ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Anyone have an Instant Pot? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=297133)

BigMeatballDave 12-31-2015 04:10 PM

I bought one back in May.

Quicker at making pulled pork.

Fire Me Boy! 12-31-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11988431)
I bought one back in May.

Quicker at making pulled pork.

Been thinking about Kalua pork.

Fire Me Boy! 12-31-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11988414)
Yeah... I gave the wrong link. That pressure cooker is the one I'm going to get. It has a pairing with this recipe book:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Press...RB58709CJYSNXS

I was going to link to the book for you, but erred in the process.

I have this: Pressure Cooker Perfection https://www.amazon.com/dp/1936493411..._KRCHwbY6D1ERM

Was just hoping someone might have something specific they need.

BigMeatballDave 12-31-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11988459)
Been thinking about Kalua pork.

What is that?

Fire Me Boy! 12-31-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 11988696)
What is that?

Hawaiian specialty. Pulled pork, basically.

JoeyChuckles 12-31-2015 07:05 PM

One of them says you can bbq/grill. How does that work?

JoeyChuckles 12-31-2015 07:08 PM

I see that you can cook meat in these things. Forgive me, I've never heard of this device. Does the meat taste like it was baked, broiled, slow cooked, or something else?

Fire Me Boy! 12-31-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyChuckles (Post 11988709)
I see that you can cook meat in these things. Forgive me, I've never heard of this device. Does the meat taste like it was baked, broiled, slow cooked, or something else?

Totally depends. Typically, the result will likely be braised if you're using the pressure cooker part.

The benefit to pressure cooking is by increasing pressure, you increase the boiling temperature. So instead of cooking at 212, you're cooking at 240-250, which despite it only being a 30ish degree increase in temperature will drastically reduce cooking time. So what might take 3 hours in the oven will take less than an hour under pressure.

It's super effective on roasts (pot roast), slow-cooked sauces (bolognese), soups, stews, chilies, etc.

Baby Lee 12-31-2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyChuckles (Post 11988709)

Mostly slow cooked, like a pot roast or corned beef. But you can 'smoke' in the sense of pulled pork with the right spices. Or you can 'steam' like a seafood steampot. You can also do meatballs or 'wet' style chicken wings.

Whatever you do, it's gonna be braised/wet, because the pressure cook uses liquid/steam to cook, so you're not getting burnt ends or slow smoked brisket.

Fire Me Boy! 12-31-2015 07:16 PM

Historically, my pressure cookers have mostly gotten used to make sh'loads of stock.

Fire Me Boy! 12-31-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11988719)
Mostly slow cooked, like a pot roast or corned beef. But you can 'smoke' in the sense of pulled pork with the right spices. Or you can 'steam' like a seafood steampot. You can also do meatballs or 'wet' style chicken wings.

Whatever you do, it's gonna be braised/wet, because the pressure cook uses liquid/steam to cook, so you're not getting burnt ends or slow smoked brisket.

Very true. Gots to have liquid or it won't come to pressure.

JoeyChuckles 12-31-2015 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11988714)
Totally depends. Typically, the result will likely be braised if you're using the pressure cooker part.

The benefit to pressure cooking is by increasing pressure, you increase the boiling temperature. So instead of cooking at 212, you're cooking at 240-250, which despite it only being a 30ish degree increase in temperature will drastically reduce cooking time. So what might take 3 hours in the oven will take less than an hour under pressure.

It's super effective on roasts (pot roast), slow-cooked sauces (bolognese), soups, stews, chilies, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11988719)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11988724)
Very true. Gots to have liquid or it won't come to pressure.

Thanks all for the helpful info. I may need to check into one of these. I am a novice at cooking.

srvy 12-31-2015 08:33 PM

My Sister got my 90 year old Mom one of these off QVC or HSN but it has been a disaster. Note my Sis thinks nothing is worth spit unless it comes from QVS or HSN. Anyway the intructions were about 6 pages and she couldn't get a roast done in it and had to transfer to oven. I took the name of it and thought I could find a better manual online directly but no such luck. We called the help line and got a person we for the life of us could not understand. We did get a book that was recomended and Mom gave another whirl and burnt a roast. This woman is still at her age a wonderful cook. She went back to oven and roasting pan and offered this thing to me. I declined as the though of ruining 12 dollar roasts wasnt appealing to me. I honestly think its a lemon I might take her up on it if she hasn't pitched it by now. If I could make it work for pork butt and pulled pork then it would be worth it.

Baby Lee 12-31-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11988814)
My Sister got my 90 year old Mom one of these off QVC or HSN but it has been a disaster. Note my Sis thinks nothing is worth spit unless it comes from QVS or HSN. Anyway the intructions were about 6 pages and she couldn't get a roast done in it and had to transfer to oven. I took the name of it and thought I could find a better manual online directly but no such luck. We called the help line and got a person we for the life of us could not understand. We did get a book that was recomended and Mom gave another whirl and burnt a roast. This woman is still at her age a wonderful cook. She went back to oven and roasting pan and offered this thing to me. I declined as the though of ruining 12 dollar roasts wasnt appealing to me. I honestly think its a lemon I might take her up on it if she hasn't pitched it by now. If I could make it work for pork butt and pulled pork then it would be worth it.

How do you burn something in a pressure cooker?

Ever hear of 'such a bad cook she could burn water?'

;)

Either this is a lemon and there's a pressure leak [which would be evident with steam pouring out the lid], or someone didn't put enough liquid in the pot.

Fire Me Boy! 12-31-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11988823)
How do you burn something in a pressure cooker?

Ever hear of 'such a bad cook she could burn water?'

;)

Either this is a lemon and there's a pressure leak [which would be evident with steam pouring out the lid], or someone didn't put enough liquid in the pot.

Some shitty cookers will scorch pretty easily. My 6 qt. will, depending on the ingredients. Something more starch heavy will scorch pretty much every time.