ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers Somebody's gotta have the inside scoop on Google Fiber launching tomorrow..?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261759)

Mr. Laz 07-26-2012 11:36 AM

pre-register

Fiber is not available
in your area.

:sulk:

BWillie 07-26-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZootedGranny (Post 8768997)
$120 for internet & tv.
$70 for just internet.
Free 5 mbps connection after paying $300 construction fee @$25/12 month rate.

http://fiber.google.com/plans/residential/

Suck it Comcast

Saulbadguy 07-26-2012 11:42 AM

Not worth it.

/guru

Deberg_1990 07-26-2012 11:44 AM

Pretty cool business model:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/26...-plans-on.html

So no matter how badly the corner geek wants Internet speeds of one gigabit-per-second — 100 times faster than most broadband hook-ups — he won’t be able to get it unless about 10 percent of his neighbors also register for a Google hook-up.

Time Warner Cable became the principal television-subscription company in the market decades ago. It did so under a franchise agreement that gave it a virtual monopoly to sell cable TV, in part for a pledge to offer the service to nearly every home.

Since then, a deregulation of the industry has allowed other companies to sell hard-wired TV services in neighborhoods where old franchise holders such as Time Warner already offer services.

Such so-called overbuilders — Google now joins AT&T’s U-verse service and SureWest Communications among them — have certain disadvantages. They don’t just have to convince people to buy their services. They must also convince consumers to go through the hassle, and often installation expense, of switching from the incumbent cable provider.

But they also have some key advantages. For instance, they need only offer service where they see a profit. Outfits like Time Warner and Comcast Corp., on the other hand, were obligated by their franchise agreements to reach nearly every neighborhood — including those that pose geographic challenges or poorer areas where a significant percentage of residents are less likely to buy the most profitable subscriptions.

In that respect, there’s a certain savvy to Google’s rollout strategy. By only going into neighborhoods where enough consumers prove they’ll pay, the company builds in great efficiencies to building the network. No need to dispatch crews and rip up asphalt in pursuit of a handful of potential customers when Google can laser in on the most eager concentrations of subscribers

mr. tegu 07-26-2012 11:48 AM

Okay so I am not the most tech savy as far as speed, etc. What is so much better about Google Fiber than what we have here in the area now? And why is this such a big deal if is going to take so long to implement here? Also, when are they introducing it in other markets?

KevB 07-26-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IratePrimate (Post 8767683)
I hope it makes its way out to Blue Springs so i can tell comcast to take a hike.

I was hoping it would be in Shawnee so I could say the same to TWC. I've been watching for this since it was communicated. Disappointed it's not a larger map, but hopeful that it will get here at some point.

chiefqueen 07-26-2012 11:50 AM

I also saw no Fox Sports and I don't think I saw Fox News either.

cookster50 07-26-2012 11:51 AM

On the channel lineup, the website has an asterisk saying it is just an example, complete channel lineup will be available upon signup.

brorth 07-26-2012 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8769221)
I am not a great map reader, so I cannot tell how close I am to one of the eligible zone. I am near the zoo--435 and Gregory. I think I might be in one of the grey areas, but can't tell for sure.

Here.

Saulbadguy 07-26-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8769265)
Okay so I am not the most tech savy as far as speed, etc. What is so much better about Google Fiber than what we have here in the area now? And why is this such a big deal if is going to take so long to implement here? Also, when are they introducing it in other markets?

you can download the internet in seconds

mnchiefsguy 07-26-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brorth (Post 8769283)
Here.

I think I might be just outside the grey area. If I was in the grey, I could pre-register, right?

KCUnited 07-26-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8769208)
LOL, 1% of my fiberhood has registered, 114 more needed.

Only 110 more.

jiveturkey 07-26-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8769298)
Only 110 more.

Put a sign up in your yard.

Vote for Google Fiber 2012!!!!

KCUnited 07-26-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8769300)
Put a sign up in your yard.

Vote for Google Fiber 2012!!!!

That's not a bad idea.

Mr. Laz 07-26-2012 12:01 PM

if you click on one of the yellow areas it tells how many people have pre-registered and have more more are needed to get it installed in that area.