ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Boardwalk Empire (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=229217)

Jenson71 09-13-2010 08:32 AM

The writer's views on Buscemi's character:

"Yeah, I think Nucky is a realist, I think he does what the job requires. I think as a practical man, as a practical politician, he knows that to do good, sometimes you have to do bad. And probably the feeling is at the end of the day, he hopes he does more good than he does bad."

eazyb81 09-13-2010 09:04 AM

Eh, I have HBO so I will at least check out the first episode or two, but I'm not automatically sold after seeing the previews. Buscemi's as Tony Blundetto in Sopranos - a small-time gangster - was believable, but I'm not sure I can buy him as some bad ass lead gangster.

There may be some historical precedence in casting here but I see Buscemi as a great supporting actor, not a great lead.

Buck 09-20-2010 12:29 AM

That was a great first episode IMO.

I wonder if Al Capone and the whole Chicago crew will be sticking around, or if they were just for the first episode. Same with Lucky Luciano and New York.

This is regarding the end of the episode so don't read if you haven't watched yet.

Who was it that shot the Chicago restaurant guy at the end?

PhillyChiefFan 09-20-2010 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinSmurf (Post 7020863)

I wonder if Al Capone and the whole Chicago crew will be sticking around, or if they were just for the first episode. Same with Lucky Luciano and New York.

This is regarding the end of the episode so don't read if you haven't watched yet.

That's what I was wondering, I got that impression when they flashed the "Chicago 200 miles" sign.

The first episode was great, I'm really hoping it keeps getting better.

Skyy God 09-20-2010 09:17 AM

From what I've read, the show is set in both AC and Chicago (starting around episode 4 or so).

keg in kc 09-20-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 7020939)
That's what I was wondering, I got that impression when they flashed the "Chicago 200 miles" sign.

The first episode was great, I'm really hoping it keeps getting better.

I haven't watched yet, but a couple of the reviews I've seen say the first episode is the weakest.

Deberg_1990 09-20-2010 10:05 AM

I saw bits and pieces and what i saw had me intrigued. Ill have to set the DVR.

Buscemi to me seemed a little awkward as a gangster though. I was more interested in the young kid who was a WW1 hero turned gangster.

CHENZ A! 09-20-2010 11:07 AM

Buscemi is playing a crooked politician, not a gangster.. I think he pulls it off pretty well.
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish 09-20-2010 11:22 AM

I love Buscemi, he's just fun to watch, like Christopher Walken or John Malkovich.
BTW: who makes the best psycho character of those three guys?

Jenson71 09-20-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinSmurf (Post 7020863)

Torrio, who Al Capone is muscle for. [in real life, it was another gangster pal of Torrio's that does the deed].

Why does Torrio kill the guy? Because the guy was against getting into bootlegging, and just wanted to stay in the whoring business (we got that information from Capone, talking to Jimmy outside that one night).

And now that "the Chicago restaurant guy" is dead, Chicago's gang can open up the city to the business of liquor, which, you're probably aware . . . they do. A lot.

Buck 09-20-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 7021707)
Torrio, who Al Capone is muscle for. [in real life, it was another gangster pal of Torrio's that does the deed].

Why does Torrio kill the guy? Because the guy was against getting into bootlegging, and just wanted to stay in the whoring business (we got that information from Capone, talking to Jimmy outside that one night).

And now that "the Chicago restaurant guy" is dead, Chicago's gang can open up the city to the business of liquor, which, you're probably aware . . . they do. A lot.

Awesome, thanks man. I watched the episode at like 10 pm after spending all day at the stadium, so I was a bit out of it last night.

Jenson71 09-20-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinSmurf (Post 7021830)
Awesome, thanks man. I watched the episode at like 10 pm after spending all day at the stadium, so I was a bit out of it last night.

There was a ton going on in the first episode. We met Al Capone, Arnold Rothstein, Lucky Luciano, a battered immigrant, the mayor, the treasurer, the treasurer's young protege (and his family), the treasurer's girlfriend, the butler, the treasurer's mentor (not sure who he is), the treasurer's brother-cop, a guy who makes whiskey in the basement of his funeral parlor, FBI agents, Torrio, and the guy Torrio kills (the former big mob boss of Chicago).

And they all dress in 1920s clothing.

It was easy to miss something. I'm sure more than a few watched it again right afterwards.

I liked Buscemi as County Treasurer. I don't think there's any glaring miscast. I like his character: he's more the tragic Michael Corleone/young Vito Corleone figure that is so straddling the edges of falling completely onto the dark side, and has some moral dimension that is there for tension. Jimmy actively pursues the life, which I don't find too attractive (and I can't imagine not going to Princeton if I had that opportunity). He's like Chris from the Sopranos: an interesting side-character, but not someone that ever wins you over. We'll see about him.

The immigrant is supposed to be a big character. I didn't get into her as much as I did the non-fiction guys. Seeing the young Luciano and Capone being portrayed was exciting.

keg in kc 09-20-2010 03:21 PM

Buscemi is a great actor, I'm glad to finally see him be the centerpiece of something.

I've watched about 20 minutes, the quality of the production is just amazing.

Jenson71 09-20-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7022310)
Buscemi is a great actor, I'm glad to finally see him be the centerpiece of something.

I've watched about 20 minutes, the quality of the production is just amazing.

And I wonder how much of that is paid from product placements. I read that Nucky's car is a Rolls Royce, but other than that, I'm not sure what other products are still around. Coke? Some cigarette types? General Electric?

It's great HBO is willing to take the risk to put up this type of period show, re-creating sets and costumes.

Jenson71 09-20-2010 03:35 PM

Some things reminded me instantly of The Sopranos. First, that big brick/or red house. I feel like that's the house Tony kept coming back to when he was on the brink of death (if he had gone in the house, that was symbolic of his passing). Also, the boardwalk scenes, and the opening credits, while anyone is looking out into the ocean, reminds me of Tony's fish dreams.