ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Hall of Classics (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Not much of a craftsman but I'm pretty proud of this... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=174928)

pr_capone 11-19-2007 11:54 PM

Not much of a craftsman but I'm pretty proud of this...

We installed a doggy door but fat-ass, our 10 yr old wiener dog, can't make it to the door itself when going from out to in. So.... I built her a ramp today. Took me about 3 hours from design to completed product.

I used scraps from the fence we just put up to build it.

Front View
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4277/pict0066ig1.jpg

Side View
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5597/pict0067wb9.jpg

Just going to lay down some sand paper tommorow so she can get some grip and actually make it up the ramp. :D

Taco John 11-19-2007 11:57 PM

What year is your camaro?

pr_capone 11-19-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
What year is your camaro?

?

Bugeater 11-20-2007 12:00 AM

It would've only taken you a few seconds to fill up a bowl with antifreeze.

pr_capone 11-20-2007 12:02 AM

Kidding me? The missus would kill me. :D

Phobia 11-20-2007 12:03 AM

You're right. You're no craftsman.

KcMizzou 11-20-2007 12:04 AM

I woulda just put the doggy door lower.

:D

Phobia 11-20-2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou

Heh. I've done stupid stuff before.

TinyEvel 11-20-2007 12:06 AM

Why didn't you just mount the door lower?

just askin'

Phobia 11-20-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
You're right. You're no craftsman.

I apologize. I can't expect everybody to be brilliant. You probably did that with a handsaw and roofing nails, huh? My early projects looked like that as well. Buy some decent tools and keep at it.

Bugeater 11-20-2007 12:07 AM

Just out of curiosity, why did you install the doggie-door six inches above the floor to begin with?

RJ 11-20-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Or get a taller dog.

Actually, I admire the work. I'm not particularly handy with those type projects so ingenuity always impresses me.

Phobia 11-20-2007 12:10 AM

I really need to know what that grey stuff is there at the apex of the ramp. Is that putty?

pr_capone 11-20-2007 12:11 AM

The doggy door is mounted 6 inches above the floor on the inside where it is supposed to be. lol

The house sits on a slab so I had to improvise. :D

Phobia 11-20-2007 12:12 AM

Seriously though, in 3 hours I could have driven to Wichita, put that thing together, and driven home with 20 minutes to spare. You should hire me next time.

pr_capone 11-20-2007 12:13 AM

Quote:

I really need to know what that grey stuff is there at the apex of the ramp. Is that putty?

No... its my piss poor craftsmanship. lol

The grey stuff is wood.... it is the inside of weather treated fence paneling.

It really is the best I could do with the tools I had available. :(

Phobia 11-20-2007 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone
The doggy door is mounted 6 inches above the floor on the inside where it is supposed to be. lol

The house sits on a slab so I had to improvise. :D

Not it's not, not unless the screen door is mounted 4 inches below the slab. You're talking to pros here. I know these things.

pr_capone 11-20-2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

Seriously though, in 3 hours I could have driven to Wichita, put that thing together, and driven home with 20 minutes to spare. You should hire me next time.

Damn... you guys sure know how to make a guy feel good. :deevee:

It might be easy for you bud but I am not a handy man in any way shape or form.... my talents lay elsewhere.

On the other hand, give me a completely disassembled computer and I'll have it up and running in no time.

Phobia 11-20-2007 12:16 AM

I'm kidding. It takes 2.5 hours to drive to Wichita.

TinyEvel 11-20-2007 12:17 AM

Quote:

It might be easy for you bud but I am not a handy man in any way shape or form.... my talents lay elsewhere.

On the other hand, give me a completely disassembled computer and I'll have it up and running in no time.

Dude, I think you did a great job.

fuck these critical know-it-all's

:thumb:

Bugeater 11-20-2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

No... its my piss poor craftsmanship. lol

The grey stuff is wood.... it is the inside of weather treated fence paneling.

It really is the best I could do with the tools I had available. :(

Believe me, I know the feeling. I've done so much with so little for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

pr_capone 11-20-2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Not it's not, not unless the screen door is mounted 4 inches below the slab. You're talking to pros here. I know these things.

Yes it is *sigh*

Sprite bottle as a point of reference

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5017/pict0068bk5.jpg

a1na2 11-20-2007 12:21 AM

The bigger question is: Does the dog use the door and ramp?

If the dog uses it, the purpose is achieved. You do know that when the dog gets a little older you might need to add rails to meet OSHA requirements, you don't the dog to sue you if he/she falls off the ramp! Remember .... safety first!

Phobia is right about one thing. Buy good tools to do the job. Over the years I've been adding to my tool assortment. I plan on doing as much of the finish work on our new home as I can and you gotta have the right tools.

pr_capone 11-20-2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1na2
The bigger question is: Does the dog use the door and ramp?

My dog uses the ramp and door... the other one will use the door to get out but slides off the ramp when she tries to go back in.

That is why I will be putting down sandpaper.... give her some grip to make it up the ramp.

Quote:

Phobia is right about one thing. Buy good tools to do the job. Over the years I've been adding to my tool assortment. I plan on doing as much of the finish work on our new home as I can and you gotta have the right tools.
I plan to..... but TBH, I don't even know where to begin to add my my miniscule tool collection. lol

pr_capone 11-20-2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

I apologize. I can't expect everybody to be brilliant. You probably did that with a handsaw and roofing nails, huh? My early projects looked like that as well. Buy some decent tools and keep at it.

I actually purchased deck screws for this.

babymama 11-20-2007 01:07 AM

i bet that addition doubles the value of your trailer.

ClevelandBronco 11-20-2007 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymama

You registered in July on a pro football board and waited for this thread to register post #1 in November? Smack about a weekend handyman job?

You're one strange mama.

KcMizzou 11-20-2007 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco
You registered in July on a pro football board and waited for this thread to register post #1 in November? Smack about a weekend handyman job?

You're one strange mama.

It really does take all kinds...

pr_capone 11-20-2007 01:51 AM

Jeez..... I never claimed to be Bob f00kin Villa here.

KcMizzou 11-20-2007 01:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Jeez..... I never claimed to be Bob f00kin Villa here.

Can you be Bob Ross?

pr_capone 11-20-2007 01:55 AM

Quote:

Can you be Bob Ross?

I was thinking about painting a happy little bush here and there on the ramp. :D

I'd prolly f00k it up though. I should hire Phobia.... I hear that guy is the shit.

luv 11-20-2007 01:57 AM

Quote:

I should hire Phobia.... I hear that guy is the shit.

Just ask him. He'll tell ya.

pr_capone 11-20-2007 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv

LOL

Don't really need to... he has said so himself about 5 times in this thread alone.

Phobia 11-20-2007 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv

Actually, I suck.

luv 11-20-2007 02:06 AM

Quote:

Actually, I suck.

You're just fishing for a compliment. Not gonna happen. :harumph:

:p

Phobia 11-20-2007 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv
You're just fishing for a compliment. Not gonna happen. :harumph:

:p

No, I really do suck. I'm only about half as good as I claim.

teedubya 11-20-2007 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymama

that was the funniest thing I have read on here in a long time, and its their first post. awesome.

luv 11-20-2007 02:09 AM

Quote:

That still leaves room for you to be really good.

Valiant 11-20-2007 02:12 AM

Quote:

You know some woman whose name started with the letter P said the same thing.. lol

blueballs 11-20-2007 02:31 AM

the poor dog is going to need skis
in a couple of months

blueballs 11-20-2007 02:33 AM

nail some thin strips of wood for grip on that ramp

HMc 11-20-2007 04:31 AM

nice healthy lawn you've got there

Simplex3 11-20-2007 07:06 AM

Quote:

Realizing that it's a slab house, I still have to make this joke:

He didn't want to let the air out of the tires enough to lower his house that far.

Simplex3 11-20-2007 07:13 AM

On a side note, don't put sandpaper on there. The dog will hate it and might even quit using it altogether. Additionally it will rot and wear off in a month or two and won't do jack s**t in the winter.

They have several products at your local hardware store specifically for giving a surface traction.

penguinz 11-20-2007 07:19 AM

Quote:

I can assemble that computer, build that ramp and still be able to watch the last 3 quarters of the football game. ;)

the Talking Can 11-20-2007 07:21 AM

so does your dog just fall out the other side like a hot dog coming off a production line?

sounds like a youtube vid

Skip Towne 11-20-2007 07:28 AM

Phobia could have made that ramp cost $5000.

DaKCMan AP 11-20-2007 07:43 AM

I'm not sure the slope of the ramp meets OSHA requirements.

JohninGpt 11-20-2007 08:13 AM

Quote:

My dog uses the ramp and door... the other one will use the door to get out but slides off the ramp when she tries to go back in.

That is why I will be putting down sandpaper.... give her some grip to make it up the ramp.

Make your middle supports shorter creating one long, but more shallow incline. That should allow Fatass to climb it without sandpaper or nonskid.

Baby Lee 11-20-2007 08:16 AM

http://www.mydoggysteps.com/

HonestChieffan 11-20-2007 08:18 AM

Looks like you should apply for the job designing the new Interstate Bridge in Minneapolis. You did good. Screw em if they dont like your dog ramp.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka 11-20-2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater
Believe me, I know the feeling. I've done so much with so little for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Your no Herm Edwards.

tooge 11-20-2007 09:34 AM

I'm no construction guru here, but why not just a small box or a step? Seems like it would have been easier. Oh, and there is nothing wrong with a trailer. Is that a doublewide?

chasedude 11-20-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP
I'm not sure the slope of the ramp meets OSHA requirements.

Don't forget to get he building permit from your local gov't otherwise they make you tear it down.

chasedude 11-20-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee

LMAO The old guy in the video "He can jump pretty well with those short legs but he can't quite jump into bed"

pr_capone 11-20-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc
nice healthy lawn you've got there

We just moved in a month ago.... we have not had time to do anything with the Bermuda grass that was already there.

TBH, not sure we will either.

a1na2 11-20-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Phobia could have made that ramp cost $5000.

Probably more with the right type of non-skid for the puppy pads.

pr_capone 11-20-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee

We tried steps before. Fatass flat out refused to use them.

Damn stubborn dog.

smittysbar 11-20-2007 10:08 AM

I gues if it gets the job done.

If you ever decide to build a deck.....please for the safty of your family, hire someone. lol

pr_capone 11-20-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge
I'm no construction guru here, but why not just a small box or a step? Seems like it would have been easier. Oh, and there is nothing wrong with a trailer. Is that a doublewide?

The home was built in 1950.... and it does have green grass lol

http://media.point2.com/p2a/listing/...9/w210h157.jpg

pr_capone 11-20-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar
I gues if it gets the job done.

If you ever decide to build a deck.....please for the safty of your family, hire someone. lol

LMFAO

no brainer

ROYC75 11-20-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Actually, I suck.

Refrences ?

Goatboy
Denverchief

Just asking , OK !

DenverChief 11-20-2007 10:25 AM

and now these words

Quote:

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla., Nov. 13 A Florida man died after getting stuck in a cat door while apparently trying to sneak into his girlfriend's house after she kicked him out.

Officers said when they found Charles Tucker Jr., 32, in the cat door Saturday morning in the St. Augustine, Fla., house, it was not their first encounter with him.

Police said that on Friday they found him slumped over the wheel of his car. He was taken to the hospital and released, according to WJXT in Jacksonville, Fla.

Witnesses said they believe Tucker might have passed out and died since there was no sign of a struggle and his girlfriend was inside and would have heard him, the station reported.

The cause of death hasn't been determined pending autopsy results.
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/141369.html

ROYC75 11-20-2007 10:28 AM

Just nail down some 1x2 strips for him, he'll thank you with a doggie kiss, the sandpaper will rub his paws down and sharpen his nails.

Kylo Ren 11-20-2007 11:03 AM

I can't see those pics. All I see is a red X. And I REALLY want to see them.

Maybe you should have just jacked the house up 6 inches?

pr_capone 11-20-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan
I can't see those pics. All I see is a red X. And I REALLY want to see them.

Maybe you should have just jacked the house up 6 inches?

If you were hoping to see a board propped up with 2 sticks you will be sorely dissapointed. Or not... LOL

As for jacking up the house..... then I would have needed a much bigger ramp. :p

a1na2 11-20-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

LMFAO

no brainer

Actually a good DIY book will tell you what tools you need and what supplies you need to do it yourself.

You can do it and you can save money doing it.

ottawa_chiefs_fan 11-20-2007 11:25 AM

The best thing about this project is that when you are finished with it, you can cut a trap door in it and sell it to Mike Vick when he is released as a hangdog's gallows.

StcChief 11-20-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

We installed a doggy door but fat-ass, our 10 yr old wiener dog, can't make it to the door itself when going from out to in. So.... I built her a ramp today. Took me about 3 hours from design to completed product.

I used scraps from the fence we just put up to build it.

Front View
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4277/pict0066ig1.jpg

Side View
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5597/pict0067wb9.jpg

Just going to lay down some sand paper tommorow so she can get some grip and actually make it up the ramp. :D

Put on some side rails so the fat dog doesn't fall this winter onto concrete....

morphius 11-20-2007 11:32 AM

I was hoping that you had found a way to utilize a trebuchet to help the dog enter the house.

Wile_E_Coyote 11-20-2007 11:33 AM

I reckon you could have put a doggie door in the people door. Don't know about doggie door screen doors though

catfish307 11-20-2007 02:35 PM

Don't use sandpaper it will rot. get your dog some little doggy golf shoes for this winter. But first make a sign and hang above the door to remind her to take them off before entering.

StcChief 11-20-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catfish307
Don't use sandpaper it will rot. get your dog some little doggy golf shoes for this winter. But first make a sign and hang above the door to remind her to take them off before entering.

Go with th staple on rubber grippers.... all this for dog wow.

pr_capone 11-20-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wile_E_Coyote
I reckon you could have put a doggie door in the people door. Don't know about doggie door screen doors though

We thought about that but I did not want to spend another $70 on another doggy door for the screen door.

Not only that but if we had, the Heeler would have been able to manage it no problem but the wiener dog with its stubby legs prolly could not.

pr_capone 11-20-2007 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StcChief
Go with th staple on rubber grippers.... all this for dog wow.

That is where I am leaning to now. Did not think about the sand paper rotting off.

All this? It really was not that big of a deal. Its only my second time working with wood to build something so I rather enjoyed it.

Not only that but the wife would not have left me alone until I had done something for her dog to get in and out as she pleases.

Really though... better than having the old girl piss and shit everywhere.

HonestChieffan 11-20-2007 02:48 PM

How do you keep some kill crazed pitbull running in your neighborhood from coming into your house?

Lzen 11-20-2007 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I have some of this that you can have.

ClevelandBronco 11-20-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

...Not only that but the wife would not have left me alone until I had done something for her dog to get in and out as she pleases.

Really though... better than having the old girl piss and shit everywhere.

I assume you're talking about the dog and not your wife.

Wives that p*** and s*** everywhere are generally not accepted in good company.

Phobia 11-20-2007 02:50 PM

You could use emory cloth for the sandpaper. It won't rot off. At least not anytime soon.

HonestChieffan 11-20-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco
I assume you're talking about the dog and not your wife.

Wives that p*** and s*** everywhere are generally not accepted in good company.

You owe me for a keyboard cleaning. Spitting coffee through my nose is high praise for this post. Huzzah.