ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Game Development in KC? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280504)

SilentHell 01-08-2014 12:34 PM

Game Development in KC?

Hello All. I am Icarus' brother. I will be graduating on March 1, 2014 with my Bachelors in Game Design. Is there any game development jobs that are in Kansas City. Most of the cities that are currently offering jobs are way out of reach, and I do not know that I am prepared to move my entire family clear away from KC/ Tulsa. If I did happen to land a job in Cali, I could make 2 Chiefs games a year in SD and Oakland, and possibly even SF or LA (if they get a team and we happen to play their division). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew anything that would be a good opportunity in the KC area. I grew up in Olathe/Overland Park for 14 years and would completely by all means want to move back to that area. Thank you all for your time in reading this post and any information would be a blessing. Thanks again.

DMAC 01-08-2014 02:05 PM

Don't determine your life based on seeing the Chiefs live.

And if you move to Cali, learn to swim.

mr. tegu 01-08-2014 02:07 PM

Judging by your avatar I think your artistic skills are a little bit behind.

lcarus 01-08-2014 02:23 PM

Here. http://Www.jobsingamedesignfordouche.../shitforbrains

Fish 01-08-2014 02:24 PM

Never heard of such a thing in KC. Sounds like a tough career to break into without heading to Silicon Valley.

Best of luck though.

BryanBusby 01-08-2014 02:38 PM

Unless you're willing to deal with the hardships of starting your own studio, be prepared to move.

lcarus 01-08-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 10355683)
Unless you're willing to deal with the hardships of starting your own studio, be prepared to move.

I've suggested to him that working on independent games could be an option. You can work from home on it with partners who lives anywhere in the world thanks to things like Skype and shit. You make a good independent game with 3 or 4 people (or 1 or 2) and it's successful? Gold mine.

SilentHell 01-08-2014 02:51 PM

I have considered the many opportunities of working on Indie titles, however I want more experience before I start my own IP or Studio. Also being paid right off the bat helps. I was more curious if there was any industry news about game design in KC. I dont want to live in KC to be disappointed by the Chiefs every year, I want to live in KC because that is my home, where I grew up.

Bowser 01-08-2014 03:04 PM

Isn't there an up and coming SFX business in KC? I know it's not games, but might be worth checking out?

This company did work on the Serenity movie. I cannot think of their name for the life of me. I'll have to go digging....

hometeam 01-08-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10355607)
Judging by your avatar I think your artistic skills are a little bit behind.

Starbound, pre-release has already sold over a million copies, and the entire game art is like that.

Graphics does not a great game make!

As for OP, I don't know anything about it, but remember, you can always make your own game and get steam greenlighted!~

SilentHell 01-08-2014 03:28 PM

I am currently working on my final project for school. Once I put it in Alpha, I will submit a link so all can check it out.

hometeam 01-08-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentHell (Post 10355783)
I am currently working on my final project for school. Once I put it in Alpha, I will submit a link so all can check it out.

Ill alpha test the shit out of it

underEJ 01-08-2014 03:33 PM

If you don't want to go to California, Austin is a good choice.

And yes, There are two small companies doing vfx out of KC, but the staff position numbers seem very low for someone looking to relocate. It might not be steady work. games and vfx are very different but cross over somewhat. It would take a bit of work to prep for a vfx job, but it is not unreasonable if that is of interest. Are you more technical or creative?

linkedin has lots of groups for the industries, and you can link to recruiters easily there.