ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Has our defense been HARSHLY judged? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317610)

dannybcaitlyn 09-23-2018 02:59 PM

I’m for firing Sutton and promoting a interim coach to finish this year. Really can’t go anywhere but up from 32nd.

bobbything 09-23-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief (Post 13755312)
This.

****ing 2003 all over again.

That 2003 defense was light years ahead of this collection of dried up shit stains. They forced turnovers at the very least. The only thing anyone remembers is that playoff game with no punts. And that was an on-field abortion, but over the course of the season they weren't nearly as bad as this year's defense will prove to be.

It's terrifying to think that with a 35-10 lead you're still a little concerned.

ping2000 09-23-2018 03:41 PM

They need to donate their pay to charity. It was not earned.

T-post Tom 09-23-2018 04:35 PM

Laughed at the premise of the original post yesterday. Today I don't know if I should laugh or cry. To think of this defense causing an early playoff loss despite having this offensive juggernaut...well... :crybaby:

modocsot 09-23-2018 04:44 PM

It’s only a matter of time until a wise coach of an opposing team will realize that they just need to continue to go for it on fourth down against this defense.. The math would be in their favor. Our D would tire quickly. They’d score over 50 points and win the game.

DRM08 09-23-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modocsot (Post 13756534)
It’s only a matter of time until a wise coach of an opposing team will realize that they just need to continue to go for it on fourth down against this defense.. The math would be in their favor. Our D would tire quickly. They’d score over 50 points and win the game.

They struggled to stop people on 3rd and 20. I agree with you. Go for it on 4th down every time against this defense.

ping2000 09-23-2018 04:58 PM

No.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e25a9c2419.jpg

Jimmya 09-23-2018 05:06 PM

They were hammering Sutton on sports radio "we've seen this storyline before" referencing the Colts and Titans debacle.

RealSNR 09-23-2018 05:13 PM

Sutton isn’t the only piece of this diarrhea defense puzzle.

But he’s a pretty damn ****ing big piece.

The 2003 Chiefs defense, people forget, had a couple blowouts. They got turnovers and stayed aggressive when they had leads against shitty teams.

This team will never do that because of Sutton

chiefzilla1501 09-23-2018 05:16 PM

The problem continues to be... Why do we just suck donkey balls when we're protecting a lead? Once a-damn-gain the defense played pretty solid then just completely stumbled over themselves once we got up by a few. Aq

Chiefnj2 09-23-2018 05:20 PM

It's more of a case of lack of execution rather than scheme

Jimmya 09-23-2018 05:22 PM

The analyst said that "Sutton believes in 3 and 4 man rush with man coverage and he will never change his core beliefs, but in my opinion the game has changed because you cannot show the same defense on every snap to today's modern qb."

HolyHandgernade 09-23-2018 05:28 PM

They're not a good defense because they can't enforce their will upon the other team. But, I look at this team a bit differently than most. The defense plays well enough to allow the offense to build a lead and then plays prevent to drain time and not get beat for quick scores.

Its a frustrating strategy, especially for those of us who remember the glory years of the defense in KC, but say what you will, it is a winning strategy. It is not allowing the opposing team enough time to catch up and trusting the offense can bail out if necessary.

If we play more honest and pressing defense like we did in the first half, considering the injuries we have on the back end, it makes sense to give up the short and middle stuff to eat up time. It doesn't matter if you win by 1 or 30. If, on the other hand, you try play more aggressive, making the safeties more vulnerable, you run the risk of quicker scoring by the offense.

If I knew the safeties we have could get the job done, I would be more comfortable going to a more aggressive set. But if you know the safeties are vulnerable and you're consistently up over 20 points in the games, I think its smart to keep the action in front of them and make them eat the clock, hope you get a stop every once and a while or hold to a field goal.

We don't have the Rams' defense, its time to stop wishing we did. We will try to take advantage of our offense, hope the defense can do their part to stake early leads, and then hold on. So far, it is a winning strategy.

Randallflagg 09-23-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybcaitlyn (Post 13756069)
I’m for firing Sutton and promoting a interim coach to finish this year. Really can’t go anywhere but up from 32nd.

Indeed. Why the hell not. Sutton proves week after week that he isn't going to change up the Defense. It's time to send him packing and trying someone else. If not now, DEFINITELY at the end of the season.

Sutton needs to go.

HolyHandgernade 09-23-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randallflagg (Post 13756727)
Indeed. Why the hell not. Sutton proves week after week that he isn't going to change up the Defense. It's time to send him packing and trying someone else. If not now, DEFINITELY at the end of the season.

Sutton needs to go.

A 3-0 team is not firing their DC mid season.