ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc I need an idea person. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266989)

DRU 11-23-2012 02:51 PM

I need an idea person.

I've always been a software guy. Hardware kind of scared me. I stumbled upon this open-source microprocessor platform, though, called Arduino, and now my mind is running a million miles a minute.

It's basically a motherboard that comes with a very basic programming language to program it. You can go to Radio Shack and buy things like WiFi adapters, GPS signals, motion detectors, thermometers, cameras, light detectors, etc.

So then you can solder those onto the board and program them accordingly. We could trigger events based on things in the atmosphere. These events can be anything available as web services online.

For example, we could send out real-time Tweets or Facebook updates when the temperature in a room falls out of a given range, or when an object starts to move. Imagine packages automatically tweeting or texting the truck driver when they fall off the truck and are left behind.

Some people have made things like cat toys that automatically take pictures and post Tweets in real-time when the toy starts to move (assuming the cat is playing with it).

I've always been big into payments because there's a residual model there...you could give away the product and make a killing on commissions with transactions running through the solution.

I'm having trouble thinking of a practical use-case, though. I mean, I could trigger a payment based on the motion of your tooth brush, or based on pushing your garage door opener, or again, based on temperature in a room, how bright or dark the room is, how fast the thing is moving, where exactly the thing is located in the world, etc.

So, give me an idea, I'll build the hardware, program the software, develop a website for it, etc. and we can make a bunch of money together! If we could come up with a practical use and get a patent on it...we'd kill it.

Mr_Tomahawk 11-23-2012 02:52 PM

boobs.

Buck 11-23-2012 02:54 PM

Hmmm...maybe we could implement this to notify my mom when we're running low on hot pockets and mountain dew?

mlyonsd 11-23-2012 02:58 PM

Program it so it will turn your coffee pot on in the morning at a set time.

-King- 11-23-2012 03:07 PM

I have taken your idea and have copyrighted and trademarked it. Please don't speak about it anymore.

DRU 11-23-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9144300)
Program it so it will turn your coffee pot on in the morning at a set time.

They have those already.

DRU 11-23-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9144292)
Hmmm...maybe we could implement this to notify my mom when we're running low on hot pockets and mountain dew?

Smart fridges are right around the corner. Probably already has patents.

Rain Man 11-23-2012 03:18 PM

How big is the thing? And I presume it can be mobile for the movement sensing part?

Simply Red 11-23-2012 03:21 PM

DRU is so rad.

Mr_Tomahawk 11-23-2012 03:22 PM

I'd ask Nut.

DRU 11-23-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9144336)
How big is the thing? And I presume it can be mobile for the movement sensing part?

The standard size is this...

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploa...o_uno_test.jpg

The parts can be assembled into pretty much anything, though, so it doesn't have to be limited to this form factor, but this would be easiest for me to start with.

I've seen people weaving the parts into clothing and triggering events based on movement or temperature of the clothes.

Simply Red 11-23-2012 03:28 PM

Dru can you repair motherboards, like OEM's? Dell, HP and such....?

FAX 11-23-2012 03:28 PM

Very cool, Mr. DRU. There are, no doubt, thousands of applications for some kind of computer device that can automatically detect movement or temperature change.

Restaurants come to mind.

Very exciting, actually.

FAX

DRU 11-23-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9144355)
Dru can you repair motherboards, like OEM's? Dell, HP and such....?

With the help of Google, forums, and IRC chat, probably. Not something I'd like to spend my time on, though. Sorry.

Simply Red 11-23-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRU (Post 9144359)
With the help of Google, forums, and IRC chat, probably. Not something I'd like to spend my time on, though. Sorry.

It's very much 'in demand' - specifically the OEM's - to my knowledge there's only a few aftermarket companies in the states that can.

I was outsourcing overseas for a while, I had to stop as it wasn't worth it, still seeing the failures on the so called repaired boards.

I'll let you go on now, didn't mean to hijack...