ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chris Jones clearly has eyes on the future (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323590)

Stargazer 06-26-2019 07:48 AM

Chris Jones clearly has eyes on the future

Following latest comments, this could get a bit messier than I had previously thought.

https://gasnsports.com/chris-jones

Eleazar 06-26-2019 07:51 AM

Great player, proven commodity, no character issues, no injury issues, at a premium position. Pay the man.

Rain Man 06-26-2019 08:00 AM

I'm wondering if he misunderstood the one-day contract comment that was aimed toward Hali, and was simply saying that he still has a decade to play.

Either that, or he was just saying that he's not looking forward to training camp starting.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I'm not seeing negative omens here.

ptlyon 06-26-2019 08:03 AM

Not going to read it, but if RM says it, I believe it is so.

Prison Bitch 06-26-2019 08:03 AM

Why is it a “premium position”?

No it’s not.

tatorhog 06-26-2019 08:07 AM

Just pay him, he's good.

We shouldn't have dropped down to the 2nd round to take him. Should have just taken him at 28 instead of 37, and had that extra year of cheapie pay.

Skyy God 06-26-2019 08:11 AM

Chris Jones appears to have contracted a mild case of EB29 spirit-itus.

AdolfOliverBush 06-26-2019 08:16 AM

He's the 2nd best interior lineman in the league, and the best player on this defense until someone else proves otherwise. Pay him.

Sorce 06-26-2019 08:19 AM

Don't overpay him, Chiefs have leverage here, let him play his contract fine him for every day he's not there, let him be a RFA see if the market wants to pay him for sitting most of a year.

In58men 06-26-2019 08:24 AM

Maybe Veach is waiting to extend Jones until this Hill shit is over so he can structure both new contracts around each other?

Possible?

staylor26 06-26-2019 08:28 AM

Ummm...

He’s literally saying he’s not in a rush to get to retirement. That’s it.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-26-2019 08:32 AM

Meh.

It's been reported on here several different times, from various sources, that he HAS to report to training camp by Aug. 6th (due to being on a rookie deal) or he loses an accrued season and would be a restricted FA after this season rather than a standard FA.

He may not show TILL then, but he'll be there . . . . . . . and play his butt off this year because he clearly wants to get paid the big money.

Not worried at all. He'll be balling out again this year on a cheap price tag if they don't get a deal done.

Sorce 06-26-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14322814)
Maybe Veach is waiting to extend Jones until this Hill shit is over so he can structure both new contracts around each other?

Possible?

I think it's likely that Jones wants Frank Clark money for one good year. The Chiefs were hoping to give him less to get him his money earlier and he isn't seeing it that way.

His options are:
1) Not play, lose the year he's in the same spot next season.
2) Not play till week 10, become RFA hope he played well enough in that 6 weeks to get a big contract that the Chiefs have the option to match or get draft compensation.
3) Take less get guaranteed money and play.
4) Show up and play this season become an UFA and sign somewhere else or get tagged.

The Chiefs have the leverage here, if he plays hardball I think he loses.

ThyKingdomCome15 06-26-2019 08:36 AM

We were just about to ink Hill, we traded for and paid Clark, and we kinda left Jones on the back burner. I'm sure he isn't feeling the love right now.

A question I have is does Veach and company value Clark more than Jones? I will say Clark had 14 sacks with half the supporting cast of Jones. Clark was all the Seahawks had.

Another question I have is what's the chances of Chiefs franchising Jones and trading him like they did Ford? It would not shock me if a team signed Jones off the tag, alas two first round picks.

KC kid 06-26-2019 08:41 AM

He has to play. He has no leverage this year. If he wants guaranteed money early, it has to come at a discount. This is pretty simple.

Aspengc8 06-26-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 14322832)
We were just about to ink Hill, we traded for and paid Clark, and we kinda left Jones on the back burner. I'm sure he isn't feeling the love right now.

A question I have is does Veach and company value Clark more than Jones? I will say Clark had 14 sacks with half the supporting cast of Jones. Clark was all the Seahawks had.

Another question I have is what's the chances of Chiefs franchising Jones and trading him like they did Ford?

Clark played out the last year of his contract with no guarantee's. Jones had a great season last year- Chiefs don't want another Dee Ford situation thats all.

Red Dawg 06-26-2019 08:43 AM

No worth his price. He needs to come down to reality. Where was he when we get ran over on the ground? Sacks mean shit. Not that important of a stat.

Dante84 06-26-2019 08:45 AM

Guys this whole article is dumb because the writer misread the tweet. He’s saying he can wait until he gets a one day contract in retirement (DJ/JC) because he has a decade more to play.

Eleazar 06-26-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14322844)
No worth his price. He needs to come down to reality. Where was he when we get ran over on the ground? Sacks mean shit. Not that important of a stat.

LMAO

threebag 06-26-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 14322807)
Don't overpay him, Chiefs have leverage here, let him play his contract fine him for every day he's not there, let him be a RFA see if the market wants to pay him for sitting most of a year.

So they will cave

O.city 06-26-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 14322826)
Meh.

It's been reported on here several different times, from various sources, that he HAS to report to training camp by Aug. 6th (due to being on a rookie deal) or he loses an accrued season and would be a restricted FA after this season rather than a standard FA.

He may not show TILL then, but he'll be there . . . . . . . and play his butt off this year because he clearly wants to get paid the big money.

Not worried at all. He'll be balling out again this year on a cheap price tag if they don't get a deal done.

He'll show up then.

Not be in football shape and end up hurt.

ThyKingdomCome15 06-26-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 14322842)
Clark played out the last year of his contract with no guarantee's. Jones had a great season last year- Chiefs don't want another Dee Ford situation thats all.

That's a great point on Clark manning up and playing out his contract. Wouldn't surprise me if Jones has to wait a year to get paid.

ChiTown 06-26-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14322844)

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads...04/wut-gif.gif

TomBarndtsTwin 06-26-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14322863)
He'll show up then.

Well, if that ends up happening, that’s on him and his agent.

And the Chiefs will have probably dodged the bullet on another huge over the market contract (see: Berry, Houston) that comes back to bite them later.

So Chiefs win either way as far as I’m concerned.

I like Jones and would like to see him a part of the team going forward, but it needs to be at a fair price. At this point, Jones has a LOT more to lose than the Chiefs.

O.city 06-26-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 14322891)
Well, if that ends up happening, that’s on him and his agent.

And the Chiefs will have probably dodged the bullet on another huge over the market contract (see: Berry, Houston) that comes back to bite them later.

So Chiefs win either way as far as I’m concerned.

I like Jones and would like to see him a part of the team going forward, but it needs to be at a fair price. At this point, Jones has a LOT more to lose than the Chiefs.

The Chiefs need Jones to play well in order to win this year and be a superbowl contender.

He gets hurt ala the franchise tag holdouts tend to do and is in and out of the lineup with a hammy or groin or something, it hurts the Chiefs on the field.

Hoover 06-26-2019 09:32 AM

We value Jones. Don't let this "fake" drama confuse you.

This gets done, likely before training camp. I get why he wants Frank Clark type money, you would too. Its all part of the process. If Carl Petersen was the GM I'd be nervous. Veach gets this done. I have no doubt.

Tyreek is the difficult one.

Hell I think I'd lock up Fuller while I'm at it if I'm Veach. I don't know what I'd do with Tyreek. That's a really difficult situation.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-26-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14322895)
The Chiefs need Jones to play well in order to win this year and be a superbowl contender.

He gets hurt ala the franchise tag holdouts tend to do and is in and out of the lineup with a hammy or groin or something, it hurts the Chiefs on the field.

Yes, they are a better team on the field with him than without him, but, again, if he chooses to do something that jeopardizes his financial future, that’s on him and his agent, not the Chiefs.

He’s a great player, but he’s not irreplaceable. Patrick Mahomes is the ONLY player on this team that gets that designation.

If he’s more concerned about being the highest paid DT (or close to) than being a key defensive cog on a potential Super Bowl winning team, then his loss.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-26-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 14322909)

This gets done, likely before training camp. I get why he wants Frank Clark type money, you would too. Its all part of the process. If Carl Petersen was the GM I'd be nervous. Veach gets this done. I have no doubt.

Hell I think I'd lock up Fuller while I'm at it if I'm Veach. I don't know what I'd do with Tyreek. That's a really difficult situation.

If that is all he and his agent are wanting, this deal would have already been done by now.

Eleazar 06-26-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 14322909)

I agree. Jones is just doing what is in his best interest, positioning for the contract talks. You don't let a player like that get away, Veach will get it done.

Hill doesn't fit the mold of a guy you give a big money, long term deal to - he has obvious character issues and when he loses a step he won't be worth what the contract is paying. I know that on CP people think he's the fastest player in the NFL by 3 steps, but the reality is that when his speed declines he won't be worth elite money.

You pay Jones, and if Hill stays out of trouble and wants to sign a deal that is friendly to the team, and you can squeeze him in with other priorities, ok. Otherwise you continue stockpiling talent at the skill positions on offense and let someone else overpay him.

Molitoth 06-26-2019 09:54 AM

Chris Jones was on the field last year and the Defense was garbage.

The biggest difference maker is going to be the subtraction of Bob Sutton and the addition of a 4-3 scheme.

While I like Chris Jones, he doesn't have the leverage... see how he plays in the NFL under Spags... and if he will be worth it in the future.

staylor26 06-26-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14322863)
He'll show up then.

Lol, I get being concerned, but you talk like it’s a guarantee that he will get hurt. Like I said beforee, Donald and Mack were both fine last year. Stop with this doom and gloom bullshit.

The guy is working his ass off in Miami right now. It’s obvious he’s been working out a ton and is in great shape if you follow him on social media.

Molitoth 06-26-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 14322934)
Hill doesn't fit the mold of a guy you give a big money, long term deal to - he has obvious character issues and when he loses a step he won't be worth what the contract is paying. I know that on CP people think he's the fastest player in the NFL by 3 steps, but the reality is that when his speed declines he won't be worth elite money.

Have you seen the way Tyreek fights for the ball?

I'd say that's a bit more important than speed considering MANY other NFL greats weren't as fast.

O.city 06-26-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

I agree. Jones is just doing what is in his best interest, positioning for the contract talks. You don't let a player like that get away, Veach will get it done.

You pay Jones, and if Hill stays out of trouble and wants to sign a deal that is friendly to the team, and you can squeeze him in with other priorities, ok. Otherwise you continue stockpiling talent at the skill positions on offense and let someone else overpay him.

Hill is the best football player on the team, outside of the QB. He's a top 10 player in the NFL.

It's not like he's on the cliff of speed decline.

staylor26 06-26-2019 09:59 AM

LMAO

Hill’s speed won’t decline before his second contract is up.

O.city 06-26-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14322941)
Lol, I get being concerned, but you talk like it’s a guarantee that he will get hurt. Like I said beforee, Donald and Mack were both fine last year. Stop with this doom and gloom bullshit.

The guy is working his ass off in Miami right now. It’s obvious he’s been working out a ton and is in great shape if you follow him on social media.

Working out and actually playing football are different. That's obvious.

Donald and Mack are legitimate HOF'ers. Chris Jones isn't on that level at this point.

It happens every year man. Guys that miss camp, come in and play are at a higher risk of injury.

Nothing is a guarantee, it's football. Maybe he comes out with rocket shoes and flies to the moon the first game. Hell if I know.

But I do know, missing the physicality of football then trying to jump back into it can lead to injury.

Eleazar 06-26-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 14322946)
Have you seen the way Tyreek fights for the ball?

I'd say that's a bit more important than speed considering MANY other NFL greats weren't as fast.

I guess we're about due for another albatross contract

Molitoth 06-26-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 14322966)
I guess we're about due for another albatross contract

I guess we'll see what's more important.

Investing in the #1 offense in the NFL or investing long term contracts in one of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Point is, there is no reason to move now... the Chiefs have another season to see what they have.

O.city 06-26-2019 10:05 AM

Defensive lineman with whipsers of taking plays off or going off script don't exactly have a great track record of playing well after getting paid a monster deal.

staylor26 06-26-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14322962)
Working out and actually playing football are different. That's obvious.

Donald and Mack are legitimate HOF'ers. Chris Jones isn't on that level at this point.

It happens every year man. Guys that miss camp, come in and play are at a higher risk of injury.

Nothing is a guarantee, it's football. Maybe he comes out with rocket shoes and flies to the moon the first game. Hell if I know.

But I do know, missing the physicality of football then trying to jump back into it can lead to injury.

I’m aware of the difference between football shape and regular shape, but there’s not denying that being in great physical shape can help prevent those kinds of injuries in the first place.

You say it happens every year, yet it didn’t happen to the two guys that held out last year. When’s the last example of this that you can give me? And I mean a legit one, not a regular/freak injury that can happen to anyone at anytime. Also, what does him not being as good as those guys have to do with getting hurt?

He’s going to be in camp anyways, so this your concerns are probably futile anyways.

RunKC 06-26-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 14322940)
Chris Jones was on the field last year and the Defense was garbage.

The biggest difference maker is going to be the subtraction of Bob Sutton and the addition of a 4-3 scheme.

While I like Chris Jones, he doesn't have the leverage... see how he plays in the NFL under Spags... and if he will be worth it in the future.

Put yourself in Jones‘s shoes. Why does he have to prove what he will look like in this new system but Clark and Matheiu get paid top money without having played 1 down under Spags?

staylor26 06-26-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14322974)
Defensive lineman with whipsers of taking plays off or going off script don't exactly have a great track record of playing well after getting paid a monster deal.

JFC you’re going full reerun with this one.

The guy didn’t rack up 15.5 sacks taking plays off regularly. Saying he played off script is one thing, even though I think that’s a bit overblown.

Jones is clearly a guy that plays hard and is a far cry from the Albert Haynesworth’s of the NFL. He’s played relatively well from day 1. Good grief this is an awful take.

Mecca 06-26-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14322977)
Put yourself in Jones‘s shoes. Why does he have to prove what he will look like in this new system but Clark and Matheiu get paid top money without having played 1 down under Spags?

Clark and Mathieu don't have reps of freelancing and leaving huge running lanes to pad their sack numbers.

Mecca 06-26-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14322984)

The guy didn’t rack up 15.5 sacks taking plays off regularly. Saying he played off script is one thing, even though I think that’s a bit overblown.

Jones is clearly a guy that plays hard and is a far cry from the Albert Haynesworth’s of the NFL. He’s played relatively well from day 1. Good grief this is an awful take.

You can get a bunch of sacks if it is all you are interested in....but how helpful are those sacks if you are doing it while leaving open huge running lanes?

O.city 06-26-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14322984)

Stop getting so emotional over this stuff.

It's ok to have discussions on this stuff without calling people ****ing idiots and reeruns.

Molitoth 06-26-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14322977)

Jones can do whatever he wants. If I'm in his shoes, maybe I do the same thing.

I suppose I just trust Veach, he has all of the facts/details that we don't.

staylor26 06-26-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14322995)
Stop getting so emotional over this stuff.

It's ok to have discussions on this stuff without calling people ****ing idiots and reeruns.

LMAO

You’re a ****ing pussy dude, sorry, but it is what it is.

IowaHawkeyeChief 06-26-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 14322800)
He's the 2nd best interior lineman in the league, and the best player on this defense until someone else proves otherwise. Pay him.

He guesses on Gaps a lot and is rewarded with sacks. This hurts the team at other times. You can't give him a contract that rewards him like a free agent, their should be a discount for doing it early. He's not the 2nd best interior lineman in the league, maybe on 3rd and long...

staylor26 06-26-2019 10:20 AM

If you don’t want to be called a reerun or an idiot on CP, either stay away or don’t say obviously stupid shit. It’s really that simple.

Suggesting Jones is one of those guys that is just looking for a pay day means you haven’t paid any attention to the kind of kid he is whatsoever. He’s passionate, he wants to win, and he plays hard.

RunKC 06-26-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14322989)
Clark and Mathieu don't have reps of freelancing and leaving huge running lanes to pad their sack numbers.

Chris Jones was not the reason our run defense sucked. You could form a decent list of reasons why it was so bad and Jones wouldn’t even be in the top five.

You guys are acting like Jones is Dee ****ing Ford terrible against the run.

staylor26 06-26-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14323013)
Chris Jones was not the reason our run defense sucked. You could form a decent list of reasons why it was so bad and Jones wouldn’t even be in the top five.

Exactly. Run defense sucks so Jones free lancing narrative gets overblown.

Mecca 06-26-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14323013)

When he guesses on a gap to get a sack and the team hands off and the guard is immediately on Hitchens and people are bitching about Hitchens....guess who's fault that 10 yard run actually was?

staylor26 06-26-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14323020)
When he guesses on a gap to get a sack and the team hands off and the guard is immediately on Hitchens and people are bitching about Hitchens....guess who's fault that 10 yard run actually was?

Do you have an actual example of this? Because this just sounds like you making shit up to support a narrative.

RunKC 06-26-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14323012)
If you don’t want to be called a reerun or an idiot on CP, either stay away or don’t say obviously stupid shit. It’s really that simple.

Suggesting Jones is one of those guys that is just looking for a pay day means you haven’t paid any attention to the kind of kid he is whatsoever. He’s passionate, he wants to win, and he plays hard.

Well to an extent he was, just like any player.

Teams don’t pay DL big money to be run stuffers. They want pressures, sacks, forced fumbles, etc.

I think Jones did intentionally try to rush on some plays to get sacks so he could push for more money. Absolutely nothing wrong with that bc we wall would be lying if we said that if we were him, we wouldn’t entertain that idea too.

I just don’t get it. People want to pay Fuller early and hold off on Jones when Fuller has shown nothing to deserve a top 10 corner contract.

Jones broke the record for most sacks in consecutive games. It’s like a lot of Chiefs fans don’t get how hard it is to find an interior DL who can do that.

O.city 06-26-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14323005)
LMAO

You’re a ****ing pussy dude, sorry, but it is what it is.

I don't really care either way, just makes you come off as a 12 year old that isn't exactly intelligent.

staylor26 06-26-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14323070)
I don't really care either way, just makes you come off as a 12 year old that isn't exactly intelligent.

Oh so you can take personal shots when you want to, but when I do it I’m being a dick? You might not be aggressive, but you can be passive aggressive. Like a female.

I don’t base intelligence off of how many curse words somebody uses. I usually base it on the substance. I know one thing, I’m constantly owning your ass in these discussions and leaving you crying because a stranger on a forum called you a bad name instead of addressing my points.

O.cuck

O.city 06-26-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14323024)
Well to an extent he was, just like any player.

Teams don’t pay DL big money to be run stuffers. They want pressures, sacks, forced fumbles, etc.

I think Jones did intentionally try to rush on some plays to get sacks so he could push for more money. Absolutely nothing wrong with that bc we wall would be lying if we said that if we were him, we wouldn’t entertain that idea too.

I just don’t get it. People want to pay Fuller early and hold off on Jones when Fuller has shown nothing to deserve a top 10 corner contract.

Jones broke the record for most sacks in consecutive games. It’s like a lot of Chiefs fans don’t get how hard it is to find an interior DL who can do that.

That's fine but making you the or atleast one of the the highest paid defenders in the league (if that's what he wants) means you have to be able to do it all. Stop the run, play fundamentally sound and rush the passer.

He wants to be paid like those guys, you probably want to see him not go off script and leave gaps open and such.

O.city 06-26-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14323089)
Oh so you can take personal shots when you want to, but when I do it I’m being a dick? You might not be aggressive, but you can be passive aggressive. Like a female.

I don’t base intelligence off of how many curse words somebody uses. I usually base it on the substance. I know one thing, I’m constantly owning your ass in these discussions and leaving you crying because a stranger on a forum called you a bad name instead of addressing my points.

I'm not taking any shots at you. I made a statement that defensive lineman that have had motor issues since college and have a big year in a contract year tend to not always work out ideally, you flew off the handle and called me a "****ing reerun".

If you're gonna base anything off substance, reply with substance.

Literally the whole thing you just typed there comes off like a teenager. I know you can be better, I've seen it in you. You can do it.

Stryker 06-26-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 14322760)
Great player, proven commodity, no character issues, no injury issues, at a premium position. Pay the man.

Absolutely this. Man I do not want to see this guy walk. Pay him and lets get him into camp on time.

staylor26 06-26-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14323101)
I'm not taking any shots at you. I made a statement that defensive lineman that have had motor issues since college and have a big year in a contract year tend to not always work out ideally, you flew off the handle and called me a "****ing reerun".

If you're gonna base anything off substance, reply with substance.

Literally the whole thing you just typed there comes off like a teenager. I know you can be better, I've seen it in you. You can do it.

I said you “went full reerun”, which is a pretty common saying on CP that I didn’t think you would take offense to. I guess I assumed you wouldn’t take it the way you did, but I wasn’t trying to be an asshole. As I’ve said many times, that’s just how I talk. If you knew me in person, you’d know that it’s harmless and I’m actually a very nice person. I talk about sports on here like I would in the barber shop. I guess people are just different where I’m from?

O.city 06-26-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14323122)
I said you “went full reerun”, which is a pretty common saying on CP that I didn’t think you would take offense to. I guess I assumed you wouldn’t take it the way you did, but I wasn’t trying to be an asshole. As I’ve said many times, that’s just how I talk. If you knew me in person, you’d know that it’s harmless and I’m actually a very nice person. I talk about sports on here like I would in the barber shop. I guess people are just different where I’m from?

Ok, no worries.

Moving on.

O.city 06-26-2019 10:59 AM

From the Chiefs perspective, they don't really have any reason to go over what his salary this year and 2 tags would be at this point. You can have him for 3 years at that.

Plus IIRC, there are some interesting things that happen in the last year of this CBA, so next offseason the chiefs have a franchise and another type of tag? I may have read that wrong.

Sorce 06-26-2019 11:03 AM

Veach also had to deal with Dorsey giving big contracts to guys coming off a big year that never repeated that. He's had one great year the previous was ok and his rookie year was pretty forgettable. The Chiefs are taking a risk paying him now that what we saw last year wasn't what we will get going forward. For that they should get some reward. Otherwise play out your contract.

staylor26 06-26-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14323128)
Ok, no worries.

Moving on.

No, don’t start a fight with me then blow me off! You’re acting like my wife!

:D Just kidding. No hard feelings buddy.

RunKC 06-26-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14323134)
From the Chiefs perspective, they don't really have any reason to go over what his salary this year and 2 tags would be at this point. You can have him for 3 years at that.

Plus IIRC, there are some interesting things that happen in the last year of this CBA, so next offseason the chiefs have a franchise and another type of tag? I may have read that wrong.

I am fine with paying the kid as long as the structure of the contract protects us. Houston and Berry had contracts that were too long and the guaranteed money what structure to be a certain way that didn’t work out for us.

I’m completely fine with giving A four year contract added on to his last year of his rookie contract, with an enormous cap hit in 2020.

Get a lot of the money out of the way early before you have to really start paying Mahomes

O.city 06-26-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14323162)
No, don’t start a fight with me then blow me off! You’re acting like my wife!

:D Just kidding. No hard feelings buddy.

With time, i'll have you potty trained!

saphojunkie 06-26-2019 11:29 AM

I wouldn't pay him. I'd let another team do it and take my compensation, either as a compensatory pick or in a trade.

I think his value goes way down in the new system, and committing that much money to the defensively line is foolish.

Great player, but he belongs elsewhere after this year.

Chief Roundup 06-26-2019 11:29 AM

Jones will be in camp. He has little choice. He either shows up to camp or he doesn't get an accrued season. I don't remember the exacts. I believe it is 30 days before the start of the season that he must report or this season doesn't count as an accrued season towards FA. As I understood it this is for all players in their rookie contracts.

WhiteWhale 06-26-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 14322780)
Why is it a “premium position”?

No it’s not.

Yes, it is.

You know how you determine that? You look at the pay scale.

How many positions do you THINK earn more than defensive linemen?

WhiteWhale 06-26-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 14323210)
I wouldn't pay him. I'd let another team do it and take my compensation, either as a compensatory pick or in a trade.

I think his value goes way down in the new system, and committing that much money to the defensively line is foolish.

If your scheme can't work with Jones, your scheme sucks.

WhiteWhale 06-26-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Steve Smith lost a lot of steps and never stopped being awesome. You're just rationalizing your own dislike for the guy. He's actually really good at the position. I'm sure you're aware of this, but there are a lot of fast guys in the NFL who suck at playing WR.

Hill will be one of the fastest guys in the league when he retires. Just like Deion Sanders, Bullet Bob, and Darrel Green. He's THAT kind of fast.

staylor26 06-26-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Wtf?

This is a terrible take. How the hell does Jones value go down in this system?

And a comp pick for Jones? LMAO

Now this was “full reerun”.

Chief Roundup 06-26-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Much to disagree with in this post.
Reid and many others have commented that with the faster and faster releases of QBs along with route combinations the real pressure is going to have to come right up the middle in the QBs face. That makes a pass rushing DT very important.

O.city 06-26-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

I don't know. I'm somewhere in between at this point.

He's a great player for sure, but I'd like to see him in this system and see what the new guys have before I break him off.

O.city 06-26-2019 11:35 AM

I don't think his value necessarily goes down per say, but I could see a scenario where you can get his production out of 2 or 3 other guys that you're paying a lot less.

In that case, the system gets production out of other guys similar to what the Pats have done, you could tag and trade him for a high pick which brings not only a high pick, but a lot of extra money.

Naptown Chief 06-26-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14322775)
I'm wondering if he misunderstood the one-day contract comment that was aimed toward Hali, and was simply saying that he still has a decade to play.

Either that, or he was just saying that he's not looking forward to training camp starting.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I'm not seeing negative omens here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14322819)
Ummm...

He’s literally saying he’s not in a rush to get to retirement. That’s it.

This is how I read it too

tyecopeland 06-26-2019 12:22 PM

You guys are so concerned about Jones leaving gaps for running lanes while chasing sacks but without Dee Ford running wide around the tackle every play the gaps will already be smaller.

ThyKingdomCome15 06-26-2019 12:30 PM

Tyreek doesn't run full speed that often. There was a game Smith over shot Hill a hair. But at the last minute Hill kicked it into warp speed for just a couple steps. So even when Hill loses a step, he'll still be roasting everyone because he is that fast.

ThyKingdomCome15 06-26-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyecopeland (Post 14323349)
You guys are so concerned about Jones leaving gaps for running lanes while chasing sacks but without Dee Ford running wide around the tackle every play the gaps will already be smaller.

This is a very interesting point. Chiefs have basically all bull rushers now. Clark has a nice blend of speed and power, though.

Chief Pagan 06-26-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 14323221)
Steve Smith lost a lot of steps and never stopped being awesome. You're just rationalizing your own dislike for the guy. He's actually really good at the position. I'm sure you're aware of this, but there are a lot of fast guys in the NFL who suck at playing WR.

Hill will be one of the fastest guys in the league when he retires. Just like Deion Sanders, Bullet Bob, and Darrel Green. He's THAT kind of fast.

If KC had a Matt Ryan type QB I would pay Hill. With PM I wouldn’t break the bank for Hill. If he wants a full market deal I would let him walk.

BossChief 06-26-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14323021)
Do you have an actual example of this? Because this just sounds like you making shit up to support a narrative.

How about Paylor flat out saying the Chiefs want him to stop freelancing.