty, and even then its like 60-70% chance a good player than a crappy one with the players picked after them in the same round. I'd take that chance if it lands me a good QB, WR, LB, DL player over an OL any day of the week, and in this case, it proves it for ALL OF THEM

how in the hell did you get off my iggy list?

welp ......

aturnis 05-03-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9655431)
Did Allen really play that poorly? Or are the same people who say that the same ones who thought Geno Smith was going top 5 in the draft? Some of the same people who said Sanchex had the "it" factor? I'm not saying he played well but the talent evaluators around here just aren't that good.

So saying Geno should go top 5 makes one a bad talent evaluator? Many highly respected guys in the business stated they'd be shocked if he didn't go top 5. Add to that shortly after Geno's pro day, Mayock said based solely on talent, Geno is a top 10 prospect.

We now know there were off the field factors that are likely responsible for his fall.

Get a clue.

BigCatDaddy 05-03-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9656123)
So saying Geno should go top 5 makes one a bad talent evaluator? Many highly respected guys in the business stated they'd be shocked if he didn't go top 5. Add to that shortly after Geno's pro day, Mayock said based solely on talent, Geno is a top 10 prospect.

We now know there were off the field factors that are likely responsible for his fall.

Get a clue.

Kurt Warner was in love with the guy at the combine. It's pretty obvious lack of tangibles was not the reason for slipping.

philfree 05-03-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9656123)

Get a clue.

Panties bunch much? They also said he wasn't ready to start which is almost a contradiction. Normally a top 10 QB is a starter from the get go. Those guys were talking out of both sides of their mouths. I don't really want to discuss Geno anymore and I hope Allen steps up his game and makes things really competitive.

Screw Geno!

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-03-2013 11:14 PM

Sweet Christ this is pathetically sad.
Posted via Mobile Device

R8RFAN 05-04-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9655358)
Eric Fisher hasn't proven shit. He may be absolute garbage for all we know.
No point in grading lines yet.

I remember this can't miss LT named Gallery that was just an average guard and is not even in the league 10 years after his drafting.

WhawhaWhat 05-04-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9655938)
owning dumbass n00bs ... it's a talent

Wait wait wait... the next thing your gonna tell me is that all of those teams drafted a LT in the first round. You really got me....