ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Hall of Classics (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Planet members and their kids serving in Iraq and Afghanistan need our support. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217140)

kcchuck 11-12-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6256195)
jeeezzz how much do one of those Costco suckers weigh? You trying to kill me on shipping cost?ROFL

I only found/sent the "small" big bottles at Costco, maybe 32ounce, but you are correct, if you started to send over gallon jugs, the shipping costs get expensive. The last care pkg I sent over cost about $160.00, but it had computer paper, printer, and lots of other goodies. PS, regular US mail gets there just as quick as any other method.

BigRedChief 11-12-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchuck (Post 6256329)
I only found/sent the "small" big bottles at Costco, maybe 32ounce, but you are correct, if you started to send over gallon jugs, the shipping costs get expensive. The last care pkg I sent over cost about $160.00, but it had computer paper, printer, and lots of other goodies. PS, regular US mail gets there just as quick as any other method.

Yeah, I made the deal with people. I'm covering all shipping costs. I'm going to use those USPS large mailing boxes. No weight limit. Just whatever you can cram in the box. I'm doing pretty good. Sitting in my barcolounger bitching about the Chiefs while some of my fellow countryman are just looking foward to not getting shot at, a hot shower. This ain't chit compared to what they are doing on a daily basis. They honor us, remind us of what is best in all of us.

BigRedChief 11-12-2009 08:45 PM

Okay, I got a great idea from mlyonsd to ship some instant snow over to the troops. Just add water and instant snowball fight. That will give them some good distraction, at least until it melts.
http://snowinseconds.com/

BigRedChief 11-14-2009 10:30 PM

Total money contributed so far is now $325.00 minus paypal fees. I've contributed all the paypal fees.

We are still seeking worthy units/individuals to recieve a package. If you know of one just let me know here or PM me.

BigRedChief 11-16-2009 07:34 AM

Okay, guys I think I'm going to ask the mods to unsticky this thread. I see this as a long term project and we don't want this thread as a permanent sticky. Put it back up as a sticky a couple of weeks before Christmas. I'll still bump it with updates. Sound good? Opinons?

patteeu 11-16-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6266528)
Okay, guys I think I'm going to ask the mods to unsticky this thread. I see this as a long term project and we don't want this thread as a permanent sticky. Put it back up as a sticky a couple of weeks before Christmas. I'll still bump it with updates. Sound good? Opinons?

Sounds good to me. It's a nice thing you're doing here.

BigRedChief 11-16-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6266553)
Sounds good to me. It's a nice thing you're doing here.

I'm just a facilitator, the Planeteers that are contributing the funds to buy the goodies are the ones making this happen. I'm just a pawn in game of life.

BTW, This is truly a bi-partisan project. As a matter of fact I think more money has been contributed by people who oppose my political views than support them. Supporting our troops has nothing to do with the politics of war. It has everything to do with honoring their service and sacrifice as a fellow citizen on a personal level.

kcchuck 11-17-2009 12:09 PM

Sorry for my delay, $ sent BRC, and thanks again for doing this!

BigRedChief 11-18-2009 08:02 AM

Total so far = $375.00

I'm going to chose to not disclose how much I'm personally paying in paypal fees and shipping costs. Would seem like bragging or something untoward. Unless someone doesn't like that idea. I've been trusted with other peoples money to provide "goodies" to our brave soldiers. Everything must be kept "above board" and transparent. And I'm not the boss. The community decides the big picture.

thawk 11-18-2009 08:33 AM

This is awsome for you to do. If you needed to you could probably raise money while tailgateing this weekend also, just an idea. Would just need to let people know where you would be if you are there. Also customes forms ask what is in the box. The troops love mouthwash. A buddy of mine always had to use Crown Royal for mouth wash because I put mouthwash on the form and it was not his fault I put a half gallon of Crown in the mail every month instead of Scope. How the game is played. He was 1st sergant so he may have had a little more leeway, but he said his CO was always asking him abiut his fresh breath so they know what is going on.

BigRedChief 11-18-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thawk (Post 6272475)
This is awsome for you to do. If you needed to you could probably raise money while tailgateing this weekend also, just an idea. Would just need to let people know where you would be if you are there. Also customes forms ask what is in the box. The troops love mouthwash. A buddy of mine always had to use Crown Royal for mouth wash because I put mouthwash on the form and it was not his fault I put a half gallon of Crown in the mail every month instead of Scope. How the game is played. He was 1st sergant so he may have had a little more leeway, but he said his CO was always asking him abiut his fresh breath so they know what is going on.

I already bought a bunch of those listerine strips that I found on sale for the packages.

I have a DOD secret clearance and a position of trust certification from the government. Can't risk fudging on the custom form. Theres no appeal, theres no process for mediation. Your clearance is pulled subjectively on purpose to keep us inline. Don't do a damn thing to risk it is the message, no matter how small.

But on the other hand my wife doesn't have a clearance.:rolleyes:

BigRedChief 11-26-2009 09:34 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all the troops that are serving and sacrificing so that we can be safe in our homes with football, turkey and sharing familiy time.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...nks_Troops.jpg

seclark 11-28-2009 10:59 AM

part of an email i got from my son this morning. he got two packages from cp members(see below):

"Hey pops

Sorry I haven't emailed you in awhile, but I have been flying a lot this
month. My thanksgiving was good, I spent it flying over Afghanistan. I got
one package last week from your buddies, and another today from xxxx
xxxx. xxxx sent me a string of Christmas lights made out of shot gun
shells. I will be hanging them outside my room. I also started reading the
cardinals book and it is really good. I will give it to you when I get
home, I am sure you will like it. Tell all those guys thanks for me. It
was really cool of them to do that.... "

again, to all involved in this...thank you from the whole seclark clan.
May God Bless you all, this holiday season.
sec

RJ 11-28-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 6299093)
part of an email i got from my son this morning. he got two packages from cp members(see below):

"Hey pops

sec

Very nice, sec, thanks for sharing a piece of that with us. God bless and happy holidays to your boy and all the rest of our military, especially those serving overseas.

BigRedChief 11-28-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 6299093)

"Hey pops

sec

Very cool. I'll send him another package at Christmas. Maybe throw in some instant snow. Snowball fight in the sandbox ought to be some fiun....

BigRedChief 12-09-2009 08:38 AM

Crazy Coffey was scheduled to head to the sandbox this week. Keep your head down pal and return safely.:thumb:

BigRedChief 12-14-2009 11:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6331149)
Crazy Coffey was scheduled to head to the sandbox this week. Keep your head down pal and return safely.:thumb:

Crazy Coffey is over in the sandbox now. I sent him 2 packages last week. One package had a Santa hat and a football and a Cardinals book (donated) in the other with the normal goodies.

BigRedChief 12-15-2009 07:25 AM

Bump in case you missed the new packages going out to Crazy Coffey.

OnTheWarpath15 12-15-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6348073)
Crazy Coffey is over in the sandbox now. I sent him 2 packages last week. One package had a Santa hat and a football and a Cardinals book (donated) in the other with the normal goodies.

Awesome, BRC.

If you could, send me a PM detailing your shipping arrangements - the Mrs. and I have a package we're planning to send in the next few days as well.

BigRedChief 12-15-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6348432)
Awesome, BRC.

If you could, send me a PM detailing your shipping arrangements - the Mrs. and I have a package we're planning to send in the next few days as well.

PM sent with addy.

crazycoffey 12-24-2009 12:22 AM

I recieved the package yesterday, everything made it fine and dandy, the christmas hat is a big hit, pictures to follow shortly, later today hopefully. (it's 920am here, lol)

thanks again BRC and all the contributors/supporters/well wishers. Happy Christmas eve.

BigRedChief 12-24-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCoffey (Post 6375442)
I recieved the package yesterday, everything made it fine and dandy, the christmas hat is a big hit, pictures to follow shortly, later today hopefully. (it's 920am here, lol)

thanks again BRC and all the contributors/supporters/well wishers. Happy Christmas eve.

Very cool. looking forward to some pics.

keep your head down good buddy and Merry Christmas!

mlyonsd 12-24-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6375733)
Very cool. looking forward to some pics.

keep your head down good buddy and Merry Christmas!

Awesome. Nice job.

Mr. Kotter 12-24-2009 09:20 AM

Great work here, Doug; we have a similar project we do at school and at our church for soldiers from SD. It's a very worthy cause. Keep up the good work, man. Happy holidays too.

BigRedChief 12-24-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 6375758)
Great work here, Doug; we have a similar project we do at school and at our church for soldiers from SD. It's a very worthy cause. Keep up the good work, man. Happy holidays too.

It's the Planeteers filling the boxes, I just facilitate.

PSA:
If the Christmas spirit moves ya, a reminder.....all and I mean 100% of all contributions go to the goodies for the troops. I'm paying all the shipping costs and paypal fees. So this Christmas think about someone overseas helping defend the homeland, they are away from their family, missing their kids etc. They could use a little reminder that their fellow citizens back home remember their sacrifice and appreciate them this Christmas.

BigRedChief 12-25-2009 12:05 AM

A Christmas Bump.

BigRedChief 12-31-2009 09:31 AM

A New Years Eve bump

HemiEd 12-31-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6256960)
Yeah, I made the deal with people. I'm covering all shipping costs. I'm going to use those USPS large mailing boxes. No weight limit. Just whatever you can cram in the box. I'm doing pretty good. Sitting in my barcolounger bitching about the Chiefs while some of my fellow countryman are just looking foward to not getting shot at, a hot shower. This ain't chit compared to what they are doing on a daily basis. They honor us, remind us of what is best in all of us.

Post of the year right here, how did I ****ing miss this thread.

BigRedChief 01-01-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 6394781)
Post of the year right here, how did I ****ing miss this thread.

It was stickied for about a month.:hmmm:

HemiEd 01-01-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6395740)
It was stickied for about a month.:hmmm:

This not the first time I missed a sticky, they should put them in a more obvious location. :D

BigRedChief 01-17-2010 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The next two boxes of goodies are on the way to Crazy Coffey. In this one, in addition to the normal goodies, I've put in some instant snow. About 7 gallons of snow. Use cold or ice water and you can have yourself a pretty good snowball fight in the desert. Or just save it for a few snowballs at a time.

BigRedChief 01-18-2010 12:28 AM

Bump in case some of the people who gave money missed the new shipment sent out.

BigRedChief 01-18-2010 09:42 AM

dang this drops off the front page fast

crazycoffey 01-19-2010 06:45 AM

HA! I can't wait, that's going to be fun! Maybe we'll throw a few snowballs at the kids that like to throw rocks at us!

Hey, I sent OTWP a few pictures to his email. I had a hard time loading them here. I'll try again though.

crazycoffey 01-19-2010 07:22 AM

OnTheWarpath15 01-19-2010 11:14 AM

Here are some of the pictures Coffey has sent from Iraq:

http://i46.tinypic.com/vq5w1l.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/334m58m.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/55ihjn.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/flg38l.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/nf0c5k.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2v14yl4.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/9gaiw5.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/kbwqjr.jpg

BigRedChief 01-19-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6460045)
Here are some of the pictures Coffey has sent from Iraq:

http://i46.tinypic.com/nf0c5k.jpg

Thats pretty cool seeing the boxes I packed over in Iraq. Man I got a lot in those boxes.ROFL

BigRedChief 02-04-2010 01:40 PM

Bump

OnTheWarpath15 02-04-2010 01:45 PM

Good news: Coffey is back home in STL for a 15 day (IIRC) leave.

BigRedChief 02-04-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6505444)
Good news: Coffey is back home in STL for a 15 day (IIRC) leave.

:thumb:

Iowanian 02-04-2010 10:01 PM

somehow, brotherwanian made a naughty list, and the bastards keep confiscating packages...

bastards.

BigRedChief 02-04-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 6506738)
somehow, brotherwanian made a naughty list, and the bastards keep confiscating packages...

bastards.

You want me to try to send him a pacckage?

BigRedChief 03-08-2010 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
next package is on the way to the son of Inspector. This one has a few letters of support from a developmentally disabled class that wanted to do their part and support the troops.

BigRedChief 03-09-2010 07:22 AM

Bump for the day crew that contributed to the Planet packages.

seclark 03-09-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 6506738)

bastards.

no shit? that really sucks. are they keeping the goods, or just searching through them?
sec

BigRedChief 03-09-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 6588994)
no shit? that really sucks. are they keeping the goods, or just searching through them?
sec

Hows your son doing over there in the sandbox?

seclark 03-09-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6589526)
Hows your son doing over there in the sandbox?

thanks for asking...he's been home for over a month. he was up a couple weeks ago to jump w/us in the polar bear plunge. he left the book you sent him for me to read. do you want it back? you could send it w/another package, i guess. great book.
sec

patteeu 03-09-2010 01:06 PM

Best wishes to all those serving in hotspots around the world and to their families who also have to deal with the stress of a deployment.

BigRedChief 03-09-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 6589534)
thanks for asking...he's been home for over a month. he was up a couple weeks ago to jump w/us in the polar bear plunge. he left the book you sent him for me to read. do you want it back? you could send it w/another package, i guess. great book.
sec

No ROFL thats okay, I don't know how many Cardinal fans are on the Planet that we have serving over in the sandbox but it can't be that many. I sent CrazyCoffey a book about sportsmans park. I guess we could send it to him when you get done with it....

Inspector 03-09-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6588676)
next package is on the way to the son of Inspector. This one has a few letters of support from a developmentally disabled class that wanted to do their part and support the troops.

Hey, thanks man! Very cool.

We have a skype call set up for this Sunday with him. Plus I believe Mrs. Inspector has given him a heads up.

Thanks to everyone here. You guys are A-OK in my book. :clap:

BigRedChief 03-09-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector (Post 6589773)
Hey, thanks man! Very cool.

We have a skype call set up for this Sunday with him. Plus I believe Mrs. Inspector has given him a heads up.

Thanks to everyone here. You guys are A-OK in my book. :clap:

It just went out today so I don't think packages get to the soldiers in the field that fast do they?

Iowanian 03-09-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 6588994)
sec

He was getting empty packages with hand slap letters, lately he has to go down and open them in front of Colonol Klink or ship them back....he's not doing that and none of them have come back yet.

His group have turned in vehicles and big weapons and are not really doing a damn thing....but that didn't stop them from shipping his ass back over to lift weights and play video games for 2 more months. No mail for any of them now.

bastards.

BigRedChief 04-28-2010 02:37 PM

I was going to send a new package to Crazy Coffey but he's currently not with his unit so is there anyone out there that has a friend, family member that is serving over in the sandbox that would like to have a Planet care package sent to them? Let me know in here or privately if you want to keep it on the dow low.

BigRedChief 04-28-2010 05:46 PM

Bump for the night crew.

BigRedChief 04-29-2010 08:15 AM

bump for those who missed it.

Dunit35 05-03-2010 10:19 AM

It's looking more and more like my girlfriend will get called for deployment. We are supposed to find out next week and she didn't go last time they were deployed. This isn't her unit but they have to pull people from other units to fill it. She's in the 205 Signal company.

The thing that pisses me off is some girl who does the same thing, will get the call but will get pregnant so she doesn't have to go. What a selfish move and I hope she gets caught.

patteeu 05-03-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 6732171)
It's looking more and more like my girlfriend will get called for deployment. We are supposed to find out next week and she didn't go last time they were deployed. This isn't her unit but they have to pull people from other units to fill it. She's in the 205 Signal company.

The thing that pisses me off is some girl who does the same thing, will get the call but will get pregnant so she doesn't have to go. What a selfish move and I hope she gets caught.

If you need some help, I could get your girlfriend pregnant for you.

:p j/k

Dunit35 05-03-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6732187)
If you need some help, I could get your girlfriend pregnant for you.

:p j/k

Funny...another option.

I do work on her and you pay for the child.

We'd love to have a child, we aren't ready for the financial responsibility and we aren't letting the government pay for it.

BigRedChief 05-12-2010 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Two packages went out today to the sandbox. One went to Inspectors son, the other went to Crazy Coffey.

BigRedChief 05-12-2010 04:44 PM

jeezzz this drops off the front page fast.

CHIEF4EVER 05-12-2010 05:51 PM

Great thing you are doing here BRC.

patteeu 05-12-2010 05:59 PM

Keep up the good work, BRC.

RedNFeisty 05-12-2010 06:54 PM

Fantastic job!! I would offer but I already send a care package over about once a month!

BigRedChief 05-13-2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIEF4EVER (Post 6754335)
Great thing you are doing here BRC.

Hey I'm organizing it and paying all the shipping costs but its the Plant community thats paying for the goodies that are going in the boxes. They are the ones making this possible.

BigRedChief 10-25-2010 03:39 PM

We have went through all the money that was orginally gave by the Planet for the packages. We need to decide if we want to continue doing this or not? What say you?

Same deal. I'll pay all the shipping costs, getting and packaging all the goodies. 100% of all the given money will go into the packages. I'll pay all the other costs out of my pocket.

HonestChieffan 10-25-2010 03:46 PM

Dont know how many people ship coffee to servicemen and women but Community Coffee has an offer that is fantastic....you pay for 4...they ship 8.

http://www.communitycoffee.com/About...taryMatch.aspx

BigRedChief 10-27-2010 01:05 PM

no interest?

crazycoffey 10-27-2010 01:19 PM

I'm game, time to pay it forward.

patteeu 10-27-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7123438)
no interest?

I'm in.

BigRedChief 10-27-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCoffey (Post 7123471)

PM me for contribution options.

As was with the first go around if you use paypal, I'll pay any fees to make sure 100% of the money goes into the boxes.

patteeu 10-27-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7123647)
PM me for contribution options.

As was with the first go around if you use paypal, I'll pay any fees to make sure 100% of the money goes into the boxes.

I've sent a magic paypal payment to the address you gave me when you started this thread. Thanks for your efforts, BRC. :thumb:

Buck 10-27-2010 04:18 PM

My best friend just deployed for Afghanistan today. I think he is going to Uzbekistan (sp?) first for like a month, but I'm definitely going to send care packages when he gets there.

What are some good things to send other than food?

Pushead2 10-27-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7123887)
My best friend just deployed for Afghanistan today. I think he is going to Uzbekistan (sp?) first for like a month, but I'm definitely going to send care packages when he gets there.

My best friend was deployed as well, what can I send or do to help??

BigRedChief 10-27-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 7123892)
My best friend was deployed as well, what can I send or do to help??

Give me a pm and I'll make sure he gets a package from the Planet.

You want to help buy some goodies, you can send a check or use paypal. But thats not neccesary to get your friend a package. Thats a done deal.

BigRedChief 10-27-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

When he gets settled pm me his addy and I'll make sure he gets a package from the Planet.

Buck 10-27-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7123919)
When he gets settled pm me his addy and I'll make sure he gets a package from the Planet.

Thanks a lot.

I'll pm you with details and paypal you some money.

BigRedChief 10-28-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7123721)
I've sent a magic paypal payment to the address you gave me when you started this thread. Thanks for your efforts, BRC. :thumb:

Thanks!

BigRedChief 10-30-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Look at the pictures in the opening thread. Thats the kind of stuff that you can send. Also Iowaian had some great off beat ideas that soldiers can use in their quarters.

BigRedChief 11-04-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCoffey (Post 7123471)

Got the pay it forward contribution. Very cool! :clap:

BigRedChief 11-20-2010 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First two packages are going out to CHIEF4EVER who is serving over in the sandbox.