ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chris Jones clearly has eyes on the future (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323590)

O.city 06-26-2019 10:59 AM

From the Chiefs perspective, they don't really have any reason to go over what his salary this year and 2 tags would be at this point. You can have him for 3 years at that.

Plus IIRC, there are some interesting things that happen in the last year of this CBA, so next offseason the chiefs have a franchise and another type of tag? I may have read that wrong.

Sorce 06-26-2019 11:03 AM

Veach also had to deal with Dorsey giving big contracts to guys coming off a big year that never repeated that. He's had one great year the previous was ok and his rookie year was pretty forgettable. The Chiefs are taking a risk paying him now that what we saw last year wasn't what we will get going forward. For that they should get some reward. Otherwise play out your contract.

staylor26 06-26-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14323128)
Ok, no worries.

Moving on.

No, don’t start a fight with me then blow me off! You’re acting like my wife!

:D Just kidding. No hard feelings buddy.

RunKC 06-26-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14323134)
From the Chiefs perspective, they don't really have any reason to go over what his salary this year and 2 tags would be at this point. You can have him for 3 years at that.

Plus IIRC, there are some interesting things that happen in the last year of this CBA, so next offseason the chiefs have a franchise and another type of tag? I may have read that wrong.

I am fine with paying the kid as long as the structure of the contract protects us. Houston and Berry had contracts that were too long and the guaranteed money what structure to be a certain way that didn’t work out for us.

I’m completely fine with giving A four year contract added on to his last year of his rookie contract, with an enormous cap hit in 2020.

Get a lot of the money out of the way early before you have to really start paying Mahomes

O.city 06-26-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14323162)
No, don’t start a fight with me then blow me off! You’re acting like my wife!

:D Just kidding. No hard feelings buddy.

With time, i'll have you potty trained!

saphojunkie 06-26-2019 11:29 AM

I wouldn't pay him. I'd let another team do it and take my compensation, either as a compensatory pick or in a trade.

I think his value goes way down in the new system, and committing that much money to the defensively line is foolish.

Great player, but he belongs elsewhere after this year.

Chief Roundup 06-26-2019 11:29 AM

Jones will be in camp. He has little choice. He either shows up to camp or he doesn't get an accrued season. I don't remember the exacts. I believe it is 30 days before the start of the season that he must report or this season doesn't count as an accrued season towards FA. As I understood it this is for all players in their rookie contracts.

WhiteWhale 06-26-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 14322780)
Why is it a “premium position”?

No it’s not.

Yes, it is.

You know how you determine that? You look at the pay scale.

How many positions do you THINK earn more than defensive linemen?

WhiteWhale 06-26-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 14323210)
I wouldn't pay him. I'd let another team do it and take my compensation, either as a compensatory pick or in a trade.

I think his value goes way down in the new system, and committing that much money to the defensively line is foolish.

If your scheme can't work with Jones, your scheme sucks.

WhiteWhale 06-26-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 14322934)
I agree. Jones is just doing what is in his best interest, positioning for the contract talks. You don't let a player like that get away, Veach will get it done.

Hill doesn't fit the mold of a guy you give a big money, long term deal to - he has obvious character issues and when he loses a step he won't be worth what the contract is paying. I know that on CP people think he's the fastest player in the NFL by 3 steps, but the reality is that when his speed declines he won't be worth elite money.

You pay Jones, and if Hill stays out of trouble and wants to sign a deal that is friendly to the team, and you can squeeze him in with other priorities, ok. Otherwise you continue stockpiling talent at the skill positions on offense and let someone else overpay him.

Steve Smith lost a lot of steps and never stopped being awesome. You're just rationalizing your own dislike for the guy. He's actually really good at the position. I'm sure you're aware of this, but there are a lot of fast guys in the NFL who suck at playing WR.

Hill will be one of the fastest guys in the league when he retires. Just like Deion Sanders, Bullet Bob, and Darrel Green. He's THAT kind of fast.

staylor26 06-26-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Wtf?

This is a terrible take. How the hell does Jones value go down in this system?

And a comp pick for Jones? LMAO

Now this was “full reerun”.

Chief Roundup 06-26-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Much to disagree with in this post.
Reid and many others have commented that with the faster and faster releases of QBs along with route combinations the real pressure is going to have to come right up the middle in the QBs face. That makes a pass rushing DT very important.

O.city 06-26-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

I don't know. I'm somewhere in between at this point.

He's a great player for sure, but I'd like to see him in this system and see what the new guys have before I break him off.

O.city 06-26-2019 11:35 AM

I don't think his value necessarily goes down per say, but I could see a scenario where you can get his production out of 2 or 3 other guys that you're paying a lot less.

In that case, the system gets production out of other guys similar to what the Pats have done, you could tag and trade him for a high pick which brings not only a high pick, but a lot of extra money.

Naptown Chief 06-26-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14322775)
I'm wondering if he misunderstood the one-day contract comment that was aimed toward Hali, and was simply saying that he still has a decade to play.

Either that, or he was just saying that he's not looking forward to training camp starting.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I'm not seeing negative omens here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14322819)
Ummm...

He’s literally saying he’s not in a rush to get to retirement. That’s it.

This is how I read it too