ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How much time did you spend reading in College on a weekly basis? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267370)

Cephalic Trauma 12-04-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9181677)
The thing that works for me now is reading the chapter prior to the lecture then I take as detailed notes as possible during lectures(I try verbatim as much as possible), rewrite my notes on word(using my words not the professor) grouped between tests, and daily I reread the notes 3 or 4 times.

This has to be a joke...

I have never seen anyone study this thoroughly in my academic career, and there are some neurotic ****s in medical school. Wow, if it works man, by all means... But wow.

Strongside 12-04-2012 10:56 PM

I was an art/advertising major. The only thing I read was the price tag under the beer I was buying.

Bugeater 12-04-2012 10:57 PM

Reading? That must be why I didn't go to college.

J Diddy 12-04-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9181691)
This has to be a joke...

I have never seen anyone study this thoroughly in my academic career, and there are some neurotic ****s in medical school. Wow, if it works man, by all means... But wow.

30 minutes to an hour to read a chapter(approximately 2 a week). 15 minutes per class day to rewrite notes (45 min a week). Reading 3 times a day (15 minutes a day, hour 45 a week)

4.5 hours a week for a 3 credit hour class is unreasonable?

It is working and sounds a lot more than what it is. I have to break it up in small reviews or can't remember crap.

Cephalic Trauma 12-04-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9181715)
30 minutes to an hour to read a chapter(approximately 2 a week). 15 minutes per class day to rewrite notes (45 min a week). Reading 3 times a day (15 minutes a day, hour 45 a week)

It is working and sounds a lot more than what it is. I have to break it up in small reviews or can't remember crap.

This initial post made it seem like each thing would take longer. My bad. And like I said, if it works, do it. Everybody has different ways of learning and performing well on tests.

As for me, I crammed a lot in undergrad. Once you get into the big boy leagues, you have to study daily, and develop new ways of staying actively engaged (like the ones you described). That will help you if you ever start thinking about grad school.

J Diddy 12-04-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9181731)
This initial post made it seem like each thing would take longer. My bad. And like I said, if it works, do it. Everybody has different ways of learning and performing well on tests.

As for me, I crammed a lot in undergrad. Once you get into the big boy leagues, you have to study daily, and develop new ways of staying actively engaged (like the ones you described). That will help you if you ever start thinking about grad school.

I've got to go to grad school. Be it phd or masters, haven't made up my mind yet.

Cephalic Trauma 12-04-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9181736)
I've got to go to grad school. Be it phd or masters, haven't made up my mind yet.

Good call and good luck.

Saulbadguy 12-05-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9181715)

Yeah, **** that. Unless it's grad school I don't see the point.

J Diddy 12-05-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 9182058)
Yeah, **** that. Unless it's grad school I don't see the point.

Got to get the grades. Scholarships, grad school, etc depend on it.

Red Beans 12-05-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 9180798)
In my 5 years in college I probably read a total of 20 hours. Now that I am getting ready to work on my masters it might be a whole nother story.

Count on it.