ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   A question about the Little League World Series. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122706)

Rain Man 08-29-2005 03:28 PM

A question about the Little League World Series.

When they field those teams, are the kids literally the same kids who were one team in a local league, or are they an all-star team of kids from an area? And if it's the latter, how big is the area?

Dr. Johnny Fever 08-29-2005 03:28 PM

I figured the question was "does it ever end?"

Buster's Dad 08-29-2005 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
When they field those teams, are the kids literally the same kids who were one team in a local league, or are they an all-star team of kids from an area?

They mentioned on one of the broadcast that the players were league all stars from one area

BigRedChief 08-29-2005 03:33 PM

There are different sanctioning bodies to little league baseball but the labels are bascially the same.

A
AA
AAA
Major

A is for recreational baseball .AA being the entry level of comptitive baseball and Major being the top level of play.

The players you see are "Major" league players. Then they combine the best players from around their area and make a "All-Star" team. Those are the teams that you see play in the LLWS.

But because they throw curve balls and spend their whole lifes revolving around baseball the majority are ruined by the time they hit high school. Only a handful of LLWS stars ever have made it to the Major Leagues and the big show.

Joe Seahawk 08-29-2005 03:34 PM

They are their league's all star representitives.. I coached my leagues all star team, but we didn't make it through the district tournament.. We never do.. :rolleyes:

Rain Man 08-29-2005 03:34 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info, guys. I've always wondered about that.

StcChief 08-29-2005 03:36 PM

What a waste. Burn 'em out so they can't play later.

How stupid.

Rain Man 08-29-2005 03:39 PM

My next question is why every team seems to have one kid who's 14 inches taller than everyone else, is the starting pitcher, and also the cleanup hitter.

Biohazard 08-29-2005 03:44 PM

Quote:

My next question is why every team seems to have one kid who's 14 inches taller than everyone else, is the starting pitcher, and also the cleanup hitter.

The one that is good on the field but not so good in school?

Calcountry 08-29-2005 04:13 PM

Quote:

Orange JUICE man, he drinks lots of Orange JUICE.

Simplex3 08-29-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnytrdr
Orange JUICE man, he drinks lots of Orange JUICE.

Don't forget the "vitamin R".

I saw a commercial for the Little League World Series that I thought was funny. They made some mention of it being a pure game. I about rolled thinking of that 43 year old Cuban "boy" pitching a couple of years back.

duncan_idaho 08-29-2005 07:21 PM

I think the main reason you don't see the big stars from the LLWS in college or pro ball is that the huge stars are simply overdeveloped 12 year olds.

I know that when I was 12, there were two types of good players: those that were good because they were bigger and stronger, and those that were normal sized but had good fundamentals. (I was one of the latter).

Most of the kids that were huge grew two more inches, then couldn't catch up to the rest of us when we hit OUR growth spurts. The best player I played with when I was that age was 5-9, 160 and threw about 70. He grew another inch and never was able to throw any harder. Then there was me, who was 5-3, 120 and threw about 55. Then I grew 11 inches by the time I was 15 and could into the 80s by the time I was 17.

My guess is, Kalen Pimental will fade into oblivion as the kids around him catch up in size and strength.

Oh, and it is possible to throw a good curveball without putting any strain on your arm, but you have to throw completely over the top. Most of these kids aren't doing that.

BigRedChief 08-29-2005 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho
Oh, and it is possible to throw a good curveball without putting any strain on your arm, but you have to throw completely over the top. Most of these kids aren't doing that.

I call:BS:. What a load of Raiders. You know better. How many kids do you know that use perfect motion on every pitch?

Every frigging scientist and Doctor in the world says it hurts the elbow and the tendons/ligaments in the elbow. There is no debate. The only people who say there is no risk are Coaches and parents/kids who are throwing a curve ball. Does every person devlop arm problems. No. But that is a tremendous risk that a 12 year old should not be taking.

90% of the 12 year olds that play "Major" now will not be playing high school baseball. They are casualties of being pushed by their parents, coaches. They have been brainwashed into thinking that if they want to play college ball and have a shot at the Major leagues that they have to practice 5 days a week and spend every weekend in the summer in a baseball tournament. And thats just a plain old fashioned crock of :BS:.

You can refine your skills. Make them better but the bottom line is you either have the talent or you dont and no matter how many days you spend practcing as a 12 year old or how many curve balls you throw it won't make a single bit of difference whether you make it to college or the big show, but it will rob you of a chance to just be a normal kid enjoying a game played in the dirt and grass.

Joe Seahawk 08-29-2005 10:34 PM

I had an unusual kid on my team.. One practice we were all standing in a big circle doing stretches and he confessed to being a lesbian..
:shrug:

Iowanian 08-29-2005 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Seahawk
They are their league's all star representitives.. I coached my leagues all star team, but we didn't make it through the district tournament.. We never do.. :rolleyes:

Its obvious you just need a couple of 14 year old Cubans or Dominican left handers with 90mph sliders..........