ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Replacement Windshield...OEM or Aftermarket? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=292879)

petegz28 06-08-2015 05:50 PM

Replacement Windshield...OEM or Aftermarket?

Okay, so I'm about to go on the 4th windshield (including the one that came with it) on my 2011 Maxima.

The 1st was hit by a rock, you could easily tell something hit it hard. Fair enough.

The 2nd, installed by Safelight, just sorta seem to crack one day on the passenger side, starting under the trim, about mid-glass

The 3rd, again installed by Safelight, just sorta seemed to crack in a similar spot though there was a chip out of it so again, it appeared to get hit but....

So now, again, looks like something hit the windshield and I have an ever-growing crack which, you guessed it, is in a similar spot to the previous 2.

So I am done with Safelight to say the least. The dealer quoted me $360 + tax on an aftermarket which is a pretty decent price. Or they said an OEM is going to run around $600+ labor+ tax. I have a $500 deductible.

I've researched and it seems the OEM glass is much better but if I am just having rotten luck, I'd hate to pay $500 only to replace it again in 2 years, unless it's legitimately hit hard by something of course. It just seems the aftermarket glass can't take the wear and tear or isn't fitting right or both.

What say you all???

BigMeatballDave 06-08-2015 06:00 PM

Well, I sure as hell wouldn't call Safelite again.

SAUTO 06-08-2015 06:03 PM

Usually the glass deductible is less than 500 bucks. Mine on comprehensive is 100

SAUTO 06-08-2015 06:04 PM

I would just call someone else. Where in the city are you located?

Brock 06-08-2015 06:07 PM

If it isn't ppg glass, don't bother.

lewdog 06-08-2015 06:09 PM

In AZ, they pay YOU to replace your windshield as long as you fill the claim through your insurance. It's ****ing awesome.

TrebMaxx 06-08-2015 06:18 PM

First off Safelite sucks and I will never use them again. Long story so I won't go into it. Check with your insurance, like was mentioned a windshield usually is a $100 deductible. Get OEM or PPG.

petegz28 06-08-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 11539379)
Usually the glass deductible is less than 500 bucks. Mine on comprehensive is 100

seems last time i talked to them they told me it was the $500 and that usually you get it cheaper than the deductible. i mean if it comes down to $450 out of pocket for aftermarket or $500 foe oem then wtf, right?

petegz28 06-08-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 11539382)
I would just call someone else. Where in the city are you located?

olathe

cosmo20002 06-08-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 11539360)
Okay, so I'm about to go on the 4th windshield (including the one that came with it) on my 2011 Maxima.

The 1st was hit by a rock, you could easily tell something hit it hard. Fair enough.

The 2nd, installed by Safelight, just sorta seem to crack one day on the passenger side, starting under the trim, about mid-glass

The 3rd, again installed by Safelight, just sorta seemed to crack in a similar spot though there was a chip out of it so again, it appeared to get hit but....

So now, again, looks like something hit the windshield and I have an ever-growing crack which, you guessed it, is in a similar spot to the previous 2.

So I am done with Safelight to say the least. The dealer quoted me $360 + tax on an aftermarket which is a pretty decent price. Or they said an OEM is going to run around $600+ labor+ tax. I have a $500 deductible.

I've researched and it seems the OEM glass is much better but if I am just having rotten luck, I'd hate to pay $500 only to replace it again in 2 years, unless it's legitimately hit hard by something of course. It just seems the aftermarket glass can't take the wear and tear or isn't fitting right or both.

What say you all???

WTF?
Are people constantly pelting you with rocks when you drive places? Cause I could see that happening to you.

Are you a scab who drives though a lot of 'on strike' picket lines?

TrebMaxx 06-08-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 11539421)
seems last time i talked to them they told me it was the $500 and that usually you get it cheaper than the deductible. i mean if it comes down to $450 out of pocket for aftermarket or $500 foe oem then wtf, right?

Next step is to start shopping for a better policy once you get this taken care of.

DaFace 06-08-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 11539442)
Next step is to start shopping for a better policy once you get this taken care of.

Yep. After going through 2 windshields in 2 years, I added glass coverage to my State Farm coverage. It's like $7/month or something like that, and I've since replaced two more with zero out of pocket.

petegz28 06-08-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 11539467)
Yep. After going through 2 windshields in 2 years, I added glass coverage to my State Farm coverage. It's like $7/month or something like that, and I've since replaced two more with zero out of pocket.

im with state farm too....i don't think i have glass coverage other than chips which they'll fix for free

srvy 06-08-2015 06:36 PM

Do you drive I-435 and K7 out by those Quarries a lot. Those big ass long trucks hauling chat always pull out there with cover up. Dot know why the state patrol don't ticket them.

I have always had good luck with Safelite maybe a different shop. Almost sounds like they didn't clean edges good before seating the new glass. Jut a little piece of sand under an edge is enough to get a crack started.

SAUTO 06-08-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 11539474)
im with state farm too....i don't think i have glass coverage other than chips which they'll fix for free

Usually if chips are free the deductible is smaller than the usual deductible.

Most times when they have no glass policy the chips are $50 iirc