ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports *** Official Youth, High School, College and International Wrestling Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268908)

rico 11-15-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 11098617)
All of my siblings have wrestling age boys now. The mat club now allows preschool so we are throwing the young ones in. With our boys and those of first cousins when this group is in high school we could have 13 boys on the high school wrestling team from our family at the same time. We are not pushing. We are encouraging. Right now it's just rough housing on the mat and practicing stances and getting thrown around.

I anticipate a lot of winter bleacher butt in the coming years. I will likely be helping with thE youth program as time allows.

Anymore, in Iowa... the school youth programs aare fading a bit to Super Clubs that are generally run by former NCAA champs/All-Americans...kids generally join when they reach a level where they are taking things rather seriously. If this sounds appealing to you, hit me up when the time comes and I'll steer you in the right direction... not sure where you are located geographically speaking, but a lot of the choice of which super club to choose is dependent on where the person lives.

It's pretty neat. Some of these guys are able to make a living by facilitating their own wrestling club...which is awesome, for I've always found it to be catastrophic that wrestling is the most grueling, tough sport, but the athletes can't make a living via becoming professional like other sports.

Some examples of these include:

Eastern Iowa Wrestling Club (Iowa City based...run by Terry Brands...who was an NCAA champ and Olympic bronze winner).

Sebolt Wrestling Academy (In North Central/North East Iowa. Run by 4 time state champ and current Iowa career wins record holder, T.J. Sebolt).

Porcelli (based in Des Moines...great guy).

D.C. Elite: Based in Cedar Rapids/Mount Pleasant. Run by Iowa HS state champ and Wisconsin NCAA All American, Dusty Coufal. This has been the most successful club the past 3 years, although Eastern Iowa is catching up. My bros are in this club along with House of Payne, although I wish they'd try out Eastern Iowa WC...there is a coach for D.C. Elite who pisses me off and IMO, doesn't belong in there because he coaches a HS team). Dusty is the most intense youth coach in the state and really gets a lot out of kids. His wrestling club is his life....really...I think it's how he makes a living. He runs the king of the super clubs, for now...they win everything and are invited fo prestigious national dual wrestling tourneys in which they always place pretty high and sometimes win it.

House of Payne: Jason Payne's club. He is an NCAA All American from UNI...along with being a 3 time state champ. My bros are in this one as well. I love this guy. Located in Washington, IA...brings in a lot of the South East Iowans like ourselves I live in a small town near Burlington... the Royals's A baseball team used to be in Burlington. I used to see some of these guys who play for the Royals now (most notably Gordon and Moustakis) all the time at the bars. They were real nice, but most of them were very vocal about how much they hated Burlington, IA due to the lack of support for the Burlington Bees team. Anyways...

Ubasa: Hawaiian standout and former Iowa wrestler, Pablo Ubasa. He conducts sessions in Des Moines and Iowa City.

High Altitude: Gosh, this guy's name of escapes me, but this program is located in Des Moines. Until D.C. Elite dethroned them, this used to be THE premier club. Excellent coach.

Cobra: Southwest Iowa, Council Bluffs area...can't remember the guy's name.

Meneely: Run by former HS superstar and Iowa wrestler, Todd Meneely. Based in Omaha..also reels in Southwest Iowa wrestlers and Council Bluffs kids.

Legends of Gold: Northwest Iowa...they get some of the Sioux City area kids.

Kaos Gold: Oskaloosa

Team Swagger: Run by former Iowa HS runner-up, Jamie Cochrane. My bros have been to a few of these sessions. Cochrane has such a unique and awesome method of conditioning and conducting practices. I've seen it firsthand. A FANTASTIC program...located in Moravia, Iowa.

Young Bucks: Albia area. Maybe held in Knoxville. Run by the Pickerel brothers. Nick Pickerel was my brother, Justin's primary practice partner at UNI...Nick won state a couple times in high school. These guys are great.

Higher Power Wrestling Club: T.J. Sebolt and I believe Dean Happel (a state champ from Lisbon, IA who actually beat Tom Brands either in HS or college). There are higher power locations sporadically placed around Iowa... like Centrville, Lisbon, etc. These guys incorporate prayer and religion into practice. If that's your thing then one thing I can say about them is that they have some dandy wrestlers. Carter Happel is probably the best wrestler in the state of Iowa...won Fargo.

Young Guns: Run by University of Iowa NCAA Champion, Eric Juergens. He turns kids into monsters. Based in Dubuque and the Quad Cities. After Juergens was done ad Iowa, he helped out as a volunteer coach at the cdge I wrestled at, my Sophomore season, which was Loras College in Dubuque. He basically imposed his will and took over the program..unpaid. Our paid coaching staff was totally fine with it. This guy is an absolute machine. And he is great at connecting with kids and helping them with the mental aspect. Great coach. I hung out with him quite a bit for a few years there...dude was an absolute nut when we'd start drinking....just had that "I am invincible" mentality... would do crazy, funny shit. Fun guy to hang out with and an absolutely awesome coach.

Former Iowa NCAA champ, Joe.Williams is starting something on Iowa City. To be honest, he appeals to the Iowa City High and African American kids. Nice guy...INTENSE coach.

That's it, in a nutshell, off the top of my head... when all your boys nephews have the basics down, these super clubs specialize in "polishing" their skill sets...and in most cases, it just works wonders. I'd highly recommend it.

rico 11-15-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11112193)
Tournament #2 is in the books.

This was an open tournament, unlike our last one which was novice. My son wrestled at 60 lbs, so he was in a good weight class. Unfortunately, his first match was against the reigning state champion in their division. Ouch.

He won his second in nailbiting fashion. The kid went up 1 point on him with out 12 seconds left in the final round. We were screaming "You've got to double leg him! Get a takedown" and with like 4 seconds to go, he shot and doublelegged and scored two points to win the match by 1. Freaking craziness.

He lost his third one to a kid who had absolutely zero form. Just grabbed him, tied him up, and tossed him around. The kid wasn't shooting or halfing or doing anything. He was just stronger and more agressive and my kid was doing a shitty job of running out of his holds and then turning around and double legging him.

This week, my son is going to have to learn how to do a decent double leg. He wants to sprawl and work to back constantly, but he's not quick enough on his sprawl, so he ends up getting taken down a lot, which puts him behind in scoring.

Exciting stuff, isn't it? Sounds like he ran into a brawler in his 3rd match. I've seen it time and time again..those types of kids are usually passed by the mode technically sound kids the time they hit 4th or 5th grade...that is unless, they make changes to their own game(s). I've noticed that a lot of kids who wrestle that way have mohawks. :) Just an observation... or at least, kids with mohawks tend to wrestle that way. I used to love wrestling kids with mohawks and never understood why other kids were intimidated by them.... it was usually a huge indicator to me that the kid was a dunce and that if I wrestled smart and watched for the headlock... I'd bury the kid. I mean, I hate to generalize, but I literally have never seen a mohawk kid who wasn't like that. Seriously.

Props to your boy! Keep us posted.

My bros are now a Junior and Freshman this season. Season starts Monday, although to be honest, it never really ends for them. I'm hoping my Freshman brother can handle the pressure. There is a lot old pressure on him for he is one of the most heavily anticipated wrestlers for our school... ever. He set a JH record last season for school sanctioned events. He became the first wrestler from my school to not only go undefeated all through JH, but he did not give up a single point. He pinned every kid he wrestled in his 2 seasons of JH school sanctioned events with an exception of 2 tech falls and one major decision. Lotta expectations/pressure...our high school is ranked #46 nationally via intermat. It just worries me... Just talking about this shit makes me nervous. Brennan, the Freshman will be at 120 while my Junior bro, Shea will be at 126.

rico 11-15-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11112312)
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1515227/20.gif

I love these inside ankle picks. Absolutely wicked.

I love watching Dake get taken down. That dude rubs me the wrong way...and I really like Taylor.

I joined a college wrestling fantasy league, Sorter. I need your help. I know the jist of college wrestlers, but my wrestling knowledge in terms of who is who is more broad on the youth/high school levels. I just haven't had time to follow college wrestling as I once used to. Anyways, the scoring is about how you'd predict...bonus points for majors, techs, wins, pins, etc. Large emphasis on how they finish at Nationals.

With that said, who should I look into drafting? We get one wrestler per weight and 2-3 for your bench. Who will place high and/or score the bonus points? Can you give me a run down? THANKS A TON!!!

Sorter 11-15-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11112468)
I love watching Dake get taken down. That dude rubs me the wrong way...and I really like Taylor.

I joined a college wrestling fantasy league, Sorter. I need your help. I know the jist of college wrestlers, but my wrestling knowledge in terms of who is who is more broad on the youth/high school levels. I just haven't had time to follow college wrestling as I once used to. Anyways, the scoring is about how you'd predict...bonus points for majors, techs, wins, pins, etc. Large emphasis on how they finish at Nationals.

With that said, who should I look into drafting? We get one wrestler per weight and 2-3 for your bench. Who will place high and/or score the bonus points? Can you give me a run down? THANKS A TON!!!

125-Delgado/Waters/Gilman/Peters
133-Clarke/Thielke/Gulibon
141-Steiber/Mecate/Dutton
149-Steiber/Houdashelt/Kindig/Ruggirello
157-Ness/Green/Demas/Alton (points early in the year)
165-Sulzer/Massa/Palacio
174-Storley/Brown/Wilps
184-Dean/Courts
197-J'den
HWT-McMullan

I have never done what you're doing before and don't follow it as closely anymore. Rudy is probably someone who can give you better ideas. I'd think L. Steiber would be a lock for 1.1 but again, I have no idea.

rico 12-04-2014 07:35 AM

First dual meet of the season. Our high school team is ranked #1 in the state. I am freaking nervous for a few reasons. 1.) Our first dual of the season is vs. #2 ranked Davenport Assumption (who landed a 132 lb recruit from KC, BTW...name is Stuart Shafer). 2.) I am calling the event via podcast. 3.) I have 2 brothers in the dual at 120 and 126. They both have two of the toughest kids in the Assumption lineup. My Freshman brother at 120 is going to be facing the 126 lb bro's rival from last year...a freaking tough kid who placed at state along with my brother. Some super high expectations for my youngest bro. He was a 4 time Grade School State champ along with a bunch of other escalades. Heck, last year out of 70 or so matches, his only Folkstyle losses were to a kid named Garrett Niel and an OT loss to Jack (or Jake maybe) Beeson...from Kansas City of all places. His first ever high school match is going to be vs. a freaking upperclassmen beast...and I'm going to have to call the match. Ugh. He feels the pressure due to everyone's expectations and it is stressing him out. And the older bro is ranked 3rd in the state now and wrestling his rival since 2nd grade, who is under ranked at #7.

I'm going to be a train wreck all day. :(

NewChief 01-31-2015 11:17 AM

Well, it's been a pretty awesome first season of wrestling. While my youngest hasn't won any tournaments he's placed as high as 2nd in one (admittedly, a small bracket, but still).

We'll be heading up to Lebanon, MO next Sunday for a National Novice tournament.

My son has progressed so much this year. He still drives me crazy at times with lack of effort during an actual tournament or not having his "game face" on, but his abilities and drive have really developed.

Our last tournament was in OK, and he wrestled in both the novice and open. He got his butt kicked pretty good, but he won a few matches. Since then, though, he's really come on in practice. At the end of practice sometimes, we line all the kids up smallest to largest and do "king of the mat" where first points scored stays on the mat, then next biggest kid comes up.

The last two practices, he has "beat" 3 kids larger than him and held the mat. Two of these kids have absolutely destroyed him in the past as well.

Anyway, if he'll ever start getting a little quicker and more urgent in his movements, he may start being truly competitive. He has the head for it, his double leg shots are just slow, reaching things, and he is bad at anticipating his opponent's shot and sprawling before the opponent is into his legs.

Still, it's been a lot of fun.

Sorter 01-31-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11301777)
Well, it's been a pretty awesome first season of wrestling. While my youngest hasn't won any tournaments he's placed as high as 2nd in one (admittedly, a small bracket, but still).

We'll be heading up to Lebanon, MO next Sunday for a National Novice tournament.

My son has progressed so much this year. He still drives me crazy at times with lack of effort during an actual tournament or not having his "game face" on, but his abilities and drive have really developed.

Our last tournament was in OK, and he wrestled in both the novice and open. He got his butt kicked pretty good, but he won a few matches. Since then, though, he's really come on in practice. At the end of practice sometimes, we line all the kids up smallest to largest and do "king of the mat" where first points scored stays on the mat, then next biggest kid comes up.

The last two practices, he has "beat" 3 kids larger than him and held the mat. Two of these kids have absolutely destroyed him in the past as well.

Anyway, if he'll ever start getting a little quicker and more urgent in his movements, he may start being truly competitive. He has the head for it, his double leg shots are just slow, reaching things, and he is bad at anticipating his opponent's shot and sprawling before the opponent is into his legs.

Still, it's been a lot of fun.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7H4ueNGqZrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NewChief 01-31-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11301801)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7H4ueNGqZrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks. That's awesome!

They haven't really been teaching them that technique. It's been mainly double-leg sprawls, trying to get head control as you sprawl then spin to gain the opponent's back and score, break them down with a chop or ankle pick and run a half. Which tends to work all day with Division I around here, but I imagine isn't going to serve them well in the long run.

GloryDayz 02-02-2015 07:56 PM

****ing awesome!!!

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...ef&oe=55657991

rico 03-11-2015 09:30 AM

Interesting year this year for the brothers.

First off, our team won state for the first time in the history of our program. This was an unbelievably awesome experience.

Secondly, both the Junior and the Freshman won districts an qualified for state. The Freshman qualified at 120 and the Junior at 126. Better yet, they both made it to the semifinals when they got there. However, both of them had rough draws in the semis.

My Freshman brother drew a Junior who has not been beaten since the state finals his Freshman season...the kid placed second as a Freshman, 1st as a Sophomore and won it this year. To add on to this, coming into the semis match vs. my Freshman brother, in 48 matches, the kid had only been to the 3rd period twice all year. He had pinned or teched everyone except 2 guys he wrestled before the conclusion of the 2nd period coming into this match. The kid had just an insanely good season. And to say the least, my brother was a HUGE underdog coming into the match...being a Freshman, taking on future Mr. D1 in the semis. However, my brother ALMOST pulled the upset of the tournament. Was winning 8-6 with 50 seconds left in the match when he got taken down to his back and pinned with 8 seconds left. Prior to that happening though, the match was crazy...the crowd there was louder than I've ever heard it...In that entire 2nd period, the entire arena was on it's toes, thinking they were witnessing a major upset. It was pretty neat...wish he could have pulled it off.

Here is the video to that match. My brother is in the orange and black on mat 4:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n9JNfeHPXws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My Freshman brother didn't wrestle so well on the back side and placed 6th. Still pretty good for a Freshman at 120. Very proud of him. It's crazy listening to Mark Ironside and Dan Gable call the match and talk about my baby brothers and reference the history of our last name with the school we wrestle(d) for. Just crazy. I didn't even know they knew who we were...I mean, it's Gable and Ironside....Cool stuff. Ironside's commentary during this match was pretty funny...they basically zoned into my bros match after he put Rathbun on his back and didn't really pay attention to the other matches. He couldn't believe what he was watching.

My Junior brother was ranked #2 in the state and drew the #1 ranked guy in the semis. He was beaten, convincingly. He didn't have an answer to the guy's legs after he got taken down. The match is a bit hard to watch because it's kind of uneventful...my brother struggled to get anything going. For what it's worth, here is the video to that one. He is on mat 3.:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0stVmeH-Yho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My Junior brother placed 4th. Was beaten by the #3 ranked guy for 3rd and 4th. Frustrating thing is that the kid he beat in the finals at districts made the finals on the other side of the bracket and got worked by the champ who beat my bro in this video.

rico 03-11-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11307655)

Mizzou and Iowa was pretty interesting a couple weeks ago. Watching those little 125 lbers getting into it. LMAO

I loved Askren's stalling complaints rant later that week. He is a funny, unfiltered dude.

NewChief 03-11-2015 11:43 AM

Good stuff, rico!

We have state this weekend for the youth. My son peaked about 4 weeks ago, and he's really sort of lost his fire over the last few weeks. I'm not expecting much from him at State this week, but we'll see. Maybe he'll surprise me.

rico 03-11-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11375983)
Good stuff, rico!

We have state this weekend for the youth. My son peaked about 4 weeks ago, and he's really sort of lost his fire over the last few weeks. I'm not expecting much from him at State this week, but we'll see. Maybe he'll surprise me.

You never know! Things can be so unpredictable in wrestling. Best of luck to him! Keep us posted!

GloryDayz 03-11-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11375582)
Interesting year this year for the brothers.

First off, our team won state for the first time in the history of our program. This was an unbelievably awesome experience.

Secondly, both the Junior and the Freshman won districts an qualified for state. The Freshman qualified at 120 and the Junior at 126. Better yet, they both made it to the semifinals when they got there. However, both of them had rough draws in the semis.

My Freshman brother drew a Junior who has not been beaten since the state finals his Freshman season...the kid placed second as a Freshman, 1st as a Sophomore and won it this year. To add on to this, coming into the semis match vs. my Freshman brother, in 48 matches, the kid had only been to the 3rd period twice all year. He had pinned or teched everyone except 2 guys he wrestled before the conclusion of the 2nd period coming into this match. The kid had just an insanely good season. And to say the least, my brother was a HUGE underdog coming into the match...being a Freshman, taking on future Mr. D1 in the semis. However, my brother ALMOST pulled the upset of the tournament. Was winning 8-6 with 50 seconds left in the match when he got taken down to his back and pinned with 8 seconds left. Prior to that happening though, the match was crazy...the crowd there was louder than I've ever heard it...In that entire 2nd period, the entire arena was on it's toes, thinking they were witnessing a major upset. It was pretty neat...wish he could have pulled it off.

Here is the video to that match. My brother is in the orange and black on mat 4:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n9JNfeHPXws" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

My Freshman brother didn't wrestle so well on the back side and placed 6th. Still pretty good for a Freshman at 120. Very proud of him. It's crazy listening to Mark Ironside and Dan Gable call the match and talk about my baby brothers and reference the history of our last name with the school we wrestle(d) for. Just crazy. I didn't even know they knew who we were...I mean, it's Gable and Ironside....Cool stuff. Ironside's commentary during this match was pretty funny...they basically zoned into my bros match after he put Rathbun on his back and didn't really pay attention to the other matches. He couldn't believe what he was watching.

My Junior brother was ranked #2 in the state and drew the #1 ranked guy in the semis. He was beaten, convincingly. He didn't have an answer to the guy's legs after he got taken down. The match is a bit hard to watch because it's kind of uneventful...my brother struggled to get anything going. For what it's worth, here is the video to that one. He is on mat 3.:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0stVmeH-Yho" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

My Junior brother placed 4th. Was beaten by the #3 ranked guy for 3rd and 4th. Frustrating thing is that the kid he beat in the finals at districts made the finals on the other side of the bracket and got worked by the champ who beat my bro in this video.

Soooooo cool!!!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-11-2015 03:58 PM

Any post-season wrestling plans for the bros, Rico?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-11-2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11375983)
Good stuff, rico!

First year, right? Doesn't sound unusual. Wrestling is a weird sport for newcomers. Takes awhile for things to come together and start having success. I didn't really care for it my first two years, but by the time I was done, I wished I would have started as a youth. Best of luck at states.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-11-2015 04:15 PM

Btw, next week's NCAA Championship brackets come out in a bit. Iowa, tOSU, and Mizzou qualified 10 wrestlers. Minnesota with only 8 but they have tournament strength with their studs. Cornell has an outside shot with their 9 wrestlers.

Sorter 03-11-2015 04:16 PM

You going?

NewChief 03-11-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11376592)
First year, right? Doesn't sound unusual. Wrestling is a weird sport for newcomers. Takes awhile for things to come together and start having success. I didn't really care for it my first two years, but by the time I was done, I wished I would have started as a youth. Best of luck at states.

Yes. First year. Division I. It just drives me freaking nuts how inconsistent he is.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-11-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11376631)
You going?

No. Didn't land on my Spring Break this year. One day.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-11-2015 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11376633)
Yes. First year. Division I. It just drives me freaking nuts how inconsistent he is.

Maybe throw in a few international style practices this spring/summer. Freestyle and Greco are different enough that he could get that fire going again.

Iowanian 03-11-2015 04:32 PM

watched a couple of their matches, they had a great tournament Rico. Felt pretty bad for the other kid we talked about.

rico 03-11-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11376582)
Any post-season wrestling plans for the bros, Rico?

Starting off with the Mick Pickford Tri-State (IA, IL, MO) tourney in a couple weeks and from then on they will be hitting the freestyle and Greco scene hard. Both of their goals are to be All Americans at Fargo.

For college, I will be following diligently because I am in 2 pools and a fantasy wrestling league.

rico 03-11-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11376560)
Soooooo cool!!!

Thanks man!

rico 03-11-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11376670)
Maybe throw in a few international style practices this spring/summer. Freestyle and Greco are different enough that he could get that fire going again.

This for sure. It will totally diversify your boys style and capabilities for folkstyle due to experiencing different positions that he wouldn't find himself in during folkstyle.

rico 03-11-2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 11376681)
watched a couple of their matches, they had a great tournament Rico. Felt pretty bad for the other kid we talked about.

Thanks man! Brennan wrestled real well on the winner side, but man did he make some bone-headed mistakes that cost him in the consol-semis and for 5th and 6th. Freshman stuff, I hope...he could have very well pushed for 3rd of you take away 1-2 giant mistakes he made.

Shea wrestled pretty solid. He was set on winning it this year, and frankly... The champ dominated him...I felt bad for him for falling short there, but was happy about how he did as a whole. Nothing came easy for him like it did his 3 bros... He had to work his tail off and take baby steps in terms of progression since he was a 1st grader...and he has turned out to be a great little wrestler. I'm proud of my baby bros. :)

Sorter 03-11-2015 05:12 PM

Congrats Rico. Your brothers look good. Hope they can bring home some hardware this summer!

rico 03-11-2015 05:12 PM

If you guys were to select sleeper picks or surprise champs for NCAA Championships for each weight, who would you select to do well? I'm in a pool where the lower a guy is ranked, the more points you get if he does well.

Who are your picks for the champs at each weight?

Sorter 03-11-2015 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11301816)
Thanks. That's awesome!

They haven't really been teaching them that technique. It's been mainly double-leg sprawls, trying to get head control as you sprawl then spin to gain the opponent's back and score, break them down with a chop or ankle pick and run a half. Which tends to work all day with Division I around here, but I imagine isn't going to serve them well in the long run.

I'd definitely try to get your son drilling down blocking quite a bit.

rico 03-11-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11376794)
Congrats Rico. Your brothers look good. Hope they can bring home some hardware this summer!

Thanks man! They need to hit the weights real hard in the offseason and the older one needs to figure something out on bottom... If they do that, I think they will hopefully be on their way.

Sorter 03-11-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11376797)
If you guys were to select sleeper picks or surprise champs for NCAA Championships for each weight, who would you select to do well? I'm in a pool where the lower a guy is ranked, the more points you get if he does well.

My picks aren't very imaginative.

Champs:
125- Waters
133- Clark
141-Steiber
149- Houdashelt
157- Martinez
165- Dieringer
174- Kokesh
184- Dean
197- J'Den
HWT- McMullan

rico 03-11-2015 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11376819)
My picks aren't very imaginative.

Champs:
125- Waters
133- Clark
141-Steiber
149- Houdashelt
157- Martinez
165- Dieringer
174- Kokesh
184- Dean
197- J'Den
HWT- McMullan

My fantasy team consists of a lot of the guys you suggested the day before our draft...if they were available. I'm not winning, but I'm doing good. 3rd out of 12 teams so far!

Sorter 03-11-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11376823)
My fantasy team consists of a lot of the guys you suggested the day before our draft...if they were available. I'm not winning, but I'm doing good. 3rd out of 12 teams so far!

What's your lineup look like?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-11-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11376797)

Guys who didn't wrestle a full season got punished a bit in seeding. Im not sure if your pool is going off ranking or seeds, but if seeds, then Cory Brewer of OU is an obvious pick at 133. He is the 13 seed, but could place top 4. Tough weight though.

Hunter Stieber and Josh Kindig went unseeded at 149, but both are injury concerns. Stieber's elbows are shot and he got rag dolled in the consi-semis against an inferior wrestler at Big Tens. In his previous wins, he asked the ref not to raise his arm after the match. Serious pain.

Storley at 174 is a 6 seed and could easily make the finals.

Nick Dardanes at 141 is a 6 seed and could also make the finals, but there is speculation about his health as well.

Devin Carter at the 4 seed (141) is ridiculous, but the best he will do is 3rd because Stieber is on his side

Zack Beitz (12) at 149 has a good draw but with a limited ceiling (low AA)

Pierce Harger at 165 is a dangerous wrestler as a 7 seed. Avoids Dieringer, Sulzer,and Bo Jordan on the opposite side of the brcket. Tough first round draw though.

Brett Pfarr the 11 seed at 184 could make a run. The bottom side of that bracket is pretty open.

Coon as the 6 seed at 285 is a pretty decent pick.

TLO 03-11-2015 06:49 PM

I always thought this was a parody thread. Huh.

rico 03-14-2015 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11376829)
What's your lineup look like?

To be honest, I can't remember which wresters were your recommendation, for I've made 3 trades, but I'm sure a couple of them are...I know McMullan and Dechow were your recommendations. Thanks for that...my knowledge at this point is very solid with the high school and youth wrestlers...I just haven't had the time to follow college as much as I would like to. Here is my fantasy lineup...the regular season stuff is obviously over, and I got 3rd in that...now it's a separate tournament thing. 10 team league:

125: Waters
133: Clark
141: Mecate
149: Habat
157: Lavallee
165: Palacio
174: Weatherman
184: Dechow
197: Burak
HWT: McMullan
Flex: Pagdilao (149)
Flex: Heffernan (149)

... I am trying to make a trade with someone who is weak at 149..... not successful so far.

rico 03-14-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11376866)
Guys who didn't wrestle a full season got punished a bit in seeding. Im not sure if your pool is going off ranking or seeds, but if seeds, then Cory Brewer of OU is an obvious pick at 133. He is the 13 seed, but could place top 4. Tough weight though.

Hunter Stieber and Josh Kindig went unseeded at 149, but both are injury concerns. Stieber's elbows are shot and he got rag dolled in the consi-semis against an inferior wrestler at Big Tens. In his previous wins, he asked the ref not to raise his arm after the match. Serious pain.

Storley at 174 is a 6 seed and could easily make the finals.

Nick Dardanes at 141 is a 6 seed and could also make the finals, but there is speculation about his health as well.

Devin Carter at the 4 seed (141) is ridiculous, but the best he will do is 3rd because Stieber is on his side

Zack Beitz (12) at 149 has a good draw but with a limited ceiling (low AA)

Pierce Harger at 165 is a dangerous wrestler as a 7 seed. Avoids Dieringer, Sulzer,and Bo Jordan on the opposite side of the brcket. Tough first round draw though.

Brett Pfarr the 11 seed at 184 could make a run. The bottom side of that bracket is pretty open.

Coon as the 6 seed at 285 is a pretty decent pick.

It's based off of rankings, not seeds. I should have specified that. Still though, this post was super helpful. Thanks man.

I will post the rules of the pool that I am in...maybe we can get something like this started on here???

1.) Each entry will consist of 10 wrestlers. 1 wrestler per weight class.

2.) The top 15 ranked wrestlers in each weight class will be assigned a point value based on their ranking from 20 to 2. Here are the values:

Ranked 1: 20
Ranked 2: 17
Ranked 3: 15
Ranked 4: 14
Ranked 5: 12
Ranked 6: 11
Ranked 7: 9
Ranked 8: 8
Ranked 9: 6
Ranked 10: 5
Ranked 11: 4
Ranked 12: 3
Ranked 13: 2
Ranked 14: 2
Ranked 15: 2

3) TEAMS WILL HAVE A MAXIMUM OF 130 POINTS. THERE IS NO MINIMUM.

4.) CHAMPION BONUS: Each team will list its choice for champion at each weight class in a separate space provided. There are no values assigned, simply choose who you think will win. 2 points will be awarded for each correct pick. 2 points X 10 weight classes = 20 points possible. This is like adding a champion to your team.

6. Tie Breaker Criteria:

A.) Most champions on roster.
B.) Most All-Americans on roster.
C.) Most bonus pick champions.
D.) Highest Individul Scorer on Roster
E.) Split

* Then it goes into the money shit, that wouldn't apply here if we did this, but for what it's worth: 60% payout to 1st place, 25% payout to 2nd place, 15% payout to 3rd place.

MY TEAM:

125: Gilman (12)
133: Clark (12)
141: Stieber (20)
149: Tsirtsis (20)
157: Murphy (8)
165: Harger (9)
174: Wilps (9)
184: Pfarr (3)
197: J'Den (20)
HWT: McMullan (17)

*130 on the dot.

MY CHAMPION PICKS

141: Stieber
149: Houdashelt
157: Martinez
165: Dieringer
174: Kokesh
184: Dean
197: J'Den
Hwt: McMullan

Anyone want to try this out? Could be fun.

NewChief 03-14-2015 07:52 PM

The boy ended up placing 4th in State today. He wrestled well.

rico 03-14-2015 08:22 PM

Also, don't know which wrestling team you guys are fans of, but I am assuming there are some Mizzou fans in here. Thought I would drop a line about what my brothers are looking to do post-high school. Ben Askren handed out awards at Iowa Grade School State a few years ago. Every year, they have a wrestling celebrity hand out awards, hang out with the kids and sign autographs. One year it was Gable. Another year it was Rulon (that dude seemed depressed as hell...just a downer to be around). Another year they had Cory Clark and Jon Meeks...the year they won their 4th HS titles in Iowa. The year Askren handed out awards, my youngest brother (now a Freshman) pinned his way through the tourney and won OW for his division...he ended up winning that tourney 4 times, which is tied for the record. The older one (now a Junior) placed 3rd that year. They both got to talk to Askren for a while and they freaking loved him and because of his personality, he instantly became one of their favorite all time wrestlers along with Cary Kolat. Evidently they thought he was really funny and what-not...which my whole family appreciates humor.

Anyways, they are going to a 5 day camp with Askren this Summer and are super stoked about it. My Junior brother is looking to wrestle after college. He would like to wrestle D1, even if he has to walk on. He placed 7th at state as a Sophomore, 4th as a Junior this year (ranked 2nd all year and was put on the shitty side of the bracket...the kid he handled easily in the district finals placed 2nd...the Champion pretty much had his way with my bro in the semis, but that kid has brought it up a level this year...on of Iowa's best and a returning Fargo All-American) and has racked up a really good record to boot. He finished like 51-3 this season.

He is interested in 2 schools. UNI because his older bro wrestled there...plus some of his former teammates are there. I don't like this idea. Sorter may know why...

He is also interested in wrestling for Mizzou for 2 reasons: Askren being his favorite wrestler and the Miklus brothers. The Miklus's went to a school in Iowa called Southeast Polk, which is a 3A powerhouse... My bro is really good friends with an ex-teammate of Miklus's named Colin Strickland as well as a kid named Aaron Meyer. He got to know one of them through those two and really hit it off with him. He is friends with a lot of those Polk kids.

I realize he isn't currently like a total blue-chip, can't miss D1 prospect at the moment, but there are some positives with him. He is dedicated, and is ALWAYS attempting to actively learn and improve...Even if failed to improve from where he is at (which is unlikely...there hasn't been a year since he was in 1st grade that he hasn't taken at least a gradual step forward) he would be a nice kid to have in the room. Not to mention, he and my youngest brother are inseparable. It would most definitely be a package deal with those two no matter where he decides to go. And many people (mostly local) are predicting my youngest (Freshman) brother to be a 2-3 time state champion in Iowa. My youngest brother is a little rough around the edges, but is fearless and athletic as hell and extremely...dangerous... He did well at 120 lbs at state and physical maturity wise, he is still a little boy...just kind of hitting puberty now...is growing like me and I was 119 as a Freshman and the last time I wrestled in college, I was having to cut my ass off to make 184. If you watched the video a couple pages earlier, he almost upset the Iowan Junior in the semis at state who is arguably in the top 5 for being the best pound for pound Iowa high school wrestler in the state...DEFINITELY, one of the most dominant...pins or techs about everyone prior to the start of the 3rd period...and my bro was UP 7-4 to start the 3rd and UP 8-6 with 50 seconds left in the match when he got caught on his back. That kid, btw, is probably going to follow his idol, Derek St. John to South Dakota State...that team is hitting the Iowa high school kids hard and are landing some.

Last year, my youngest bro in Folkstyle finished his 8th grade year with a 70-something and 3 record. Lost to a California kid at the NUWAY Duals. Crapped his pants and blew a 5 point lead vs. one of his best friends, Garrett Niel at AAU State and lost a match in OT in a dual meet at the Park Hill Duals of all places to a kid from Kansas City area named Jake Beason. Anyone know of that kid or how he did as a Freshman this season? 2-3 years ago, my bro used to have battles with a Mizzou kid named Weston Diblasi, but those two have seemed to grow apart from each other in weight. Anyone know anything about either of those 2?

Anyways, for those who care...my bros are very interested in wrestling for Missouri. And I am all for it, but know very little about the program, excluding the obvious. Anyone want to fill me in on some of the ins and outs of Mizzou wrestling?

rico 03-14-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11383703)
The boy ended up placing 4th in State today. He wrestled well.

AWESOME!!!Missouri state or Kansas state tournament?! What grade? Wasn't this his 1st or second season wrestling? That is wonderful news! Congratulations to your boy! Looks like you may have a monster on your hands!

Wrestling becomes addicting once you either do it or have a loved one who becomes involved, doesn't it?

rico 03-14-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 11377057)
I always thought this was a parody thread. Huh.

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.c...ling-coach.jpg

Ugh.

Parody of what?

Let me guess. WWE?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...xauo1_1280.jpg

THAT'S NOT REAL WRASSLIN, YOU A-HOLE!!!

rico 03-14-2015 08:32 PM

One of the best matches ever between two of my favorite all time wrestlers:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cJbJEx1mLhI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cary Kolat is probably one of my faves of all time. Have you seen his technique videos? The guy has a knack for showing some real unique and effective wrestling moves and makes it interesting in the process.

I also like Ironside. Went to a camp of his when I was a 4th grade. The dude was really funny without trying to be and showed some really good set ups.

Did you know that Ironside (Cedar Rapids Jefferson) and Jeff McGinness (Iowa City High), both NCAA champs for Iowa, met when they were in high school and McGinness, I guess, majored him?!?! That is NUTS. I realize McGiness is awesome, but I can't even wrap my head around Ironside being majored.

rico 03-14-2015 08:33 PM

The infamous Cary Kolat back flip:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hld3Ps4q-5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rico 03-14-2015 08:44 PM

Just sick technique:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7LcTzACQ7Lo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_JmhIIhKjPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UNI's 125 pounder, Dylan Peters won 3 state championships and placed 2nd weighing 89 lbs. wrestling 106 his Freshman season. His bread and butter move, was this cement job that Koiat shows. He used to DESTROY kids with this move:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CxiVT15FHDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My personal favorite:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KSiLrFCM8zY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dwGlacEUwDU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VGpUmYSNB3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dopZ12vmEwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KYMOLUZ6G_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously...this dude is amazing. NewChief: If you ever get a chance, show your son some of this stuff...the way he explains it makes it pretty easy to understand, even for a youth wrestler.

My brothers' Christmas present from me this year was a subscription to Kolat.com. :)

Sorter 03-14-2015 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11383759)
Also, don't know which wrestling team you guys are fans of, but I am assuming there are some Mizzou fans in here. Thought I would drop a line about what my brothers are looking to do post-high school. Ben Askren handed out awards at Iowa Grade School State a few years ago. Every year, they have a wrestling celebrity hand out awards, hang out with the kids and sign autographs. One year it was Gable. Another year it was Rulon (that dude seemed depressed as hell...just a downer to be around). Another year they had Cory Clark and Jon Meeks...the year they won their 4th HS titles in Iowa. The year Askren handed out awards, my youngest brother (now a Freshman) pinned his way through the tourney and won OW for his division...he ended up winning that tourney 4 times, which is tied for the record. The older one (now a Junior) placed 3rd that year. They both got to talk to Askren for a while and they freaking loved him and because of his personality, he instantly became one of their favorite all time wrestlers along with Cary Kolat. Evidently they thought he was really funny and what-not...which my whole family appreciates humor.

Anyways, they are going to a 5 day camp with Askren this Summer and are super stoked about it. My Junior brother is looking to wrestle after college. He would like to wrestle D1, even if he has to walk on. He placed 7th at state as a Sophomore, 4th as a Junior this year (ranked 2nd all year and was put on the shitty side of the bracket...the kid he handled easily in the district finals placed 2nd...the Champion pretty much had his way with my bro in the semis, but that kid has brought it up a level this year...on of Iowa's best and a returning Fargo All-American) and has racked up a really good record to boot. He finished like 51-3 this season.

He is interested in 2 schools. UNI because his older bro wrestled there...plus some of his former teammates are there. I don't like this idea. Sorter may know why...

He is also interested in wrestling for Mizzou for 2 reasons: Askren being his favorite wrestler and the Miklus brothers. The Miklus's went to a school in Iowa called Southeast Polk, which is a 3A powerhouse... My bro is really good friends with an ex-teammate of Miklus's named Colin Strickland as well as a kid named Aaron Meyer. He got to know one of them through those two and really hit it off with him. He is friends with a lot of those Polk kids.

I realize he isn't currently like a total blue-chip, can't miss D1 prospect at the moment, but there are some positives with him. He is dedicated, and is ALWAYS attempting to actively learn and improve...Even if failed to improve from where he is at (which is unlikely...there hasn't been a year since he was in 1st grade that he hasn't taken at least a gradual step forward) he would be a nice kid to have in the room. Not to mention, he and my youngest brother are inseparable. It would most definitely be a package deal with those two no matter where he decides to go. And many people (mostly local) are predicting my youngest (Freshman) brother to be a 2-3 time state champion in Iowa. My youngest brother is a little rough around the edges, but is fearless and athletic as hell and extremely...dangerous... He did well at 120 lbs at state and physical maturity wise, he is still a little boy...just kind of hitting puberty now...is growing like me and I was 119 as a Freshman and the last time I wrestled in college, I was having to cut my ass off to make 184. If you watched the video a couple pages earlier, he almost upset the Iowan Junior in the semis at state who is arguably in the top 5 for being the best pound for pound Iowa high school wrestler in the state...DEFINITELY, one of the most dominant...pins or techs about everyone prior to the start of the 3rd period...and my bro was UP 7-4 to start the 3rd and UP 8-6 with 50 seconds left in the match when he got caught on his back. That kid, btw, is probably going to follow his idol, Derek St. John to South Dakota State...that team is hitting the Iowa high school kids hard and are landing some.

Last year, my youngest bro in Folkstyle finished his 8th grade year with a 70-something and 3 record. Lost to a California kid at the NUWAY Duals. Crapped his pants and blew a 5 point lead vs. one of his best friends, Garrett Niel at AAU State and lost a match in OT in a dual meet at the Park Hill Duals of all places to a kid from Kansas City area named Jake Beason. Anyone know of that kid or how he did as a Freshman this season? 2-3 years ago, my bro used to have battles with a Mizzou kid named Weston Diblasi, but those two have seemed to grow apart from each other in weight. Anyone know anything about either of those 2?

Anyways, for those who care...my bros are very interested in wrestling for Missouri. And I am all for it, but know very little about the program, excluding the obvious. Anyone want to fill me in on some of the ins and outs of Mizzou wrestling?

Send me a PM.

Sorter 03-14-2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11383791)
Just sick technique:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7LcTzACQ7Lo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_JmhIIhKjPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UNI's 125 pounder, Dylan Peters won 3 state championships and placed 2nd weighing 89 lbs. wrestling 106 his Freshman season. His bread and butter move, was this cement job that Koiat shows. He used to DESTROY kids with this move:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CxiVT15FHDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My personal favorite:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KSiLrFCM8zY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dwGlacEUwDU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VGpUmYSNB3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dopZ12vmEwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KYMOLUZ6G_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously...this dude is amazing. NewChief: If you ever get a chance, show your son some of this stuff...the way he explains it makes it pretty easy to understand, even for a youth wrestler.

My brothers' Christmas present from me this year was a subscription to Kolat.com. :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SttbwEO_VZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rico 03-15-2015 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11384087)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SttbwEO_VZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rock on. I'll check this out when I get home. Phone only has 2 reception bars right now.

You guys gonna get into that wrestling contest I posted above? Sorter? Rudy? Brianfo? GloryDayz? Anyone who follows wrestling? I'll have to post a link to the rankings so you all know the values.

rico 03-15-2015 12:55 AM

Rankings can be found here: http://www.intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college

I can copy and paste them when I get to a computer tomorrow...

Sorter 03-15-2015 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11384140)
Rock on. I'll check this out when I get home. Phone only has 2 reception bars right now.

You guys gonna get into that wrestling contest I posted above? Sorter? Rudy? Brianfo? GloryDayz? Anyone who follows wrestling? I'll have to post a link to the rankings so you all know the values.

There's a whole clinic of OSU stuff if you look at the user's uploaded videos.

rico 03-15-2015 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 11384087)

Awesome! I know what the bros, dad and I will be spending an hour doing in the near future (watching this). Thanks Sorter!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-15-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11383694)
It's based off of rankings, not seeds. I should have specified that. Still though, this post was super helpful. Thanks man.

I will post the rules of the pool that I am in...maybe we can get something like this started on here???

1.) Each entry will consist of 10 wrestlers. 1 wrestler per weight class.

2.) The top 15 ranked wrestlers in each weight class will be assigned a point value based on their ranking from 20 to 2. Here are the values:

Ranked 1: 20
Ranked 2: 17
Ranked 3: 15
Ranked 4: 14
Ranked 5: 12
Ranked 6: 11
Ranked 7: 9
Ranked 8: 8
Ranked 9: 6
Ranked 10: 5
Ranked 11: 4
Ranked 12: 3
Ranked 13: 2
Ranked 14: 2
Ranked 15: 2

3) TEAMS WILL HAVE A MAXIMUM OF 130 POINTS. THERE IS NO MINIMUM.

4.) CHAMPION BONUS: Each team will list its choice for champion at each weight class in a separate space provided. There are no values assigned, simply choose who you think will win. 2 points will be awarded for each correct pick. 2 points X 10 weight classes = 20 points possible. This is like adding a champion to your team.

6. Tie Breaker Criteria:

A.) Most champions on roster.
B.) Most All-Americans on roster.
C.) Most bonus pick champions.
D.) Highest Individul Scorer on Roster
E.) Split

* Then it goes into the money shit, that wouldn't apply here if we did this, but for what it's worth: 60% payout to 1st place, 25% payout to 2nd place, 15% payout to 3rd place.

MY TEAM:

125: Gilman (12)
133: Clark (12)
141: Stieber (20)
149: Tsirtsis (20)
157: Murphy (8)
165: Harger (9)
174: Wilps (9)
184: Pfarr (3)
197: J'Den (20)
HWT: McMullan (17)

*130 on the dot.

MY CHAMPION PICKS

141: Stieber
149: Houdashelt
157: Martinez
165: Dieringer
174: Kokesh
184: Dean
197: J'Den
Hwt: McMullan

Anyone want to try this out? Could be fun.

Sure. Ill put up a lineup and see how it does against yours.

Team- 129 points

125- Garrett 15
133- Hall 9
141- Stieber 20
149- Houdashelt 17
157- Green 14
165- Dieringer 20
174- Epperly 6
184- Brooks 4
197- Schiller 12
Hwt- Coon 12

Champions

125- Garrett
133- Taylor
141- Stieber
149- Houdashelt
157- Martinez
165- Dieringer
174- Kokesh
184- Thomusseit
197- Gadson
Hwt- Gwiazdowski

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-15-2015 07:40 AM

I've always heard positive things about coach Brian Smith at Mizzou. I don't have any connections to the program, but by all accounts they are easily one of the best in the nation.

Follow the link and it'll take you to a little walkthrough of the facilities with Brian Smith (from last year).

Also, on the right side of the page, you'll find more Mizzou wrestling videos --interviews with wrestlers, more Brian Smith, etc.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage...s#.VQWKBix0zIU

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-15-2015 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11383759)

Anyone know of that kid or how he did as a Freshman this season? 2-3 years ago, my bro used to have battles with a Mizzou kid named Weston Diblasi, but those two have seemed to grow apart from each other in weight. Anyone know anything about either of those 2?

I never mind entering the wormhole that is trackwrestling.com to look up results

Jacob Beeson- 126 pounds
-1st at the prestigious Tulsa Kickoff Classic at 15 and under- 125 pounds
- 3rd at 5A Kansas state championships

Notable matches:
Lost 9-7 to multiple Fargo AA Matthew Schmitt of Missouri
Lost 9-5 to Bettendorf wrestler and 3A state placer Jackson Gallagher
Lost 3-2 to 2014 folkstyle nationals runner-up and OU commit Sean DeShazor

Weston DiBlasi- 126 pounds
USAW Preseason nationals- 5th
Kansas City Stampede- 7th
Walsh Ironman (toughest tournament in the nation)- 1-2
Class 4 state championships- 6th

Notable matches/matchups:
Went 1-2 against Colorado state champion Jacob Greenwood
Beat Oklahoma 6A runner-up Dalton Duffield (120 pounds) 8-6
Beat Oklahoma 6A third place finisher Brandon Bright (120 pounds) 5-4

rico 03-15-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11384234)
Sure. Ill put up a lineup and see how it does against yours.

Team- 129 points

125- Garrett 15
133- Hall 9
141- Stieber 20
149- Houdashelt 17
157- Green 14
165- Dieringer 20
174- Epperly 6
184- Brooks 4
197- Schiller 12
Hwt- Coon 12

Champions

125- Garrett
133- Taylor
141- Stieber
149- Houdashelt
157- Martinez
165- Dieringer
174- Kokesh
184- Thomusseit
197- Gadson
Hwt- Gwiazdowski

I had someone at work give me all kinds of shit for going all in with the 20 points for J'den Cox instead of for Dieringer at 165. Dude wouldn't drop it for 30 minutes. I work with a bunch of wrestlers.

rico 03-15-2015 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11384274)
I never mind entering the wormhole that is trackwrestling.com to look up results

Jacob Beeson- 126 pounds
-1st at the prestigious Tulsa Kickoff Classic at 15 and under- 125 pounds
- 3rd at 5A Kansas state championships

Notable matches:
Lost 9-7 to multiple Fargo AA Matthew Schmitt of Missouri
Lost 9-5 to Bettendorf wrestler and 3A state placer Jackson Gallagher
Lost 3-2 to 2014 folkstyle nationals runner-up and OU commit Sean DeShazor

Weston DiBlasi- 126 pounds
USAW Preseason nationals- 5th
Kansas City Stampede- 7th
Walsh Ironman (toughest tournament in the nation)- 1-2
Class 4 state championships- 6th

Notable matches/matchups:
Went 1-2 against Colorado state champion Jacob Greenwood
Beat Oklahoma 6A runner-up Dalton Duffield (120 pounds) 8-6
Beat Oklahoma 6A third place finisher Brandon Bright (120 pounds) 5-4

I've been spelling Beeson's name incorrectly all along. No wonder it was a bitch trying to find him on track. Sounds like that kid was the real deal. I can't believe he got beat by Gallagher, though. Gallagher is a kid who I've watched for 6-7 years and just last year/this year he started beating some top notch kids and doing well...He used to be a "place in the top 8 IF he places type of kid," but now he seems to be beating hammers. I guess I'll just have to accept Gallagher as a legit, borderline elite kid.

Diblasi isn't too shabby either, it appears.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03-15-2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11384338)
I had someone at work give me all kinds of shit for going all in with the 20 points for J'den Cox instead of for Dieringer at 165. Dude wouldn't drop it for 30 minutes. I work with a bunch of wrestlers.

Bo Jordan will give Dieringer a hell of a match, IMO. Don't see much of a difference between picking one over the other with regard to Cox/Dieringer. The only reason I didn't pick Cox is because of rooting interest. I really would like to see Gadson win. The only thing I saw that was a little off was spending 20 on Tsirtsis and then picking Houdashelt. Are you hedging?

rico 03-15-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 11384348)
Bo Jordan will give Dieringer a hell of a match, IMO. Don't see much of a difference between picking one over the other with regard to Cox/Dieringer. The only reason I didn't pick Cox is because of rooting interest. I really would like to see Gadson win. The only thing I saw that was a little off was spending 20 on Tsirtsis and then picking Houdashelt. Are you hedging?

Yes indeed, I am.

I do think this is Houdashelt's year though. Wrestling great, plus he's been an All-American twice already, hasn't he?

If I had to pick one, it'd be Houdashelt....but I did decide to hedge there to be safe.

NewChief 03-16-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 11383761)
AWESOME!!!Missouri state or Kansas state tournament?! What grade? Wasn't this his 1st or second season wrestling? That is wonderful news! Congratulations to your boy! Looks like you may have a monster on your hands!

Wrestling becomes addicting once you either do it or have a loved one who becomes involved, doesn't it?

This was in Arkansas, so placing 4th isn't as impressive as it would be in MO or KS or IA. This was his first season, and he wrestles in division I down here due to his birthday (in Missouri tournaments, he wrestles division II).

Anyway, it was a lot of fun throughout the season. I'm definitely going to show him some of those awesome videos that were posted. Very cool.

NewChief 03-16-2015 10:08 AM

Bear with me, as I'm new to this and it may be obvious: what's the best way to get a return to a guy who stands up? People constantly get escapes from my son after he gets their back. He'll ankle pick to try to break them down from their base, and that's pretty successful. If they get stood up, though, and he's behind them with his arms wrapped abound their belly with a gable grip, he just sort of gets lots and they eventually peel his hands and escape.

rico 03-19-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11386299)
Bear with me, as I'm new to this and it may be obvious: what's the best way to get a return to a guy who stands up? People constantly get escapes from my son after he gets their back. He'll ankle pick to try to break them down from their base, and that's pretty successful. If they get stood up, though, and he's behind them with his arms wrapped abound their belly with a gable grip, he just sort of gets lots and they eventually peel his hands and escape.

You'll see a lot of guys lock up around the opponent's waist, lift and attempt to return them to the mat. IMO, this burns a lot of energy. I always preferred going down to a single leg and tripping them back down to the mat in that situation.

rico 03-19-2015 03:45 PM

A lot of odd results at the NCAA's today...

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 06:27 PM

On ESPN now...

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 06:55 PM

Alan Waters going undefeated through his senior season and losing in the national semis is about the most Mizzou thing ever.

Captain Obvious 03-20-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11395440)
Alan Waters going undefeated through his senior season and losing in the national semis is about the most Mizzou thing ever.

And it was in the last few seconds.

WhawhaWhat 03-20-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 11395440)

Also moving into 2nd place and then getting a guy DQ'd to lose all his points.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 11395445)
Also moving into 2nd place and then getting a guy DQ'd to lose all his points.

What? Found it. I didn't even know Eblen got DQ'd.

Houdashelt with the takedown.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 07:09 PM

Woot!

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 07:10 PM

Houdashelt won his match comfortably.

I have a question for the knowledgeable wrestling posters:

It seems like Missouri is eking out of a bunch of close wins, and their dominant wrestlers are only barely winning point-wise, even thought they dominate most of the match.

Do they normally wrestle a conservative style as a team? It seems like it cost them a lot of potential points.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 07:24 PM

A kid from Minnesota, Dylan Ness, makes it all the way to the national semifinals, gets hurt, and has to forfeit. That's tragic.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 07:28 PM

All things being equal (and I'll say it again), riding time is a tragic part of this sport.

It promotes "non-wrestling", and there's little difference (to me) between gaining riding time and stalling.

WhawhaWhat 03-20-2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 11395478)
All things being equal (and I'll say it again), riding time is a tragic part of this sport.

It promotes "non-wrestling", and there's little difference (to me) between gaining riding time and stalling.

Absolutely agree. No different than if the NFL passed a rule that allowed 3 points for leading time of possession.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 08:29 PM

This kid from EDIN is amazing!

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 08:30 PM

Mayes and Mellon were recently eliminated. Miklus is against the #3 seed in wrestlebacks shortly, then Cox faces the #4 seeded wrestler from Ohio State.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 08:30 PM

Wow, 13 gave 1 a hell of a run!

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 08:32 PM

"When I said no to GT football"!!!! Lough out ****ING loud!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 08:35 PM

I know next to nothing about wrestling, but a ton of my close friends in HS were wrestlers. I have massive respect for the sacrifice and tenacity that the sport involves. If I had a boy, I'd definitely be proud to have him wrestle. It builds character in a way that other sports just narrativize about.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 08:38 PM

Cox is going now. If this were a random match, I'd assume Cox would win, but I'm worried that Mizzou will happen.

And just as I type that, Snyder gets a takedown on Cox. Just Mizzou.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 08:38 PM

Shit!

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-20-2015 08:42 PM

Cox got the escape, and then after starting the second period on the bottom, got another escape to tie it up at two.

GloryDayz 03-20-2015 08:44 PM

Cox needs to do more than this.. C'mon man!