ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Do you support local companies? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270047)

Prison Bitch 02-14-2013 09:15 PM

Do you support local companies?

Browsing the Hallmark store today over lunch to get my wife a Valentine's Day card, I wondered how many people in KC would not purchase a Hallmark product even if it was more expensive. I'm sure my limited spending won't make much of a difference, but I nearly always buy local if I can. I will buy Hallmark, eat at Applebee's over Chilis (even though it sucks), buy a Garmin GPS and use Sprint cellphone service.

Others might disagree. I have a good friend who works at Sprint. He said it's a known fact inside the company that their marketshare here in KC ("share of decisions") is no greater or worse than their national average. So people in KC won't bother supporting Sprint which is a huge economic engine here. I think that's crazy. I assume the same studies would bear out for Hallmark or Garmin.

Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

CoMoChief 02-14-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9404151)
Browsing the Hallmark store today over lunch to get my wife a Valentine's Day card, I wondered how many people in KC would not purchase a Hallmark product even if it was more expensive. I'm sure my limited spending won't make much of a difference, but I nearly always buy local if I can. I will buy Hallmark, eat at Applebee's over Chilis (even though it sucks), buy a Garmin GPS and use Sprint cellphone service.

Others might disagree. I have a good friend who works at Sprint. He said it's a known fact inside the company that their marketshare here in KC ("share of decisions") is no greater or worse than their national average. So people in KC won't bother supporting Sprint which is a huge economic engine here. I think that's crazy. I assume the same studies would bear out for Hallmark or Garmin.

Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

I don't say that I "try" to use local. But sometimes it's just the best deal $$ wise.

Demonpenz 02-14-2013 09:24 PM

we were going to the WWI museaum but Wal-Mart's selection of guns and people that stink like trenches was way cheaper.

J Diddy 02-14-2013 09:25 PM

I support single mothers. I tip strippers well.

Rain Man 02-14-2013 09:31 PM

You support Applebee's as a local firm?

I always try to go local if possible.

Buehler445 02-14-2013 09:37 PM

I go local if it comparable. I'll pay a little more, particularly if I have to travel, but they have to earn it. I'm not getting any premium locally for my stuff.

Saulbadguy 02-14-2013 09:49 PM

The ****

NewChief 02-14-2013 09:50 PM

Yes. Almost always buy local and small and will pay more. Thankfully it's a huge trend in our town, and our store reaps the benefits. Also, if you live in KC and don't buy Hammerpress greeting cards, you suck. ;)

mr. tegu 02-14-2013 09:51 PM

Can you even buy a card that doesn't say Hallmark on it?

GloryDayz 02-14-2013 09:52 PM

I do....

NewChief 02-14-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9404278)
Can you even buy a card that doesn't say Hallmark on it?

Jesus. There is an amazing cottage industry of letterpress card companies right now.

My indignation is kind if feigned, but we own a store that sells a lot of this shit. Ironically my wife just got headhunted by Hallmark yesterday because of her work in the paper industry. She declined. Heh.

Look up Hammerpress (Kansas city based press that is awesome), sycamore street, rifle, sapling, smock, 1canoe2. All are awesome small presses.

PunkinDrublic 02-14-2013 10:13 PM

I give every local business a chance when I have the opportunity but if they give bad service or sell a bad product I won't use them again.

Rain Man 02-14-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9404287)
Jesus. There is an amazing cottage industry of letterpress card companies right now.

My indignation is kind if feigned, but we own a store that sells a lot of this shit. Ironically my wife just got headhunted by Hallmark yesterday because of her work in the paper industry. She declined. Heh.

Look up Hammerpress (Kansas city based press that is awesome), sycamore street, rifle, sapling, smock, 1canoe2. All are awesome small presses.

Are they hiring writers? I think I could be a really good greeting card writer.

"Get well soon, unless of course you're hoping to die."

"Happy Valentine's Day. Be mine forever, or until that hot blonde neighbor wants me."

"Merry Christmas if you're not Jewish, in which case I'm sorry for your people's torment."

Pablo 02-14-2013 10:36 PM

I buy Boulevard products. So yeah.

Deberg_1990 02-14-2013 10:38 PM

Topsys Popcorn!